Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

jarlywarly posted:

Thanks for the link, does the plastic diffuser cap come off easily? I'd want to use the mount to attach my own diffusion material.

I bought some of these a few years ago. They shipped flat and unfolded so you can put silver stickers on the inside of the heads, then attach the white diffusers. So you should be able to replace the diffuser since it's not even assembled when it ships. I'm not sure if the white plastic bit is structural though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Graniteman posted:

I bought some of these a few years ago. They shipped flat and unfolded so you can put silver stickers on the inside of the heads, then attach the white diffusers. So you should be able to replace the diffuser since it's not even assembled when it ships. I'm not sure if the white plastic bit is structural though.

Yeah that's the same type I've got.
By the description the inside where we attached the silver sheet is now white plastic, and comes fully assembled. The diffusers still looked to be attached with the white plastic pin so can still come off easy.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Raikyn posted:

Yeah that's the same type I've got.
By the description the inside where we attached the silver sheet is now white plastic, and comes fully assembled. The diffusers still looked to be attached with the white plastic pin so can still come off easy.

Two more questions, then I'll leave you guys in peace, how big is the diffusion panel and how much gap is there between the flash head surface and the panel. I'd ask the guys but he seems to have closed down for Xmas.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

jarlywarly posted:

Two more questions, then I'll leave you guys in peace, how big is the diffusion panel and how much gap is there between the flash head surface and the panel. I'd ask the guys but he seems to have closed down for Xmas.

Mine looks to be about 115 x 65mm . Gap about 15mm at the bottom 30mm at the top

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
What are the preferred options for focus stacking?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

accipter posted:

What are the preferred options for focus stacking?

As in software or as in technique/equipment?

Software wise I use Helicon, I find it to be better then Zerene for my work.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

jarlywarly posted:

As in software or as in technique/equipment?

Software wise I use Helicon, I find it to be better then Zerene for my work.

Software at the moment. I want to start dabbling -- nothing too serious at the moment.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

accipter posted:

Software at the moment. I want to start dabbling -- nothing too serious at the moment.

Helicon has a trial, that's where I'd start.

https://www.heliconsoft.com/software-downloads/

I just realised there can be two types of software the stacking software and the bracketing camera control software. Helicon has stuff that can do both but I only use the stacking stuff for bracketing I use QDSLR Dashboard on a spare phone.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

jarlywarly posted:

Helicon has a trial, that's where I'd start.

https://www.heliconsoft.com/software-downloads/

I just realised there can be two types of software the stacking software and the bracketing camera control software. Helicon has stuff that can do both but I only use the stacking stuff for bracketing I use QDSLR Dashboard on a spare phone.

Thanks. I will let you know how it goes.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

accipter posted:

Thanks. I will let you know how it goes.

2021-01-02 14-35-15 (B,Radius6,Smoothing3) by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

I don't think the head of the salamander is quite in focus, but I am still happy with the results. I went back out to get another series of images, but it was gone.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

accipter posted:

2021-01-02 14-35-15 (B,Radius6,Smoothing3) by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

I don't think the head of the salamander is quite in focus, but I am still happy with the results. I went back out to get another series of images, but it was gone.

How are you bracketing?

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

jarlywarly posted:

How are you bracketing?

My camera (Fuji X-T4) has a bracketing in the camera. I manually focus to the closest and furthest points, and then it decides (when in auto mode) how many steps to use. That photo was composed from 127 photos. I was in the middle of dealing with toddler that wasn't napping so I didn't have much time for fiddling.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

accipter posted:

My camera (Fuji X-T4) has a bracketing in the camera. I manually focus to the closest and furthest points, and then it decides (when in auto mode) how many steps to use. That photo was composed from 127 photos. I was in the middle of dealing with toddler that wasn't napping so I didn't have much time for fiddling.

Interesting, I do mine with an external app on my DSLR.

I tend to be cautious I set the start point back and the end point further than I need and I take more photos than I end up using because setting up for each scene is quite difficult and I don't want to regret it when I am back in front of the computer.

Its easy to miss a little detail or something in the way of the lens.

Eg this frosty mushroom I am quite annoyed by the OOF blade of grass that I never saw when i was composing.

Frost Damage by Aves Lux, on Flickr

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

Interesting, I do mine with an external app on my DSLR.

I tend to be cautious I set the start point back and the end point further than I need and I take more photos than I end up using because setting up for each scene is quite difficult and I don't want to regret it when I am back in front of the computer.

Its easy to miss a little detail or something in the way of the lens.

Eg this frosty mushroom I am quite annoyed by the OOF blade of grass that I never saw when i was composing.

Frost Damage by Aves Lux, on Flickr

I still think it's a great picture!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
More frosty conditions, going to warm up tomorrow though.

Frozen Droplet by Aves Lux, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Raikyn posted:

They were just bought. Some guy out of the UK was making them.
I had normal stofen type directly on the heads, then these bigger ones over the top of those.

Think this might be the guy https://www.macrodiffuser.com/shop looks like he has his own store now

Thanks for linking this. My flash setup died.. rather, it fell off my camera and rolled down a gravel embankment smashing the LED screen.. lmao

So I've dusted of my Nikon SB-R200's from an old macro kit I bought ages ago... going to take a bit to get used to a new lighter setup

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
I finally got out to do a little focus stacking. I had to wait for the newts to stop moving, but they eventually did. I should have got a bit more of the water droplet on the first one.

