Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
There is no need for holding back. Unleash the slurry in its chunky greasy glory upon the masses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i wonder how this is even going to work in context ready player one could justify putting any stupid reference anywhere they wanted since all the extras and background elements were avatars but why would anyone invite the droogies to a basketball game

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Some Guy TT posted:

i wonder how this is even going to work in context ready player one could justify putting any stupid reference anywhere they wanted since all the extras and background elements were avatars but why would anyone invite the droogies to a basketball game

Villains vs heroes for the soul of film

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I convinced myself that the Iron Giant was also in Lego Batman, because they also shoehorned every WB property in that thing.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
DMX had another overdose. poo poo sucks

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Alhazred posted:

Maybe in an alternate universe where John Wick was never made.

John Wick is a Hong Kong action movie

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Low Desert Punk posted:

i miss him, he disappeared so fast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUEY44qMgjw

Serf
May 5, 2011

okay, i want to talk about this movie i just watched "shadow in the cloud" which i rented because i'm a sucker for weird war 2 poo poo. this movie is buck wild

the premise of the movie is that in new zealand in 1943 an english flight officer named maude garret played by chloe grace moretz boards a b-17 bomber called "fool's errand" for samoa with a secret mission concerning a package she's carrying. the crew of the plane, mixed american, scottish and new zealander think she's an aberration and a nuisance, so they shove her down into the sperry turret, entrust the package to a crewman, and take off. from here, poo poo gets crazy

for the first hour of this 90 minute film, it is 1000% percent moretz because we never leave the turret. she is the complete focus of the action, listening in and interacting with the crew as they treat her pretty much like an all-male crew of military men would treat a woman in the 40s. but she proves an able crew member, spotting an enemy plane before anyone else, though they don't believe her. at the same time, she is attacked by a human-sized batlike creature (a gremlin) which she manages to fight off with a concealed pistol, getting injured in the process. the movie doesn't hold back with injuring her, she takes a beating. she then has to contend with the crew thinking she's lost it and eventually she spots and fires on a japanese recon plane, destroying it. the crew becomes more and more paranoid as she jams herself in the turret, some of them spot the gremlin and the plane starts to malfunction but the captain doesn't believe the crewmen, and thinks that the package is responsible for the plane troubles. he orders the rest of the crew to overpower the one sympathetic crewman protecting the package. upon opening it, they find a baby. at this point, moretz reveals that she's actually an american fleeing an abusive relationship and that the aforementioned sympathetic crewman is actually the father of the baby. she forged the documents to get on the plane and she refuses to go back. the other crew begin to see the gremlin, but the captain refuses to believe it, and then we hear it burst into the upper turret where the baby's father is and kills him, taking the baby

moretz then spots the gremlin, holding the box containing her baby. at the same moment three japanese zeroes approach and a midair battle begins. in the middle of this fight, moretz screams at the gremlin "you have no idea how far i will go!" and then opens the hatch to the sperry turret and climbs out, shooting at it to drive it off. the baby's box is left dangling from a piece of metal and she climbs across the underside of the plane using the bullet holes from the zeros as the aerial battle continues around her. she saves her baby and manages to return to the place where her turret was (it got shot off) and as she gets the baby back inside, she falls out. at the same moment, a damaged zero explodes under her propelling her back up into the plane

inside the plane crewmen are picked off by the zeroes and the gremlin, which is now fully engaged in murdering the crew. the bomb bay doors open and as it dangles out of the underside of the plane she cuts off its tail with a crowbar only to find out that it can fly. as she tries to convince the captain to land the plane, the zeroes strafe the plane, killing him and injuring the co-pilot. she then learns that the baby's father is alive but hurt and as he protects the baby she and the tail gunner shoot the gremlin, sending it tumbling out of the plane. then, working with the co-pilot they spin the plane upside down to pull it out of a dive and crash into the beach. together, the survivors escape the "fool's errand" before it explodes. on the beach, she reconciles with the baby's father only for the baby to be snatched away by the gremlin

moretz smacks the gremlin with a piece of wood and returns the baby to its father before she turns around, rips the damaged sleeve off of her flight suit, and chases down the fleeing gremlin, grabbing the severed remains of its tail and pulling it back so that she can savagely beat the poo poo out of it. they then have a loving brutal showdown in ankle-deep water and she eventually uses its own wing-hook to tear out its throat. triumphant, she walks back to the beach, takes her baby, and proceeds to breastfeed it as the plane explodes nearby. roll loving credits

i went into the movie expecting a middling period action-horror flick, but the movie managed to remain tense for all 90 minutes and did some really unexpected poo poo. i mentioned a while back the cowardly movie "overlord" that refused to engage with the social conditions of the time to its detriment. this movie fully explores the sexism and racism of the time through moretz's character and the co-pilot, a maori man who is called racial slurs by his crewmates. this is by far the better weird war 2 film, and i recommend it as a nice pulpy bit of self-aware action-horror

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Spuckuk posted:

John Wick is a Hong Kong action movie

It's actually French new wave.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

