Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

rydiafan posted:

I have bought and given away upwards of a dozen copies of this book: https://www.amazon.com/Salt-World-History-Mark-Kurlansky/dp/0142001619

Wich is your favourite?

E- Snipe? About salt? And it's just a lazy bad pun?

Cocaine Bear has a new favorite as of 12:51 on Apr 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cocaine Bear posted:

Wich is your favourite?

E- Snipe? About salt? And it's just a lazy bad pun?

Rosemary Salt! If you know you know.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I use the Morton Iodized stuff to really give my eggs a kick in the morning.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The white one is okay. Adds saltiness to food.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I was wondering what the hell phantom of the opera had to do with this, then the penny dropped.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

MULTI NERD DRIFTING

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do recall a study on old family recipes tends to turn out that nearly all of them are identical and tend to be exactly what was printed on the packaging back in the 50s.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

A joke worthy of Göteborg/Gothenburg's inhabitants, the cockneys of Sweden

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Guillermus posted:

Rosemary Salt! If you know you know.

Oh.....I know

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

shut the gently caress up, frog

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Middle Week or Little Saturday is a natural law.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

shut the gently caress up, frog

- me, to Voltaire after his dumb rear end HRE joke

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Vegeta is a seasoning salt that comes from Croatia you can put it on almost anything it's great and amazing.

It's got all kinds of different ingredients in its spice blend but secretly it's mostly salt and MSG. Perfect on eggs! Buy some!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
MSG is magic and it sucks that people did it dirty with racism

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Vegeta is a seasoning salt that comes from Croatia you can put it on almost anything it's great and amazing.

It's got all kinds of different ingredients in its spice blend but secretly it's mostly salt and MSG. Perfect on eggs! Buy some!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

MSG is magic and it sucks that people did it dirty with racism

No, MTG is magic

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

there was a perfectly good bat meme that said exactly this can this frog just gently caress off?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

zoux posted:

No, MTG is magic

No, she’s magical thinking

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hollandia posted:

Well, post the recipe already.

Trim green beans so none are over 4" long, and trim the ends cause those suck

Finely dice fresh garlic

Sautee green beans in wok using butter until beans are just starting to soften

Scoop out beans and rebutter the wok and sautee garlic for about 20 to 30 seconds over med-low heat. You just want to start getting that really strong garlic smell.

Toss beans back into wok and stir them around constantly for another 20 seconds or so, you don't want the garlic to burn.

Put beans into large mixing bowl, toss with salt and MSG to taste.

Edit: With this I specifically use just plain iodized salt because fancy salts usually come in much larger granules and so they don't coat the beans as evenly, so you get some that are super salty and some that aren't salty at all.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I know we are venturing out of meme territory, but can diced garlic go bad? Like, the stuff is prevents fungus and bacteria, so it seems like mold is unlikely... It would just lose flavor right?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I've never seen moldy diced garlic, but that is mainly because I eat all the garlic and it never lasts very long because if you dice it and let it sit it tastes like nothing.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

CainFortea posted:

Edit: With this I specifically use just plain iodized salt because fancy salts usually come in much larger granules and so they don't coat the beans as evenly, so you get some that are super salty and some that aren't salty at all.

pickle salt is really good for this

or kosher salt crushed in a mortar

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And here we'd thought Garlic Jr and the Spice Boys had that on lock.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

MSG Gang where you at?

i didnt know uncle roger was a goon

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CainFortea posted:

I've never seen moldy diced garlic, but that is mainly because I eat all the garlic and it never lasts very long because if you dice it and let it sit it tastes like nothing.

I bought a caterers thing of pre-diced garlic at hmart a long time ago, but mostly use powdered in my normal cooking.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

CainFortea posted:

What I've read says that garlic only really goes bad and collects bacteria when it's not exposed to air. It'll dry up and get gross, but it's only when you put it in oil or something where you get really quick potential spoiling.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I see a potential new source for memes. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/05/soviet-tv-version-lord-of-the-rings-rediscovered-after-30-years

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

I bought a caterers thing of pre-diced garlic at hmart a long time ago, but mostly use powdered in my normal cooking.

I also have the pre-diced jar for some things, but it doesn't work in this recipe very well at all. It's too wet and you tend to burn the juice which gives you that burnt sweet garlic flavor that sucks. And there's not much punch to it. Fresh dice gives you a lot more wiggle room before you burn it, and the flavor punches a lot more.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

RFC2324 posted:

I know we are venturing out of meme territory, but can diced garlic go bad? Like, the stuff is prevents fungus and bacteria, so it seems like mold is unlikely... It would just lose flavor right?

ILL Machina posted:

What I've read says that garlic only really goes bad and collects bacteria when it's not exposed to air. It'll dry up and get gross, but it's only when you put it in oil or something where you get really quick potential spoiling.
Garlic in oil can give you botulism if left at room temperature for a while.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

ILL Machina posted:

If that the case confit wouldn't be a viable preservation technique.

My mom would buy bulk heads of garlic, peel them all, then store them on jars topped with neutral oil in the refrigerator. That stuff lasted what seemed like forever, compared to the garlic I'd store in the same way sans the oil. Oxidation is the enemy of food preservation as it allows possible bacteria to enter.

Anyway, meme:

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Empty Sandwich posted:

pickle salt is really good for this

or kosher salt crushed in a mortar

Isn't the whole point of fleur d sel that it has like...max surface area and there fore is absorbed better?

Kosher salt should really be used when the salt dissolves into a liquid, often with heat applied.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Android Apocalypse posted:

If that the case confit wouldn't be a viable preservation technique.

My mom would buy bulk heads of garlic, peel them all, then store them on jars topped with neutral oil in the refrigerator. That stuff lasted what seemed like forever, compared to the garlic I'd store in the same way sans the oil. Oxidation is the enemy of food preservation as it allows possible bacteria to enter.

It's the oil at room temperature bit that does it, not fridged oil.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

i eat salt by the bowlful thats what we're talking about, right?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jabberlock posted:

i eat salt by the bowlful thats what we're talking about, right?

I too enjoy instant noodles

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well well well

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Fermentation is god's own personal method of preservation.

LOL if you don't ferment garlic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

zoux posted:

Well well well

Fake news.

Unfortunately.