2021-01-15 13-42-40 (B,Radius6,Smoothing3) by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

2021-01-15 13-47-31 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4) by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

jarlywarly posted:

More frosty conditions, going to warm up tomorrow though.

Frozen Droplet by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Both this one and the mushroom are fantastic! How big is that frozen droplet, and why is the background so dark?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

DorianGravy posted:

Both this one and the mushroom are fantastic! How big is that frozen droplet, and why is the background so dark?

Thanks, I wanted to take some ice shots this winter but we got like 2 good mornings with cold/still conditions and one was Christmas Day.

The droplet is a few mm across, the background is black because it's taken with a flash and a smallish aperture and the drop was suspended from some tall grass so there's no natural light reaching the sensor and nothing in the immediate background for the flash to reflect off, this is a common thing which happens with flash macro, I mostly try to avoid it these days because it's not always appealing, I like it in this shot though.

I have other shots from the sessions where I shot upwards to put the bright sky in the background so there is a blue backdrop but those didn't turn out as well as this one.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Wow, that's really impressive, jarly! And there's tons of other good stuff in this thread too.

I tried some snowflake photography this morning.

This is just using a 35mm with a short extension tube, and catching the snowflakes on a piece of fabric. I've tried this a number of times now, and most of the time the snowflakes don't look like much. Many snowflakes are tiny or broken or merged or otherwise uninteresting.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Nice snow flakes, it won't snow here, rest of the country has snow, not here though.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Can anyone recommend a macro lens (or a macro solution... I guess I'm not sure how extension tubes work) for a Nikon mount? Under $500 if at all possible, and buying used is absolutely okay with me.

I'm not taking pictures of insects or anything, just thought it would be fun for some detail shots.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

LiterallyATomato posted:

Can anyone recommend a macro lens (or a macro solution... I guess I'm not sure how extension tubes work) for a Nikon mount? Under $500 if at all possible, and buying used is absolutely okay with me.

I'm not taking pictures of insects or anything, just thought it would be fun for some detail shots.

Which Nikon mount? And how important is AF to you on this lens?

Be prepared for narrower DoF than you might imagine, solutions are flash or stacking or long exposures, depending on your subjects.

Bonus photo

Hoverfly Flight by Aves Lux, on Flickr

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

jarlywarly posted:

Which Nikon mount? And how important is AF to you on this lens?

F mount. Autofocus would be nice but not an absolute necessity.

EDIT: Ended up buying Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 for Nikon.

LiterallyATomato fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 5, 2021

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

LiterallyATomato posted:

I have one of those, it's a good, inexpensive lens.

With extension tubes:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

LiterallyATomato posted:

F mount. Autofocus would be nice but not an absolute necessity.

Sorry yeah that's a good choice, the Laowa I usually recommend does not have electronic aperture control on Nikon F (the Canon EF does) and through the viewfinder macro needs electronic aperture control.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Anyone have a good resource on printing some macro photos? I thought about printing a few of my favorite pics I've taken to decorate my office space with but I dont know anything about printing photos.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

I'll cross-promote myself here and say that the canon 5D III that I've used to take all of the photos I've posted in this thread is for sale in the buy/sell thread. I got an R5 and I'm selling the older camera (along with a bunch of Fuji system stuff).

Fingers, printing is a big topic. I'll say that my favorite macro prints, on the wall of my office, are metal prints from bayphoto. The brightness and clarity you get from the aluminum substrate works really well with macro to highlight detail. I don't love it for photos of people, but for shiny bug, shiny metal is great.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Back in the macro game.

Bought one of these:
https://www.laowalens.co.uk/laowa-25mm-f28-25-5x-ultra-macro-lens-canon.html

Not bad to say it's a first go with it.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

AceClown posted:

Back in the macro game.

Bought one of these:
https://www.laowalens.co.uk/laowa-25mm-f28-25-5x-ultra-macro-lens-canon.html

Not bad to say it's a first go with it.

That's a very hard lens to use for live work, wide angle and up to 5x I've seen some nice stacks from it though.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

jarlywarly posted:

That's a very hard lens to use for live work, wide angle and up to 5x I've seen some nice stacks from it though.

I was about to say the same. Godspeed, AceClown.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I've done macro work before using reversing rings and extension tubes so I'm kinda used to the jankiness and quirks of higher magnification hand held stuff. I was just utterly fed up of doing the whole thing where you lock the aperture, whip the lens off, reverse it, do a few test shots, need to adjust the aperture, take it off and repeat.

and for £400, which in photography money is peanuts, I thought I'd make my life a bit easier.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

It definitely seems to be a very capable lens and, yeah, you can't argue with Laowa's pricing.

Keep us posted with your results.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

AceClown posted:

I've done macro work before using reversing rings and extension tubes so I'm kinda used to the jankiness and quirks of higher magnification hand held stuff. I was just utterly fed up of doing the whole thing where you lock the aperture, whip the lens off, reverse it, do a few test shots, need to adjust the aperture, take it off and repeat.

and for £400, which in photography money is peanuts, I thought I'd make my life a bit easier.

The 100mm f/2.8 2x is much easier to use, the EF version has electronic aperture control.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Two more from today:

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Holy poo poo, somehow I managed to swing a HM in the :parrot: Olympus Image of the Year 2020 :parrot: contest thing with this puppy

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hell yeah, congratulations

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

Holy poo poo, somehow I managed to swing a HM in the :parrot: Olympus Image of the Year 2020 :parrot: contest thing with this puppy

gently caress yeah, that's great! Well done!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

Amazing, congrats!