Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Gaius Marius posted:

That poo poo makes me so mad once I've eclipsed ming and have to see my PP constantly decay. I'm the greatest power in the world. my PP should be Gigantic

This is what hegemony is for as it gives a flat +25 PP along with the rank 1 +25. Yes it's silly but also it's, I believe, a bit of a balancing mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Ugh, my Mughals lost the ability to send missionaries somehow. I've reloaded a couple times.

Are your missionaries tied up trying to convert provinces you TC'd?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Detheros posted:

God mercs suck rear end late-mid game, everything costs 3k+ ducats and shits out like 70 regiments due to scaling, just let me buy smaller sizes of mercs! This isn't hard!

I understand you should only use them early when they're small and are actually useful but you also have no money at all to buy them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rynoto posted:

This is what hegemony is for as it gives a flat +25 PP along with the rank 1 +25. Yes it's silly but also it's, I believe, a bit of a balancing mechanic.

IDK what the hell that is, I stopped playing at Mandate of Heavens patch, they've clearly stopped giving a poo poo about making the game good instead of nickel and diming us

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Firebatgyro posted:

Are your missionaries tied up trying to convert provinces you TC'd?

Might be obvious but some times the conversion screen doesn’t take you to the top of the list- if you try scrolling upwards they might be working on something.

Also as the Ottomans I ran out of rivals in the 1500s until Russia formed 😅

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

puppets freak me out posted:

It might not be much of a challenge, but I've had a lot of fun going Muscovy -> Russia. I've been stymied so far by a rock-solid alliance bloc of Lithuania and Poland (no PU there, oddly), Denmark with a lot of North Germany and their usual PUs, and some beefy Ottomans guaranteeing Lithuania, and a giant Spain as Catholic DotF. It's 1590 and I've finally gotten the Mamluks to join in, so there's a giant eastern European thunderdome that's seen over 500k casualties so far.

I've only got 200 hours, and I feel like this campaign has been a really good learning experience. I can't rely on tech advantage and numerical superiority (on the field, at least, I have 350k manpower which is near my maximum), so I'm finally forced to learn how to make the enemy battle AI work on my favor, and learn how to concentrate my forces and reinforce battles strategically.

I have been trying a Muscovy game and I'm not sure if I want to carry on playing it normally or do a dumb gimmic run where I up sticks to the new world and use siberian frontiers to colonise everything. Its annoying that forming Russia needs admin 10 because I've had all the provinces I need for it since like 1470.

My biggest challenge has been admin capacity tbh.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Detheros posted:

God mercs suck rear end late-mid game, everything costs 3k+ ducats and shits out like 70 regiments due to scaling, just let me buy smaller sizes of mercs! This isn't hard!

They really should place some kind of upper limit to how high they scale. massive stacks of infantry that will automatically get 5% attrition everywhere isn't very useful except maybe in multiplayer where you have unlimited money and just need more bodies to throw into the late-game meat grinders.

ilitarist posted:

I understand you should only use them early when they're small and are actually useful but you also have no money at all to buy them.

Don't worry, your enemies will be able to pay for your mercs for you if you ask nicely enough. :black101:

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
It would be funny if your mercs could rebel against you if they outnumbered your real troops.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Don't worry, your enemies will be able to pay for your mercs for you if you ask nicely enough. :black101:

I am still roleplaying as dumb ruler who doesn't know how to exploit loans.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Ugh, my Mughals lost the ability to send missionaries somehow. I've reloaded a couple times.

I had the same thing happen in my Mughals game. In my case it was a bug caused by saving and loading on the same day as I formed a new tag. You can get around it by losing and regaining the DoF a couple times, making sure to send the new missionaries on a job before losing the temporary missionary, as the game will remove the missionaries that are idle - or stuck in limbo in this case - before it removes ones that are converting a province.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Red Bones posted:

I have been trying a Muscovy game and I'm not sure if I want to carry on playing it normally or do a dumb gimmic run where I up sticks to the new world and use siberian frontiers to colonise everything. Its annoying that forming Russia needs admin 10 because I've had all the provinces I need for it since like 1470.

My biggest challenge has been admin capacity tbh.

Usually when I play Muscovy -> Russia I only focus on taking out the Russian minors + Novgorod while I'm still Muscovite. You're gonna need the admin power for religious ideas and keeping up with admin tech anyway. Not to mention the fact that I usually end up dev-ing up for Renaissance and Colonialism. Then once I hit admin tech 10, I turn into Russia (which gives way more Governing Capacity) and I take admin ideas, and once I have the second idea + Russia's 10% CCR I start conquering like crazy.

