Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm not going to go reread thousands of pages but this thread absolutely predicted the rise in price of romplers a couple years ago

for field recordings, should I just try to capture stuff on my iphone mic? get a baby zoom / tascam? what about the lightning connector mic attachments for iphone? I want to grab wildlife sounds and like, crackling bonfire noises (we're going camping soon). probably all very quiet stuff. and 24bit / 44100 for octatrack compatibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm not going to go reread thousands of pages but this thread absolutely predicted the rise in price of romplers a couple years ago

for field recordings, should I just try to capture stuff on my iphone mic? get a baby zoom / tascam? what about the lightning connector mic attachments for iphone? I want to grab wildlife sounds and like, crackling bonfire noises (we're going camping soon). probably all very quiet stuff. and 24bit / 44100 for octatrack compatibility

tascam’s better than a specialty iPhone mic, IMO- but you can do a surprising amount just with the built in mics or the inline mic on some headphones, especially if you’re going to do a ton of processing to it.

if you wanna put stuff on an iOS device you can always plug an external whatever into it with a dongle or drop stuff on wirelessly. iOS is USB class compliant now so lots of random poo poo like interfaces, mixers, usb mics, Sd card readers, recorders, etc will talk to it.

Don’t spend money on something with a lightning plug that only works with your phone and nothing else tho.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ok Comboomer posted:

tascam’s better than a specialty iPhone mic, IMO- but you can do a surprising amount just with the built in mics or the inline mic on some headphones, especially if you’re going to do a ton of processing to it.

if you wanna put stuff on an iOS device you can always plug an external whatever into it with a dongle or drop stuff on wirelessly. iOS is USB class compliant now so lots of random poo poo like interfaces, mixers, usb mics, Sd card readers, recorders, etc will talk to it.

Don’t spend money on something with a lightning plug that only works with your phone and nothing else tho.

thanks, i'm not planning to process it too much, just use found audio for ambience. was worried the mic wouldn't pick up quiet stuff without introducing too much noise. going to just try it anyway and hope for the best

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Maybe not the right thread, but does anyone know where I can download a 32bit version of orca? It exists, or existed at least. Would love to chuck it on my old netbook.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

A MIRACLE posted:

this is really cool, like a soundtrack to a long lost made for tv Conan movie

Thanks! It was done with the Korg's official M1 VST. I thought it sounded off, so I ended up turning it into one of my regular beep boop tracks.

I did a few more including these two, which I thought turned out well:
https://alonetone.com/spacehoers/tracks/dungeon-synth-1
https://alonetone.com/spacehoers/tracks/dungeon-synth-2

I used a plugin called Liquid Music on them, where you set a scale and chord progression, and then draw in how you want the melody to go, but that felt like I was cheating, so I stopped using it.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I somehow came across this Music Radar series called ‘40 Greatest Synth Sounds of all Time’ and..... am I going crazy, or is this like if someone offered a ‘how to draw your favorite comic book character’ and then showed you a stick figure with Googley eyes?

https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-40-greatest-synth-sounds-of-all-time-no-37-enya-orinoco-flow

https://www.musicradar.com/how-to/the-40-greatest-synth-sounds-of-all-time-no-40-wendy-carlos-a-clockwork-orange

Do these sound in any way like the originals? Am I missing something? What is going on here?!?!?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

A MIRACLE posted:

You may have already seen this dude, but he uses a little Tascam, wandering around places sampling random stuff then makes rad techno bleep bloops on the Digitakt with em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McPfvD5d398

W424
Oct 21, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

I have recorded a bunch of stuff with iphone, it’s surprisingly usable. The default app records in some lovely format, needs to be converted with itunes (possibly the worst piece of software ever). I’ve thought about getting a recorder but would probably never carry it around vs a phone, mic for the phone might be fine for me.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

W424 posted:

I have recorded a bunch of stuff with iphone, it’s surprisingly usable. The default app records in some lovely format, needs to be converted with itunes (possibly the worst piece of software ever). I’ve thought about getting a recorder but would probably never carry it around vs a phone, mic for the phone might be fine for me.

