Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Mola Yam posted:

I often wonder what the ones we never hear about are up to.

creation of the DIA was always just stunting a fat lol on the public, check out the first vs. last sentence in the article comparing it to the CIA on Wikipedia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
My grandfather was in the DIA for years after WWII. Retired as a colonel, and lived in all kinds of interesting places; Berlin, Tehran, Moscow, Puerto Rico etc. Wish I knew more than that but mom ain't talking (I don't think she knows much tbh), and the one reference I can find to him in online archives is about how he was grumpy that no one was reading the internal DIA newsletter in the 60s.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
SPACE DELTA SEVEN

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Space Force service members are known as guardians. The title of guardian has a long history in space operations, tracing its heritage to Air Force Space Command's 1983 motto, Guardians of the High Frontier.[83] It was announced to commemorate the Space Force's first birthday by Vice President Mike Pence on 18 December 2020. Previously, they were referred to as space professionals.[84]

guardians and space professionals both sound like poo poo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Puppet Master posted:

Space Force service members are known as guardians. The title of guardian has a long history in space operations, tracing its heritage to Air Force Space Command's 1983 motto, Guardians of the High Frontier.[83] It was announced to commemorate the Space Force's first birthday by Vice President Mike Pence on 18 December 2020. Previously, they were referred to as space professionals.[84]

This something like something out of a bad video game RPG.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Tangentially related, I dont know if there are any war nerd podcast people here but episode 2 on the national endowment for democracy just dropped

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Mola Yam posted:

I often wonder what the ones we never hear about are up to.

Office of Terrorism (and Financial Intelligence) is a little on the nose

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

nut posted:

I dont' think this is the right thread but I would love to read you explain more about this because lol if u think I grasped even a sentence from that article :c00lbert:

Sorry for continuing this derail, but this video from pbs spacetime has a great overview of the concept

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
full autopsies were performed on aliens during prime time in the 90s and no one wants you to talk about it any more. it's wild

nut
Jul 30, 2019

imo, they want some people to talk about it still :tinfoil:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

veepfake posted:

what was this story? got any keywords i could look up?

one of the (former) mods runs bellingcat which functions as a cia cutout, pretty explicitly lol

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/12/17/bellingcat-can-say-what-u-s-intelligence-cant/

quote:

The work of Bellingcat, an open-source investigative outfit, has been instrumental in exposing years of nefarious Russian activity. But, perhaps more importantly, it has also enabled U.S. officials and lawmakers to discuss Moscow’s skullduggery openly without revealing the sources and methods of the U.S. intelligence agencies.

I don’t want to be too dramatic, but we love this,” said Marc Polymeropolous, the CIA’s former deputy chief of operations for Europe and Eurasia.

When former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter were poisoned, it was Bellingcat that was first to publicly identify the two Russian military intelligence operatives that had traveled to the U.K. to spritz the door handle of the Skripals’ home with the Soviet-era nerve agent.

“[b]Whenever we had to talk to our liaison partners about it, instead of trying to have things cleared or worry about classification issues, you could just reference their work[/b[,” said Polymeropolous, who retired from the CIA in 2019.
The Russians routinely deny, and say, well present us the facts,” said Daniel Hoffman, a former CIA Chief of Station. “The greatest value of Bellingcat is that we can then go to the Russians and then say, there you go.”
The other benefit of the very public nature of Bellingcat’s findings is that it can free up U.S. officials and legislators to discuss the issue when formulating a response—which can be tough to do otherwise.

“It’s a significant policy challenge when you make a decision based on intelligence, and you don’t want to risk your sources and methods,” said Hoffman. The U.S. intelligence community will periodically release short statements about threats to the nation, while keeping information about how they were able to reach these conclusions tightly under wraps.

Open-source intelligence gets around that. “The advantage of having Bellingcat doing it is that you don’t have to have a sources-and-methods debate within your government,” said Daniel Fried, a retired diplomat who served as assistant secretary of state for European and Eurasian affairs under former President George W. Bush.