Of course you may want to do it differently if you're going for one faith or something like that, but I find becoming Russia as a very stable country can lead to complete dominance.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

i’ve “lost” missionaries when converting in a colonial province just as they form into a nation , but i doubt that’s the cause if your the mughals

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dikkfor posted:

I had the same thing happen in my Mughals game. In my case it was a bug caused by saving and loading on the same day as I formed a new tag. You can get around it by losing and regaining the DoF a couple times, making sure to send the new missionaries on a job before losing the temporary missionary, as the game will remove the missionaries that are idle - or stuck in limbo in this case - before it removes ones that are converting a province.

This seems like what happened, yeah

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

trapped mouse posted:

Usually when I play Muscovy -> Russia I only focus on taking out the Russian minors + Novgorod while I'm still Muscovite. You're gonna need the admin power for religious ideas and keeping up with admin tech anyway. Not to mention the fact that I usually end up dev-ing up for Renaissance and Colonialism. Then once I hit admin tech 10, I turn into Russia (which gives way more Governing Capacity) and I take admin ideas, and once I have the second idea + Russia's 10% CCR I start conquering like crazy.

Of course you may want to do it differently if you're going for one faith or something like that, but I find becoming Russia as a very stable country can lead to complete dominance.

Yah, mostly you want to get admin tech 10 on schedule so don't spend too much admin mana on other stuff in the early game. Before then just conquer stuff you need to form Russia, plus requirements for a few missions and that gold mine from Kazan. And a snake East through Uzbek land so you can start dropping Siberian Frontiers from there.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

The Sun Never Sets on the British Welsh Empire. :v:

Well that was pain incarnate at the end.

This is how you beat someone when your troops are trash. :20bux:

I took Welsh Mexico from Portugal and Former French Colony (Columbia) from France. We also have New Scotland (Cascadia), New London (Louisiana), New California Republic (California), and I think Warm Wales (Caribias). You can figure out the others, thanks Google Translate :v:

Also the revolution just spawned so I'm glad I got done now before Aspirations of Liberty showed up.

Welsh Japan is a surreal thing to look at.

Here's the rest, I personally hate colonizing because of how spread out I have to be but it was kind of a necessary evil due to the start.

But I got this out of it so it was worth it :v:

Edit: 50% :toot:

Just in time for Leviathan :v:

Detheros fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 3, 2021

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Ardebil to Persia is surprisingly easy. Ajam can be destructed if you make any alliances nearby. My problem now that I've formed Persia is that the Ottomans are too large on my border. They have around 3 times my troop count and are Sunni defender. I guess my chances at conquering Greece and Egypt are pretty low at this point.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

^ally someone to the west? keep funding rebels and maybe one day it'll pay off?

Sri.Theo posted:

Might be obvious but some times the conversion screen doesn’t take you to the top of the list- if you try scrolling upwards they might be working on something.

I went through my first few games not understanding why some trade nodes near me weren't on the protect trade mission list. Turns out there was a scroll bar!

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

TropicalCoke posted:

Ardebil to Persia is surprisingly easy. Ajam can be destructed if you make any alliances nearby. My problem now that I've formed Persia is that the Ottomans are too large on my border. They have around 3 times my troop count and are Sunni defender. I guess my chances at conquering Greece and Egypt are pretty low at this point.

If they haven't completely sealed off Egypt, you can keep the the Ottomans as an ally and call them into wars while you conquer the provinces you want, since they can't defend other nations while they're your war ally. Eventually Ottoman troop quality falls off and you'll be able to take them in the late game despite their numbers.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Do the Ottomans still have Mamluks rivaled? If you get them to dishonor a CTA they'll lose DOTF

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TropicalCoke posted:

What year is it? Unless it's like 1800 you can easily conquer eastwards to build your power base. The Persia trade node is a great node to collect in and India is right there for TC'ing.

edit: Yeah it'll be harder with the Ottomans being DotF but if you get creative you can still work wonders.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 5, 2021

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

yeah persia into china via india will make you insanely rich

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Where should I be looking to determine my coring/claim fabrication distance? I want to attack some nations further away from me but have a tough time judging which provinces I can actually take. It’s especially important as I like to release nations and feed them cores.

Is there a map mode or tool tip I should be looking at?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Colonial map mode I think will tell you

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Update on the Barbary coastal raid mechanic: It still sucks

Any idea how many guns are required to prevent a raid in a node? Does it vary based on pirates?

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 5, 2021

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Afaik 1 galley is enough to prevent all raids

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

It used to be enough guns to put it at -99% privateer efficiency.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Sure, it may be 1791, but I finally dismantled the HRE in my Byzantium game.

