Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Just finished another longish Mementos run right before the crew's Hawaii trip. Maxed out the cash bonus stamps and walked out with about 3.5M.

This is a similar feeling to when I first discovered you could refine cards into items and items into spells in FF8.

As an aside, it's been only a short while since the completion of her Palace, but Futaba is quickly climbing up the ranks of my favorite Phantom Thieves crewmembers. Bonus points for her willingness to dunk on everybody else on the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Arist posted:

Get to Death Rank 7 and they're half-off. Alternatively, if you're playing Royal, the accessories that give you skills are just better than SP regen.

And SP recovery items are much more abundant in Royal. I bought the SP adhesives and ended up almost not using them.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

lunar detritus posted:

And SP recovery items are much more abundant in Royal. I bought the SP adhesives and ended up almost not using them.

Yeah I treated my Royal playthrough like my P5 one with SP3s in everyone’s accessory slots and in hindsight it was a waste. By the time I played around with more of the new accessories I’d already fused my invincible Yoshitsune and was doing the usual Yoshitsune things.

I have a severe case of Potion Hoarders Syndrome though. Went out of my way to grab every single rare one day only SP item available, and finished the game having used maybe 3-4 total.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I just unlocked Death Rank 5, and can buy some SP patches (expensive!!) What’s the best way to get enough to outfit my squad with those ASAP?

Assuming you're playing Royal only Joker really wants one (and they are half price at Death 7) with maybe a second in your back pocket to farm up. The best way to sustain SP when delving is through baton passes after levelling your friends baton pass ranks up at Penguin Sniper playing darts and handing out low power elemental damage accessories to enable sweeps - and for boss fights you want the bigger items such as the ones from Will Seeds and to occasionally eat the bigger SP items.

The best way to gain money is a Mementos run of course. Preferably once you've reached Chariot 7 and can just drive over the weaker shadows (in base P5 you can't do this and may want to leave Ryuji at rank 6).

Re: Will Seeds as long as you got at least one of the set, Jose sells spares for 400 flowers each so you can get the full accessory with a bit of grinding

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

neonchameleon posted:

Re: Will Seeds as long as you got at least one of the set, Jose sells spares for 400 flowers each so you can get the full accessory with a bit of grinding

I was going to post that I couldn't imagine getting one and finishing a dungeon without getting the rest but I was really close to doing that in the last palace. Goddamn color puzzles.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like even Joker doesn't need SP patches as much due to ___ Bloodline and then the Cocytus-tier cost reductions meaning a couple of coffees and you can basically go forever.

I mostly stuck him with treasure demon stat boosting accessories.

Plus if you run around Mementos a bit you can grab Soul Food or Soma from Jose.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Also one of the new confidant abilities has a super high chance to just straight up give you like a third of your sp back when you’re low.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

I feel like even Joker doesn't need SP patches as much due to ___ Bloodline and then the Cocytus-tier cost reductions meaning a couple of coffees and you can basically go forever.

Depends how far through the game you are and how much piecing together specific personas you've done for Joker. I find the SP reducing bloodlines kick in late - and an Invigorate 3 skill card on my starter persona (the one rocking three Auto-Mas) means I can give up entirely on the SP adhesive - but I want it for about four palaces.

quote:

Plus if you run around Mementos a bit you can grab Soul Food or Soma from Jose.

Or even the party SP recovery items for safe spaces.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

neonchameleon posted:

Depends how far through the game you are and how much piecing together specific personas you've done for Joker. I find the SP reducing bloodlines kick in late - and an Invigorate 3 skill card on my starter persona (the one rocking three Auto-Mas) means I can give up entirely on the SP adhesive - but I want it for about four palaces.

Or even the party SP recovery items for safe spaces.

I'm pretty sure the bloodline skills come up as early as like, Madarame's and stack with Ann's trait.

