Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Basebf555 posted:

Still patiently waiting over here for Psycho Goreman to get added to Shudder. I'm hoping it'll be May.
Oh, weird. It has the Shudder card before the movie starts, so I figured it was on there first.

On a related note, the whole thing did give me really strong TerrorVision vibes. I really gotta rewatch that and see if it holds up.

Enemabag Jones fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Still patiently waiting over here for Psycho Goreman to get added to Shudder. I'm hoping it'll be May.

My Hunky Boy Edition blu ray should be here next week :smug:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Oh, weird. It has the Shudder card before the movie starts, so I figured it was on there first.

On a related note, the whole thing did give me really strong TerrorVision vibes. I really gotta rewatch that and see if it holds up.

TerrorVision does hold. quality flick.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I didn't see TerrorVision as a kid, didn't have a nostalgia connection to it at all but it's really great. It was a standout a few years ago for one of my horror challenges, definitely a "where has this movie been all my life?" feeling when I saw it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

:same:

Speaking of Shudder they recently put The Great Gabbo on there despite the fact that it’s more of a early sound curiosity and not a horror movie. It’s weird that the original insane ventriloquist movie isn’t horror actually considering all the subsequent movies it seemed to inspire.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I liked TerrorVision, but it's not going down as one of my favourite fun 80s horror movies or anything. Making the characters into dopey archetypes is the point, but as a result I don't really care about them. I totally recommend it though.

I saw Ted Nicolaou's name in the credits for Robot Jox and was like, hey, the Subspecies guy!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I didn't see TerrorVision as a kid, didn't have a nostalgia connection to it at all but it's really great. It was a standout a few years ago for one of my horror challenges, definitely a "where has this movie been all my life?" feeling when I saw it.

When I hosted a Spooky Night with TerrorVision, we had people over who weren’t regulars or familiar with my taste or the film, and loved it. They were excited to show it to others at the end of the night.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

If you didn't watch poo poo like Suburban Commando and garbage like that as a kid

All I remember from that was the alien bounty hunter (who was the loving Undertaker) pointing at Hulk and going, in a funny little kid's overdubbed voice, "YOW A DEAD MAN, WAMSEY!"

e: I would not call Happy Death Day 2 U a horror movie. Enjoyed it though!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They co-acquired the distribution rights with RLJE, RLJE got theater and VOD release first and Shudder gets the streaming

Basebf555 posted:

I've heard rumors for a couple months it's gonna be May or June

Was happily surprised to randomly see the DVD at Walmart last time I went there. Def had to get it for $10 :woop:

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
I just watched City of the Living Dead for the first time and the scene of the girl puking up all of her internal organs, which were apparently actually real veal intestines is one of the most hilariously gross things I’ve ever seen

Also :lol: at the story being set in New England on October 31 and not one person ever saying the word Halloween nor there being even a single decoration

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Drunkboxer posted:

:same:

Speaking of Shudder they recently put The Great Gabbo on there despite the fact that it’s more of a early sound curiosity and not a horror movie. It’s weird that the original insane ventriloquist movie isn’t horror actually considering all the subsequent movies it seemed to inspire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DoCYaWdKd8EA

Sorry, that scene pops into my head all the time.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Benito Cereno posted:

I just watched City of the Living Dead for the first time and the scene of the girl puking up all of her internal organs, which were apparently actually real veal intestines is one of the most hilariously gross things I’ve ever seen

Also :lol: at the story being set in New England on October 31 and not one person ever saying the word Halloween nor there being even a single decoration

watch American Guinea Pig: The Song of Solomon for the GOAT "puking up my intestines" scene

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Speaking of Shudder, is it worth the money now? I canceled after the Joe Bob thing, but I've got a little extra monthly income now and I'd like to give it another shot if it's actually got some good exclusives.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Speaking of Shudder, is it worth the money now? I canceled after the Joe Bob thing, but I've got a little extra monthly income now and I'd like to give it another shot if it's actually got some good exclusives.

imo it is, i also hate Joe Bob but i still subscribe

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The new season of Creepshow is off to a huge bang. Worth it for a month to catch that new episode if nothing else (skip the earlier stuff unless you can lower your var significantly). Also they've made some solid docs so you can pad the month out with those.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Kvlt! posted:

watch American Guinea Pig: The Song of Solomon for the GOAT "puking up my intestines" scene

I'm gonna take a "hefty no thank you" on that one

quote:

