Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think my initial biggest mistake with my first couple layouts for oil refineries was doing like I did with assembly plants and placing them smack dab next to each other instead of spacing them out slightly. that helps immensely in dealing with the terrible pipe tangle.

the feeling of progression in this is exceptional. when I started I had to use the car's gun turret to deal with biter bases and drive around them in circles to destroy them. then I got grenades and could build a few gun turrets, throw some grenades, retreat to the turrets to deal with the spawned biters, repeat until the base died. then I got AP ammo and could mow down a few spawners, retreat to turrets, kill some more spawners and worms, repeat until base was gone. Then I got the rocket launcher, but it fired too slowly, so I still had to have the backup turrets to retreat to. Then I upgraded it and got power armor MK1 so I could keep running pace with biters and juke spitters while firing off a few rockets to destroy spawners. Then it upgraded to fire fast enough that I could kill the initial defensive wave before it got to me besides the largest bases, then go to town on the base itself. Now I have power armor MK2 with 3 laser defense systems, 3 exoskeletons so I run almost as fast as my car drove, a fusion generator so I never run out of energy, and two MK2 shield generators so I can take direct hits from behemoth spitters/worms and largely shrug it off outside of the snare effect and bases die just by me walking through the middle of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Will it get to the point where it's nothing but behemoths?

nah in vanilla it maxes out at 3/8 behemoths, 1/2 big, and the rest medium

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is there a way to disable these notifications? I drag-clicked upgrade across an entire base and now it's got a persistent 600 logistic alerts because it's missing components to upgrade(for stuff I don't want to upgrade like inserters)

it feels like it's actually slowing down my robots doing stuff too, it's taking longer and longer for my personal roboport to do stuff now. is it trying to cycle through all the various alerts before it gets to the ones near me to replace or something?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I don't know about disabling the notifications, but you can customise the upgrade planner so it only upgrades specific things, so start with that. At least then you'll only be getting notified about things that will eventually be completed.

Customise the planner, shift-drag the planning tool across the whole base to remove the old upgrade plan and then do the new one instead.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Wallrod posted:

Doing a big-dick strut through enemy bases with your trousers full of laser is a magical feeling when you do it for the first time.

New thread title, right there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
just call me Mechanical Laserpants

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Captain Invictus posted:

is there a way to disable these notifications? I drag-clicked upgrade across an entire base and now it's got a persistent 600 logistic alerts because it's missing components to upgrade(for stuff I don't want to upgrade like inserters)

it feels like it's actually slowing down my robots doing stuff too, it's taking longer and longer for my personal roboport to do stuff now. is it trying to cycle through all the various alerts before it gets to the ones near me to replace or something?

Yes, once you got over 601 construction orders the game switches to a different scheduling. Before that having too many construction orders tanked your framerate.
There might be a config option to switch back to the old behaviour.
But the correct solution is to just finish or cancel the construction. You can set a deconstruction plan to cancel order mode and drag it from the map.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

the walls slow down the behemoth biters even if it doesn't stop the spitters.

speaking of behemoths, a few hours ago it showed them as a 1% chance of spawning a behemoth from spawners, now it's 9%. is there a way to reduce that? it's been steadily creeping up.

I'm still able to easily deal with them and have been reinforcing my barriers to ensure even if they break through one line they'll hit another, no defensive lines have been destroyed. But they're showing up with more frequency, just had one attack my lines with 3 behemoth biters, 5 behemoth spitters, and a million smaller ones. Will it get to the point where it's nothing but behemoths?

edit: lol I haven't attacked biter bases since I got power armor mk2, I can just walk directly through the base and the 3 personal laser defense systems I have equipped just liquify the entire base including defenses and behemoth worms as I run through. perfect

You can enter /evolution into the console to check the current evolution level. 1.0 is the maximum, it won't get any worse past that.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
So after running a game on .16 for around 300h (bob+angel), it is time for me to upgrade. Sadly i cannot upgrade the current save as it seem some mod is making it crash whenever i upgrade to .17, so i might as well start a new one on 1.1 version.
Is goonisland start still a thing? I see the seed generation has changed.
Also trying to understand which big mode to go. I might go again bob + angel and add py (is it even possible?). I am also looking at SpaceX. Any recommendations for the most convoluted mods?

