Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

madeintaipei posted:

Are there any left, after the Soviets, the Germans, and the Soviets again?

gently caress it, bring back the North Pontic Greeks!

about 12% of the peninsula ya

https://ria.ru/20210403/dnr-1604096935.html

Russian media is going big on the Ukrainian provocations (I also don't doubt that shelling could have killed a child in donetsk) but I dont think this is anything different from the pattern of yearly "escalations" that has been going since 2014

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
The crimeans were largely deported as opposed to assimilated/killed off (although the deportations did a bunch of that second one). Bunches of em in Turkey and the Turkic Republics.
Although even if you brought em ALL back they'd still probably be a minority on the peninsula.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I was there in 2013 and they were moving back in significant numbers.

I imagine the secession put a stop to that.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

I was there in 2013 and they were moving back in significant numbers.

I imagine the secession put a stop to that.

Yeah, I think there was some trouble actually getting to buy back land that people had been expelled from back during the war and after when the Soviets deported the Crimean Tatars. Although post-independence Ukraine allowed Crimean Tatars to return, and some ~250 000 did, they didn't do that much more to actually accomodate them settling back in their country beyond that, ended up with alot of them, often politically active, squatting on former lands and properties they or their family members had owned. The new Crimean separatist government has cracked down on this, employing police and paramilitary forces to clear out the squatters and have banned Crimean Tatar political and religious organizations.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Russian 'troop build-up' near Ukraine alarms Nato

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56616778

quote:

Russia has warned Nato against sending any troops to help Ukraine, amid reports of a large Russian military build-up on its borders.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Russia would take "additional measures" if Nato were to make such a move.

Sporadic, low-level clashes continue in eastern Ukraine between Ukrainian troops and Russian-backed separatists.

US forces in Europe are now on higher alert, citing "escalations of Russian aggression" in the area.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Guess it's that time of the year again

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

quote:

The NKVD still totally recieves respect in Russia, they have a very prominent day of the Chekist, and Putin embraces his KGB past.

I know that, which is why I brought up Germany and the different approach they have to their history

The Russian state media is out in full swing escalating rhetoric with tales of horrors going on in Ukraine, perfect time to activate any proxies for agitprop in the West to channel the Russian state line, I wonder who it could be

Ah yes, thanks Max "Magnitsky was no angel and died in prison just to make Russia look bad" Blumenthal, good to know the anti-imperialist and anti-war position on this topic

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

laserghost posted:

Russian 'troop build-up' near Ukraine alarms Nato

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56616778

I still don't see an invasion coming, this happened every year except 2020

Somaen posted:

I know that, which is why I brought up Germany and the different approach they have to their history

The Russian state media is out in full swing escalating rhetoric with tales of horrors going on in Ukraine, perfect time to activate any proxies for agitprop in the West to channel the Russian state line, I wonder who it could be

Ah yes, thanks Max "Magnitsky was no angel and died in prison just to make Russia look bad" Blumenthal, good to know the anti-imperialist and anti-war position on this topic

Yeah, Russian media is full of stories of infants being killed by Ukrainian shells (which is a thing that may have actually happened), which is there version of consent manufacturing.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
LOL, it's honestly silly how much Russian running dogs keep harping back on Nuland snorting too much cocaine and proceeding to be an rear end on that phone call.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What a devil

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1378738067553521665?s=21

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Hahahahaha

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

He was backing her up when she was in USA jail.
Not mentioning she was crying about bad treatment in american jail comparing it to torture house too.

How strong the power of state money is.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Erulisse posted:

How strong the power of state money is.

Power of grift.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
IIRC she accumulated hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt to lawyers in the US for the defense, I guess the people that sent her to the US in the first place decided she should work it back

Important lesson to be learned: the motherland will use you while you're useful and then gently caress you over

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Well at least she didn't bring up how much worse people had it it when the Fascist came to her village in 1941(and people didn't even complain back then like they do now all the time about everything)

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Somaen posted:

Important lesson to be learned: the motherland will use you while you're useful and then gently caress you over

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Cushy propagandist job seems fine as a retirement program.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Cushy propagandist job seems fine as a retirement program.

