Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

And yet poor Joe Blobbers shills for free...

(Assuming Croberts isn’t really JB, he has tons of time on his hands and I could see him filling that time by obsessively googling his name and Star Citizen and laying into the doubters)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Trilobite posted:

True. But if CIG ever manage to solve The Riddle of Chris ("What is release, anyway?"), they're multiply hosed no matter what.

I mean, what's their business model if they have to release their minimum viable product and can't hide behind "It's alpha! It's tier zero! It's a pledge, not a sale!" anymore? They've said that they won't continue to sell ships for cash money after 'release', but c'mon, they're going to keep selling ships, it's the only way they know how to operate, and Amazon's not going to give them servers for free. Plus, assuming Chris doesn't pull a Lord British and scuttle out the side door mumbling how he was only a creative director the whole time, his work here is done and he must away to tend to his ravens, etc., how else can CIG pay his salary? How would they afford to continue development (or continue the appearance of development) without some kind of income?

There's a good argument to be made that CIG would just say, "yeah, gently caress you, new money's all we care about" and let the whales complain about how their $4000 chariot has been nerfed and devalued. They've done it before, after all. Move the complaints to concern, mobilize/astroturf some "we all knew those were pledges, just GIFTS to fund development, never meant to reflect the actual in-game value of the ships" posts to throw up a smokescreen, and talk about how they are constantly looking for ways to improve the game balance and the patch after the next one will introduce some changes. Hell, they might even actually try balancing the game, although if they keep selling ships, then the newest ship will always have to punch more above its weight than the one before, so good luck with that, I guess.

That's a really good point. If they don't charge a monthly fee to play, and they burn through all the pre-sold-dlc just to produce the game, what money will they use to support its operation and new content?

And if its selling ships, then those ships have to be painfully hard to acquire without paying, or who would pay?

So yeah, everything is hosed and the game can never be balanced or approach "fun".

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I said come in! posted:

I should have learned a long time ago that the answer is literally always no.

Betteridge's Law of Star Citizen Progress.

Betteridge's Law of Star Citizen Incredulity, on the other hand, answers all questions with "Yes, really, but worse than your worst case assumptions."

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/FpkNf7s.gifv

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

One thing that strikes me is that Planetside 2 basically does what SC wants to do but on a planetary rather than galactic scale. It supports a fuckload of people, has flight and foot sections at the same time, ect. Yes its faked and yes the engine is years out of date but that would have made way more sense than loving Cryengine.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

One time I loaded up Daikatana with 3 friends and we had a blast

You guys just need to learn to relax and enjoy games :)

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sarsapariller posted:

One time I loaded up Daikatana with 3 friends and we had a blast

You guys just need to learn to relax and enjoy games :)

Did Romero make you all his bitches, though?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

https://twitter.com/Wakapedia/status/1378094716315664388

When you can't hire full sail grads any more, hire/promote from the community, I always say. (technically I think this dude got hired a while ago but lmao at all these promotions flyin around)

Also someone tell jake I've already made the perfect spicy chicken sandwich

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Popete posted:

Elite Dangerous is on sale for $7.49 on Steam and includes the previous Horizons expansion with millions (billions?) of empty planets to explore. Or you could buy a single useless starter ship in Star Citizen for $45 and explore 1 of 4 empty planets.

I've been playing the Odyssey on-foot stuff, and the stealthy sneaking around gameplay is totally my poo poo. I'm really enjoying this. FD has built some really cool bits and pieces into how the various settlements work.

My favourite achievement so far has been to jump up onto the roof of a large Storage building (low G world - would have to use the stairs otherwise), "clone-scan" the Level 2 Access ID of a worker dude I could see through a skylight, then sneak past the patrolling npc commandos (lol) into the Command building. In there, I found a Level 3 Access person wandering around, and sneakily cloned his ID without being spotted... which I then used to get into the "security brig" area - a restricted zone that would see lots of angry, well-armed npcs descend upon me if I were spotted there. In that area was a control panel that let me shut off the settlement's alarm system - flicked that, then got out asap. Next, sneaked over to the Power generator building - Level 3 access, so now an open door to me. I was able to steal the magic critical component that made the generator run... without the alarm going off. After a 60-second countdown, the settlement plunged into darkness, and away I ran to call up a boring taxi ride back to the station.

