Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

BrigadierSensible posted:

The greatest sport ever is Test Cricket.

Matches last 5 days and sometimes nobody wins.

But also, the sport was invented purely as an excuse to get around anti-drinking laws. (There was some ye olde English law that prevented drinking on Sundays, so they just extended the cricket game, so the spectators were allowed to drink because ... laws were stupid back then.)

I had a Pakistani friend that tried to explain Cricket to me. The first part made sense. I was OK with it. Then in degenerated into madness. He was Cricket obsessed. It's all he talked about. There was some kind of a "World Series" Cricket thing he would make us put on in the break room. We had TVs in the call center and he'd make us switch them to Cricket.

From what I understand, a bunch of people stand around a lot. The bowler throws the ball in an awkward way so they can't throw fast. The batsman is dressed up with more armor than a hockey goalie for some reason. There's a bit with a bail and some wickets. You run a short distance back and forth between the wickets unless you don't feel like it. Then there's a tea break or something. Everyone wins? Everyone loses? Unclear but that's OK. Then there's something about the ashes or maybe not and and a bunch of people wear doctors coats or maybe not and you have to wear a sweater in summer. I'm pretty sure a cat is involved at some point who decides who gets the ceremonial cheese block.

I kind of lost focus after the running part so my description is poor.

However, American Football (Gridiron) gets just as wonky during play so I understand why I don't get Cricket. It's a different sport and it takes time to learn how to drink beers and yell at a TV in a bar for a while.

"Common Ref! QB was inside the tackles and a guard is not an eligible receiver unless he's wearing an eligible number or otherwise declared to the ref prior to the snap! That's intentional grounding!"

Yes, American Football is full of weird rules that we all know. Now lets have drunken argument about how a Center Sneak is legal somehow and then bitch about how no-one ever does the "wrong ball" fake in the pro's.

To argue standard bar scene yelling at the TV: A Center Sneak is allowable if the ball is fumbled so, yes, you can do a center sneak by making it look like a QB sneak, if the QB lets go of the ball after having control and the Center picks it up. Not recommended but it can be done. It cannot be handed off, he has to drop it straight down He must have control first. That's a fumble so it's a free ball.

I think, with practice, it could be done. Not safely, but possible.

Yay Cricket! Go *Insert your team here*!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cricket is like baseball except there's sticks instead of a catcher and you run back and forward instead of round in circles. Also the batting and throwing styles are different but eh.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I only ever read Douglas Adams' description of cricket and it was just xenophobia expressed by the old ultraviolence.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The reason I love Test Cricket is:

(And bear in mind this is just the opinion of one middle aged out of touch Australian)

Due to the archaic and obscure nature of the game, and the fact that a good match will last 5 days, (stopping for lunch and tea of course), it is the very nature of epic poetry.

Novels can be written about even the most boring Sri Lanka vs Zimbabwe run fest played on a Columbo road. There are ebbs and flows within days. You can get your arse handed to you for 2+ hours of play, go away have a biscuit and a drink, then come back and dominate, only for the opposition to do the same to you the next morning.

I also ADORE the fact that draws exist. It makes the wins and the losses mean so much more. The game I always use as an example is Aus. vs England Cardiff 2009. Australia pantsed England for the entire 5 days of that test. They were the better team by a magnitude. But it ended in a draw because Australia couldn't take the last wicket. A pair of Jimmy Anderson and Monty Panesar, both bunnies, (awful batsmen), of the highest calibre. So it ended in a draw. Which meant that even though Australia were the better team throughout, they didn't do enough/weren't good enough to earn a win. And England, despite being shithouse for the entirety of the game, didn't do enough/weren't bad enough to deserve the loss.

I am weird insomuch as I love poo poo like that.

Also, all the reasons I have written above are the same as to why I hate T20. Which will probably be the "cricket" that non-cricket people will be first exposed to.

Sorry for the rant.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Cricket's so simple literal toddlers play it

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

So cricket is basically "drink for 3-5 days straight and some form of sports might have taken place during this time"?

This is the reason we have Ice Hockey World Championship games every year or so and they take 2 weeks.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Der Kyhe posted:

So cricket is basically "drink for 3-5 days straight and some form of sports might have taken place during this time"?

This is the reason we have Ice Hockey World Championship games every year or so and they take 2 weeks.

Similar to the Bathurst, yeah.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Baseball kinda feels like it takes five days to play a game, but luckily someone invented whiskey which helps you to get through the whole ordeal.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

mostlygray posted:

I had a Pakistani friend that tried to explain Cricket to me. The first part made sense. I was OK with it. Then in degenerated into madness. He was Cricket obsessed. It's all he talked about. There was some kind of a "World Series" Cricket thing he would make us put on in the break room. We had TVs in the call center and he'd make us switch them to Cricket.

From what I understand, a bunch of people stand around a lot. The bowler throws the ball in an awkward way so they can't throw fast. The batsman is dressed up with more armor than a hockey goalie for some reason. There's a bit with a bail and some wickets. You run a short distance back and forth between the wickets unless you don't feel like it. Then there's a tea break or something. Everyone wins? Everyone loses? Unclear but that's OK. Then there's something about the ashes or maybe not and and a bunch of people wear doctors coats or maybe not and you have to wear a sweater in summer. I'm pretty sure a cat is involved at some point who decides who gets the ceremonial cheese block.

Cant throw fast?
Dudes can literally bowl at 160 kmh (100mph), and its a smaller, heavier, harder ball than a baseball. The armor isnt for nothing.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Gort posted:

Don't be daft, you can't give alcohol to toddlers.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Cant throw fast?
Dudes can literally bowl at 160 kmh (100mph), and its a smaller, heavier, harder ball than a baseball. The armor isnt for nothing.