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you're going to try pyanodon I'd highly recommend going pure py and not add any other big modpack. This is because the other modpacks will give you much easier access to certain components kinda defeating the point of the entire thing.

If you want convulated, py is 100% the modpack to go for. To give a perspective, I have a 0.18 save that has about 400 hours into it and I was still working on setting up purple science. I kinda want to fire it up and start plucking away at it again, but from what I've seen there's been a ton of changes since then and I most likely will have to redo huge parts of my base. This was the last screenshot I took of it:

And this was the mall I made

It's completely insane, but that's the fun of it for me. It's really something you have to slowly work on, 1 intermediate at the time, then curse yourself every time you get some new smelting recipe that means redoing your entire setup to make it more efficient.

Freaksaus fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 5, 2021

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

Well that's a whole new level - i will look into pure py. I will miss the ore sorting of bob - i had come up with an interesting on demand logistics to sort the ores that were missing from a central storage.
I will probably shoot some screenshots before killing the game

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Py is the best if you want to never run out of things to do. Vanilla and other packs eventually just become a matter of scale but py tells you there is yet another production chain to set up and balance and is it worth it to being iron all the way over here when you could just get source it locally via a mushroom farm? Or even just breed alien bunnies and grind them up from blood and get the iron from that?

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

How do I go at setting the local fauna to be a problem only in late game? I remember there was a goonisland seed but i guess that's history now.

fakedit: especially for games which run forever like py

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

RattiRatto posted:

How do I go at setting the local fauna to be a problem only in late game? I remember there was a goonisland seed but i guess that's history now.

Set biter base size and frequency to their lowest.

Expand the starting zone to max size.

Set the expansion time sliders to the max.

Lower the evolution numbers as you'd like. I usually leave base destruction pretty high but will lower both time and pollution factors.

With these settings biters are basically non-existent early on. After many many hours the biters will expand and eventually become a force. These settings will basically disable biters in a vanilla game, unless your playing for tens to hundreds of hours on a map. Which sounds like the norm for py.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

So I am looking at Py and I am realizing how insane it is - it's like way more complex than Angel + Bob which I thought was already the upper limit.

Before I decide to pull the trigger - is there a way to have an early logistics? This was solved by Angel with early drones, but I am unsure if there is the equivalent in Py

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

RattiRatto posted:

Setting time and pollution evolution sliders to 0 and leaving only destroy will ensure that biter strength is only proportional to your expansion. Especially for bobs and py, the time and pollution creep will ramp up biter stress while the mod pack slows down your own progress to a crawl.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you're going to do py, the best thing to do is to just turn off biters completely. It's not worth the hassle, the mod itself is already crazy enough.

As for early logistics, I started my run with construction drones at the time. Py has it's own set of logistic bots that you can get at red science, but even those will probably take you at least 20 hours to get to.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

Freaksaus posted:

If you're going to do py, the best thing to do is to just turn off biters completely. It's not worth the hassle, the mod itself is already crazy enough.

What i am noticing is that Py is literally just cramming the most complicated chains all together, with just extra loops. There is not much extra gameplay (I am thinking of Bob's garden and Bob enemies).

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
I'd recommend pyblock or seablock. Start on a tiny island. Land itself is a precious resource.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Py is the best if you want to never run out of things to do. Vanilla and other packs eventually just become a matter of scale but py tells you there is yet another production chain to set up and balance and is it worth it to being iron all the way over here when you could just get source it locally via a mushroom farm? Or even just breed alien bunnies and grind them up from blood and get the iron from that?

I never played or want to play expansionist mods like bob/angels or py, but this post seems like it's sarcasm, but given the reputation py has, it doesn't seem like it. :stonk:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

DelphiAegis posted:

I never played or want to play expansionist mods like bob/angels or py, but this post seems like it's sarcasm, but given the reputation py has, it doesn't seem like it. :stonk:

Yeah nope I unironically love the convoluted production chains and intermediate steps and other bullshit. I revel in bullshit ways to generate renewable resources and complex chains that take hours to build.

