Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

PhazonLink posted:

how do NFT's deal with stuff that has that super pink color that most monitors cant even display.

what about NFT's for uncomputable numbers or the concept of THE ENTIRE sequence of some irrational number?

NFTs don't deal with any of that. They deal with a JSON text file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

I have a nature photography side business. Have I missed the NFT boat or can I still swindle some poor saps by (if I'm understanding this correctly) selling links to my digital file for huge sums of money.
You have to buy some ETH and create a wallet before you can mint an NFT. It's like being forced to buy a $100 Avon starter kit before you can start selling product and making real money from the comfort of your own home. I have a referral link if you're interested in getting rich quick!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Fame Douglas posted:

They only allow you a certain window to complete the transaction because the Bitcorn price in real currency swings so wildly.

Bitcorn payments aren't instant, they're processed about every 10 minutes. And about once a year, a new block doesn't get found for 40 minutes+. So if you're unlucky, you'll miss the payment window even doing everything right.

After that, they seem to wait some additional hours to make sure the transaction wasn't included in an orphaned chain.

i love how people fail to understand that this means they're still pegging the transaction in dollars and just using a way more complicated transaction method

if they were really paying in bitcoin the price would just be in bitcoin and that would be the price you pay, x bitcoin. full stop

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i love how people fail to understand that this means they're still pegging the transaction in dollars and just using a way more complicated transaction method

if they were really paying in bitcoin the price would just be in bitcoin and that would be the price you pay, x bitcoin. full stop
i dont think anyone thinks tesla is setting a firm price in btc

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

wyoak posted:

Yeah, buying a Tesla in bitcoin is a lot closer to buying drugs off the dark web with bitcoin. You are paying a certain dollar amount's worth of bitcoin, priced at that moment.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

wyoak posted:

right but that's my point. if the primary currency was bitcoin then the price would be in bitcoin. it's not

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

So... what you're saying is all this cryptocurrency is kind of worthless without the dollar.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

PIZZA.BAT posted:

right but that's my point. if the primary currency was bitcoin then the price would be in bitcoin. it's not

And they wouldn't be using it as obvious arbitrage via refund currency fuckery

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah but who is claiming it is, or are we tilting at windmills here

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

wyoak posted:

yeah but who is claiming it is, or are we tilting at windmills here

One of the fallback arguments coinfreaks make for why its volatility is good actually is that it is a currency which is finding its value (which is whatever proves their dad wrong), rather than being an obvious scam with a payment method as a vestigial side effect

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, but this isn't even passing off the bag, though. This is like putting a shredder in front of your vending machine's bill acceptor.

Nobody says they don't keep the bits in the end, it's just your order has a 30 minute confirmation window. Once you've sent it there's no going back, even if it takes 30:01. Bitcoin is surely the currency of the future.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

necrotic posted:

Nobody says they don't keep the bits in the end, it's just your order has a 30 minute confirmation window. Once you've sent it there's no going back, even if it takes 30:01. Bitcoin is surely the currency of the future.

Specifically, the currency of 40 minutes into the future

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, buying a Tesla in bitcoin is a lot closer to buying drugs off the dark web with bitcoin. You are paying a certain dollar amount's worth of bitcoin, priced at that moment.

I'd sure like to live in a world where "Free Musk" replaces "Free Ross"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

xtal posted:

Specifically, the currency of 40 minutes into the future

Yo xtal is there a difference between a photograph of a painting and the original painting or is there no difference between those two things

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Somfin posted:

Yo xtal is there a difference between a photograph of a painting and the original painting or is there no difference between those two things

Ce n'est pas une différence

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

xtal posted:

go back to politics forum

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

go back to politics forum

Hot drat that moron is a d&d poster?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

xtal posted:

Holy poo poo are you serious

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's all bits, man. Information. Data. Easy.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
found a new kind of nft grifter: guy who doesn't even mint your NFTs for real but isn't making money either
https://twitter.com/orbicube/status/1379267195197218816

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ossimatic/status/1379167463263338499

The art pictured here is by a dude who has been absolutely going apeshit on other artists involved in NFT for the past 2 weeks. His rage is glorious to watch.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ohotnig/status/1379261763842101249

https://mobile.twitter.com/ohotnig/status/1378999357979115523

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
At least Clubhouse seems to be dying, so that problem is in the process of being solved.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Fame Douglas posted:

At least Clubhouse seems to be dying, so that problem is in the process of being solved.

