Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
China having so many fishing boats is bad but the US cannot acknowledge the real reasons because that means siding with the Lorax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

pointsofdata posted:

Yeah it's fine, I don't get why she's complaining. They asked her some questions then let her go, that's all.

Probably to get her asylum green card. You are not going to get it without "oppression". I don't think US give out for one child policy anymore.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
just finished reading that loving novel of a story in the new yorker. they're always undone by the end: "then, after all the torture and arbitrary detention, they gave me a passport and let me leave the country". How many jews did hitler let leave germany after interning them?

Another amazing thing is how they keep talking about how she would parrot communist propaganda because thats what the guards or the guy watching her wanted to hear. Doesn't that also apply to the "journalist" writing the story, or Zenz, who coaxed it out of her, who are all agitating for war with china?

It really pisses me off. China is an authoritarian state (I live here). but it treats pretty much all of it's people the same. certain topics you don't talk about publicly. ofc some officials can go overboard, but as a jew, the loving comparison to the holocaust within that article really pisses me off.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Yeah, weird how we only ever hear stories from people who got let go

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

pointsofdata posted:

Yeah, weird how we only ever hear stories from people who got let go

gently caress all the way off bitch. that's the entire monstrosity of the holocaust comparison. the nazis didnt let any of my people go.

I've actually been to xinjiang, both uigher (turpan) and urumqi (60/40 han last time I checked). It is a huge tourist destination. I didn't really notice anything special when I was there. definitely wasn't followed or anything. Back in 2016.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I agree that they aren't murdering millions of ethnic minorities, and that the comparisons with he holocaust are a bit salacious, but that isn't exactly a high bar

THS
Sep 15, 2017

BrainDance posted:

I'm not gonna get worked about about the anarcho-bidenists because youtube guy is dumb. It's less about agreeing or disagreeing with him than the way disagreeing with him is being used.

You can call it me being smug but I actually, honestly think it's a giant problem with the way shits talked about online now. I'm not so cynical that I believe people are really unaware, at least not here, so that leaves me with assuming some kind of bad faith.

are we getting actually worked up or do people just like hyperbolic posting and finding examples of completely infuriating or idiotic poo poo because that’s been the entire conceit of this website for two decades

overall tho id say that while there is a fair bit of circle jerk or whatever, it’s because this is a place to let off steam for people with both left politics and possibly a spectrum of mental disorders. no one thinks we are doing serious political activism or theoretical work by posting (i hope not at least) and while discussions can be interesting or informative, a huge amount of this dumb site has always been “look at this insanely stupid crap i found in the wild let’s all laugh at it together”

anyway sorry for calling you out, we are all friends here and i should call you in. i just think it’s not helpful to go into threads and get annoyed at the general vibe of cspam, it’s really tilting at windmills

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nobody is allowed to leave those places

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Zenz's poo poo has been getting more desperate lately, there's plenty of people who believe him and all but his goal isn't just fame it's his weird white supremacist christo-fascist agenda and nobody seems to want to invade China to 'bring Jesus' to them like he wants. He's already gone from 'this is the story of someone who's sibling went to the camp, no don't ask me how they're able to seemingly constantly communicate' to 'they were literally about to genocide me but they decided to give me a passport instead, you know, the thing genocidal regimes often do'. I can only imagine in a couple months he'll have someone claiming to be an organ harvesting survivor who's somehow able to give interviews despite having their lungs torn out by the savage Han.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I like that the chart implies that myanmar is innately chinese land that has already been split off

THS
Sep 15, 2017

edit: nvm. lol where is that map from gradenko

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

THS posted:

edit: nvm. lol where is that map from gradenko

yah

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Does the US make a big deal out of other "oppression of minority" issue to other country? outside of the Urghurs and the Rohingya?

I mentioned it earlier, both the Urghurs and Rohingya can be explained from the "anti-land based new alternate trade route" angle. Xinjiang is major trunk road of the Eurasia trade route and the Rohingya/Rakhine state is the end point of a potential BRI land route, which will become a much more important route if the US ever block Chinese trade from the Malaika strait. It is interesting when you think about it, US has push this "anti BRI" agenda for multiple administrations and its the only thing ressemble a modern day "Grand Strategy", a secret Grand Strategy.

