Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

okay, now i get why people think that's Lady Loki in that one shot in the Loki trailer. There's a set photo of Sophia Di Martino floating around and well, yeah i can see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Rappaport posted:

That cat had better have a prominent role, Marvel :colbert:

I hope it's a Flerken

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love the Brazil look of the TVA. Control is probably more well known at this point but watch Brazil.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Invalid Validation posted:

They’re blowing their Marvel TV load this year. What’s the next TV thing lined up after Loki?

The animated show What If..., after which both Ms. Marvel and Hawkeye are scheduled for late 2021, with no confirmed release date for either as of now. It's somewhat of a coin toss which will air first too. I'm honestly pretty sure that Ms. Marvel will air first, because it had a trailer with shot footage included amongst the shots of staff talking about why they like the character etc. while Hawkeye was only at a stage where filming had begun and the best anyone had was set photos, but every time I bring that up someone says that Hawkeye will have a shorter post-production phase due to the fact the character inherently has less special effects. I think Ms. Marvel being at the point it had filmed footage probably indicates they were already doing some post-production and effects work even several months ago, but filming is only just about wrapping up now (and still on-going for Hawkeye), so only time will tell I suppose.

We also have Moon Knight, She-Hulk, Ironheart, Secret Invasion and Armor Wars, which will all probably hit next year. Moon Knight and She-Hulk likely being the first time from what I gather.

cyclical posted:

I don't care about She-Hulk as a character but Tatiana Maslany is an absolute marvel (haha!) so I'll definitely watch that. She was incredible on Orphan Black as... well, everyone.

She-Hulk as a regular Avenger is kind of boring, because she's just a Hulk knock-off in terms of her powers, being a super strong person who jumps good. She doesn't even have his "The angrier I am, the stronger I am" thing either; though she does get exponentially stronger as a Hulk than she is as a normal person, so training and working out as a regular woman makes her that much stronger when transformed. The fun part of She-Hulk is in her own stories, when they concentrate less on her as an Avenger, and more on her as a lawyer. She has been a bounty hunter too, though I never read that run so I couldn't comment on whether it was enjoyable or not. Still, the show will be about her as a lawyer, and speculation is that it'll be a comedy focused show that'll use second string characters from across the MCU in cases she tries to give each of them a bit more spotlight. You could have guys like Trevor Slattery (fake Manderin), Herman Schultz (Shocker II from Spiderman: Homecoming) etc. It's the show I'm most looking forward to personally, because I really enjoyed Dan Slott's run, at least for the first year or two, and a comedy about heroes in law cases could be fun as gently caress. The fake law firm Jennifer works for has is pretty neat too, employing speedsters as messengers and those guys who serve court papers, using long boxes full of actual comics as evidence in cases (the equivalent would be someone pulling out a copy of an actual MCU movie on bluray as evidence); that kind of thing. Whether any of that kind of 4th wall breaking humor will make it in to the show is anybody's guess, but the show has a lot of potential for silliness, world-building and focus on smaller characters that would never get their own TV show.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

She-Hulk as a regular Avenger is kind of boring, because she's just a Hulk knock-off in terms of her powers, being a super strong person who jumps good. She doesn't even have his "The angrier I am, the stronger I am" thing either; though she does get exponentially stronger as a Hulk than she is as a normal person, so training and working out as a regular woman makes her that much stronger when transformed. The fun part of She-Hulk is in her own stories, when they concentrate less on her as an Avenger, and more on her as a lawyer. She has been a bounty hunter too, though I never read that run so I couldn't comment on whether it was enjoyable or not. Still, the show will be about her as a lawyer, and speculation is that it'll be a comedy focused show that'll use second string characters from across the MCU in cases she tries to give each of them a bit more spotlight. You could have guys like Trevor Slattery (fake Manderin), Herman Schultz (Shocker II from Spiderman: Homecoming) etc. It's the show I'm most looking forward to personally, because I really enjoyed Dan Slott's run, at least for the first year or two, and a comedy about heroes in law cases could be fun as gently caress. The fake law firm Jennifer works for has is pretty neat too, employing speedsters as messengers and those guys who serve court papers, using long boxes full of actual comics as evidence in cases (the equivalent would be someone pulling out a copy of an actual MCU movie on bluray as evidence); that kind of thing. Whether any of that kind of 4th wall breaking humor will make it in to the show is anybody's guess, but the show has a lot of potential for silliness, world-building and focus on smaller characters that would never get their own TV show.