They just added 7 out of 9 Val Lewton horror films (though the two they don't have are arguably not even horror movies), so...yes?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Here have some chunky:

https://twitter.com/SYFY/status/1379114604794613764?s=20

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Glad to see that their planning on sticking with animatronics for the show, as opposed to the cheaper CGI-only option. Also kinda crazy to think that the cost of that has come down enough to make it economically feasible for television show budgets to be able to afford it; I believe at the time of its release, the animatronics in the original Child's Play were both the most expensive and the most comprehensive, in that Chucky was a fully realized animatronic character, which had never been done before.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I remember watching the Nu Image film Spiders a lot when I was a teenager. I don't know why, it wasn't very good if I recall. I just found it weirdly fascinating. The idea of giant spiders is loving terrifying but I haven't yet seen a truly scary rendition. I would love to see just a genuinely horrifying giant spider film.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
You know, if they did a real suspenseful throwback Chucky series, I'd be all about it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hell yeah Dourif's voice in full-throated insaneo mode got me psyched

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'll be the one who says they enjoyed Eight Legged Freaks. I thought it was a fun B Movie.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I'll be the one who says they enjoyed Eight Legged Freaks. I thought it was a fun B Movie.

It was fine. It had decent timing for kills and decent ramping, and while it went a little too much into comedy overall, it still had some interesting scenes.

I mean, much better than Lake Placid which is horribly paced, has around, what, two kills that aren't even interesting or fun, and doesn't ramp anything up and has a very weak finale as a comparison for another creature feature.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Lake Placid is a gem, what are you talking about.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I watched both recently and thought they were both better than I expected and perfectly fine but also nothing I'd go out of my way to recommend or rewatch.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Hollismason posted:

Eight Legged Freaks is good, and it actually holds up. It never tries to be anything more than a fun B-movie, and pulls that off.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The shape of that armature skull, could it be, the original Kevin Yagher design?!

(I don't actually know if the Curse/Cult of Chucky movies had Kevin Yagher attached, but Chucky definitely looked different in a way I wasn't really on board with)

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Wait it's a syfy tv thing? Does that mean chucky can't drop f bombs anymore?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

gently caress yeah he will

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SyFy's gone there for Blood Drive and Happy! recently so I gotta assume Chucky would have the clout if Mancini wants it.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Origami Dali posted:

"gently caress" isn't actually verboten on basic cable anymore, though that's only happened in the past few years.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just watched the first ep of new season of Creepshow and ehh. It's heart is still in the right place and it has its moments, but the plots are so super thin, and Nicotero just ain't the director to make it more interesting. It still doesn't feel like it has a firm identity.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Darko posted:

It was fine. It had decent timing for kills and decent ramping, and while it went a little too much into comedy overall, it still had some interesting scenes.

I mean, much better than Lake Placid which is horribly paced, has around, what, two kills that aren't even interesting or fun, and doesn't ramp anything up and has a very weak finale as a comparison for another creature feature.

Lake Placid is great.

I mean even if you don't like it, it's worth it for Betty White, before she got refamoused in the 00's, telling Bill Pullman to suck her dick.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Betty White is fine, but creature features where two people die 20 mins into the movie and then nobody else for the rest of the entire movie are not my cup of tea.

Especially when the main other crocodilian movie before it has awesome scenes like kids being forced to jump off a diving board into a giant alligators mouth (or the one after having really good setup/kill direction by Aja). Only highlights it more.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Darko posted:

Betty White is fine, but creature features where two people die 20 mins into the movie and then nobody else for the rest of the entire movie are not my cup of tea.

Especially when the main other crocodilian movie before it has awesome scenes like kids being forced to jump off a diving board into a giant alligators mouth (or the one after having really good setup/kill direction by Aja). Only highlights it more.

We're destined to never get good alligator/croc movies again I'm afraid. I went to see a double feature of Crawl & Midsommar a few years ago when they both came out and yeesh. At least I saw Midsommar second. Talk about a Beast and the Beauty situation.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Crawl was good though :confused:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah crawl rocked

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I was really impressed by Crawl, it's a super solid movie. Good actors, good action, good escalation, even good CGI.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gripweed posted:

I was really impressed by Crawl, it's a super solid movie. Good actors, good action, good escalation, even good CGI.

More movies need some sort of timer, and Crawl's is downright perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Lake Placid and Crawl are similar in that they're animal attack movies that have the confidence to not kill some random character off every ten minutes. So you have some people coming away from the movie complaining that there wasn't enough gator action but all in all I think they're better for it.

Lake Placid especially feels like a throwback to when the movie would be like 90% people standing around talking about the situation and 10% creature stuff, because they didn't have the budget for anything more than that and you needed a strong cast to carry it. And that's really what Lake Placid is known for, the cast is one of the first things people will mention about it.