I never thought about this, does US really sanction other countries on oppression of the ethnic minority? I know nobody from the US has said anything about Modi cracked down on the Kashmir Muslims, and I don't remember anything about the Myanmar military on the Karen minority. Has the US ever sanctioned Russia for the Chechens? Ethiopia on the Tigrayans?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:10bux::911::yarr::yarr::bird::yarr::yarr::911::10bux:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvZt2n9PL80

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i think we should have a word filter that just changes "US" to "nautilus pirates" from alpha centauri

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1379369871037800457

as long as the West keeps calling the fishermen in the South China Sea as "maritime militia", then China is always going to be able to claim that "we don't have any maritime militia in those waters, we don't have anyone that needs to leave, I don't know what you're talking about"

Well sure but suddenly getting, er..220 moored (not fishing) fishing boats in Whitsun Reef does sound a little like a maritime militia of sorts. Especially if they say they all thought of doing that at the same time to protect against the...sunny weather in the area.

The whole shebang in the SCS is a huge posturing game for most participants, sprinkled with some bullying and hilarious announcements to and fro.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Kind of a dumb and sensationalist toic by the standard of this (good and informative) thread, but I'm curious about something. Is there merit to the whole "Winnie the Pooh jokes get under Xi's skin" narrative? Is that kind of content actually heavily moderated in China or is this another "Kim Jong-un died for the 50th time today"-type story? It's always kinda had that smell to me, like meme lords patting themselves on the back for how transgressive they are

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

This is a self inflicted wound of sorts. If the government hadn't scrambled to censor anything and everything related to the matter at hand (and is still continuing to do that religiously), the whole thing would have been completely forgotten..

I don' think Xi even knows about that to be honest. Just standard procedure by the bureaucrats that is seen as "devastating commentary" by the trolls.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So the CPC Streisand Effect'ed it into relevancy?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Deified Data posted:

So the CPC Streisand Effect'ed it into relevancy?

Kinda. It started with this in 2013..

and then continued with this the next year...

The thing grew out of proportion and the rest is history. As I said, I don' think Xi even knows about the thing. Just standard censoring procedure by the bureaucrats that is seen as "devastating commentary hitting the mark at the top" by the trolls.

Dante80 has issued a correction as of 15:27 on Apr 6, 2021

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I have friends who live in China who say they're able to look up images of Winnie the Pooh on the internet, and that there are shops where you can buy Winnie the Pooh merchandise. I don't think it's really a thing outside the conversations of reddit edgelords

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Chomskyan posted:

I have friends who live in China who say they're able to look up images of Winnie the Pooh on the internet, and that there are shops where you can buy Winnie the Pooh merchandise. I don't think it's really a thing outside the conversations of reddit edgelords

it's this, there were some case by case things where local level guys may get a little lovely about it (usually more to either flex and show how tough they are or to have an excuse to smack around someone they already disliked) but yes for 99% of China you can just still have Winnie the Pooh poo poo and nobody gives a poo poo. It's a good bellwether for how much actual contact people have with China, though. If they genuinely believe Winnie the Pooh is 'banned' or censored or whatever they probably have never actually spoken to Chinese people in China.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

But the main censoring (aside from the 2018 film that didn't pass muster) was with Winnie the Pooh association memes, like the ones I showed above, . Or this one, from the 2015 parade, posted in Weibo etc.

Not with the character itself?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dante80 posted:

But the main censoring (aside from the 2018 film that didn't pass muster) was with Winnie the Pooh association memes, like the ones I showed above, . Or this one, from the 2015 parade, posted in Weibo etc.

Not with the character itself?

Maybe? it's almost impossible to find actual, ya know, proof of that, just a lot of 'TRIGGER XI BY POSTING THIS PICTURE' poo poo and actual Chinese people being all 'we kinda don't...give a poo poo about this at all either way'.

This all just feels like when people tried to say the characters in Xi's name were banned online to 'prevent insulting comments', when in reality that would mean tons of words like 'practice' and 'study' and all would get you black bagged too.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I don't think that Xi even knows about the association lol.

Which in a way would mean that the censoring works well! :v:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
There is no evidence of Xi aware of this meme.