"You today, me tomorrow."

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
actually decent analysis on ukraine

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/04/03/russian-military-build-up-near-ukraine-is-an-intimidation-tactic-a73461

quote:

the movements are being made in a decidedly visible manner. In other words, they are intended to be seen, and are less indicative of preparation for a covert attack. The Russian military could be doing far more to conceal preparations or troop movements were this their objective. Nor do they appear to be of the size commensurate with a major military operation, although the present picture is incomplete as some Russian units are still on the move while others have begun drilling. Consequently, these overt shifts in military posture and readiness appear to be primarily coercive and demonstrative in nature.

The standing hypothesis for why Russia might conduct offensive operations are not especially explanative.

Almost annually, a theory has been floated that Russia intends to seize Ukraine’s Kherson Oblast because of the water crisis in Crimea. The root cause is the shutoff water canal running from the Dnepr, compounded by recent droughts.

This notion has superficial appeal, but the operation would require a sizable force to deploy and occupy Kherson, which would then generate a new set of dilemmas in supplying and managing another fragmented region. Despite its low likelihood, this idea has been trotted out with some frequency, just like the supposed “land bridge to Crimea” operation that Russia never executed (instead building an actual bridge). These proclamations, a form of crying wolf, have proven unhelpful over the years. They have gained new life as Russia deployed an unusually large force into Crimea in recent days, consisting of 58th Army elements, and VDV airborne.

Ukrainian pronouncements had also been somewhat contradictory, raising the threat of escalation, while at the same time claiming that this was Russian baiting, a provocation to which they would not react. Hence Ukrainian forces have shown some movement, but generally do not appear to be responding to this Russian deployment in a manner that suggests they are preparing for war.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1379185852392300549

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

what does this mean. I imagine, as they both have 5k nukes, US and RF are always in high level contact

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i'm sorry, is that a row of metal bunkbeds missing mattresses behind her? cause i don't know if that's a countryside resort atmosphere in russia, but here it has very strong horror movie vibes

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm sorry, is that a row of metal bunkbeds missing mattresses behind her? cause i don't know if that's a countryside resort atmosphere in russia, but here it has very strong horror movie vibes

They don't have mattresses when there are no convicts. And sometimes they don't have them even when there are.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://www.ft.com/content/e7dc0f67-fd63-4c2b-bcc3-fdbe06c4672a

dumb statements that dont help

I wonder if NATO could just ignore the provision about not accepting members with active civil wars

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's behind a paywall.

Assuming it's about letting Ukraine into NATO - imagine how well received would be Polish or German soldiers going there to help..

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

https://www.ft.com/content/e7dc0f67-fd63-4c2b-bcc3-fdbe06c4672a

dumb statements that dont help

I wonder if NATO could just ignore the provision about not accepting members with active civil wars

I think there is zero chance of countries like Germany going along with it. Ukraine claiming article 5 over Donbass is an absolute nightmare scenario.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

alex314 posted:

It's behind a paywall.

Assuming it's about letting Ukraine into NATO - imagine how well received would be Polish or German soldiers going there to help..

quote:

Ukraine’s president has called on Nato to back a membership action plan (MAP) for the country as a formal step towards joining the military alliance, arguing that such a “signal” would deter Russian aggression.

Volodymyr Zelensky’s comments came during a phone call with Nato’s general secretary Jens Stoltenberg on Tuesday to discuss Russia’s military build-up on Ukraine’s borders and its alleged stoking of the conflict in the eastern Donbas region controlled by Kremlin-backed separatists.

“Nato is the only way to end the war in Donbas. Ukraine's MAP will be a real signal for Russia,” Zelensky said according to a statement.

It would be a "signal" that Russia needs to invade asap

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

That's my guess too.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Vasukhani posted:

The Russian strategy has been to start frozen conflicts with any of its neighbors that its worried about joining NATO, because that precludes membership. If that's off the table I don't see them backing down.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1379167704117051395

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

It was frightening reading local social media with people stating that putin should have ordered retaking of the Ukr east back in 2014 and now it "just looks bad".
Also, "small victorious wars" pre-elections.
Or no elections at all because there's war. They can just appoint people they need and krepostnye will have to shut up and eat poo poo as we've been doing last decade.
Jesus loving christ why did I move back to russia.

