Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

Gamepass sucks and will be a huge negative influence on the industry

Also theres hardly anything worth playing on it

Gamers love to have a lot of *free* games on offer without considering that the time being invested to play them is worth far more than the monetary cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Rockman Reserve posted:

the best non-Morrison comics are the coheed and cambria ones because they're really overwrought and dramatic with mediocre art but there's an entire album/miniseries about the protagonist turning into a drunk hobo stalker loser who spends like twelve issues getting yelled at and made fun of for what a loser he is by the ghost of his dad, his violent revolutionary uncle, and an actual goddamn angel that is 100% sick of his self-pitying poo poo

plus lots of people like explode and get cut in half and poo poo

I think people would be really really surprised at what the Hellboy comics are like.

They're all paranormal detective stories set in gothic European locations. Really the only relevance of him being a demon is that hes kind of drawn to and can survive the various encounters. He does kinda do the 'quip' thing, but it's more like gallows humour than cockyness, its usually more haunting and tragic than it is action packed. The art is all absolutely stunning.

The movies are kind of bewildering in that they so clearly 'want' to honour the source, but so completely fail to do so.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Hellboy is an offensively boring film. I remember being astonished they were making a sequel i mean laughing out loud who the gently caress asked for a Hellboy 2 lmao

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Hellboy is an offensively boring film. I remember being astonished they were making a sequel i mean laughing out loud who the gently caress asked for a Hellboy 2 lmao

Right? The new one is sort of closer to source in that it's got tons of weird obscure folklore, but it still massively missed the mark. It's like, if you're gonna have people at any point question the fact he's a demon, why even bother. That's an X men movie and Lord knows we've already got those.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

I ripped tonnes of individual tracks to make a Burnout soundtrack.

There was that game Dangerous Driving on PS4 which is sort of like a poo poo version of Burnout that integrates Spotify. It's seriously a shame that is it not very good.

Apart from there being no music at all, the worst thing about dangerous driving is that it’s too easy to crash and too easy to take out your opponents.

Playing Burnout 3 right after reminded me how satisfying it was to have to really slam into another car to crash them, and it was possible to brush against regular traffic without it immediately counting as you crashing.

I picked up NFS Hot Pursuit remastered and it feels halfway between Burnout 3 and Driveclub. I like both those styles so it’s pretty good, but it’s not quite as crazy as a real Burnout.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Gamers love to have a lot of *free* games on offer without considering that the time being invested to play them is worth far more than the monetary cost

Dunno man I just play games on it that I would have otherwise purchased

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

signalnoise posted:

Dunno man I just play games on it that I would have otherwise purchased

Works better for some people - i just look at a list that's 90% games i might put 2 hours into and 10% great games which ill take months to complete because i am at best very poor at finishing things so its never a great sell

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Doctor J Off posted:

Aeris is a better name than Aerith, which is just silly

You probably know this, and it's not like it helps, but Aeris was always a mistake, the point was her name was meant to be a play on "Earth". You know, because of the plot. (??!?!?!?).

It helps me hate Aerith less, if only because hearing Aeris as Engrish of Earth seems even more dumb that her name being Earth in an ulster Irish accent

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I liked Hellboy (the original one) :kiddo:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Works better for some people - i just look at a list that's 90% games i might put 2 hours into and 10% great games which ill take months to complete because i am at best very poor at finishing things so its never a great sell

I see at least 50% games I would never bother playing, a small number of games I'll play all the way through in a short amount of time (e.g., Wasteland 3), some more games that I would buy and sink at least 10 hours into but maybe not beat (e.g., Pathologic 2), and a bunch of games I'm interested in but don't want to spend money on because it'd be a gamble whether I actually like it (e.g., Night Call). As a subscription service it definitely matters how much time you will actually put into the games, but I mean, if you're the type of person to buy a game for 10 bucks or more and be done with it in under a week, then it's a decent bargain.

