Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah part 3 is a major gauntlet. Good news is that it only gives Geo as a reward, so feel free to leave it till the end of the game when you're totally maxed out on everything.

:eng101: it also gives a percentage point and a journal entry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Muscle Tracer posted:

not technically Switch-related, but:

How long before a C&D now that it's out there? End of the week?

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
I don’t think Metroid has ever been fun.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

crunchytacosupreme posted:

Super Metroid is a masterpiece. All the others are just okay imo.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Every Metroid besides Prime Hunters, Federation Force, and Other M, are fun

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

crunchytacosupreme posted:

Okay.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Papercut posted:

Super Metroid is a masterpiece. All the others are just okay imo.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Metroid Prime 1 was tbh incredible. This incredibly creative perfectly polished thing that nobody knew to ask for and couldn't be improved after several sequels. If using the phazon beam in the final fight didn't feel amazing for you idk what to say.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Super Metroid, Fusion, Zero Mission, and Prime trilogy are masterpieces. All the others range from great to okay imo.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

metroid 1 is not fun but luckily it's had two remakes

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I know it’s come up before, but is Lego City Undercover worth it? It’s on sale and I like the idea of turning my brain off.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I know it’s come up before, but is Lego City Undercover worth it? It’s on sale and I like the idea of turning my brain off.

I just bought it on sale and it’s fun and charming in the usual Lego game way. The city is fun to drive around in and explore.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

Super Metroid, Fusion, Zero Mission, and Prime trilogy are masterpieces. All the others range from great to okay imo.

lol calling Fusuion, the most linear Metroid experience in existence "good". lmao

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Nooooo you can't like Metroid Fusion it's too linear!!!!

Samus: Ice Missiles go brrr

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

hatty posted:

Every Metroid besides Prime Hunters, Federation Force, and Other M, are fun

Have you actually played federation force?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Mister Facetious posted:

lol calling Fusuion, the most linear Metroid experience in existence "good". lmao

lol it is good and there's nothing wrong with "linear experiences". lamo

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
MH: Rise kicks rear end. They've done a better job than ever of cutting away all the fat and leaving you with the pure, juicy monster-hunting that you want.

It's made me realize how much annoying poo poo World introduced (unskippable, god-awful story, the Handler, tons of plates to juggle whenever you get back from hunts).

The coop is great and simple to use, quick load times, lots of great fights and gear, wirebugs kick rear end both in and out of combat, it's just really good.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mister Facetious posted:

Fusion owns.

Also Other M exists

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

lol it is good and there's nothing wrong with "linear experiences". lamo

If it didn't have looks, it wouldn't be worth playing at all.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Fusion might not be as iconic as the other ones but I feel like the SA-X stuff was some fantastic nonverbal storytelling and was surprisingly scary and tense, especially for a GBA game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

Okay.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

No, they're right, I tried playing Fusion without a screen and it very much wasn't worth playing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

No, they're right, I tried playing Fusion without a screen and it very much wasn't worth playing.

You should get your GBA repaired.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

MH: Rise kicks rear end. They've done a better job than ever of cutting away all the fat and leaving you with the pure, juicy monster-hunting that you want.

It's made me realize how much annoying poo poo World introduced (unskippable, god-awful story, the Handler, tons of plates to juggle whenever you get back from hunts).

The coop is great and simple to use, quick load times, lots of great fights and gear, wirebugs kick rear end both in and out of combat, it's just really good.

Yeah. The thing I miss most is the "next gen" stuff in the hub, which was so busy with all the palicos, fancy scenery and stuff hanging around, but Rise is such a streamlined experience that the reduced downtime is worth it.

Also this might be silly but starting up my switch and getting into the game is so much faster than my PC, it helps a lot with grindy games like this that you're meant to keep coming back too.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Nah, it was on a Game Boy Player

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PantsBandit posted:

The handler was my good friend and I think this has more plates to spin? There's a lot more going on with buddies than I remember world having

Doesn't change the fact rise is a good time and I've somehow gotten almost 50 hours into it this past week

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Have you actually played federation force?

Yeah, not with friend though. It’s not terrible but I didn’t have much fun with it

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Mister Facetious posted:

Disagree completely and think you're severely underselling the game!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i don’t understand the looks comment. its graphics aren’t like a selling point or anything?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Len posted:

The handler was my good friend and I think this has more plates to spin? There's a lot more going on with buddies than I remember world having

Doesn't change the fact rise is a good time and I've somehow gotten almost 50 hours into it this past week

There's a lot more to learn upfront, the game's biggest weakness is that it doesn't introduce stuff well (tons of pop up windows aren't a perfect tutorial!) But as near as I can tell the Buddy stuff is:
1) Buddies to bring on quests
- tool to train low level ones up if you want to

2) Adventure you can send them on every five quests for bonus materials

3) Submarine/farm that you set up with whatever you want to dupe and then can just forget about it.

The game dumps all this on you upfront and doesn't explain why you might want to pay attention to it or that you can safely ignore it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Len posted:

There could definitely be stuff I missed but the only thing I can think of is the meowcenary stuff (which was in world) and I guess the dojo? But the dojo in particular you can totally ignore.

I felt like in World I was constantly short on items unless I was doing all the idle stuff between hunts. Haven't felt like that yet in Rise.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

Nah, it was on a Game Boy Player

I always wanted one of those.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

hatty posted:

Yeah, not with friend though. It’s not terrible but I didn’t have much fun with it

Consider taking pains to get a group together for it. I had a gas playing through it with a buddy; we were pretty enthusiastic about it by the time we reached the end.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PantsBandit posted:

There could definitely be stuff I missed but the only thing I can think of is the meowcenary stuff (which was in world) and I guess the dojo? But the dojo in particular you can totally ignore.

I felt like in World I was constantly short on items unless I was doing all the idle stuff between hunts. Haven't felt like that yet in Rise.

There's meowcenaries, training at the dojo, trading for stuff, your cohoot nest, and I'm sure the recruitment of them is way deeper than I care to ever learn.

And I've been hammering out idle stuff since the second it unlocked and I'm starved for materials. But that could be because I'm using a gun for the first time and it's way more involved than I thought it would be. It would be nice if it always set you back to full ammo between hunts and you got materials to craft more during a hunt if you needed

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Man, Prime was so good. 2 and 3 were great too, but back when Prime was announced, *nobody* thought that a 3D Metroid could work (myself included), but they knocked it out of the park. It's even more impressive considering Halo had just come out a year prior, so people already had high standards for a big sci-fi FPS. I remember a review of Metroid Prime that said "this doesn't look like it's GOTY 2002, it looks like GOTY 2012", and it does still look pretty drat good with just an HD texture pack almost 20 years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmtXltwKX3E&t=1529s

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
fusion is the best metroid

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Prime for me, then Zero Mission (my first) tied with Super, then Fusion, but all those are great. Prime 2 is also good but the two colors stuff is not great, haven't played Prime 3 since 2008 but playing the primes with Wii controls felt so perfect. Same with RE4 and 5 on wii/ps move. Wonder how they'd handle a prime 3 port.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I liked fusion. I do think it works more as a one off then like the future of the series but that’s also what it was do eh

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Fusion is a good video game :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Fusion does its own thing, it may not be as strong of a Metroidvania but it does do a lot of other stuff really well. As mentioned, the SA-X stuff was nice.

Its biggest flaw is introducing Adam, and really that’s more the fault of Other M for making him an rear end in a top hat instead of some guy Samus respected in the past whose AI handholds a bit too much.