In other news, Navalny reports that he is coughing heavily. Must be because his "squad" of inmates are all diagnosed with tuberculosis. Wonder what this has to do with attempts to kill him off...

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Erulisse posted:

It was frightening reading local social media with people stating that putin should have ordered retaking of the Ukr east back in 2014 and now it "just looks bad".
Also, "small victorious wars" pre-elections.
Or no elections at all because there's war. They can just appoint people they need and krepostnye will have to shut up and eat poo poo as we've been doing last decade.
Jesus loving christ why did I move back to russia.

In other news, Navalny reports that he is coughing heavily. Must be because his "squad" of inmates are all diagnosed with tuberculosis. Wonder what this has to do with attempts to kill him off...

It is quite convenient as you can both give him a difficult to treat disease (assuming it's a multi resistant strain) that kills him off over time and allows you more options to restrict his interactions (he has a dangerous contagious disease!).

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
If anyone was following the side plot, the general secretary of Amnesty International, under whose watch the literal millionaire stalinist RT employee got to cancel Navalny's prisoner of conscious status, left her post and the new head of AI is dr. Agnes Callamard, author of the UN report on the poisoning of Navalny and expert on extra-judical executions. She's now calling for Navalny's release

https://eurasia.amnesty.org/2021/03/29/doktor-anes-kallamar-naznachena-novym-generalnym-sekretaryom-amnesty-international/

https://twitter.com/AgnesCallamard/status/1379075608030892032

Navalny was cancelled in the first place was from a campaign by RT and their proxies declaring him a loud racist and I saw posts on these forums (including from authoritarian-stan mods) stating that he's a white supremacist, pro-ethnic cleansing and islamophobic which I accepted without investigating thinking that "he probably wrote some vile poo poo on livejournal a while back", but a tankie in another thread only managed to bring this up as proof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV4j_6ofqiA

So the guy in the video is Shamil Basayev, who is up there on the list of the worst human beings on the planet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beslan_school_siege), whose effigy Navalny shoots in a lame pro-gun video from 2010. Not sure why the cockroaches are supposed to be "muslims" or if this means that jewish people who say they wish they could shoot hitler reveals that they are pro-german genocide.

The tankie is now on probation for denying ethnic cleansing by China, maybe someone here knows of corroborating proof of Navalny's lust for genocide or is it all dumb smears?

I know the visa argument too, but again he approaches it from a "let's stop importing slave labor as if we're the gulf coast" https://navalny.com/p/6122/

quote:

- полностью отменить разрешения на работу для любых иностранцев имеющих хорошее образование (скажем, закончивших ВУЗы из топ-300 мирового рейтинга)

- ввести нормальный визовый режим для стран Средней Азии и Закавказья. Не дискриминационный, а совершенно обычный. Такой как сейчас есть между Россией и Евросоюзом

- субсидировать государством ускоренное изучение русского языка и русской культуры для всех мигрантов не имеющих нормального образования

- ввести страховки для мигрантов, чтобы когда ему на стройке отдавило ногу, он мог нормально обратиться в больницу и получить хорошее лечение, а не страдать в бытовке и работать с травмой

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Somaen posted:

The tankie is now on probation for denying ethnic cleansing by China, maybe someone here knows of corroborating proof of Navalny's lust for genocide or is it all dumb smears?

The New Yorker article from this year provides a honest rundown of his ugly history https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/the-evolution-of-alexey-navalnys-nationalism

quote:

At the time, he told me that only a united front could overthrow the Putin regime, and only after that should pro-Western liberal democrats like him hash out their differences with the ethno-nationalists. Albats recalled that it was in this context that she told Navalny that he should attend the Russian March. They went together. “I wore a giant Star of David that I made sure could be seen from a distance,” she told me. “He took a lot of poo poo for walking with a k--e.” Their efforts to engage people in conversation failed, and after three years they gave up.