I'm not interested in most of the games on it, but it has a much better selection than other similar services in my opinion. For example, looking through my history on it, I've gotten Hollow Knight, Streets of Rage 4, Battletoads, River City Girls, Yakuza 3-5 remastered (I've got the other news ones on PS), The Messenger, Doom Eternal, Battletech, Celeste, Wreckfest, Octopath Traveler, and Dead Cells. Those are just stuff I actually liked and maybe would have purchased otherwise. Marked and not yet played include Desperados 3, Star Wars Fallen Order, Dragon Quest 11, and Indivisible, among others. For stuff I played but wouldn't have purchased, there's Mutant Year Zero, Phoenix Point, The Outer Worlds, CrossCode, Gears of War Tactics, and other stuff like that where I had some interest but not enough to play it without just installing it and seeing how it is. Some of those, I turned out to like a lot. Many games (like Battle Chasers) are stuff where it looked neat and I got to see what it was about but I would never have spent money on it, and it just turned out to be a good deal to be able to spend enough time in them that Steam would have denied me a refund.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Having a close look at what's on offer through gamepass and sure, there's a bunch of games on there that ive played and paid for but they're all games that are fairly cheap to buy (mass effect andromeda lol). But even more so all those games are insanely mediocre.

I have been keeping a ranking of all the games I played throughout the previous gen and the game ive ranked the highest that's available on gamepass is Prey, and that's not even in the top 20.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Different strokes for different gamer dicks

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I dont want to rag on gamepass cuz its overall good sounding but i did the 3 months for a quid deal last Christmas and all i remember really wanting to use the service for was replaying gears of war 1 :black101:

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

!Klams posted:

You probably know this, and it's not like it helps, but Aeris was always a mistake, the point was her name was meant to be a play on "Earth". You know, because of the plot. (??!?!?!?).

It helps me hate Aerith less, if only because hearing Aeris as Engrish of Earth seems even more dumb that her name being Earth in an ulster Irish accent

There is a feminine name that means "Earth" that would've worked perfectly well in English - Terra! But that was taken. Meanwhile, Terra in FF6's jp name was actually Tina (so it was Celes and Tina to pair the female leads.)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The director's cut of Hellboy is a huge improvement as it minimizes all of the stupid things that the studio insisted on putting in the film like the new guy viewpoint character. I won't say you'd like it if you hated the original version, but it took the film from disappointment to enjoyable for me.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Sure lispy Aris sucks, but "mako" needs to be pronounced like the shark. "blah blah, it's a Japanese pronunciation!" Yeah well fix it in localization and pronounce it correctly like mako sharks, which are powerful and cool, and not like "Mac-o" which sounds like something from the McDonalds dollar menu.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Can i just clarify I'm talking about the 2004 ron perlman movie, i only just realised they brought out a much more recent one

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the new one is worse than you can imagine if you didn't like the previous ones, its unbelievably boring and kind of annoying.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

game pass seems cool for someone to jump in and buy for a few months when there's something cool available but overall i prefer ps+'s model of a drip feed of games you keep basically forever, as long as it's a service i'm paying for anyway i don't want an extra arbitrary time limit on top of that

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
On that note, I will never stop calling Mega Mans creator Dr. Wright no matter what Capcom says.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

There is a feminine name that means "Earth" that would've worked perfectly well in English - Terra! But that was taken. Meanwhile, Terra in FF6's jp name was actually Tina (so it was Celes and Tina to pair the female leads.)

I see the problem, they should have paired Tina with Phyllis so you could get an accurate understanding of people who like final fantasy a whole lot

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

!Klams posted:

Huh, that's fairly interesting. I did not know that at all, I thought it came from the zodiac sign before I realized that it was Aries

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Caesar Saladin posted:

the new one is worse than you can imagine if you didn't like the previous ones, its unbelievably boring and kind of annoying.

The new one is just tons and tons of fan service, so if like me you like the comics, there's actually more to like because it's still a bad movie, but at least you can play spot-the-reference. It's bad though.

If you've watched the show Invincible, theres a "not-Hellboy" in that, who's far far closer to comic Hellboy than the movies, where he's just a demonic gumshoe.