Tim Roth's already confirmed in the cast.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Hawkeye tested well enough to get his own show?

Really?

Huh...

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Loki should have new mundane legal problems every year. Like maybe he messes up his space taxes and has to go to the Space IRS and deal with a bunch of paperwork.

Also, forcing him to wear a cheap windbreaker is a better ironic punishment than trapping him in a cheesy sitcom.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

howe_sam posted:

Sure looks to me like Nat circa the first Avengers movie

I don't at all see how you get Lady Loki from that picture tbh.

"I'm sorry I called you a mewling quim."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

apatheticman posted:

Really?

Huh...

Not exactly. It’s more about him training the new Hawkeye, Kate Bishop.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not exactly. It’s more about him training the new Hawkeye, Kate Bishop.

Also, Spellman said that Marvel was taking pitches for all secondary characters. The only living secondary character not getting their own show is Happy and what would that even be?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
a series of web shorts where Happy sits in the McDonald’s drive thru and cries while eating hamburgers

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

apatheticman posted:

Really?

Huh...

One of the most successful and acclaimed Marvel comics runs of the last ten years was Matt Fraction's Hawkeye where Hawkeye was a relatively normal guy trying to defend his apartment building from Russian mobsters with the help of his partner/protoge Kate Bishop, the Better Hawkeye. I don't know that they're doing that run specifically but they're definitely trying to capture its energy.

howe_sam posted:

Sure looks to me like Nat circa the first Avengers movie

I don't at all see how you get Lady Loki from that picture tbh.

What's that coming off her hip? To me it looks like a scabbard.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 5, 2021

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

live with fruit posted:

Also, Spellman said that Marvel was taking pitches for all secondary characters. The only living secondary character not getting their own show is Happy and what would that even be?

Pepper Potts infomercial series selling arc reactor-powered wellness products

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
They're using Matt Fraction Hawkeye so maybe we'll get Pizza Dog and hobo Hawkeye.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

a series of web shorts where Happy sits in the McDonald’s drive thru and cries while eating hamburgers
Burger King, but yeah.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

One of the most successful and acclaimed Marvel comics runs of the last ten years was Matt Fraction's Hawkeye where Hawkeye was a relatively normal guy trying to defend his apartment building from Russian mobsters with the help of his partner/protoge Kate Bishop, the Better Hawkeye. I don't know that they're doing that run specifically but they're definitely trying to capture its energy.
They're doing that run as much as they can, but tweaking it so it's more about Clint training Kate to be his successor than "The Clint Show, co-starring Kate."

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/MarvelNewsHub/status/1334273023063441409

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Pizza Dog is a charcoal lab mix how dare they!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Plus, Hawkeye has a confirmed spinoff in Echo and a presumed spinoff in Young Avengers so it'll likely be substantial.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Hawkeye also has to be cheap as poo poo to film since it's just some schmuck with a bow

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

What's that coming off her hip? To me it looks like a scabbard.

It's a little cape that is flowing weirdly because she's sitting on a rock with her head turned forwards (her left) and her body turned right

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I love the Brazil look of the TVA. Control is probably more well known at this point but watch Brazil.

Loki's look also is giving me Noah Hawley's Legion vibes in terms of tech and set design.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hawkeye is going to be the best out of all the MCU D+ Shows because ya'll have such low expectations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Hawkeye is going to be the best out of all the MCU D+ Shows because ya'll have such low expectations.

Only if Mephisto shows up.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Beginning to get more interested

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Hawkeye will def be good because it has a good cast and great source material. I think the only series I’m really “concerned” about is Ms. Marvel because the actress is a complete newcomer.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

It's very appropriate for an archery-themed superhero to be the underdog this way.