I'm an American baseball fan. I can never wrap my head around Cricket. Not that I've ever tried too hard. But they definitely throw hard as Hell and this is still the best poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6qDnh-W0PE

And I absolutely want to go to Finland someday just to watch this Pesapallo madness.

A short 2 minute Jomboy breakdown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDrLcPxSBRk&t=1s

Longer explanation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yom1_q8WRck

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mauser posted:

Baseball kinda feels like it takes five days to play a game, but luckily someone invented whiskey which helps you to get through the whole ordeal.

So one of my old clients is a sports caster and he told me a few weeks ago to go watch an old baseball game I could remember from the 90's and compare it to a game from today. It's almost unrecognizable in terms of game speed. There was a player they used to call "The Human Rain Delay" because he would take about 15 seconds to get ready in the batters box to annoy the pitchers who would just want to pitch. Now it takes like 25 seconds for a pitcher to even think of pitching.

edit:
The obvious solution would be to cut all the TV time outs out of the loving game, but you can't do that since that's where the money is coming from. I'm sure someone's tried to float the idea of cutting the breaks in half and doubling the commercial charges, but I'm sure there's a reason that wouldn't work.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 17:48 on Mar 31, 2021

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Tony Phillips posted:

Cargo Cult Baseball

This feels like trying to read Dutch as an American. It's so close to familiar, but not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tony Phillips posted:

I'm an American baseball fan. I can never wrap my head around Cricket. Not that I've ever tried too hard. But they definitely throw hard as Hell and this is still the best poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6qDnh-W0PE

The extra funny bit is that cricket balls are much heavier and harder than baseballs.

I one got hit in the dick as a fielder which was not pleasant. Extra so when everyone is annoyed that you didn't hold onto the ball because the batter would have been out.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

By popular demand posted:

Says who?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Which meant that even though Australia were the better team throughout, they didn't do enough/weren't good enough to earn a win.

Yeah, that sounds like a game from the country that used to execute Admirals for "failure to do their utmost".

Voltaire posted:

Dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
It's never occurred to me before that the English word "encourage" doesn't necessarily have a positive meaning; you can encourage someone to do something through menace (which I obviously always knew was possible, but didn't realise that the word "encourage" could be used to describe it).
Thanks, Voltaire.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well yeah, because of the implication.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gort posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNPyZsPH8TI

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mostlygray posted:

I kind of lost focus after the running part so my description is poor.

The standard description of cricket:

You have two sides, one out and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get the side coming in out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_6d3JBBo4s

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Solice Kirsk posted:

There was a player they used to call "The Human Rain Delay" because he would take about 15 seconds to get ready in the batters box to annoy the pitchers who would just want to pitch.
Mike Hargrove. Rookie of the Year in the mid 70s, played til 85 with three different teams. Managed the Indians for most of the 90s. In addition to annoying pitchers, he was a tough out.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I thought you meant that he played until he was 85.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Lady Disdain posted:

I thought you meant that he played until he was 85.

Yeah, I was about to be impressed with the old codger

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, I was about to be impressed with the old codger

Do yourself a favor and look up Minnie Minosa then!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/SQpAHQP.mp4

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I like how the lioness just totally evaporated from the heat of its skid

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I like how the lioness just totally evaporated from the heat of its skid

If you get juked that bad going back to class before recess is over is basically your only move.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

By popular demand posted:

:colbert:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

If you get juked that bad going back to class before recess is over is basically your only move.

Juked so hard she just kept running off into the distance. The lion equivalent of a housecat eating poo poo and walking it off like "I meant to do that."

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Gonna have to call it something else , coz "Pride Rock" it ain't. smh

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Been a while since I've seen The Usual Suspects but Kevin Spacey was okay in it.

And like that...

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Okay the teething thing is freaky but the top one is saying the mom drinks beer and passes the hops and carbs through breast milk. When I had my first kids (24 years ago) my doctor suggested *one* beer a day to increase my milk quality. With my last one 4 years ago we had access to alcohol test strips for milk and whenever I'd go out for a rare night out I'd test in the morning and I never seemed to pass alcohol into my milk. So there's that.
Side note: I never did the one beer a day thing because I was scared.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Stairs posted:

Okay the teething thing is freaky but the top one is saying the mom drinks beer and passes the hops and carbs through breast milk. When I had my first kids (24 years ago) my doctor suggested *one* beer a day to increase my milk quality. With my last one 4 years ago we had access to alcohol test strips for milk and whenever I'd go out for a rare night out I'd test in the morning and I never seemed to pass alcohol into my milk. So there's that.

Scared of beer? By god woman you'll never be a good cricketer with that attitude!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Scared of beer? By god woman you'll never be a good cricketer with that attitude!

Drunken babies seem like they'd be way scarier than sober ones 😂

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Wait no sorry. I need a Goon reply.
Cricket? Nobody understands cricket. You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Apparently booze just makes babies sleep, rather than turning them into reckless arseholes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Jedit posted:

You have two sides, one out and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get the side coming in out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

You do the Hokie-Cokie and you turn about...

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Stairs posted:

Up until maybe 20 years ago, gripe water was a very common thing given to babies for colic in Britain/Ireland.

quote:

Despite much anecdotal evidence extolling the benefits of gripe water for colic, no formal evaluation has ever been undertaken. Until recently it had been assumed that alcohol provided the soothing effect. For a 4 kg infant, the maximum recommended dose of Woodward's gripe water (3.6% alcohol) would be the equivalent of almost five tots of whisky in an 80 kg adult. In some of the other commercial gripe waters the alcohol has been as high as 9%

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/014107680009300404

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

Is this what a script for a porn movie looks like?