Luckily, there were no ramps anywhere, or sandworms.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Mr Fronts posted:

I've been playing the Odyssey on-foot stuff, and the stealthy sneaking around gameplay is totally my poo poo. I'm really enjoying this. FD has built some really cool bits and pieces into how the various settlements work.

My favourite achievement so far has been to jump up onto the roof of a large Storage building (low G world - would have to use the stairs otherwise), "clone-scan" the Level 2 Access ID of a worker dude I could see through a skylight, then sneak past the patrolling npc commandos (lol) into the Command building. In there, I found a Level 3 Access person wandering around, and sneakily cloned his ID without being spotted... which I then used to get into the "security brig" area - a restricted zone that would see lots of angry, well-armed npcs descend upon me if I were spotted there. In that area was a control panel that let me shut off the settlement's alarm system - flicked that, then got out asap. Next, sneaked over to the Power generator building - Level 3 access, so now an open door to me. I was able to steal the magic critical component that made the generator run... without the alarm going off. After a 60-second countdown, the settlement plunged into darkness, and away I ran to call up a boring taxi ride back to the station.

Lmao even while doing stupid poo poo like the space taxis frontier has managed to make more engaging on foot gameplay than Star citizen on their first attempt. That rules

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Do they only hire the most insufferable people to staff their community management team?

Who types like that? I was waiting for a fedora tip and a m'lady in there are some point

Also; if anyone ever says it's their privilege to work at a company it means they don't value themselves at all, and probably will be gone within the year for someone way more qualified

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 6, 2021

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Blue On Blue posted:

Also; if anyone ever says it's their privilege to work at a company it means they don't value themselves at all, and probably will be gone within the year for someone way more qualified

Luckily for those guys, no one more qualified will ever want to work there.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This is the guy who took credit for the new roadmap like a month after he started working at CIG and it turns he didn't actually do anything but bug a bunch of managers to give him development "progress" updates to fill out the roadmap Turbulent created.

He is probably getting paid peanuts because CIG low balled him knowing he was a die hard backer and wanted to work for CIG more than anything.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Is happy Jake there now reporting to Jared? And, still happy? Wow.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Popete posted:

This is the guy who took credit for the new roadmap like a month after he started working at CIG and it turns he didn't actually do anything but bug a bunch of managers to give him development "progress" updates to fill out the roadmap Turbulent created.

He is probably getting paid peanuts because CIG low balled him knowing he was a die hard backer and wanted to work for CIG more than anything.

check out the new roadmap for extra laughs!

.random
May 7, 2007

Blue On Blue posted:

Do they only hire the most insufferable people to staff their community management team?

Who types like that? I was waiting for a fedora tip and a m'lady in there are some point

I liked most how he misused “nay” instead of “nary.” This somehow makes the post even more “m’lady”

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/AndreeaCM16/status/1378338546172461061
https://twitter.com/DrakeRosberg/status/1378783079121223684

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Beet Wagon posted:

When you can't hire full sail grads any more, hire/promote from the community, I always say. (technically I think this dude got hired a while ago but lmao at all these promotions flyin around)

What does CIG's Player Experience Team even need to do though? The experience is miserable but these fuckin guys can't get enough. It's gotta be some MKUltra poo poo, right?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jake was the alpha-nerd that mocked his fellow INN partners all the time, right?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Mr Fronts posted:

What is this loving poo poo. Elite doesnt suck balls anymore?

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

MedicineHut posted:

What is this loving poo poo. Elite doesnt suck balls anymore?

The amount Elite sucks is the inverse of your investment, both mental and fiscal, into Store Citizer.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Beet Wagon posted:

Ah, two guys that went on Twitter to 'refute' that snowstorm Kotaku article.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Also the dogfighting (which is poo poo anyways) has been playtested and balanced for 40-50 players (lol not really) so how is all that going to work if you suddenly turn player counts up x100?

It won't. You'll have to throw everything out and rebalance all your ships weapons and health and everything for balance.

Same with.... everything. Lmao.