Scaling production is my least favorite part of factorio. I enjoy crafting out my first block of production but get little joy in stamping out another 10 with bots. Py is like a never ending stream of new weird puzzles to solve instead of just jamming down your tenth brick of green circuits.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RattiRatto posted:

What i am noticing is that Py is literally just cramming the most complicated chains all together, with just extra loops. There is not much extra gameplay (I am thinking of Bob's garden and Bob enemies).

I think that's selling it a bit short. Py Alien Life in particular adds a lot of interesting production chains. The way you have to recreate creatures from their dna, to grow them, feed them and either use their products or slaughter them for parts isn't something I've seen in other modpacks. It's not without flaws and it's certainly not for everyone, but I've found it way more interesting and engating than I would've thought before starting it.

I might actually start a completely new run, looking at how much has changed since I last played my save. It feels pretty painful to drop a save that is several hundred hours in, but I've got all sorts of ideas on how to improve the base.

Also, what is Bob's garden? I've messed around a bit with B&A but I've never got super deep into it. Is that the greenhouse stuff?

DelphiAegis posted:

It's 100% accurate, the Alien Life mod is what turned py from something crazy into something insane.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
So when you say "Just Py, no other mod packs," which one of these are you referring to? https://mods.factorio.com/user/pyanodon

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You'll want all of these:

Pyanodons AlienLife
Pyanodons AlienLife Graphics
Pyanodons AlienLife Graphics 2
Pyanodons AlienLife Graphics 3
Pyanodons Coal Processing
Pyanodons Coal Processing Graphics
Pyanodons Fusion Energy
Pyanodons Fusion Energy Graphics
Pyanodons HighTech
Pyanodons HighTech Graphics
Pyanodons Industry
Pyanodons Petroleum Handling
Pyanodons Petroleum Handling Graphics
Pyanodons Raw Ores
Pyanodons Raw Ores Graphics

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

Freaksaus posted:

Also, what is Bob's garden? I've messed around a bit with B&A but I've never got super deep into it. Is that the greenhouse stuff?

Yes - it's angel actually, bioprocessing. The stuff you need to find seeds in the wild and create the farms for it

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Freaksaus posted:

You'll want all of these:

Pyanodons AlienLife
Pyanodons AlienLife Graphics
Pyanodons AlienLife Graphics 2
Pyanodons AlienLife Graphics 3
Pyanodons Coal Processing
Pyanodons Coal Processing Graphics
Pyanodons Fusion Energy
Pyanodons Fusion Energy Graphics
Pyanodons HighTech
Pyanodons HighTech Graphics
Pyanodons Industry
Pyanodons Petroleum Handling
Pyanodons Petroleum Handling Graphics
Pyanodons Raw Ores
Pyanodons Raw Ores Graphics

So everything Py's done, then. :) Cool, thanks!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I start my science production at 30 science/minute, since that's a nice, even number of machines that is easy to achieve for each science pack. Do any of you scale beyond that? And if so, what's your new target?

I'm reaching gold/purple science on my latest save, and bots make scaling up a lot easier. I was thinking maybe 120 science/minute, but that seems a bit extreme.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

My last factory had hit high double digits/low triple before I stopped playing it, but that was more "overbuilt solutions to existing shortages, I can start using more" than any conscious planning for high spm.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Solumin posted:

I start my science production at 30 science/minute, since that's a nice, even number of machines that is easy to achieve for each science pack. Do any of you scale beyond that? And if so, what's your new target?

I'm reaching gold/purple science on my latest save, and bots make scaling up a lot easier. I was thinking maybe 120 science/minute, but that seems a bit extreme.

I normally opt for 1/s or 2/s (60 or 120/min) depending on how relaxed I want to be or how much early game pollution I can get away with, but lots of people on here build 1000/min megabases so there is, uh, a range.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Solumin posted:

I do 45 (30 is only round with level 1 assemblers, 45 is round with level 2) up through blue but by the time in getting further I aim for 90. If I want to then keep playing I'm usually aiming for a blue belt of each, though I've yet to ever finish one of those in vanilla :-(

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

XkyRauh posted:

So everything Py's done, then. :) Cool, thanks!