Bellingcat is of course not funded by the CIA, just the National Endowment for Democracy. NED of course was explicitly created as a funding cutout for the CIA:

quote:

In 1986, NED's President Carl Gershman said that the NED was created because "It would be terrible for democratic groups around the world to be seen as subsidized by the CIA. We saw that in the 1960's and that's why it has been discontinued".[55] Throughout the course of a 2010 investigation by ProPublica, Paul Steiger, the then editor in chief of the publication said that "those who spearheaded creation of NED have long acknowledged it was part of an effort to move from covert to overt efforts to foster democracy" and cited as evidence a 1991 interview in which then-NED president Allen Weinstein said, "A lot of what we do today was done covertly 25 years ago by the CIA."

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

one of the (former) mods runs bellingcat which functions as a cia cutout, pretty explicitly lol

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/12/17/bellingcat-can-say-what-u-s-intelligence-cant/

Bellingcat is of course not funded by the CIA, just the National Endowment for Democracy. NED of course was explicitly created as a funding cutout for the CIA:

when I heard of bellingcat for the first time I instinctively thought "that has to be the CIA" and yes, it was. it's so stupid too, some guy at HQ was like. hey maybe we can get some online nerds to do our work for us, and it loving worked. dumb rear end nerds, even the name is the most obnoxiously reddit esque poo poo

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
sorta missed most of the UFO chat but everyone should look at Bob Lazar and his story through the lens of this thread

I used to think he was just a complete liar but at this point I think he believes what he's saying. I think he was recognized as a useful idiot and was shown some bullshit things that he really wanted to believe in, and he's been doing the feds' disinfo work completely free for decades now

I guess he could just be a spook but I think his story would be a lot more coherent if he was

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Polymeropolous? That sounds like a loving Greek plastics laboratory, no loving way is that a real name handed down generationally from an ancestor who was named that.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

check out this 4chan post from January 2020

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
too small

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
what the gently caress does it say

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

mawarannahr posted:

what the gently caress does it say
Ts;dr

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

among other things talks about brazil mutation in particular being much more deadly

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

In the early days of covid most of the conspiracies were about how it was actually much deadlier than was being reported, and then once lock downs started up it mostly shifted to how it was actually fake

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

lol I remember when the pandemic was young and people kept posting videos of Chinese people vomiting blood and staggering around on the streets, along with stories about bodies being burned by the tens of thousands and the military executing people in hospitals and poo poo

i wonder who was behind that stuff :thunk:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The Chad Jihad posted:

In the early days of covid most of the conspiracies were about how it was actually much deadlier than was being reported, and then once lock downs started up it mostly shifted to how it was actually fake

the dudes reading the sulfur emissions from wuhan and calculating millions of dead burnt bodies was good content

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

the dudes reading the sulfur emissions from wuhan and calculating millions of dead burnt bodies was good content

this poo poo is so stupid

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

it definitely went from "bro china is lying they have like a MILLION DEAD and aren't telling the truth it's like 10% fatality rate but super contagious too" to "OPEN ER UP" as soon as people realized it was just (mostly) brown people, old people, and very obese dying, and staying closed hurt profits bigly.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

KaptainKrunk posted:

it definitely went from "bro china is lying they have like a MILLION DEAD and aren't telling the truth it's like 10% fatality rate but super contagious too" to "OPEN ER UP" as soon as people realized it was just (mostly) brown people, old people, and very obese dying, and staying closed hurt profits bigly.

Now it's both simultaneously.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Cached Money posted:

when I heard of bellingcat for the first time I instinctively thought "that has to be the CIA" and yes, it was. it's so stupid too, some guy at HQ was like. hey maybe we can get some online nerds to do our work for us, and it loving worked. dumb rear end nerds, even the name is the most obnoxiously reddit esque poo poo

CIA: where can we find a bunch of autistic people to do OSI for us and we don't have to pay them?
brown moses: hold my beer

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/liz_franczak/status/1379932969142345731?s=19

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

The Puppet Master posted:

Sounds like a cult. If Space Force was carved out of the Air Force Space Command, it's definitely weird and culty inside.