I actually have a hardcopy of the Hellboy pc game that PC Gamer could never get hold of for review. There's no controversial opinions to be had about that though, it's just obviously useless.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lodin posted:

On that note, I will never stop calling Mega Mans creator Dr. Wright no matter what Capcom says.

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Dr._Wright

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

fridge corn posted:

Gamepass sucks and will be a huge negative influence on the industry

Also theres hardly anything worth playing on it

I did the "three months for $1" Gamepass deal they had around New Year. I only ended up even playing three games.

Nier: Automata. Not amazing, but enjoyable. Good for a playthrough for sure. If the combat was more engaging I'd be able to say it was Pretty Good.

Yes, Your Grace. rear end, tbh. lovely pixel art stringing together false-choices more transparent than Tell Tale games.

Greedfall. I got bored and stopped quickly but tbh it's probably not a bad game. I just don't have the inclination to immerse myself in long B-games anymore. If this came out while I was still in High School/College I'd probably have completed it multiple times.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 6, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I heard good things about Greedfall and then I played it for a couple hours and thought "why did I hear good things about this game"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

I heard good things about Greedfall and then I played it for a couple hours and thought "why did I hear good things about this game"

To me it felt like "Bioware RPG, but the production values are a little lower". So if you love Bioware RPGs and have the time and inclination to play even more Bioware RPGs, it probably hits the spot. But hell, I don't even want to play the real Bioware RPGs anymore, much less the discount version (literally).

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Greedfall's lower production values are offset by charming eurojank resulting in overall a slightly better bioware rpg than something made by bioware

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I liked their game Mars War Logs, it was like 10 hours long and felt like playing one planet in Mass Effect or Kotor or something. A fun little sci fi rpg where you hit people with wrenches with janky combat.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Greedfall was aight once you got to the island and they set you free. Nothing amazing but certainly better that Outer Worlds that came out the same year. I find it pretty funny that god drat Spiders managed to make a better RPG than Obsidian.

A bit of poison on my blade, then let's go!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Oh snap! Colony Ship is out in early access today.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/648410/Colony_Ship_A_PostEarth_Role_Playing_Game/

This is by the same folks who made Age of Decadence, which I consider a criminally underexposed Great Game. The only thing is it looks like they're doing that thing like Baldur's Gate 3 is doing, where the content present is more or less complete, but it's only the first act or whatever. I'm not sure I like the idea of playing part of a game and then not being to finish it until who knows when. May buy it anyway just to support them because Age of Decadence loving ruled and if this is anything as good I'll love it when it's ready.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Quote-Unquote posted:

I'm really sad that custom soundtracks aren't a thing anymore. The Xbox and the 360 had a bunch of games you could put your own music into and it ruled. Like in the GTA ports on the OG Xbox you could have a radio station of tunes you liked and it would still throw in the ads, turn off when you got out of the car etc. Burnout 3 and Revenge let you play your songs and they'd slow down during the crash replays. Fight Night and the WWE games let you have this whole custom intro for your guy using music you picked. It owned so much.

PS4/Xbone era onwards? You can play Spotify. But it won't pause or even go quiet during plot bits, so you have to manually pause your music all the time. The only PC games i've played that let you do this are Elder Scrolls things where it's just a directory of MP3s for town, combat, exploration etc. that you can stick different songs in, which is pretty sweet.

blame it on steaming + copyright-hawks. imagine the chaos, the DISORDER, if someone loaded a beatles song into their gta 5 and it came on the radio during a stream! the earth would tremble at the righteous fury of the mountain apple company

Nice Van My Man posted:

Sure lispy Aris sucks, but "mako" needs to be pronounced like the shark. "blah blah, it's a Japanese pronunciation!" Yeah well fix it in localization and pronounce it correctly like mako sharks, which are powerful and cool, and not like "Mac-o" which sounds like something from the McDonalds dollar menu.

if they're saying mac-oh that's also not how it's pronounced......

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

signalnoise posted:

Extremely same.

