Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CainFortea posted:

Did they copy oracles api for their own software or did they just use the api oracle published for accessing oracles software?

They took the publicly available java API for use with their own bespoke java implementation. Google did not want to re-write the API because then android would no longer be compatible with java code.

A response that made me chuckle:

https://twitter.com/mattblaze/status/1379136317423022080

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Did they copy oracles api for their own software or did they just use the api oracle published for accessing oracles software?

The software in this case is Java. They created a new implementation of Java that met the spec for Java without licensing it.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Most of the things you mention are situations where the owners of the API have freely given access to it. Java's API wasn't given away freely unless you comply with certain licensing rules. Google was unable to negotiate something and instead said "we're just gonna take it and see you in court." That set of circumstances rubs me the wrong way. I know all about Larry as a patent/copyright troll, and I don't think that Oracle's argument is right either to the full extent they were asking for protection. I think the issue we have is trying to stretch copyright law to protect something that it was not meant to protect.
I think looking at it from the lens of Google vs Oracle distorts things pretty badly. The de facto standard in the industry has been to treat APIs as covered by fair use, so it clearly doesn't discourage innovation. By locking things behind a license barrier, you'd be mandating unearned rents to existing companies who benefited from the more open policy. From a policy perspective, it'd be a big step backwards and a big hit to innovation to enable, say, Epic to charge 100k to anyone who wants to integrate with their EMR.

quote:

We really need something new to regulate this field.
On that we both agree!

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
This sounds very similar to IBM compatibles and reverse engineering the BIOS to make them possible.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

"gently caress Oracle" is always the right decision, the question is irrelevant.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

"gently caress Oracle" is always the right decision, the question is irrelevant.

Having built and shipped applications for Oracle, I'll just say that you shouldn't trust them to have your interests at heart or be a good partner. They are a cash extracting machine and they'll set things up in a way to put you over a barrel if you aren't extremely detail oriented. The lawsuit was of a piece of the other stuff they had us do to maximize legal leverage to optimize for cash extraction.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The QAnon Anonymous podcast, Behind the Bastards when they’ve had Frederick Brennan on, and Popular Front’s QAnon series have all tipped right up to the edge of saying this and heavily, heavily implied this to the listener.

Because it's been the most plausible theory but there's been no way to prove it so far, short of a confession from one of the principals. This interview is the closest we've seen to that happen so far.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

piL posted:

There is no good car analogy.

Maybe a gun analogy?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

shame on an IGA posted:

Agreed. gently caress google is always the right decision, too, though.

wins32767 posted:

Epic to charge 100k to anyone who wants to integrate with their EMR.

That's a different situation. This is like if a competitor completely rewrote epic's EMR (or at least the functionality they wanted) and then used Epic's established API so that people could port to the non-Epic AMR without having to change any code or applications that use the API.

There's more here than just using an API, and I think it trivializes google's bad conduct to boil it down to that.

wins32767 posted:

On that we both agree!

Yeah. I will admit that I am a little irritated by google's brazen actions and that is clouding my view of things.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Godholio posted:

Maybe a gun analogy?

Bike riding dog with a constitutional carry and ACAB shaved into its fur is more apt.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's a different situation. This is like if a competitor completely rewrote epic's EMR (or at least the functionality they wanted) and then used Epic's established API so that people could port to the non-Epic AMR without having to change any code or applications that use the API.

There's more here than just using an API, and I think it trivializes google's bad conduct to boil it down to that.
But isn't it the same legally? As soon as you say no fair use on APIs, then the copyright owner can charge whatever they want for use on whatever terms they want, right? Even if you go with mandatory licensing, the costs can still be excessive.

(I'm also 100% onboard with someone doing that to Epic, or even my own company's software. If you can use our API definition and build better software than us then we deserve to get beat.)

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

OpenJDK has had a Java runtime environment included in Linux distros since the early 2000s. Oracle hasn’t gotten a dime from that either.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Hekk posted:

OpenJDK has had a Java runtime environment included in Linux distros since the early 2000s. Oracle hasn’t gotten a dime from that either.

I think the distinction is that OpenJDK has a blessed by Oracle license.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

This should never be in question.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

wins32767 posted:

I think the distinction is that OpenJDK has a blessed by Oracle license.

Yup.

wins32767 posted:

But isn't it the same legally? As soon as you say no fair use on APIs, then the copyright owner can charge whatever they want for use on whatever terms they want, right? Even if you go with mandatory licensing, the costs can still be excessive.

