Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah the biggest thing keeping me away from warhammer quest is worrying about missing a cool expansion

Then just put in a standing order at your local game store or online retailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

moths posted:

This is absolutely the case.

I missed the boat on the middle BSF expansion and I'll gladly play on photocopies before giving some rear end in a top hat $300+ for a copy. (Without miniatures.)

Yeah, it looks like I'm going to have to start hitting up shady sites for pdf scans or pay out the nose for copies on ebay (and even then there's no guarantee that it's a legit copy minus the minis). The local stores that may have the expansions are either sold out or not responding to my question when I try to contact them online. I want to buy the expansions, GW, but you just won't let me (and apparently Ascension requires content from Escalation despite Escalation being out of print?)

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Another nasty boy ready to hit the Beastgrave:

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
That's an excellent nasty, rowdy boy. I really like your color scheme!

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I think I finally found a good approach to Kill Team. Something I've been theorizing for a while but only recently put into action.

The way I see it, the biggest problems with Kill Team are that fluffy teams are rarely competitive, competitive teams are expensive and look dumb, and that taking it seriously at all is a recipe for disaster since many games are decided by a couple of lucky rolls.

So, I've taken Kill Team as a competitive wargame and turned it into Kill Team the casual board game. I put together Tau, Primaris Marine, and Ork kill teams composed of limited, fluff-approved rosters that come out to be totally uncompetitive but more or less balanced with one another. With the balance under my control, I can then use Kill Team as an asymmetrical casual wargame-lite that I can play with warham players and non-players alike while retaining the flavor of the respective armies. Furthermore I can expand on the rosters with new teams or new members in a controlled environment. At the moment I have all of the models in one case, and all of the terrain in another, making it a complete and surprisingly convenient set.

I'm sure there's some tweaks to be made, especially with the unit rosters, as you really have to iterate on a bunch of different matchups to get a good feel for balance, but Kill Team is now finally what I always wanted it to be.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah the biggest thing keeping me away from warhammer quest is worrying about missing a cool expansion

Silver Tower is an incredible game with no expansions. You'd be totally fine.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Riatsala posted:

Kill Team.

I think Kill Team is a fantastic casual game and a very boring competitive game for exactly those reasons. I'm loving it for just doodling around with a few models though

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Riatsala posted:

The way I see it, the biggest problems with Kill Team are that fluffy teams are rarely competitive, competitive teams are expensive and look dumb, and that taking it seriously at all is a recipe for disaster since many games are decided by a couple of lucky rolls.

I always thought it would be funny to create a GW randomizer where you put all the units you have and a points limit then it spits out a random force composition. Sure you'd get really unequal games but those are sometime the best to lose/win.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Got my order in, and they threw in a cute little 'key to the city'

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That doesn't go live until noon-ish in North America, right? I can never remember when pre-orders go live with the time zones and continents.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Randalor posted:

That doesn't go live until noon-ish in North America, right? I can never remember when pre-orders go live with the time zones and continents.

10am pacific

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Cursed city sold out in 1 hour in Australia

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Wow, just logged in to preorder Cursed City through GW and the website was clearly flooded. I placed my order right when it came up and it kept hanging on the "confirm your order" stage... Luckily, I managed to snag a copy through Firestorm Games here in the UK the moment it popped up, and at a discount. Looks like they still have a few available.

It's gonna be hard to get a copy for a while though, I think.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 3, 2021

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I managed to get a copy through Element Games, but their site was massively struggling too and now appears to be sold out. As of 10.15 BST there does seem to be stock on the GW website in the UK though. Agree that it's likely to be tough to get for a little while though.

And now to finish the Screaming Bell in time for the new pile of minis to arrive...

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Cursed city was already sold out in Sweden when I checked. GW keeps sucking and scalpers profit, what else is new.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I hopped on and ordered no issue in US.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
All gone. :(

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

lilljonas posted:

Cursed city was already sold out in Sweden when I checked. GW keeps sucking and scalpers profit, what else is new.

Seems like they still have it in one of the Danish shops if you’re desperate: https://www.faraos.dk/games/figurspil/warhammerfantasyageofsigmar/boxedgames/boxedgames/cursed-city-warhammer-quest?o=search

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Well it’s available in the US but $350 was to rich for my blood.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Ropes4u posted:

Well it’s available in the US but $350 was to rich for my blood.

$350? Where are you getting that number? It was $200 with free shipping.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It was just over $300 for me after tax, but that was the bundle with the novel and I live in Canada land.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Crackbone posted:

$350? Where are you getting that number? It was $200 with free shipping.

I’m an idiot and forgot to change to American dollary doos, the collection was $226.

Sold out

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Does anyone know what scale Adeptus Titanicus is roughly in for scale train scenery? I figure that would be the easiest way to give a good sense of scale of the titans for basing and might be a decent-priced way to pick up scenery.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Adeptus Titanicus is in 6 mm/1:285 scale.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Strobe posted:

Adeptus Titanicus is in 6 mm/1:285 scale.