Albats doing that with Navalny and believing that was extremely on-brand and a good example of what we back in early 10s called "demshiza".

Basically he was engaging with right-wing crowd back in the day and it was half honest center-right ideas (with very chud-like behaviour in the LJ blogging days where calling people f__s and ki__s was shamefully normal) and half trying to cynically build base among the various "intellectual nationalists". The latter famously backfired when a famous nazi fella named Cleaver turned public debates with Navalny into a circus - and some time later right-wing thought was almost completely taken over by Russian state in the anti-Ukrainian fervor and more culture war bullshit. So Navalny switched over to economic populist angle with his series of blockbuster expose videos (from Medvedev onwards) and distances himself from freaks like Libertarian Party of Russia who adopt worst parts of american discourse.

Would he turn into Aung San Suu Kyi given the chance? I'd say maybe - he is a centrist liberal who most likely would close eyes over treatment of migrants or ethnic conflicts. Is he a publicly crazy chud like Farage/eurosceptics/polish jesus freaks/trump acolytes that cover under culture war and appeal to cruelty? No.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Dumb smears.
There are fine lines in here. State propaganda is using these lines literally lying about him.
He is voicing generic concerns about work migrants from select few countries that travel to work in russia without speaking a single russian word, without any papers or insurance, without any work experience or education. They are severely underpaid and are considered (not stretching) "expendable" by employers. I could go on for ages what and how but it's too complex problem. It sounds nationalist (it was almost that back then) but it is directed toward "open border" policy of putler's geopolitical games where migrants from said countries are able to come and work for food without any consequences to their job giver or themselves because they are not even registering with local migration authorities, working permits are sold for ~$500 en masse based only on passport from said countries. Navalny usually proposed increasing quality of non-citizen workers instead of quantity. This is a poke at corruption too. Let's say the state budgets 100 million to clean streets. 50m to buy machines and 50m to pay the workers. What if we spend 80, 30 on the machines and 50 on the workers? Wouldn't work, because workers will not be able to clean without machines. This is not the case where you can pocket 10 out of 50 million of wage money but hire ten times the number of migrants, that by sheer numbers will do the needed work in time. Money stolen, work done, putin's geopolitical poo poo is working. A corrupted "win-win" situation that is happening in here.

Regarding the video and minding it was filmed more than a decade ago, when everything was way edgier - scroll back a page or two and read up on russian caucasus poo poo. This was well known and was happening even worse back then. Kadyrov didn't have an instagram page back in 2000's where he can theatrically demand public apologies from caucasian guy for beating yet another "rusnia bitch" to death. Chechen war memories were fresh and the video of kadyrov's dad slitting throats of 18 y/o russian soldiers was still in the internet. So it's almost like jewish people wishing to shoot nazis, not only hitler. Shoot certain groups of terrorists, not just people who are such and such race.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Thanks for the article, it's rather informative

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
It's also irrelevant. He is not in jail for lovely views shared by a huge portion of Russians, he is in jail because he embarrassed the regime with videos uncovering their corruption and then survived an assassination attempt. A human rights organization ought to be against that happening to awful people, too.

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
iirc from back when I was exposed to the world of Russian “intellectual nationalists”, their main argument against Navalny was that he is not nearly racist enough

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

OddObserver posted:

It's also irrelevant. He is not in jail for lovely views shared by a huge portion of Russians, he is in jail because he embarrassed the regime with videos uncovering their corruption and then survived an assassination attempt. A human rights organization ought to be against that happening to awful people, too.
It's relevant because it undermines Russia propaganda methods on the internet. Every comment section of an article about Navalny is filled with John Smiths copy/pasting "he's a bad racist man, possibly a Nazi" over and over again. But only within 9am - 5pm Moscow hours. Counteracting those propaganda efforts is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

OddObserver posted:

But Amnesty does precisely that? :confused: It's just that they have a precise definition for 'prisoner of consciense' but they don't work only for prisoners of conscience to be freed.