Not necessarily. Compulsory licensing in music is not so prohibitively expensive that it makes it so music cannot be used. Instead music gets used in quite a lot of ways the creator never wanted or intended, but they have no choice so long as the end-user pays ASCAP (or whichever rights company) the correct fee. Saying 'no fair use' on APIs doesn't immediately mean that no API is useable without express consent from the owner if it's coupled with some sort of statutory/regulatory framework for the use. Such framework does not exist at the moment, which is why the outcome the court reached today is the right one based upon the extant legal even if I think it's not completely correct.

wins32767 posted:

(I'm also 100% onboard with someone doing that to Epic, or even my own company's software. If you can use our API definition and build better software than us then we deserve to get beat.)

Looking at things from a pure capitalist perspective, I agree entirely. I don't think anyone prior to this ruling would ever try, though. This ruling makes such a thing very possible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

wins32767 posted:

Having built and shipped applications for Oracle, I'll just say that you shouldn't trust them to have your interests at heart or be a good partner. They are a cash extracting machine and they'll set things up in a way to put you over a barrel if you aren't extremely detail oriented. The lawsuit was of a piece of the other stuff they had us do to maximize legal leverage to optimize for cash extraction.

Oracle took Sun, a company who basically worked hand in hand with Open Source, and gutted it to turn it into a revenue generator. gently caress them. Google sucks, but I'll take Google over Oracle anyday.

I hope this ruling turns around and fucks Casio as well.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Oracle took Sun, a company who basically worked hand in hand with Open Source, and gutted it to turn it into a revenue generator. gently caress them. Google sucks, but I'll take Google over Oracle anyday.

I hope this ruling turns around and fucks Casio as well.

Yeah, I have some stories. Larry Ellison is a Bond villain.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

wins32767 posted:

Yeah, I have some stories. Larry Ellison is a Bond villain.

Don't forget them basically piecemealing Oracle SQL's features so they could charge me, including basically limping the damned performance unless you paid for specific features.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Hi, this is oracle licensing calling. We've noticed that your processor has 64 cores and you're only licensed for 4.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://twitter.com/i/status/1379180163712311298

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

As someone who has to use an Oracle product to do their time sheet, let me just state that I support Oracle getting hosed hard by regulators, courts and the market.

Google can be next.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Looks like McConnell isn't the only one that can conjure up bullshit based on arcane, stupid rules.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1379198313371684866

Expectation was that the COVID bill ate up one reconciliation bite, then the second bite would be infrastructure. Now there's going to be a third bite, because reasons. The Senate is stupid.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I thought we knew Bannon and Co were the online disinformation dept for Trump. Also wasn't there a video where someone hosed up by entering the password for Q's trips or whatever a couple years back?

Like anyone can reverse the trips but it's loving ridiculous people think it's real.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

As someone who has to use an Oracle product to do their time sheet, let me just state that I support Oracle getting hosed hard by regulators, courts and the market.

Google can be next.

Yes. A thousand times yes. Their timesheet is total garbage.

I don’t understand how/why there are so many garbage timesheet programs. It shouldn’t be that hard.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

In "Georgia GOP will burn this state to the ground" news.

Forbes posted:

A group of Georgia lawmakers are demanding that Coca-Cola products be removed from their office suite after the company’s CEO panned Georgia’s new voting law, the latest boycott called by Republicans to retaliate against companies they claim are contributing to an “out of control cancel culture.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlie...sh=7f519e2d31b3

and in what the gently caress news relating to that

Forbes posted:

Voting rights activist Stacey Abrams last week asked businesses not to boycott Georgia over the new law, writing in an op-ed for USA Today that boycotts could hurt the same working-class people who will be most disenfranchised by the new voting restrictions. “[Leaving] us behind won’t save us,” Abrams wrote. “So I ask you to bring your business to Georgia and, if you’re already here, stay and fight. Stay and vote.”

I don't get this thought pattern. You could make the case that boycotting, I dunno, amazon for screwing with unions already hurts the people amazon are already hurting by getting people laid off? Why would the GOP flip sides on the issue if "They gently caress around" and "don't find out" because voting them out isn't going to work if they keep messing with voting.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 5, 2021

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

ASAPI posted:

I don’t understand how/why there are so many garbage timesheet programs. It shouldn’t be that hard.

