Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cyril Sneer posted:

I have no idea what any of this stuff is and it all sounds reeeaaallll dumb.

Then you know more than you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

Alcoholic Depression Horse is a good show you should give it a try

I've seen a few clips and they sucked real hard so I think I'll pass, but thanks anyway :hfive:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PostNouveau posted:

Alcoholic Depression Horse is a good show you should give it a try

I'm already a lonely depressive alcoholic, I don't want to watch a show that's about the same thing!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm already a lonely depressive alcoholic, I don't want to watch a show that's about the same thing!

It's OK to cry over a cartoon horse-man

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Cyril Sneer posted:

I have no idea what any of this stuff is and it all sounds reeeaaallll dumb.

Me too, so I Googled it and really wish I hadn't. Libera te tutemet ex inferis

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Cemetry Gator posted:

The Simpsons, which was animated in South Korea.

Fun fact - they had some problems with the Itchy and Scratchy Movie episode. The overseas animation director was PISSED as were the actual animators.

But yeah, TMS and a lot of those anime studios were doing a ton of Western animation. They did some episodes of Batman, though that was also done in Hong Kong, Canada, South Korea, and a few other places. Same thing with Animaniacs and Tiny Toons Adventures.

I'm on season 16 right now. It's not *terrible* but there's a noticeable drop in writing quality. They make a joke about Korea animation or something and in the next frame, Homer's mouth sperates from his face for a couple of seconds.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

But you're not a horse!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's hard for me to get into shows about people and horses that are doing pretty well in life but have ennui.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I'll say the same thing I did last time Depression Horse came up: Moral Orel did it better

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PostNouveau posted:

But you're not a horse!

You don't know that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PostNouveau posted:

But you're not a horse!

More man than horse :colbert:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I loving hated Depression Horse for the first 6 episodes and didn't watch it for years after. I work with those shitbags, I didn't wanna watch a show about them. Then it turned out Depression Horse begins trying to do better, which is all I need to see for me to support a shitbag. Believing that assholes can self-improve is extremely necessary for my life.

I'm not angry. Just disappointed a lot.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

You don't know that.

It could be one of your exes

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

the horse show is good, actually :colbert:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Thinking about it I don't know how to describe Lenny as an individual character outside of that period where they always wanted him to get hit in the eye with something.

Unless they're still doing that joke.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Bojack is loving great.

You know what's really unfunny trash that isn't the simpsons? Disenchantment. gently caress that show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

Thinking about it I don't know how to describe Lenny as an individual character outside of that period where they always wanted him to get hit in the eye with something.

Unless they're still doing that joke.

They haven't returned to that well since the flashback episode that detailed the childhood trauma that made Lenny super freaked out by eye injuries.

Saalkin posted:

Bojack is loving great.

You know what's really unfunny trash that isn't the simpsons? Disenchantment. gently caress that show.

It is far less than the sum of its parts

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Saalkin posted:

Bojack is loving great.

Both shows suck

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Slimy Hog posted:

Both shows suck

Nah.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Every show sucks rear end and we're too dumb to notice

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bojack's actually one of the weakest points of his own show at times imo.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Bojack is extremely good. Disenchantment is... "less than the sum of its parts" is definitely accurate. Some of the characters are great, the art (and overall Futurama-but-lush aesthetic) is lovely, the moment to moment dialogue and line delivery are consistently quality, there's a decent narrative arc in there... but it doesn't come together at all and also the actual jokes mostly blow rear end. Especially the sign gags. Big annoying awkward vanity project that I usually get stoned and binge watch whenever a new season hits but I haven't bothered this time bc I quit weed a year ago

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Guys it's okay to say Disenchantment is loving garbage rear end boring unfunny trash dogshit, you don't have to dance around it

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Are there any good jokes from the classic era they haven't ruined in a bad callback?

Have they ruined Lester and Eliza

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
BoJack is great but if there was ever show that needed a HUGE disclaimer about how much it sucks at first, BoJack is it. The first episode is abysmal, full of try-hard edgy and completely hacky humor. The next few episodes improve slowly. I always say that episode 8 is where the show flips from churned out adult animated sitcom garbage to something worth paying attention to. It pretty much continues to improve from there and, in my opinion, becomes unquestionably one of the best things to come out of Netflix.