But that point is so early you wouldn't have SP Adhesives except on NG+ anyways.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I think I just beat the base Persona 5 in P5R, and am at the save point right after christmas, at the save point just before the year end party. All in all, it was really good overall. The highs were high, the lows were low, and the middles were creamy. I felt it stumbled hard around September/October, managed to pick itself back up for the November palace, and while there were issues with the December palace, it all managed to end on a strong note. Though, apparently, (BIG SPOILERS FOR THE BASE GAME) in the base game ending it had Joker turn himself in? I mean, from what I looked up it ended up working out for him but I am not sure how I would feel about that.

Anyway, I do not know how the Royal ending will eventually shake out but hopefully it does not clash too much with Strikers (Which I still really want to play), which I hear does not really take things from Royal into account. On the other hand I thought I heard that some consider it a better lead in than the base game ending.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unlucky7 posted:

So I think I just beat the base Persona 5 in P5R, and am at the save point right after christmas, at the save point just before the year end party. All in all, it was really good overall. The highs were high, the lows were low, and the middles were creamy. I felt it stumbled hard around September/October, managed to pick itself back up for the November palace, and while there were issues with the December palace, it all managed to end on a strong note. Though, apparently, (BIG SPOILERS FOR THE BASE GAME) in the base game ending it had Joker turn himself in? I mean, from what I looked up it ended up working out for him but I am not sure how I would feel about that.

Anyway, I do not know how the Royal ending will eventually shake out but hopefully it does not clash too much with Strikers (Which I still really want to play), which I hear does not really take things from Royal into account. On the other hand I thought I heard that some consider it a better lead in than the base game ending.

That is in fact the base 'good' ending, though there's also a bad ending you can take.

Strikers was developed at the same time as Royal so yeah, sadly not even a token mention of the characters in it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Strikers doesn't refer to anything from Royal but it doesn't conflict too badly, either. There are a few minor bumps that are easy enough to handwave, to the degree that both are probably "canon" in the long run, to whatever degree that matters (which is, not much for this series).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What are my options for playing Persona 3 right now? I do not own any portables, and I have a PS4/5.

My PS2 might work, however it's been in a closet for almost two decades

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wasn't STrikers supposed to have cameos from P3/4 characters? It'd be nice if we got an P5 arena or something for that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What are my options for playing Persona 3 right now? I do not own any portables, and I have a PS4/5.

My PS2 might work, however it's been in a closet for about two decades

Yeah, that old PS2 would be about it, unless you're okay with emulation. I know some Persona fans are holding out hope for a P3 port/remaster for the Persona 25th anniversary this year but no announcements of anything yet.

Acerbatus posted:

Wasn't STrikers supposed to have cameos from P3/4 characters? It'd be nice if we got an P5 arena or something for that.

I don't remember hearing anything about that, but yeah, it would be cool to see some grown-up P4 characters and even more grown-up P3 characters in a hypothetical P5 Arena.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

Strikers doesn't refer to anything from Royal but it doesn't conflict too badly, either. There are a few minor bumps that are easy enough to handwave, to the degree that both are probably "canon" in the long run, to whatever degree that matters (which is, not much for this series).

As long as I could easily explain away in my head why certain characters aren't there, then I think I would be fine with it. It is a shame though; I thought that Royal did a pretty good job integrating the additional characters in the base game for the most part. Well, better than Marie in Golden was at least.

EDIT: Also, thank you to the thread for pointing out the best new confidant ability that the game tries to hide, Insta-Kill, which turns Mementos from a randomized slog to a vehicular man slaughter filled good time.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 6, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

As long as I could easily explain away in my head why certain characters aren't there, then I think I would be fine with it. It is a shame though; I thought that Royal did a pretty good job integrating the additional characters in the base game for the most part. Well, better than Marie in Golden was at least.

Oh yeah it's easy to explain way why certain characters aren't there for Strikers. Any relevant characters have built-in excuses for just not being around that month.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The original pitch for Strikers was a more traditional Warriors Licensed Game (think Hyrule or Fire Emblem Warriors) style roster, including characters from 3 and 4. As they started to focus on the story they realised they’d be able to make a tighter more interesting game if they went hard on the Persona 5 Sequel angle.