I'm still a bit bummed that the only angle they found for Hawkeye in the MCU so far was "family man" and only hinted at the monumental arrogance that makes him fun in one movie (Civil War). Hopefully this version of Kate course-corrects.

Firebert posted:

Hawkeye will def be good because it has a good cast and great source material. I think the only series I’m really “concerned” about is Ms. Marvel because the actress is a complete newcomer.
Every MCU casting decision I was skeptical about-- Chris Evans, Chris Pratt, Chadwick Boseman, Benifly Celiac, Bradley Cooper-- I had to eat crow on because it turns out the casting directors really knew what they were looking for. I'm going to have faith in the new girl as Ms. Marvel.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The tracksuit mafia have been spotted on-set so they’re probably taking a ton of inspiration from that run.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/YAvengersNews/status/1336442835210547202

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

DrBouvenstein posted:

We're all glossing over the most important bit in that Loki trailer.

Loki and Owen Wilson's character are drinking Boku.

In their "pocket reality" or wherever it is that TVA exists, they can still get their hands on some mother-fuckin Boku, and I'm jealous.

This has to be them having a laugh at Loki having some serious Richard Lewis hair.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Gugu Mbatha-Raw seems like she might be playing a character tied to Kang in Loki. I generally can't gently caress with time travel stuff too much, but given that ship has long since sailed, Loki seems like a good setup to play around with it in a fun way, hope they just go ahead and go wild with it

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I just want to see Owen Wilson and Tom Hiddleston spar around each other for six episodes. I don't really care about anything else. Even in that trailer they have some dynamite chemistry.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

live with fruit posted:

Happy has to choose between his loyalty to Stark Enterprises and his true passion as a chef. He goes on cross-country adventures in a food truck, with Tom Holland and John Leguizamo.

Dustin Hoffman co-stars as the villainous Clock King.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

apatheticman posted:

Really?

Huh...

I’m not doubting the star power of the man behind the Jeremy Renner app, but I’d imagine it had more to do with introducing Kate.

Edmund Lava fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 5, 2021

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Edmund Lava posted:

I’m not doubting the star power of the man behind the Jeremy Renner app, but I’d imagine it had more to do with introducing Kate.

And the source material being one of Marvel's best books of the last decade.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AngryBooch posted:

Loki's look also is giving me Noah Hawley's Legion vibes in terms of tech and set design.

Yea, its like after Mad Men ended a bunch of sci-fi and superhero shows bought the sets, props and costumes.

I want to know why Loki is DB Cooper, a lot.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Every MCU casting decision I was skeptical about-- Chris Evans, Chris Pratt, Chadwick Boseman, Benifly Celiac, Bradley Cooper-- I had to eat crow on because it turns out the casting directors really knew what they were looking for. I'm going to have faith in the new girl as Ms. Marvel.

Yeah I'm not super skeptical, I just feel like if they wiff a show, that would be the one. Casting child actors is really hard.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Firebert posted:

Yeah I'm not super skeptical, I just feel like if they wiff a show, that would be the one. Casting child actors is really hard.

She's 18, calling her a child actor is a little harsh. But it's her first acting job outside of whatever she did in high school so it could go either way

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I want to know why Loki is DB Cooper, a lot.
Broad-strokes it's not hard to guess that it'll be a one-off gag of sorts as Loki tries to give the TVA assholes the slip, since we saw him invoking Heimdall and Thor and getting tagged by the BiFrost in that first trailer. Odds are he's going to bounce around some time periods for fun/cameos. I think we see him in Pompeii at the end of the latest trailer, plus the aforementioned ruined NYC (going to guess it's the version where Loki's invasion succeeded).

Firebert posted:

I do agree. The only reason I'm optimistic is because this is an MCU project to play a Pakistani-American girl... that doesn't strike me as a very tapped market for actors, so my guess is every girl who even kind-of fit the bill came out to read for it and they were able to pick the cream of the crop. I hope.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
She's easily the biggest nobody they've cast in a major role. Even for teenage characters, Holland, Newton and Steinfeld all had major credits on their resume before casting. Zendaya and Revolori too and they are in supporting roles.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I want a jacket that says Varient on the back.