Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If it's a Hitachi, wouldn't it be "take it and come"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Skwirl posted:

It's even weirder

https://youtu.be/XiN0Lwvi7CA

There's nothing in the rest of the movie indicating this was something he could do, zero foreshadowing.
Ha, that's amazing. This definitely beats Silver Age Supes' random Super-Hypnosis or other powers of the week.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Stexils posted:

"come and take it" is an excellent motto for a sex toy company

Take it and come

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Isn’t it a vape pen?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve never really recovered from the ‘the S on Superman’s chest doesn’t stand for Superman’ thing so anything else weird that happens I just shrug off.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this is called 'superman movie peeps having bad ideas'

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog
obviously a mummy that has been removed from a sarcophagus
its a taunt to try graverobbing reaching through the ages from the people who originally cursed the tomb

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/kennnajean/status/1379271968927612928?s=20

I need a Superman and Lois series by this person YESTERDAY

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/BantamSam13/status/1379202703843336199?s=20

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

so the problem is basically 1) is an API copywritable and 2) can it be used for free under fair use?

Thank you for taking the time to write this up!

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

TinTower posted:

It's basically SCO v. literally the rest of Silicon Valley, but for cellphones instead of desktops, is my understanding.

Funny you should mention that. The company that bought the smoking ruins of SCO after IBM were done with them are trying to sue IBM and Red Hat. :tviv:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ultrafilter posted:

But because we have one set of copyright laws that cover every form of intellectual property, this has implications for movies, music, books and everything else. It's going to be a long time before we completely understand what this decision implies.

Haven't those things already gone through cases of people trying to claim copyright of notes, phrases, dance steps etc.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

bob dobbs is dead posted:

this is called 'superman movie peeps having bad ideas'

In comics it was established twenty years ago that the emblem is supposed to be an old native american symbol of healing and unity that just happens to look like an S.

Before that, it was officially a carving on the hilt of a sword that existed since the dawn of time.

Anything you think is stupid in the movies is much, much stupider in the comics. That applies to all superhero movies ever made

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

At some point it was also a Kryptonian symbol of some kind. Superman's origin story is very multiple choice.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Currently continuity has it as the crest of the House of El and also I think a kryptonian symbol of hope.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ultrafilter posted:

At some point it was also a Kryptonian symbol of some kind. Superman's origin story is very multiple choice.
The Joker's backstory gimmick in the Nolan movies is just him saying the quiet part loud

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/inouetable/status/1379170523012194305

https://twitter.com/STDeltaShift/status/1379433595987652620

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
There's only one character in comic books that I wish they didn't go the 'whatever backstory works for this story' route, and that's Clayface.

His original backstory was a movie star getting driven to crime and madness by the fact they were remaking his biggest film without him. That's a perfect jumping-off point for a Clayface story in modern movies, especially if you have fun with the casting and give the role to someone like Val Kilmer.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Superman should use the Cool S

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I bet Superman felt like a very clever graphic designer when he realized that he could use that symbol and it would have a double-meaning. And now you feel the need to cut him down? For shame. It's just as clever as the FedEx logo! You made a good logo, Superman, be proud.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

ultrafilter posted:

In the 1978 film, one of the ways they tried to modernize Superman was to make the "S" a family crest, and that idea has stuck around in various ways. In that movie Marlon Brando is wearing it, and you see the other kryptonians with other symbols.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm not much into comics, but from what I've heard, the Superman writers liked the idea so much they basically took that idea and have run with it ever since.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

"the world is a vampire..."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not much into comics, but from what I've heard, the Superman writers liked the idea so much they basically took that idea and have run with it ever since.
I think the now-standard beat of the various adaptations and retellings is he shows up with the family S on and everyone goes "I guess that stands for super, let's call him superman" and he's all humble farm boy embarrassed by it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

feedmyleg posted:

I really want becoming venomous to be the new thing with teens in 10 years. It'll be like that episode of Batman Begins about Splicers.
I'm not venomous just toxic

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/InAnotherSea/status/1379451671219216390?s=19

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

#HISTINT gently caress off CIA.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
https://twitter.com/LilySimpson1312/status/1379344940019249153/photo/1

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Word. On the one hand super hero movies are all kind of a base level of good which I appreciate, on the other you don’t get bonkers out of left field stuff any more, and the bad ones aren’t interestingly bad.

Maybe the last one like that is Catwoman.

Fake edit WW84 i guess is a recent example but also seems to be deliberately pulling those bad tropes so not sure if it should count

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Prior to Iron Man it was axiomatic that superhero movies sucked. There were a couple of exceptions (Batman '89, Superman I, X-men II) but by and large superhero movies before the MCU were terrible.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Superhero movies are still terrible and anyone who likes them deserve some sort of punishment.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Spiderman and X-men were the first to change that, I think.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Superhero movies are still terrible and anyone who likes them deserve some sort of punishment.

This is perhaps the gooniest take

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

You're in the minority on this one pal

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

zoux posted:

Prior to Iron Man it was axiomatic that superhero movies sucked. There were a couple of exceptions (Batman '89, Superman I, X-men II) but by and large superhero movies before the MCU were terrible.

Christian Bale batmans and Tobey Maguire spidermans 1 and 2 were also generally considered good, and probably more I'm forgetting. The MCU didn't suddenly make people like superhero movies, it came in to ride a wave that was started a decade earlier.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ambitious Spider posted:

Word. On the one hand super hero movies are all kind of a base level of good which I appreciate, on the other you don’t get bonkers out of left field stuff any more, and the bad ones aren’t interestingly bad.

Interesting is always better than bland, regardless of quality. Obviously you want it to be both interesting and good, but I'll take interesting and bad over bland and good any day.

e: Interesting superhero movies do occasionally happen, but they're the rare exception. But yes, punish the Marvel likers with 4,000 more thematically empty formulaic films that they must watch.

feedmyleg has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Apr 6, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

While there were a lot of terrible superhero movies, that absolutely wasn't the major opinion of them at the time of Iron-Man's release. They had largely shorn the bad attitudes of them.

Blade, Spider-Man 1&2, X-Men 1&2, Batman Begins where all critically lauded when they came out and there were a bunch of smaller movies that weren't critical darlings but were mostly thought of as being "okay."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think you're forgetting how many Honah Hexes and Dylan Dogs we got.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Ishamael posted:

In the 1978 film, one of the ways they tried to modernize Superman was to make the "S" a family crest, and that idea has stuck around in various ways. In that movie Marlon Brando is wearing it, and you see the other kryptonians with other symbols.

One of the stories is that it's basically Brando who forced the change because he wanted to wear the S on his chest too and Brando could basically do whatever he wanted at that point in time. So they needed to come up with some sort of reason why Supes' dad would wear the same symbol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

While there were a lot of terrible superhero movies, that absolutely wasn't the major opinion of them at the time of Iron-Man's release. They had largely shorn the bad attitudes of them.

Blade, Spider-Man 1&2, X-Men 1&2, Batman Begins where all critically lauded when they came out and there were a bunch of smaller movies that weren't critical darlings but were mostly thought of as being "okay."

feedmyleg posted:

I think you're forgetting how many Honah Hexes we got.

Yeah. Starting in '98 with Blade and going through '08 you have Daredevil, Hulk, Elektra, both Fantastic Fours, Spiderman III, Xmen III, Blade III, Ghost Rider, Catwoman, Superman Returns and Constantine. DC actually went on to make terrible movies for several more years. (Jonah Hex, Green Lantern, Watchmen)