She is 29 now. you are old

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Alhazred posted:

It's actually French new wave.

it’s actually the seminal film of the Keanussance

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Serf posted:

she falls out. at the same moment, a damaged zero explodes under her propelling her back up into the plane

just got to this scene lmao, thanks for the recommendation. this movie rules. don't read the spoilers

Serf
May 5, 2011

i say swears online posted:

just got to this scene lmao, thanks for the recommendation. this movie rules. don't read the spoilers

this reminds me, don't watch the trailer either. it gives away too much. it keeps the central twist intact but you see basically everything else

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/GrahamB47/status/1378154472891817984

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!
sounds like someone should be his bodyguard

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

what was the original context was that actually her intended bit or just how it got interpreted as a disembodied image

https://www.businessinsider.com/overly-attached-girlfriend-meme-originator-laina-morris-quits-youtube-2019-7

quote:

In 2012, Morris took part in a contest held by Justin Bieber, who was looking for someone to create a "Girlfriend" song to go with his hit single "Boyfriend." Morris' submission, a three-minute parody video of "Boyfriend" called "Girlfriend," portrayed Morris as a super-committed, super-jealous girlfriend.

The video resonated because of its funny lyrics, but also because Morris sang most of her song without blinking, staring into the camera the entire time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh0AhrY9GjA

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

She ended up getting about 10 ETH for that it looks like, about 20,000 USD at the moment.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Low Desert Punk posted:

2020 just never ends.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I wasn't too blown away by the movie, but it was an enjoyable enough ride.

The director, Roseanne Liang, also directed this short film that's pretty neat.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Serf posted:

okay, i want to talk about this movie i just watched "shadow in the cloud" which i rented because i'm a sucker for weird war 2 poo poo. this movie is buck wild

lmao, this was buckwild stupid indeed, but in the kind of fun way that is perfect for a lazy sunday afternoon. i enjoyed it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah it's good, watch it

Serf
May 5, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

I wasn't too blown away by the movie, but it was an enjoyable enough ride.

The director, Roseanne Liang, also directed this short film that's pretty neat.

drat, that short film is pretty good. liang seems to have a decent eye for action, i hope she gets to do more of it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched Sentinelle last night - a French production starring Olga Kurylenko with a plot rather similar to Taken. Besides managing to be Islamophobic and Russophobic at the same time, perhaps the most interesting aspect of the film is that for the protagonist to acquire a gun takes up a significant chunk of the film, which I thought was rather quaint compared to how American writers almost universally treat it as an afterthought.

The film also deals with the topic of the French military patrolling the cities in full battle-gear as an anti-terrorist measure, and just barely brushes against the problems of potential abuse of such power and how it gets tangled up with the police, but doesn't really go anywhere with it beyond showing that such issues exist.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

sentinelle felt exactly like a lovely 80s b movie but made today. i love d how its 70 minutes long and the end sequence is the hero killing five guys in a consulate thats empty for renovations except for the five guys hanging out there

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/stephcd/status/1378381883000643591

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doesn't the original Django film have the title 'A Pistol for Django' specifically because a lot of it is about the titular character trying to get one?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't the original Django film have the title 'A Pistol for Django' specifically because a lot of it is about the titular character trying to get one?

I think A Pistol for Django is the title of one of the unofficial Django sequels

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The 2000 t.v. movie version of Jesus Christ Superstar is an important cultural artifact featuring cargo pants Jesus and frosted tipped disciples

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Blood Boils posted:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBb0FKjyCdjr7pxhpsjmlrA

Fair warning he said he's abandoned his project to re-edit TFA into a better narrative

Don't remember why, time probably

Oh dang it exists, thanks

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i'm watching the 2020 The Stand miniseries and holy poo poo this loving sucks

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Low Desert Punk posted:

i'm watching the 2020 The Stand miniseries and holy poo poo this loving sucks

I watched like the first 10 minutes of the first episode. seemed bad, glad I didn't continue

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

has anyone listened to Hunter Biden on WTF and can report back

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/janecoaston/status/1379152878967914504

just what our grimdark trek needs a character whos famous for acting like a comical buffoon and solving conflict via literal magic

alternate joke

drat treks going full fishhook theory

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I got an apple tv+ trial and and just finished the first season of for all mankind. I forgot how an RDJ show works and how a lot of very slow ~~poignant and topical~~ commentary is punctuated by poo poo like an astronaut getting disintegrated by a rocket plume and another one just heaving a fuel tank to a dead ship like a fuckin javelin and the ussr dodging afghanistan and chernobyl and I'm just hootin and hollerin over here

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/janecoaston/status/1379152878967914504

just what our grimdark trek needs a character whos famous for acting like a comical buffoon and solving conflict via literal magic

alternate joke

drat treks going full fishhook theory

THE STORM IS COMING

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol the lyrics to this song rule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZE8TxSW6rA

"and your friends"

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
lmao they're making another batmen movie

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1379288433013690369

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao I hope this is real

https://twitter.com/DidymusSeth/status/1379042460697985029

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011