They were also really bad at marketing it through most of its run, showcasing the worst jokes. There is a drastic change in tone in the trailer final two or three seasons compared to the first few.

Also, it's overstated that it's all about depression, it is still 75% an upbeat comedy full of silly word puns and animal jokes.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

AHH F/UGH posted:

Guys it's okay to say Disenchantment is loving garbage rear end boring unfunny trash dogshit, you don't have to dance around it

i can't believe the creators of the simsons and futurama would make a bad show

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I got the vibe that Disenchantment basically wants to do stuff they didn't get to do with Simpsons and Futurama with long term character arcs, continuity and worldbuilding, but they clearly haven't actually kept up with how the rest of the medium has already been doing those things, or gotten much practice at it, so it comes off as half-assed and full of tonal whiplash as a result.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

From what I watched of Disenchantment I got the impression that the longer runtime really killed it. There are jokes in the show that needed snappier editing and delivery, and episodes with b-plots there solely to kill time. It doesn’t help that there are three central characters and one is extremely annoying, but I think the show woulda found its footing by now if it didn’t need to fill 10 extra minutes every episode

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

It took me a while to get into Bojack. I thought the art style was ugly and the first few episodes were just ok. The style grew on me though, especially when they started getting more creative, and by the end of the first season it was one of my favourite shows.

Tuca and Bertie, now that was a great show cruelly cut down before its time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

bitterandtwisted posted:

It took me a while to get into Bojack. I thought the art style was ugly and the first few episodes were just ok. The style grew on me though, especially when they started getting more creative, and by the end of the first season it was one of my favourite shows.

Tuca and Bertie, now that was a great show cruelly cut down before its time

It's getting a new season!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's getting a new season!

:neckbeard:
I'm very happy to hear that. Hope it gets on a UK streaming service quickly

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I saw maybe the first season and a quarter of Disenchantment, but have since exorcized most of it from memory. I do remember being really annoyed by the giantess episode because YOU ALREADY (think you) HAVE A GIRLFRIEND, WHY ARE YOU MAKING ONE UP?!

I also recall being confused that Elfo's character switched to being naive and optimistic when he'd been established as jaded and rebellious. I get that there's a different scale in the outside world, but it felt like they dumped a lot of the qualities that got him kicked out of his village in the first place.

Come to think of it, it would have been way funnier if Elfo had been pretty in line with all the elf stuff and made a dumb, cutesy faux pas. Then you bring out the candy noose.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The real problem with Disenchantment is that the jokes are largely just not very funny. I think its other flaws would be pretty forgivable otherwise.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The Moon Monster posted:

The real problem with Disenchantment is that the jokes are largely just not very funny. I think its other flaws would be pretty forgivable otherwise.

it's too serious for a comedy cartoon. I'm not personally fond of it but I'd still rather watch it on repeat rather than anything in the last 15 seasons of simpsons

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
we've groused about Disenchantment a bunch in this thread, but only because it sucks

I think most of the problems would be solved if the characters actually had personalities, but everybody is a jaded sociopath. also everything else contradicts itself. also the jokes aren't funny.

horse show good, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think a key thing with good comedy shows (and in general) is that they have to make sure every character has a role, that no one's redundant, and if someone stops having things to add to the narrative, you stop using them, or change them. Bojack is pretty good with that, the secondary cast changes and shifts around a lot and goes through their own arcs.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Show regularly has Tress MacNeille, Matt Berry, John Dimaggio, Eric Andre, Billy West, Maurice LaMarche AND Noel Fielding, and manages to waste ALL of them. It's a borderline crime against humanity.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Tucca and Bertie is awful.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The_Rob posted:

Tucca and Bertie is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I dunno about Tuc and Burb but how does everyone feel about Big Mouth?

I don't think I'll ever watch even one episode and that has never felt like a mistake to me but maybe I'm wrong