But Pooh is a secret signal for the anti-government types to congregate to post anti-Xi/CCP comments, have a ball together online, so comment sections of any Pooh related video will be heavily modded.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Deified Data posted:

Kind of a dumb and sensationalist toic by the standard of this (good and informative) thread, but I'm curious about something. Is there merit to the whole "Winnie the Pooh jokes get under Xi's skin" narrative? Is that kind of content actually heavily moderated in China or is this another "Kim Jong-un died for the 50th time today"-type story? It's always kinda had that smell to me, like meme lords patting themselves on the back for how transgressive they are

https://s.taobao.com/search?q=%E5%B...0210406&ie=utf8

see for yourself

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

Does the US make a big deal out of other "oppression of minority" issue to other country? outside of the Urghurs and the Rohingya?

I mentioned it earlier, both the Urghurs and Rohingya can be explained from the "anti-land based new alternate trade route" angle. Xinjiang is major trunk road of the Eurasia trade route and the Rohingya/Rakhine state is the end point of a potential BRI land route, which will become a much more important route if the US ever block Chinese trade from the Malaika strait. It is interesting when you think about it, US has push this "anti BRI" agenda for multiple administrations and its the only thing ressemble a modern day "Grand Strategy", a secret Grand Strategy.

I never thought about this, does US really sanction other countries on oppression of the ethnic minority? I know nobody from the US has said anything about Modi cracked down on the Kashmir Muslims, and I don't remember anything about the Myanmar military on the Karen minority. Has the US ever sanctioned Russia for the Chechens? Ethiopia on the Tigrayans?

I can almost guarantee that Turkey has and continues to treat its Kurdish citizens far worse than how China treats any of its citizens. Even statistics like ethnic differentiation in personal income are wildly skewed comparing ethnic Kurds to ethnic Turks vs comparing Han and Uyghur income.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 15:58 on Apr 6, 2021

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

The USA doesn't do anything unless there a geopolitical advantage to it. That's the frustrating part, even if what's happening in Xinjiang is a level of abuse above Yemen or Kashmir there's no consistency on this, it's all about jockeying for position on the global stage.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

sexpig by night posted:

Maybe? it's almost impossible to find actual, ya know, proof of that, just a lot of 'TRIGGER XI BY POSTING THIS PICTURE' poo poo and actual Chinese people being all 'we kinda don't...give a poo poo about this at all either way'.

This all just feels like when people tried to say the characters in Xi's name were banned online to 'prevent insulting comments', when in reality that would mean tons of words like 'practice' and 'study' and all would get you black bagged too.
basically no

quote:

Under monarchic, totalitarian, and authoritarian regimes, the authorities, as a rule, see parody, satire, cartoons, and political humor as a “resource” and a tool for influencing their subjects. Such regimes take themselves seriously and are prone to sacralizing their rulers and rituals. These systems of government also tend to regulate laughter. Here, humor can be as “bold” as you like, but it must pass through the highest degree of censorship. The most famous representative of this culture of laughter is the court jester, who exists thanks to permission from the highest level. The jester is allowed to say and do a lot, but he is, in fact, the ruler’s shadow.

A culture of “licensed” laughter is much more ancient than the political culture of ridiculing one’s opponents that exists in Western modernity with its political pamphlets and cartoons. The various traditions of jesters include the “parasites” (companions or hangers-on) of the ancient world, medieval jesters in caps and bells, and the fools (duraki) in the courts of Russian tsars and emperors. Their task was to entertain the ruler and ridicule those who the ruler wanted to snub; to know the court’s intrigues and to sense what line couldn’t be crossed.

While these historical jesters are a thing of the past, figures who perform similar functions and act according to similar rules are reproduced under totalitarian and authoritarian regimes. For example, the Soviet cartoonists, satirists, comedy writers, and directors who were allowed to work in the comedy genre could speak out against misfits and ridicule rule breakers (see for example, the satirical magazine Krokodil), tell meaningful parables (like the films of Mark Zakharov), and highlight “individual shortcomings” in the system (as seen in the comedy short film series Fitil), but they couldn’t impinge upon the system’s underlying principles. In this, Soviet humorists and satirists were somewhat like democratic “comedians.” But unlike them, they didn’t work for the public. Rather, much like their court jester predecessors, they entertained the rulers, ridiculed those the ruler wanted to snub, and knew what lines couldn’t be crossed. They weren’t part of the system — they were its support staff.