In good game news, the SE version of Enderal just came out and it kicks rear end. At least a dozen times better than the skyrim campaign, and completely free.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Meme Poker Party posted:

Oh snap! Colony Ship is out in early access today.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/648410/Colony_Ship_A_PostEarth_Role_Playing_Game/

This is by the same folks who made Age of Decadence, which I consider a criminally underexposed Great Game. The only thing is it looks like they're doing that thing like Baldur's Gate 3 is doing, where the content present is more or less complete, but it's only the first act or whatever. I'm not sure I like the idea of playing part of a game and then not being to finish it until who knows when. May buy it anyway just to support them because Age of Decadence loving ruled and if this is anything as good I'll love it when it's ready.

Saw that on a list of indie games that come out this week, definitely was one of the more interesting ones on the list. Wanna check it out.

The New ODDWORLD just came out too, that's pretty loving exciting. Even though I'm not a huge fan of the series it looks interesting.

sebmojo posted:

Extremely same.

In good game news, the SE version of Enderal just came out and it kicks rear end. At least a dozen times better than the skyrim campaign, and completely free.

I played Greedfall for like 10 hours on stimulants but then when I came down never wanted to play again. I still agree with whoever said it was better than Outer Worlds though

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I played Greedfall when I was recovering from having my wisdom teeth out I enjoyed it but it’s very janky

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Seconding that Age Of Decadence is criminally underrated

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

runnypoops posted:

Seconding that Age Of Decadence is criminally underrated

that game is so loving hard

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

this isn't an opinion but a story, a story of the rimworld colony i've been running on a second machine in the background during slow days at work as kind of an ant farm with guns and farming

you see, this colony had been going well for a while....a little too well. despite only having four colonists and two guns we were pretty well stocked on everything else, and we'd been able to use clever team tactics to take down any threat that presented itself so far

it all started with a 'herd' of two maddened donkeys. no big deal, my hunters went and took care of it - one got pretty bruised up along the way and had to be rescued, but it wasn't anything truly life-threatening. As one of the other hunters carries the injured guy back to the hospital, I get two raid notifications - two separate tribes are attacking from the north and south, and they're both attacking immediately. i focus my remaining fight-ready people to the north as that's where the hospital and most of the batteries are, and fight the tribe coming that way. i manage to scare them off but only after they down another of my remaining three colonists, which the tribe from the south (having finally arrived to the main scene of the fray after burning my fields and leaving most of the colony at risk of burning away to nothing) grabs to kidnap. My two remaining colonists manage to make them flee as well, though another one is downed in the process, and the remaining guy is basically clutching a pistol through sheer willpower alone as all of his blood is just falling out of his body like a waterfall. He manages to drag himself to a hospital bed before collapsing, and the guy that got his rear end kicked by the asses finally recovers enough to drag his remaining comrade into another hospital bed, and capture two downed attackers. then, before he gets a chance to eat, he rushes off to fight the rapidly-spreading fire. eventually, another colonist recovers enough to take to their feet and help, and finally even the third can join in, and they beat the fire back until the rain comes and saves us all.

things are starting to look up a bit, but everyone is still in terrible shape and is going to be basically living out of the hospital for several days in between limping around for medicine and meal breaks. so of course, one of the two guys with guns has a mental breakdown and starts going berserk, basically chasing this one sliiiiiiiightly less currently-movement-impaired colonist halfway around the entire map at night like a super hosed up horror movie. eventually the guy being chased loses his psychotic pursuer and takes cover back in the hospital, healing up. the guy on the rampage meanwhile is so hilariously beat up that when his madness leads him to get into a fistfight with a loving rabbit the rabbit kicks his sorry rear end unconscious, making him lose the berserk status. the guy he was chasing sighs, gets out of the hospital and rescues this dumbass, treating his wounds before he could bleed out.

and then he got the loving plague.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to Colony Ship. I was really impressed by AoD's branching narrative, even if the combat system wasn't that polished. They made a good RPG for a small indie team.

sebmojo posted:

Extremely same.

On the one hand, sounds interesting. On the other hand, this will require buying Skyrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.indiegala.com/store/game/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-special-edition/489830?ref=itad 14 bucks if you are interested.