For me the best part is that to balance that poo poo, they have to go back all the way to the artists. All the properties are baked into model materials and calculated from that. They will tweek all models that have space aluminium material components if they want to make one of them manouver better

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Popete posted:

That dude's so simped he's probably paying them to work there. Even if not that's a whole nother angle for crobbler to exploit from the whale class this shitshow is never gonna end lmao

What I'm saying is CInoG is the 4th Simpire

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Investing a little money to have the makers of the soon-to-be-industry-standard StarEngine on your resume seems perfectly reasonable.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mendrian posted:

One thing that strikes me is that Planetside 2 basically does what SC wants to do but on a planetary rather than galactic scale. It supports a fuckload of people, has flight and foot sections at the same time, ect. Yes its faked and yes the engine is years out of date but that would have made way more sense than loving Cryengine.

It also has a PS4 port, as I recall. I wouldn't be surprised if said PS4 port has similar performance to running SC on a high-end PC, but with 2-3x the player count and better animations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr Fronts posted:

I like stealth gameplay, so that sounds right up my alley if done properly.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

SirTagz posted:

For me the best part is that to balance that poo poo, they have to go back all the way to the artists. All the properties are baked into model materials and calculated from that. They will tweek all models that have space aluminium material components if they want to make one of them manouver better

nah but i'm sure the Carrack will be made out of special Carrackium, a unique alloy of aluminum and steel and argon, which just so happens to only be used in that one ship. Meanwhile the (i can't think of another ship name off hand) is made of shipnameium, which is an essentially very similar but slightly different alloy.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Muscle Tracer posted:

nah but i'm sure the Carrack will be made out of special Carrackium, a unique alloy of aluminum and steel and argon, which just so happens to only be used in that one ship. Meanwhile the (i can't think of another ship name off hand) is made of shipnameium, which is an essentially very similar but slightly different alloy.

Can shipnameium withstand punches above its weight? If not, I will not buy it pledge donate for it

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Bofast posted:

I like stealth gameplay, so that sounds right up my alley if done properly.

It could easily get repetitive, I fear. For example, if the same guy walks the same beat on the same stairs in any large "Storage" building. Then you know to just hop on the roof, wait at the second window, and scan their ID.

Given the procedural nature of the Elite universe, that sort of pattern repetition is quite likely, unfortunately. It would then be more a matter of learning the viable "sneak" approaches for each building type, instead of having to observe the specific settlement and its residents/guards. I guess it depends on how much effort FD can invest in creating variety.

"Thief in Space" is cool and run right now, though! lol

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I get concerned for people when they're so happy and excited to work for a specific company. It depends on the company of course, but it can lead to you happily being exploited for criminally low pay because you see it as a privilege to work there.

This may be more of a new grad thing also. I can understand it. You're out of school and you're excited just by having a 'real' job and making your first steps into the corporate world. You don't yet know your value and are thus ripe for being taken advantage of until you figure it out.
It took me years to really realize the value of my skills and experience and it can be tough to actually hardball negotiate proper compensation if you're not that kind of personality.

I think it's great to be able to work at a place that you love but it's important to not shortchange yourself in the process. And I believe it's fairly well-known that CIG underpays across the board right?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
:lol:

Ich habe ship-to-ship docking!

https://clips.twitch.tv/FuriousAbrasiveGoblinSSSsss-y4DO4ntqHXx88oUR

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH2-OhmsW0s

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

god

just this major selling point of what the game was supposed to be, reduced by time and incompetence to the smallest possible thing, a completely pointless one-time curiosity of a mechanic only for this one ship- and they still gently caress it up in every possible way

marumaru
May 20, 2013

It's cool because it exposes how it actually works under the hood.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Like with most SC videos they are so broken I have no idea what was supposed to happen? Were they actually trying to dock to each other or was he trying to dock to the station?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

reddit posted:

Chris Roberts himself prepared a Docking Prototype last year or so. Was mentioned in an ISC, CAD or similiar :) Right now he works on the physical damage stuff!

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Sarsapariller posted:

god

just this major selling point of what the game was supposed to be, reduced by time and incompetence to the smallest possible thing, a completely pointless one-time curiosity of a mechanic only for this one ship- and they still gently caress it up in every possible way

I do like the docking interface though.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

CR himself, you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

lobsterminator posted:

Like with most SC videos they are so broken I have no idea what was supposed to happen? Were they actually trying to dock to each other or was he trying to dock to the station?

He was trying to dock with the mother ship in front of him. Things did not go to plan.