Don't hesitate to add a ton of QOL mods, stuff like bigger inventory is almost required because of the sheer amount of different buildings and intermediates you're going to be dealing with. You are 100% going to need something like FNEI, but I'm sure you're familiar with those types of mods since you've already done B&A.

Also, if you decide to actually start this, I'd love to see some progress pics, py is such a fascinating modpack for me and every py base that I've seen looks completely different from the rest.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I think I'll aim for 90/minute, that's even numbers with level 2 assemblers and still a significant upgrade over 30/min. Thanks!

necrotic posted:

I do 45 (30 is only round with level 1 assemblers, 45 is round with level 2) up through blue but by the time in getting further I aim for 90. If I want to then keep playing I'm usually aiming for a blue belt of each, though I've yet to ever finish one of those in vanilla :-(

Because blue science takes 24 seconds to produce 2 bottles, it's round with level 1 and level 2 assemblers! :science:

A full blue belt of each sounds insane -- that's 2700 per minute!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Solumin posted:

I think I'll aim for 90/minute, that's even numbers with level 2 assemblers and still a significant upgrade over 30/min. Thanks!

Because blue science takes 24 seconds to produce 2 bottles, it's round with level 1 and level 2 assemblers! :science:

A full blue belt of each sounds insane -- that's 2700 per minute!

Yeah, hitting 2.7k SPM in actual vanilla is a tough feat that I still want to do some day. I always burn myself out on a save before I get there. One day! The highest I've finished and sustained was 500 way back in... 0.16? And it wasn't pure vanilla, which is what I really want to do.

And sure, blue is round there but not the rest :P

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Good luck, you're going to need a _lot_ of beacons and modules, and I hope to see that factory some day!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Solumin posted:

Good luck, you're going to need a _lot_ of beacons and modules, and I hope to see that factory some day!

Yup! One of the first steps scaling to that level is just getting module production going at a reasonable rate, which eclipses a 90SPM base in every way.

First Tube
Apr 25, 2010

From this day on I'd have to fight these forces of darkness and deal with the burden of day to day admin.
So after about 440 hours working on one map I finally launched a rocket with my LTN city-block base. 83 1-2 trains, 300 stations, and over 87,000 construction robots. Each roundabout center is 6 heavy poles; which also fits 9 of the logistical area of robots in a 3x3 grid perfectly.

It is amazing how it feels once you have a base that can build itself. With an army of construction robots and radar dishes everywhere it basically becomes an RTS. Only thing I would have to do by hand was modifying constant combinators for the train stations' logistics.

I really enjoy what LTN brings to the table as far as automating the train system. I probably would have never have tried for a city-block design with how trains normally work. I think it is one of the best mods for Factorio.

Now its on to see how much I much SPM I can get this up to.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Solumin posted:

I normally start with the basic ratios from the factorio cheat sheet - (5/6/5/12/7/7) for assemblers, but leave room to double it in my initial build which can get me to 150/minute without modules. Moduled up I think they normally scale up to about 240/minute before I run into input supply issues in the original buss-base.

Pushing beyond that is where I normally start building 1000spm sub-bases for each particular science pack and those sub-bases are supplied by train and the science packs are moved to the science lab sub-base via train.

Once that is done it's just a matter of scaling up by building more sub-bases until I get bored of that game and take a break for a few months before starting over with different mods or map settings.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Solumin posted:

Got a few thousand hours in this game, and I'm at the point where you test the limits of the game itself, like with simcity or city skylines...working on my vanilla 21K base.

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/l34t57/all_you_need_for_21000_space_science_per_minute/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

This is just space science. If you check my other posts you'll see some other parts, rocket fuel, smelter. Working on a post for purple science since that is complete. Currently trying to figure out how to make yellow and blue together or near each other. Red and green are done but small and boring compared to the rest. Then just connect them all together...easy peezy.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I feel like "megafactory" no longer captures the true scale of what you're building. I love it, it's terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

lol thanks, it is pretty stupid. I have to build in spurts, one part at a time...then I get burned out. It just takes hours to move stuff, even with creative mode. Half the time I want to build something, I load up the map and stare at it for an hour or so contemplating then close it.