Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

I'm having a good time with NGU Industries, there are always several carrots in front of you and it's not always obvious which one to go for first (and sometimes it's the right thing to go for more than one at a time).

I get the feeling that once you get past the early game you won't need to re-spec nearly as often. Seems like it could be a side-effect of the insane progress you make in the first day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

pixaal posted:

When is the expansion to NGU: NGD where you have to save the universe from yourself by going back to zero in stats coming out?

ah, universal paperclips

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Is there not a keyboard shortcut or the like for swapping buildings in a layout (to organize things/reduce visual clutter when possible) or did I just miss it?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

TengenNewsEditor posted:

I'm having a good time with NGU Industries, there are always several carrots in front of you and it's not always obvious which one to go for first (and sometimes it's the right thing to go for more than one at a time).

I get the feeling that once you get past the early game you won't need to re-spec nearly as often. Seems like it could be a side-effect of the insane progress you make in the first day.

In addition to this I feel like unlocking blueprint slots goes a long was as well. I only have 2 but I can see how it'll save a lot of time to be able to have your tier 1 juice blueprint, tier 2 juice, army blueprint, etc.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Arzaac posted:

In addition to this I feel like unlocking blueprint slots goes a long was as well. I only have 2 but I can see how it'll save a lot of time to be able to have your tier 1 juice blueprint, tier 2 juice, army blueprint, etc.

Yeah, in the beginning of the game if you save a blueprint it's obsolete 15 minutes later - but about a day into it the newbie gains are petering out and they're starting to become a little more useful.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Arzaac posted:

Not really, because of how fiddly everything is and how upgrades break equilibrium. You can design a perfect resource generation setup, change one upgrade, then have to redo the whole thing anyway. I'm not even using blueprints because they're out of date almost as soon as they're saved.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I started Industries about a day ago and I'm having an okay time with it. I'd say a good rule of thumb is to think about production as top-down (like what bubbapook posted last page, start your layout with the intended final products and then add more of whatever's in the red) and upgrades as bottom-up (yeah those +100% production upgrades are attractive but if you don't have enough iron/copper production upgrades it's gonna be a slog).

And try to save building army units until you're able to build them alongside every tier of think juice, which is going to require pretty much every non-red upgrade available to you. That's gotten me through the tutorial island without much fuss. A good amount of waiting though, but it's a friggin idle game.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Not really, because of how fiddly everything is and how upgrades break equilibrium. You can design a perfect resource generation setup, change one upgrade, then have to redo the whole thing anyway. I'm not even using blueprints because they're out of date almost as soon as they're saved.

tinstaach posted:

I started Industries about a day ago and I'm having an okay time with it. I'd say a good rule of thumb is to think about production as top-down (like what bubbapook posted last page, start your layout with the intended final products and then add more of whatever's in the red) and upgrades as bottom-up (yeah those +100% production upgrades are attractive but if you don't have enough iron/copper production upgrades it's gonna be a slog).

This, basically. You don't have to remake your pipeline every time you get an upgrade, if an upgrade puts a resource in the red you can focus on that resource for your next upgrade. Or alternatively, upgrade from the bottom up so that never happens.

And besides, unless you're focusing on storing a lot of one resource, going in the red doesn't break anything. You might not be operating as efficiently as possible, but you'll be generating your final resource at about the same speed, if not faster.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Wife and I are interested in Idleon, curious what the goon guild is?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Atoramos posted:

'pizza is free'

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
NGU industries makes me wonder if i have OCD. Having to scatter my building around is driving me crazy and is actively turning me off the game. It’s a shame, because i love the concept. The min/maxer perfect base builder in me just won’t let me enjoy jt.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

wemgo posted:

NGU industries makes me wonder if i have OCD. Having to scatter my building around is driving me crazy and is actively turning me off the game. It’s a shame, because i love the concept. The min/maxer perfect base builder in me just won’t let me enjoy jt.