Z scale is the closest train scale afaik, it’s 1:220 so will be a bit big.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Eh, still gives me something I can work with. I also have a 3d printer I've been meaning to troubleshoot/find projects to make for it, so I can try making some storage containers or trains or the like to put onto the bases.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's a little closer to heroic 8mm It's roughly quarter-scale from 40k, which has crept up to 32mm lately.

That's what my friends and I have been doing for the latest outbreak of epic interest, anyway. 1:220 / Z is as close as you can get commercially.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If you don't care about Warhammer's particular gothic theme for architecture, hardware studios has a bunch of 6mm scale buildings, both to be shipped and as STLs if you want to print your own.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Prices are out for the new AT stuff. As expected the Warmaster weighs in around the same as a 40k Knight at £95 / $160 USD

The nice surprise is that the Maniple box has a fairly heavy discount at £115 / $185 USD. That's 40% off RRP, and with retailer discounts gives you basically a full-sized playable army for under £100. Imagine if there was a start collecting 40k set with 1600+ pts worth of stuff for that price.

Pretty good if you're just starting out, or feel like starting a new legio as a project.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

xtothez posted:

Prices are out for the new AT stuff. As expected the Warmaster weighs in around the same as a 40k Knight at £95 / $160 USD

How many heads does the warmaster have cos this neither this one nor the grinning one are doing it for me.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Z the IVth posted:

How many heads does the warmaster have cos this neither this one nor the grinning one are doing it for me.

Looks like at least three. They've already covered the rules for this thing in some detail, so I expect the article later in the week will be about the model itself.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

xtothez posted:

The nice surprise is that the Maniple box has a fairly heavy discount at £115 / $185 USD. That's 40% off RRP, and with retailer discounts gives you basically a full-sized playable army for under £100. Imagine if there was a start collecting 40k set with 1600+ pts worth of stuff for that price.

Pretty good if you're just starting out, or feel like starting a new legio as a project.

Between me finding a buddy with a 3D printer to get going in Epic(Just can't decide if I want to use Net EA rules or 3rd edition rules) and I've been wanting to get into AT.... think I'm sold.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Dark Angels 100pt kill team done. Decided on them because I have all these Indomitus Space Marines but I didn't want to paint up any chapters who were loyal to the emperor :snoop:

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

didn't want to paint up any chapters who were loyal to the emperor :snoop:

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

I don't play AT (yet), and I know that that LOOKS like some Chaos-rear end robots, but - are those Chaos-ready/come with chaos bits?

I inherited a small collection of Epic Chaos marine stuff and it would be fun to have a couple titans to go with them

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
AT models have both loyalist and traitor (mostly the Warmaster's Eye icon) options. Its early heresy so nothing is growing extra limbs and stuff yet but you can covert that stuff if you want.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
What's Adeptus Titanicus like to play?

Something about the low model count and playing a game which is presumably the niche part of an already niche hobby tickles my jimmies for some reason.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Zarshia Bittersoul (with a head swap), that's Khagra's Ravagers 3/4 done!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

DrDraxium posted:

What's Adeptus Titanicus like to play?

Something about the low model count and playing a game which is presumably the niche part of an already niche hobby tickles my jimmies for some reason.

It's fantastic. Each titan is, generally, it's own activation. So I'd do something with one of mine, then you with one of yours. Back and forth for a turn until we'd used everything. The turns are divided into strategy (order issuing), moving, damage control, fighting, and status resolution (your reactor was too hot and you blew up) phases. Each titan has it's own unit card to track shield status and reactor heat. Armour damage and internal malfunctions are divided by head, chest, weapons and leg areas.

The battles themselves are the 'cinematic' experience GW has been aiming for for years. Every game feels like an epic story filled with some incredible moment of high drama. Usually revolving around a slugging match of damage and repair that eventually results in a cascade of failures causing a titan to explode spectacularly.

Off the top of my head I can remember a Reaver titan being killed and left standing silently on the table until a Warlord was killed. The Warlord suffered a massive reactor explosion killing a nearby Warhound outright, and the blast knocking the already dead Warlord over... onto a unit of Knights, killing them. The Warlord, the Reaver, the Warhound and the Knights were all mine.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, regarding AT, how practical/competitive would it be to have a primarily knight (or warhound I guess - those are the smallest two, right?) force, supported by like, 2-3 bigger mechs? And if it is somewhat decent, are there any general builds/guidelines I should be following?
Since after all the posts you guys have made the past few months, I've been increasingly tempted to branch out from KT to AT. :ohdear:

EDIT: I can potentially source two reavers from a friend, as well as maybe a couple of lancer knights (not sure if I want the melee sort yet, though. possibly)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 7, 2021