The people buying the product are very well-insulated from the people who will use the product, and the people selling the product know that.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Best Friends posted:

The people buying the product are very well-insulated from the people who will use the product, and the people selling the product know that.

Sounds like another version of management_vs_labor.docx

Meanwhile this is awesome

https://twitter.com/notmynypd/status/1379202403027804162?s=20

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ASAPI posted:

Yes. A thousand times yes. Their timesheet is total garbage.

at a guess the interface that the HR people use is super nice, and you don't have to sell it to the schmucks who punch a clock

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sounds like another version of management_vs_labor.docx

Meanwhile this is awesome

https://twitter.com/notmynypd/status/1379202403027804162?s=20

That’s dumb...should be a picture of Sherman.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I will pay to use that toilet.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bulletsponge13 posted:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Google can be next.

I'm pretty sure it could come out that Google's predictive algorithms are powered by the hearts, brains, and souls of third-world orphans like Doctor Venture's "Joy Can" and people would collectively shrug because NOT having said algorithms would moderately inconvenience them.

Wasabi the J posted:

I thought we knew Bannon and Co were the online disinformation dept for Trump. Also wasn't there a video where someone hosed up by entering the password for Q's trips or whatever a couple years back?

Like anyone can reverse the trips but it's loving ridiculous people think it's real.

Giving Bannon a seat on the NSC was probably the worst loving self-own security breach of all time. I envisioned him sitting in archives gobbling up dossiers like DeVito's Penguin looking up first-borns to kidnap in Batman Returns.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 6, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bulletsponge13 posted:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

MazelTovCocktail posted:

That’s dumb...should be a picture of Sherman.

A lot of antifascist and indigenous groups don't like Sherman for the whole Indian Wars and expanding American empire thing.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

I also just wanted to say gently caress Oracle and recall that the software with a convoluted and confusing workflow that resulted in Citibank inadvertently sending $500 million out to Revlon creditors was another Oracle gem, "Flexcube."

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

RFC2324 posted:

at a guess the interface that the HR people use is super nice, and you don't have to sell it to the schmucks who punch a clock

poo poo sucks even on the backend
https://www.oracle.com/applications/peoplesoft/

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

And guess what the Army’s new integrated pay and personnel system is built on? Peeeeoplesoffft...

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Best Friends posted:

A thing about Putin that doesn't get reported much in the West (cause it's inconvenient) is that Putin is actually genuinely popular. Yes he rigs it all anyway but that matters more for the regional elections, in a free and fair system he'd still be president as long as he wanted, FDR style. The Yelstin years were an absolute nightmare and that's the only credible alternate path to Putin people see available. Which relates to another thing you don't see mentioned in the mainstream US media much: Navalny is extremely unpopular. People there have seen what happens when a pro-west pro-market reformer popular with the NATO nations gets in charge.

I don't think the West is anywhere close to realizing how badly we hosed up a once in an epoch chance to make a lasting peace with Russia by sending our shock doctrine psychos over there to help the mafia steal everything not locked down and help install an insanely corrupt alcoholic to look the other way while it happened. We proved every dark suspicion about the Western democracies correct to Russians in the 90s.

/was/ popular. you can only ride the post-90s economic recovery goodwill for so long, and growth has been stagnant for a while now. nowadays memories of the yeltsin era are fading, and putin's continued endurance is more inertia than enthusiasm.

putin has managed to successfully stymie the formation of effective organized opposition, but that just means there isn't a viable alternative to his continued rule. navalny is far from unpopular--if he were, there'd be no reason for the state to so actively oppose him. he doesn't have a flying gently caress's chance of gaining power, but he has quite effectively seized on the populace's discontent with those who are in power, even if that discontent isn't going to result in regime change.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Best Friends posted:

sending our shock doctrine psychos over there to help the mafia steal everything not locked down and help install an insanely corrupt alcoholic to look the other way while it happened.

I'd like to read up on this, do you have a recommended source/cite where I could start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Putey-pute's appeal is like that of the czar: "Strong man lead mother Russia. Make strong! Care for people, unlike evil local elites. If only Putin knew, he would put stop to corruption and abuse." Fortunately for him, he's not a Nicholas II and is actually hyper-focused on retaining power. Unfortunately for everyone else, ensuring a smooth transition of power would be detrimental to that goal and even improving quality of life or the economy is tangential, at best.