Yeah this is kinda what I was getting at earlier when I asked if there was some kind of an autosort function. Problem is not only OCD related things but also it does actually get tough to find open spaces or the one building when everything's all scattered around the map. This makes me want to keep things organized but with the amount of tearing down and rebuilding I just don't want to put the effort in to do it every time I rebuild.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Arzaac posted:

This, basically. You don't have to remake your pipeline every time you get an upgrade, if an upgrade puts a resource in the red you can focus on that resource for your next upgrade. Or alternatively, upgrade from the bottom up so that never happens.

And besides, unless you're focusing on storing a lot of one resource, going in the red doesn't break anything. You might not be operating as efficiently as possible, but you'll be generating your final resource at about the same speed, if not faster.

The other major thing that I've discovered so far is that the right way to idle it is to get your system producing the think juices you want, then idle on that until you can buy a shitton of upgrades, then buy those upgrades and rebuild. Once all your numbers are white or blue, shove some lower-end producers into the remaining slots to clear out some land. If you get a tier upgrade, don't immediately ram through to the next set of think juices; get all the upgrades the old juices buy first, since they'll boost your low-level producers heavily.

If you're picking up individual upgrades you'll be rejigging your base a lot.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
the only QoL thing that comes to mind, and this is probably because of ethereal farm, it would be nice if based on your current amount/production of something if you could see a timer for how long until you have enough of things for a particular research or land unlock. for example, i need 1m copper bars to unlock a slot on toot island, and if on the tooltip there was a (3h 23m 4s) or something next to it to let me know how soon my current production will take to get me there

otherwise, so far so good on having a completely indecipherable layout

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Atoramos posted:

We have a discord, as well:

https://discord.gg/n8AFKAjtFe

Come play, theres a big big content upgrade coming in the next few weeks

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Feline Mind Meld posted:

the only QoL thing that comes to mind, and this is probably because of ethereal farm, it would be nice if based on your current amount/production of something if you could see a timer for how long until you have enough of things for a particular research or land unlock. for example, i need 1m copper bars to unlock a slot on toot island, and if on the tooltip there was a (3h 23m 4s) or something next to it to let me know how soon my current production will take to get me there

otherwise, so far so good on having a completely indecipherable layout

Yeah this was something that I would have really liked to see too, even just as an indicator for whether or not I'd be capable of buying the thing eventually given my current setup

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
NGU Industries:

Why are some buildings not affected by speed beacons?

Are all buildings affected by production beacons?

Do efficiency beacons only matter when they change the whole-number value of an ingredient? E.g. if the base ingredient is 2, it doesn't help until you get up to -50% to make it 1 instead?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Devor posted:

NGU Industries:

Why are some buildings not affected by speed beacons?

Are all buildings affected by production beacons?

Do efficiency beacons only matter when they change the whole-number value of an ingredient? E.g. if the base ingredient is 2, it doesn't help until you get up to -50% to make it 1 instead?
1. There's a speedcap on each building. When you hit it, the speed turns blue. There's a tooltip for this somewhere.

2. Yes, but it rounds down so for buildings with very small production values, you may not get any bonus. This rounding becomes irrelevant very quickly, tho.

3. v0v

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Does anyone have any tips for an efficient pink juice setup in NGUI? I left the game up overnight to fill up on the first three colors and have literally every upgrade that does not require pink juice, and I still need pretty much my entire setup to produce a single tile of pink stuff. The big bottleneck seems to be how much Decent Wiring you need for how little it produces by default, so maybe I should focus my pink juice upgrades on stuff that improves wiring?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Does anyone have any tips for an efficient pink juice setup in NGUI? I left the game up overnight to fill up on the first three colors and have literally every upgrade that does not require pink juice, and I still need pretty much my entire setup to produce a single tile of pink stuff. The big bottleneck seems to be how much Decent Wiring you need for how little it produces by default, so maybe I should focus my pink juice upgrades on stuff that improves wiring?

Taking your entire map to fuel 1-2 top tier juice tiles sounds entirely normal to me and has been pretty much my experience for how2upgrade.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Toshimo posted:

Taking your entire map to fuel 1-2 top tier juice tiles sounds entirely normal to me and has been pretty much my experience for how2upgrade.

Agree. My approach is:

Can my map make 1 tile of the highest juice? If yes, do that a while. Fill extra tiles with lower juice.