Makes me wonder if Space Force was really Trump's dumb idea, or if the agencies forced it upon him in a "do this or have some problems" kind of way.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

SMDH. Newsweek, Newsweek, Newsweek... The blood of the young doesn't stop aging. You gotta gently caress the young like Jeffrey and Ghislane did.

:crackping:

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
The spaceforce was in the works for some years before trump came into office

That the spaceforce is his baby is a fabrication

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

well he could have named it

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah, it really seems like it was little more than a structural re-organizing of pre-existing departments in the DoD, shuffled off into their own thing, presumably because operations within their scope had expanded to a point that actually warranted it.

But libs were so ready to laugh at trump that an unfunny reality didn't matter much.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^ ^ ^ Lol, beaten in the half hour it took to check-in a guy who doesn't speak English very well at all and whose name was hosed up on the reservation.

Backweb posted:

Makes me wonder if Space Force was really Trump's dumb idea
It was not! They actually picked the perfect president to roll it out under because now that Biden's pasty, rapey, racist rear end has started to pancake out behind the Resolute Desk, everything about the U.S. is unqualifiedly good!

I'm reasonably certain a double-digit percentage of Amerikkkans believe Trump made up Space Force from his own silly toddler mind and the rest of the government went along with it because God Emperor.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Plausible deniability then. Cos the narrative that it's Trump's creation is gonna stick.

A fighting force that actually is just a bloated MIC grift machine? Nah, orange man invented it. Haha isn't that crazy? Please ignore the spy satellites watching your daughter sunbathing. Praise Jesus.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Backweb posted:

Plausible deniability then. Cos the narrative that it's Trump's creation is gonna stick.

A fighting force that actually is just a bloated MIC grift machine? Nah, orange man invented it. Haha isn't that crazy? Please ignore the spy satellites watching your daughter sunbathing. Praise Jesus.

They already have such satellites and I'd be legit shocked if they weren't already used for that, especially with everyone on social media posting entire loving dossiers on themselves.

Space Force got parodied on Veep so yeah, liberals have already decided it's Trump's branch.

The first supposed head honcho of Space Force is a First Nations broad, so if you laugh at Space Force, you hate women AND First Nations peoples!

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Tubgoat posted:

They already have such satellites and I'd be legit shocked if they weren't already used for that, especially with everyone on social media posting entire loving dossiers on themselves.

Space Force got parodied on Veep so yeah, liberals have already decided it's Trump's branch.

The first supposed head honcho of Space Force is a First Nations broad, so if you laugh at Space Force, you hate women AND First Nations peoples!

Yeah, the satellites are all doing that anyway, but now they're centralized!

I like how TSA airport scanner techs have all been sharing the high res nudes amongst themselves for years.

Even better is that 1/6 showed that the security state of the past 20 years has been a farcical grift for the MIC.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Backweb posted:

Yeah, the satellites are all doing that anyway, but now they're centralized!

I like how TSA airport scanner techs have all been sharing the high res nudes amongst themselves for years.

Even better is that 1/6 showed that the security state of the past 20 years has been a farcical grift for the MIC.

It was more like a Reichstag Firecracker; the intelligence community and media apparatus were in on it.

I don't remember who said it and I wish I did because it is a brilliant quote (paraphrased because I don't remember the precise wording): "There was a fascist coup on 1/6, except it was by the media and government."

You (not you, OP) gonna try and tell me that alphabet soup had no idea what was being planned when over half of their members were part of the group chat?

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
The space force is not a fighting force. Actual warfare in space is handled by the joint space command, which i believe has been around for longer than I have

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Okay, according to wikipedia between 2002-2019 space warfare was actually under the joint Strategic command, but you get what I mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i hope the intelligence agents reading this thread get a good chuckle from our hijinks sometimes.

like I know it's a meme to post about "the nsa agent reading this" but every thread on this forum has to be setting off alarm bells at some three letter agency. C-SPAM has gotta be hitting way too many key word filters for nobody to be checking on it periodically