I tried Clubhouse and it felt like 90% of its users were the same folks who try to be LinkedIn influencers.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LanceHunter posted:

I tried Clubhouse and it felt like 90% of its users were the same folks who try to be LinkedIn influencers.

Join my Clubhouse seminar to hear about great investment opportunities!

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Is the large scale mining just money laundering ? Dirty money used for the hardware & running costs and 'clean' crypto out the other end ?

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Baconroll posted:

Is the large scale mining just money laundering ? Dirty money used for the hardware & running costs and 'clean' crypto out the other end ?

it can also be a way to burn cheap fuel in hard to access places, like unrefined crude in iran or can have the miners right next to an actual coalmine in the chinese west

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, ALL cryptocurrency and nft's become completely worthless if you detonate an EMP or simply start physically unplugging critical infrastructure.

e:we'd be soooo much closer to curing cancer if these stupid fucks used their vast computing resources for protein folding.

Only somewhat joking: why not a blockchain token set that is generated by folding proteins?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

LanceHunter posted:

Wait, does Tesla really only leave their BTC request window open for 30 minutes? That is insane, given how backlogged transactions can get.

I have bought pot seeds ysing btc within the last year because the cost savings made it worth loving with buying crypto on coinbase

The seed vendor had the same half hour window and both times i did this out was all confirmed within five minutes.

Have transaction times gotten catastrophicly worse in the past year?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Somfin posted:

Holy poo poo are you serious

I took this as a joke admitting you are correct, after all, a painting or nft of a pipe is not apipe?

Sorry for multipost, on a tablet with a baby sleeping in theother arm :words:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I have bought pot seeds ysing btc within the last year because the cost savings made it worth loving with buying crypto on coinbase

The seed vendor had the same half hour window and both times i did this out was all confirmed within five minutes.

I was moving some bitcoin from an exchange to a private wallet earlier last month, and it was a good 40 minutes until I got the first confirmation. Granted, this might have been due in part to a lot of extra volume from folks spending their stimmies on bitcoin, but it was noticeably slower even when compared to previous transactions.

Only somewhat joking: why not a blockchain token set that is generated by folding proteins?

The problem with that you can't necessarily set and adjust the difficulty to keep the mining rate steady. Also, there's a much higher possibility that you end up with a breakthrough that makes the problem trivial.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

This thread and the amber one is a real one-two punch. They were just hating on Kids Help Phone over there and here you're just bullying kids directly!

xtal fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 6, 2021

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Its not like there ever was a hard dollar value on people being human trafficked.

Bitcoin fluctuations shouldn’t hurt the industry so miners should rest easy as they help with transactions.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

xtal posted:

This thread and the amber one is a real one-two punch. They were just hating on Kids Help Phone over there and here you're just bullying kids directly!

I didn't know you were a kid, so sorry. But also you are not allowed to post here in that case, it's in the rules.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

I didn't know you were a kid, so sorry. But also you are not allowed to post here in that case, it's in the rules.

I think you have got restraining orders backwards.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

xtal posted:

I think you have got restraining orders backwards.

Can you explain what you are on about with your report accusing someone of doxxing children and now this accusation? Im not reading all that twitter poo poo.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

From what I gather Coinbase tracks where your coins end up. That's why people talk about transferring between multiple wallets (and presumably losing BTC in the process) as well as "tumbling". Although I doubt store that sells seeds will have a flagged address.

It might actually be interesting to see how many degrees removed a crypto ending up in a known darknet wallet is from getting purchased on an exchange.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

There is so much poo poo that can go wrong during a shop checkout that it's hard to say what the problem was exactly. I've had fuckups with PayPal and my online banking system where I did nothing wrong and still had no idea at the end if I just had paid for my poo poo once, twice or not at all. Paying a $50k car through an irreversible bitcoin transaction is just insane. Maybe his internet/wifi just dropped out for 15 minutes? That would be already enough

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

A single confirmation isn't enough to be sure the coin were actually transferred, though. Could still be part of an orphaned chain. It's also a bit of luck that is involved, depending on how many other transactions are pending and how quickly new blocks are found.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

A single confirmation isn't enough to be sure the coin were actually transferred, though. Could still be part of an orphaned chain. It's also a bit of luck that is involved, depending on how many other transactions are pending and how quickly new blocks are found.

And how high you set the transaction fee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
asstherium