If it can't make 1 tile of pink, then try to make as much of the toughest ingredient (e.g. rockets) while I idle a while, then run my map as much as I can, letting rockets run a little red.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
How aggressively are you using beacons? You probably just need to use more if them.

They're very effective when you're boosting the newest tech layer that doesn't have many purchased upgrades yet.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jabor posted:

How aggressively are you using beacons? You probably just need to use more if them.

They're very effective when you're boosting the newest tech layer that doesn't have many purchased upgrades yet.
Aggressively. Not optimally, but aggressively.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Toshimo posted:

Aggressively. Not optimally, but aggressively.

I feel attacked.

Also the gameplay loop doesn't feel good :(

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Devor posted:

NGU Industries:

Correct- for the pink juice as an example, with 1x production you need 5 efficiency beacons to get the bonus high (low?) enough to shave off a chip and a rocket fuel. Way more useful as you get productivity modifiers so you're not murdered by rounding up.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Devor posted:

Also the gameplay loop doesn't feel good :(

I had a telephone conversation with a friend about this today and we both came to that same conclusion. It doesn't matter if it's optimal or even okay to have a bunch of numbers go red, it just feels really bad, especially if you have to go do something else and leave it like that and Hope that you don't bottom out on production. Just normal play feels really bad, especially when it's difficult to tell if you're actually doing things right at all. It doesn't have the binary success/failure of killing a Titan or advancing a zone, you know you're just kind of doing things but you don't know if they're the right things and it feels bad a lot. Add to this that there's still a lot of UI gotchas, especially when it's difficult to tell what's flavor text and what's actually game text. ISOPOD feels futile. It's not progression with a goal, it's RNG where it's not needed. Add to that that the things basically a black box where I have to come back and cycle through levels until I find the right one, and it's just :effort:.

NGU Idle was a path where you started learning how to optimize, but the direction was clear, and you could focus the thing you were short on.

NGU Industries is a sandbox where optimization is obfuscated away by UI shortcomings and increasingly complicated math sims, with an RNG stapled on.

The prototypical NGU Industries experience to me is:

1. Come back from lunch with an hour of idle progress.
  2. Sift through a bunch of similar, if not identical, upgrades to buy with my juices, with no real feedback on if they are the ones that will let my number go up best. -2 minutes
  3. Find out my upgrades turned half my production red.
  4. Try and piecemeal fix the chain only to find out that it can't be fixed. -5 Minutes
  5. Tear out all the production buildings, build an entire new line from the top down. Find out it won't work 8 tiers deep because I don't have the copper/iron/glue/whatever. -10 minutes
  6. Tear it out and build a more conservative chain. Get it right with a couple extra squares I can leave on producing army mans, because I'll need them eventually. -10 minutes.
  7. I just ate half an hour of active play smashing my face on 3 different frustrating things to get my game back to equilibrium so I can go off and do something else for a couple of hours.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Toshimo posted:

2. Sift through a bunch of similar, if not identical, upgrades to buy with my juices, with no real feedback on if they are the ones that will let my number go up best. -2 minutes
  4. Try and piecemeal fix the chain only to find out that it can't be fixed. -5 Minutes
  5. Tear out all the production buildings, build an entire new line from the top down. Find out it won't work 8 tiers deep because I don't have the copper/iron/glue/whatever. -10 minutes
  6. Tear it out and build a more conservative chain. Get it right with a couple extra squares I can leave on producing army mans, because I'll need them eventually. -10 minutes.
  7. I just ate half an hour of active play smashing my face on 3 different frustrating things to get my game back to equilibrium so I can go off and do something else for a couple of hours.

I gave up on attempting piecemeal fixes really fast. I feel like I would like it more if I had one island for each tier, and that island could never go red by purchasing upgrades.

Buying upgrades and ruining my current layout means that I dread buying upgrades. It makes the game feel like work instead of a fun achievement.

inspire
Nov 24, 2004
Eyyy!
NGU Industries - I can't seem to download from Steam at all. I click on the "play now" button in the store and it does nothing. Any ideas?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

inspire posted:

NGU Industries - I can't seem to download from Steam at all. I click on the "play now" button in the store and it does nothing. Any ideas?