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2021/03/30/a-culture-of-laughter

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

just realized you might not be able to open this link outside mainland china.

it's a link to a taobao search for winnie the pooh stuff. there's thousands of shirts, mugs, toys, etc on sale right now, today

e: and re: being able to search for images: https://image.baidu.com/search/index?tn=baiduimage&ps=1&ct=201326592&lm=-1&cl=2&nc=1&ie=utf-8&word=%E5%B0%8F%E7%86%8A%E7%BB%B4%E5%B0%BC

fart simpson has issued a correction as of 16:05 on Apr 6, 2021

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

fart simpson posted:

just realized you might not be able to open this link outside mainland china.

it's a link to a taobao search for winnie the pooh stuff. there's thousands of shirts, mugs, toys, etc on sale right now, today

e: and re: being able to search for images: https://image.baidu.com/search/index?tn=baiduimage&ps=1&ct=201326592&lm=-1&cl=2&nc=1&ie=utf-8&word=%E5%B0%8F%E7%86%8A%E7%BB%B4%E5%B0%BC

i tried adding xi jinping/习近平 and depending on the order i either got 0 or like 10 results, whereas adding 邓小平 got me a bunch, even though as far as I know there is no meme about him, so it seems like any censorship is very tightly linked to the political usage

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

BrainDance posted:

You're right that I'm consistent, I'm not gonna deny that. My issue is with something that happens here (and not just here but, you know, that's where we are) pretty regularly and I've always thought that, yes, it should be dismissed. It's very stupid. A person who takes it seriously is a very stupid person.

What I'm talking about is, people cherry pick a few of the most ridiculous examples of something that disagrees with their ideology, frame it as if it's representative of all disagreement, then do a whole song and dance about disagreeing with the world's easiest target who is barely representative of anything that matters.

It's the same thing you get from the Shapiros and Crowders. The point isn't to actually, you know, do anything it's just to 'own' someone to feel good about what you believe without any of the hard work. And if you act like it's representative of your disagreement then you never ever actually do have to do the work anyway, your ideology is completely safe. That's what I mean by crazy uncle's facebook, you know the uncle who has these weird conflicting ideas of how everyone who disagrees with him, everyone left of Mussolini is some effeminate caricature with green hair, but also super spooky antifa (which he never really defines.) Except here it gets to be a whole echo chamber of it. They're all the caricature to him, so no one who disagrees with him can ever actually be right about anything, so they can dismiss them out of hand. It's the most unbelievably smug thing, so excuse me for sounding smug back.

Or... Huffing your own farts...

I, also, think Vaush is incredibly dumb. Nobody likes Vaush. This is Vaush
https://twitter.com/VaushV/status/1379123931580231686?s=20
I'm not gonna get worked about about the anarcho-bidenists because youtube guy is dumb. It's less about agreeing or disagreeing with him than the way disagreeing with him is being used.

You can call it me being smug but I actually, honestly think it's a giant problem with the way shits talked about online now. I'm not so cynical that I believe people are really unaware, at least not here, so that leaves me with assuming some kind of bad faith.

sir this a ajisen ramen's

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i don't know if i believe the soviet union had a thriving and critically edgy comedy scene but how is this different from john oliver or bill maher though in terms of their role as "court jesters"

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I can confirm that nobody here gives a poo poo about the winnie the pooh memes. kids wear merch, people set their profile pics as him. you can't directly criticize the natl govt, which is why if you search for that stuff it wont show up.

I mean its true what someone said earlier. someone posts a meme, then someone responds by ccalling him hitler. countless cases of this on reddit for example.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bill maher is a comedian?????

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i thought he was just an rear end in a top hat

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
communist party of china 100th anniversary flash mob update: weihai edition

most of these flash mobs are not very interesting but this one is completely out of control. it has everything including pioneers with trumpets and brutalism on the beach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hIMfJs5s8E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Dante80 posted:

This is a self inflicted wound of sorts. If the government hadn't scrambled to censor anything and everything related to the matter at hand (and is still continuing to do that religiously), the whole thing would have been completely forgotten..

I don' think Xi even knows about that to be honest. Just standard procedure by the bureaucrats that is seen as "devastating commentary" by the trolls.

I would not be surprised if some government member had been trying to polish Xi’s image and took people comparing the President to a fat cartoon animal as an insult. Then they overreact, tell people not to do this and people keep doing it to annoy them.