Although to be fair, I never really tried to dismantle to before this latest war, so I'm sure I could have done it earlier if I had really tried to get all the electors involved into a war. It seemed like every time Austria jumped to defend when I attacked Venice that at least 1 elector would get left out of the brawl. However, this time I caught a coalition forming early that contained several HRE electors and by starting the war through The Palatinate I was able to drag in the rest of the Electors and of course Austria. The war did feature two massively large battles, one of which that lasted a full 2 months as streams of troops made for the battle sites.

This was the results of the first battle, although I don't remember how long the battle took.

I did force convert a handful of OPM nations to Orthodox at the end of the war which was nice.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 6, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You don't have to get all the electors in one war, you can vassalise some in smaller wars first and they'll count when you occupy the remainder

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Wafflecopper posted:

You don't have to get all the electors in one war, you can vassalise some in smaller wars first and they'll count when you occupy the remainder

They don't all have to be involved in the war at all. Electors you are allied to also count if they are sitting it out. It is quite possible to dismantle the drat thing right at the start, for someone like France or Poland.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wafflecopper posted:

Groke posted:

They don't all have to be involved in the war at all. Electors you are allied to also count if they are sitting it out. It is quite possible to dismantle the drat thing right at the start, for someone like France or Poland.

Yeah, I know, but I was over the relationship limit and was always hurting for diplo points, so I didn't want more vassals and nobody in the HRE was ever happy with me since I just constantly fought Venice and Austria and never gave back land.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I can't seem to find the option anymore to lock my version to the current one on Steam. I want to finish a game in the current version and ignore the new expansion/patch at the end of the month until I am ready.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Tahirovic posted:

I can't seem to find the option anymore to lock my version to the current one on Steam. I want to finish a game in the current version and ignore the new expansion/patch at the end of the month until I am ready.

Go into program files/steam/steamapps/common and copy the EU4 folder somewhere else, then use the exe to run it.

This works with almost all Steam games, though it can get a bit tricky with workshop mods. You do still need to have the game installed in your Steam library (actually maybe not the case for Paradox games since I remember them being a bit lax, but generally you do) for copy protection, so copy the folder don't move it.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 6, 2021

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tahirovic posted:

You need to right click on EU4 in the library and select Properties. Once the box pops up, select Betas and then select the version you are currently using. That should keep the game from updating and will allow you to keep playing your game. When you are done playing it, just go back to the same spot and select 'none' for Betas to update it to the current version.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Well, I just finished my first game ever since I usually get bored around the 1700s or end up updating before finishing.

Behold Byzantium and the world as I leave it.

Since France and Imereti are my PUs, I own every province on the Mediterranean. I got kind of bored in the final 20 years as I was running out the clock and spent a bunch of diplo points starting culture converting all of the Italian peninsula. Most of the southern half was done by the end of the game, but the northern half still had quite a bit of time left to go. Venice takes a lot of time to convert. The capital of Spain is now Bermuda and they only only those handful of African counties and few islands around Indonesia.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 7, 2021

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Now do it again, except conquer Gaul like a proper Roman.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

Now do it again, except conquer Gaul like a proper Roman.

I'd probably have to get a bit better at juggling truces or be more willing to break them. Also, I would probably have to be slightly better at spending monarch points and picking ideas in a more productive order.

I'm sure I could have grabbed more land along the way, especially in the Arabian Peninsula and parts of Russia. I think I actually only went to war with Russia once in the war where I destroyed the HRE as they were allied to Austria.

And right now, I doubt I'm going to touch the game until after the new expansion pack is released.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TMMadman posted:

Behold Byzantium and the world as I leave it.
I cant tell, is Albania still there?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Nice Byzantium you got there, I had a lot of fun the one time I played as them even if the start was a bit hairy. I succesfully formed the Roman Empire in the end, if I recall I also went hard for snaking through France to the Normandy coast so I could begin laying claims on English provinces early on.

As an aside I think the Byzantine achievement Basileus is a bit confusing, as it tells you to reform the Roman Empire, except they mean the East Roman Empire which only requires you to mainly own and have cores in Greece, Bulgaria, and Anatolia.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I cant tell, is Albania still there?

No, I finally absorbed it because I wanted to take the 'retake the balkans' decision. The only one of those I didn't get was the 'retake italia' or whatever it totally is since technically France owned a couple of northern italian provinces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TMMadman posted:

No, I finally absorbed it because I wanted to take the 'retake the balkans' decision. The only one of those I didn't get was the 'retake italia' or whatever it totally is since technically France owned a couple of northern italian provinces.
Makes sense! I thought it was awesome that you kept your little buddy around so long because my OCD would make it really hard to do that lol. And, like you I always push the envelope on the relations limit. I really enjoyed reading your posts about your campaign and it has me wanting to try my hand at Byzantium. I may try it after the patch.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 7, 2021