Also there’s at least one direct reference to the final palace of Royal in party/navigator chatter but that might have been added to the Translation.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like the game that Strikers became but also I absolutely wanted the full-on Hyrule Warriors experience of "here's every loving Persona character with six outfits each, now go kill four thousand monsters"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A more standard Persona or even SMT musou would be pretty sweet.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Acerbatus posted:

That is in fact the base 'good' ending, though there's also a bad ending you can take.
The P5 bad ending is maybe the only bad ending in Persona that makes any goddamn sense.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Unlucky7 posted:

EDIT: Also, thank you to the thread for pointing out the best new confidant ability that the game tries to hide, Insta-Kill, which turns Mementos from a randomized slog to a vehicular man slaughter filled good time.

Insta-Kill almost makes the very end of the game too easy, but by that point I was starting to get a little tired of the generic battles, plus watching my characters gain hilarious amounts of EXP and cash for smashing my cat-bus into things was a lot of fun

But also the entire game was fairly easy with the exception of the exact same boss battle everyone else struggles with so it’s not like there was some huge drop off in difficulty

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Funky Valentine posted:

The P5 bad ending is maybe the only bad ending in Persona that makes any goddamn sense.

I think the P3 one kinda makes sense, and the new P5R bad one.

DC Murderverse posted:

Insta-Kill almost makes the very end of the game too easy, but by that point I was starting to get a little tired of the generic battles, plus watching my characters gain hilarious amounts of EXP and cash for smashing my cat-bus into things was a lot of fun

But also the entire game was fairly easy with the exception of the exact same boss battle everyone else struggles with so it’s not like there was some huge drop off in difficulty

Instakill is kinda funny because at the very-very end game trying to get all 40 friggin stamps for da'at, it made it annoying because I had to briefly slow down near Shadows since I didn't need money/xp/personas/materials at that point and the 2 seconds it took was annoying :v:

Harrow posted:

Oh yeah it's easy to explain way why certain characters aren't there for Strikers. Any relevant characters have built-in excuses for just not being around that month.

Yeah, (p5 spoiler but not really p5r) Akechi is dead, in hiding, or in jail and Kasumi is just off competing or training. Makes pretty good sense why they wouldn't show up.

I think a bunch of confidants even get pretty reasonable explanations for not being around, like Iwai is on vacation with his son (though morgana or someone notes the sign in the window looks a bit old).

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 6, 2021

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

I'm pretty sure the bloodline skills come up as early as like, Madarame's and stack with Ann's trait.

But that point is so early you wouldn't have SP Adhesives except on NG+ anyways.

If you're pushing (and I don't mean specifically routing) you can definitely get at least one SP adhesive by the end of Madarame's. I remember in my second non-NG+ playthrough being low on cash after that palace because I'd spent a lot of money on SP adhesives and an overpriced lump of rock salt to open up the money sink confidant. (My NG+ playthrough on the other hand had a ludicrous amount of money and I gave up out of boredom).

And the bloodline skills come up in Madarame's - but they're only for one skill per persona and that early you don't have many personas - and the combat personas should be using multiple elements at that point IME (rather than having boost and amp skills and the like, plus resistances, and multiple skills in the same element; the AoEs only come in near the end of Madarame's) so they're nowhere near as reliable or even as useful.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just gotten to the final palace in Royal again and I had forgotten just how much I enjoyed it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo the new Royal content wastes no time

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Yeah, (p5 spoiler but not really p5r) Akechi is dead, in hiding, or in jail and Kasumi is just off competing or training. Makes pretty good sense why they wouldn't show up.

