Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Circus Windows It's a Trap!

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad store

This week marks the end of the Circus Windows story, so we will be getting an extra comic this week. Furthermore next week Allison begins Author Unknown?, another comic starring Lottie and Shelly, which will be a crossover with Allison's Steeple cast and setting. I'll be posting the comic here unless there are objections by the thread.

Also I'm assuming that since this thread has only been exposed to Allison's Tackleford comics (Bad Machinery, Bobbins.horse) readers might be unfamiliar with the Steeple setting. I've started to put together a little character guide that I might post here. I just want the thread opinion on how I should do this. Should I;

1. Post the guide as a downloadable pdf. (I need to find a file-sharing site appropriate for this task)
  2. Post the guide directly
  3. Post notes with each new comic whenever some explanation is required. (I might do this anyway)
  4. Not bother with the guide at all. You can read Allison's own Steeple character guide here.

Please let me know what you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Other posted:

[*]Post the guide directly
[*]Post notes with each new comic whenever some explanation is required

My preference but obviously do what makes sense to you and :justpost: and thanks for doing it at all

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

I'm on tenterhooks to find out which promotion Georgia Dunn tuned into. Maybe she's into New Japan.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

~Coxy posted:

Tina & Lois

lol, excellent

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "11 - Jucika learns to play Tennis."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm on tenterhooks to find out which promotion Georgia Dunn tuned into. Maybe she's into New Japan.

Last year they did a "Tusslemania" storyline, and given the time of year, I'll give you three guesses!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That makeup is gonna explode into a puff of powder. I just dropped this little box of eyeshadow the other day and I need to replace it because the two I was using broke, it sucks. :mad:

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (July 31, 1952)

Aspidastra?

I'll give a little credit to this crank of an author for pulling an uncommon flower name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspidistra#:~:text=Aspidistra.
Then I'll take it back.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Endless Mike posted:

Last year they did a "Tusslemania" storyline, and given the time of year, I'll give you three guesses!

Ooh, ooh, is it "old FMW tapes"!?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LvK posted:

Ooh, ooh, is it "old FMW tapes"!?

Got it in one!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I love this stupid strip.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

As usual, Hal Foster is knocking the art out of the park in The Medieval Castle. But the storyline feels kind of distant, if that's the right word.

I guess that's the downside to using a couple of kids as your viewpoint characters: when there are big events like a castle siege, almost everything that actually happens is done by other characters, most of whom don't even have names. Contrast that to Val being involved in (and often instigating) everything that's going on.

I get what you mean. The kids are just too young to be the driving personalities of a story like this (and while I know their names, I honestly don't know which one is Arn and which is Guy, which isn't a great sign). I wonder if Foster was having trouble with this story since the circumstances meant he had no idea how long it would last and maybe hadn't really planned it in advance.

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 30, 1944)

The Medieval Castle (Jul. 30, 1944)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Warbucks is such a fantasy ideal of a capitalist it's ridiculous.

F Minus

They think they're helping but this will just cause more problems.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

OH COME ON

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I wonder if those are salmon burgers they’re eating in Mary Worth. I heard that dogs really like salmon!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
this mary worth arc is some real garbo and it just will not end

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (April 20, 1991)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Therapists are like dogs. They are friendly and listen to the things you tell them.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

nishi koichi posted:

I'm guessing that it'll take the rest of this week to finish the food court conversation on how the one visit to a therapist solved all her problems. Then next week will be taken up with communicating the good news about therapy to Mary. Then just two or three more weeks of happy scenes with all of them and the dogs, to put a proper denouement onto this thrill-ride of an adventure.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

nishi koichi posted:

Friend, let me tell you about dogs and forgiving the guy who abused you.... forever!

Oh, and there's muffins later.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

OH COME ON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

SubNat posted:

Moominposting

I like this Moomin story much better than the wild west or French revolution-ish ones. I dunno if the writer got better, or if it's just that this one doesn't rely on a weird time travel gimmick (even though the time machine keeps getting mentioned). It just feels more Moominlike, I guess is the best way to put it.

It took me about twenty seconds to realize that these were supposed to be butterflies.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Samovar posted:

Frankly, I'm no longer willing to grant him the benefit of the doubt.

Doubt or not, discrimination against Left handed people as dishonest and all has always been a thing.

loving southpaws.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Johnny Walker posted:

Warbucks is such a fantasy ideal of a capitalist it's ridiculous.
Some of it's real - like where the representatives of other nations are like "look, if only one country has nuclear weapons eonite then everyone has to have it to defend themselves" and his response is "I will exclusively supply my own country's military. Enjoy getting shelled."

Bogor

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Oct. 15th, 1940

Axa

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Twelve by Pies posted:

I like this Moomin story much better than the wild west or French revolution-ish ones. I dunno if the writer got better, or if it's just that this one doesn't rely on a weird time travel gimmick (even though the time machine keeps getting mentioned). It just feels more Moominlike, I guess is the best way to put it.

It took me about twenty seconds to realize that these were supposed to be butterflies.

ART MUST CONTAIN TRUTH! ART MUST CONTAIN TRUTH!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The_Other posted:

Also I'm assuming that since this thread has only been exposed to Allison's Tackleford comics (Bad Machinery, Bobbins.horse) readers might be unfamiliar with the Steeple setting. I've started to put together a little character guide that I might post here. I just want the thread opinion on how I should do this. Should I;

1. Post the guide as a downloadable pdf. (I need to find a file-sharing site appropriate for this task)
  2. Post the guide directly
  3. Post notes with each new comic whenever some explanation is required. (I might do this anyway)
  4. Not bother with the guide at all. You can read Allison's own Steeple character guide here.

Please let me know what you think.

Is posting Steeple itself here an option or is it no longer available anywhere (and is it part of the Tackleford series or something entirely separate)? If not, posting the guide and/or notes would work for me

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Huxley posted:

Dark Laughter is consistently the best "old" comic that gets posted.
the character designs are all just so full of weight and life and personality. Like even when Harrington just draws a crowd of people gawking about, you can recognize them.

also, though he never speaks in comic, my mind has decided Bootsie has a really quiet high-pitched squeaky voice

nishi koichi posted:

when did this godforsaken storyline begin? because i swear it was 2020

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Larryb posted:

Is posting Steeple itself here an option or is it no longer available anywhere (and is it part of the Tackleford series or something entirely separate)? If not, posting the guide and/or notes would work for me

Steeple was first a comic book at Dark Horse, and then had a follow up story at Steeple.church.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (April 22, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (June 5, 1918)

Banana Oil! (January 29, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (May 18, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (October 18, 1935)

Dark Laughter (July 3, 1943)

Mopsy Sunday (July 4, 1948)

Those Were the Days (August 7, 1952)

Wee Pals (July 9, 1965)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (September 6, 1933)

Peanuts (April 8, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 4, 1937)

Out Our Way (May 25-27, 1936)

And now, part one of the Life (With Skippy) catch-up of the two weeks I missed. Spoiler: neither of them landed near an Easter. (March 26, 1925)

Elsewhere in the issue:

Also, another fun late period Gibson girl cover...

...and another installment in the Andy Consumer saga. (John Held, Jr.)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

When it comes to empty Boomer nostalgia, Tom Batiuk's work is the comic equivalent of those 50s Diners which cover their walls with pictures of Marilyn Monroe and James Dean hanging out with Elvis in heaven.