Not being a smartass: Try downloading a different free game and see if it's specific to this one or if it's a general problem with your Steam.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

inspire posted:

Try to give Steam a kick with your browser? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1433990/NGU_INDUSTRIES/

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Toshimo posted:

I had a telephone conversation with a friend about this today and we both came to that same conclusion. It doesn't matter if it's optimal or even okay to have a bunch of numbers go red, it just feels really bad, especially if you have to go do something else and leave it like that and Hope that you don't bottom out on production. Just normal play feels really bad, especially when it's difficult to tell if you're actually doing things right at all. It doesn't have the binary success/failure of killing a Titan or advancing a zone, you know you're just kind of doing things but you don't know if they're the right things and it feels bad a lot. Add to this that there's still a lot of UI gotchas, especially when it's difficult to tell what's flavor text and what's actually game text. ISOPOD feels futile. It's not progression with a goal, it's RNG where it's not needed. Add to that that the things basically a black box where I have to come back and cycle through levels until I find the right one, and it's just :effort:.

NGU Idle was a path where you started learning how to optimize, but the direction was clear, and you could focus the thing you were short on.

NGU Industries is a sandbox where optimization is obfuscated away by UI shortcomings and increasingly complicated math sims, with an RNG stapled on.

The prototypical NGU Industries experience to me is:

This is a good post that voices my frustrations pretty well. It sucks to optimize something to only end up breaking your optimization and forcing you to restart. The UI gets in the way as well by forcing you to use tooltips for pretty much everything.

The diminishing returns on research seems super harsh and i hate having to hover over individual things to compare them.

inspire
Nov 24, 2004
Eyyy!

Toshimo posted:

Not being a smartass: Try downloading a different free game and see if it's specific to this one or if it's a general problem with your Steam.
Thank you. Had to update. How embarassing.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I think the point about researches being punishing is a good one. While the production / speed upgrades are great, there are way fewer efficiency upgrades (which lets you reduce the amount of input to make an output) and afaik no output multipliers. It feels like a third branch of research that change it so that you can squeeze more out of a resource chain without having to completely rework the inputs would feel better -- for example, if there was just a plain "you make 50% more frames from the input materials", "you have a 10% chance to make an additional microchip per cycle", etc.

Those would be examples of upgrades that wouldn't require retooling a production chain beyond being able to trim away some of the extra producers you have to overcome a bottleneck.

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Toshimo posted:

As the aforementioned friend, I can also mentioned that I compared NGU Idle and Industries to Minecraft modpacks. NGU Idle is similar to a normal grindy modpack where incremental increases in production have a noticeable effect for a few minutes of effort. NGU Industries has the feeling of a Kappa/Titan/Greg Tech pack that requires three hours of minutiae crafting to extract a 0.1% increase in production rate.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

honestly beacons introduce a level of difficulty that is too hard for my brain with how often i have to retool things

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

So I'm checking the filter options for research and for some reason there's no filter for tiers of think juice. Gonna be a bit tedious looking through the recipes for things I didn't get earlier this way...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

So I'm checking the filter options for research and for some reason there's no filter for tiers of think juice. Gonna be a bit tedious looking through the recipes for things I didn't get earlier this way...

Don't they just get filtered to the tier they are produced at?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Toshimo posted:

Don't they just get filtered to the tier they are produced at?

No, the tech tier bonus filters filter out any research that affects the tier turned off only. Tier 1 researches that require Tier 3 juice still show up with Tier 3 turned off, while Tier 3 researches that require only Tier 1 and 2 juice do not. May not be a huge issue now while I'm still less than the first day in, but still...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can filter to only stuff you can afford, which helps some after you've transitioned to a new tier but still have a bunch of earlier tech juice saved up.

But yeah I think the research screen needs some UX love. Right now it's like "the bare minimum required for you to technically be able to research things", and it's in dire need of some QoL improvements like "being able to see what techs do without hovering over them".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also showing explicitly what techs actually do would be huge for people figuring the game out themselves. Like, when you're looking at an upgrade that gives "100% production", show on the tooltip what the current production multiplier of the affected things is, and what it's going to become.