Some interesting cut content from the P5R ending suggests that Akechi was going to be in a rehab facility and be part of the group helping Joker get out of jail if you maxed his confidant. That got cut but the dialogue is still in the game files. Instead they decided to make his potential survival more ambiguous with a post-credits stinger.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Morgana Third Persona Evolution: oh no he’s hot

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wasn't Zorro already hot?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Unlucky7 posted:

Morgana Third Persona Evolution: oh no he’s hot

Diego being hot makes up for Mercurius sucking.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man I've been really wanting to finally play P5R but I'm still holding onto foolish hope of a PC release

Someday...

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

A few days into the Okumura story arc, and Ryuji's pretty much on my shitlist now.

Even after Morgana reunites with the team, his lack of apology for starting that shitfest doesn't sit well with me.

For all their bickering, I don't recall Morgana harping on his leg, his mom or the track team, while Ryuji in this arc has been constantly picking on Morgana's place on the team which is clearly a sensitive topic. There's being a dumbass, like he was in previous arcs, and there's just being an insensitive prick.

I'm not a Morgana fan by any means, but I'm definitely off the 'Ryuji is cool' train now.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

anakha posted:

A few days into the Okumura story arc, and Ryuji's pretty much on my shitlist now.

Even after Morgana reunites with the team, his lack of apology for starting that shitfest doesn't sit well with me.

For all their bickering, I don't recall Morgana harping on his leg, his mom or the track team, while Ryuji in this arc has been constantly picking on Morgana's place on the team which is clearly a sensitive topic. There's being a dumbass, like he was in previous arcs, and there's just being an insensitive prick.

I'm not a Morgana fan by any means, but I'm definitely off the 'Ryuji is cool' train now.

That fight was pretty much all on Morgana as Morgana had been making GBS threads on him for pretty much the entire game.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

That fight was pretty much all on Morgana as Morgana had been making GBS threads on him for pretty much the entire game.

The bickering was on both sides from what I saw in the prior arcs. Morgana picking on Ryuji acting like a dumbass and Ryuji picking on Morgana's attitude. Then Ryuji suddenly got personal in this arc.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

anakha posted:

The bickering was on both sides from what I saw in the prior arcs. Morgana picking on Ryuji acting like a dumbass and Ryuji picking on Morgana's attitude. Then Ryuji suddenly got personal in this arc.

The change was purely on Morgana's side as he was suddenly feeling more conscious that he was not as special as he thought he was.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

anakha posted:

I used to feel this way but on replaying it for Royal I sorta saw it differently. You haven't completed the arc yet but while there's never an actual spoken apology, there are some nice moments between Ryuji and Morgana that make it clear they've patched things up and I kinda liked it. They never specifically apologize to one another but they make it clear how much they care about each other by the end of the arc.

That said, you might be interested in how differently that scene plays out in the anime. It honestly feels more in-character for Ryuji than the scene in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ2DfAA9Q7s

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

anakha posted:

morgana escalated first because he was self conscious about losing the navigator position and thought “well at least I can keep dunking on that idiot Skull.” he wasn’t expecting ryuji to give as good as he got

it’s a trash fire of a story arc in any case

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

The change was purely on Morgana's side as he was suddenly feeling more conscious that he was not as special as he thought he was.

IMO, you can't really say the change was purely on Morgana's part because Ryuji started calling him useless after Futaba joined the team.

Up to that point, the bickering seemed mostly benign to me, but got personal after.

Anyway, I'm seeing other statements online that they didn't like the Okumura arc so maybe this just was a low point in the story. Still, I'm off the Ryuji bandwagon for now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, it is definitely the low point of the story in just about every way (except that it introduces Haru, who rules). The anime version of Morgana rejoining the team is honestly more in-character for both him and Ryuji and more consistent with how they both act for the rest of the game. It's maybe the only thing the anime does better than the game.

(Hot take: the list of things the anime does better than the game for Persona 4 is significantly longer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Harrow posted:

(Hot take: the list of things the anime does better than the game for Persona 4 is significantly longer)

Nanako was even more precious in the anime if that was even possible.