if you’re talking about the voice memos app those are just m4a files which can be converted with most normal encoding software though you may need iTunes to copy them off phone.

you might also want to change the recording format to “uncompressed” in the settings app because the compression is really aggressive which is fine for the intended purpose but maybe less fine if you’re using them for audio production.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I have a handheld stereo Tascam and it's actually very quiet and responsive, but whoa nelly is there some handling noise. That hard plastic case can be an issue. It's definitely better than my phone, though.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

skull mask mcgee posted:

if you’re talking about the voice memos app those are just m4a files which can be converted with most normal encoding software though you may need iTunes to copy them off phone.

you might also want to change the recording format to “uncompressed” in the settings app because the compression is really aggressive which is fine for the intended purpose but maybe less fine if you’re using them for audio production.

I remembered that Audacity couldn't open those files, checked and it needs the FFmpeg library on pc.
Now I dont need itunes wich is loving sweet, thanks!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

rickiep00h posted:

I have a handheld stereo Tascam and it's actually very quiet and responsive, but whoa nelly is there some handling noise. That hard plastic case can be an issue. It's definitely better than my phone, though.

Yeah same, I got a cheapo "shock mount" handle that attached to the stand thread on the back of the recorder, that helped a lot. God help you if you happened to press any of the buttons on the unit while you were recording, though.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

toadee posted:

I somehow came across this Music Radar series called ‘40 Greatest Synth Sounds of all Time’ and..... am I going crazy, or is this like if someone offered a ‘how to draw your favorite comic book character’ and then showed you a stick figure with Googley eyes?

https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-40-greatest-synth-sounds-of-all-time-no-37-enya-orinoco-flow

https://www.musicradar.com/how-to/the-40-greatest-synth-sounds-of-all-time-no-40-wendy-carlos-a-clockwork-orange

Do these sound in any way like the originals? Am I missing something? What is going on here?!?!?

yeah no that sounds like dogshit

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Do people have a favorite midi controller that comes in 61 keys and is there any point to getting something like an mx61 versus soft synths for playing at home?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Do people have a favorite midi controller that comes in 61 keys and is there any point to getting something like an mx61 versus soft synths for playing at home?

ime software vs hardware pretty much comes down to how much a tactile/immediate experience is important to you; software has more power and versatility in most cases. I dislike having knobs and sliders on my controller be reassigned when a new instrument is being controlled because I lose track of where things are and get frustrated for example. But if you don’t mind working in a DAW there’s a huge amount of very good free stuff to play with so a good controller and soft synths is much cheaper to do unless you buy a bunch of fancy plugins

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

should I get the Korg M3 rack for $150?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Haha what the hell, Orinoco Flow was literally the Pizzagogo patch from the D-50 why are they trying to redo it when it's right there in Roland Cloud

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

should I get the Korg M3 rack for $150?

Sounds like a killer pad machine. I'd definitely look into some kind of editor though if you want to do more than play the presets.

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
Lmao there's a volca keys in the Loki trailer around the 36 second mark

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Being used as what?

WandaVision had some kind of controller prominently visible at times too, and Legion also had some kind of synth standing in for lab equipment. Can't fault the prop people, they're readily available, have lots of knobs and flashing lights and wires and don't look immediately like anything else.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Philthy posted:

Still haven't "made" much with it as of yet, I've done a lot of NDLR stuff with beats and putting together some House style stuff with realative ease. But nothing finished. Am I having fun? You bet!

How's the NDLR doing a month down the road?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Tayter Swift posted:

Haha what the hell, Orinoco Flow was literally the Pizzagogo patch from the D-50 why are they trying to redo it when it's right there in Roland Cloud

For real it’s like one of the most famous presets of all time, up there with like Fantasia and Lately bass or the Hoover bass. It’s almost impressive how off they were.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

a mysterious cloak posted:

How's the NDLR doing a month down the road?

It's hard to explain really. I've typed paragraphs and deleted them a few times. I guess in the end, it's worth the price, but the music it does is sort of 'canned' sounding. This might be because I haven't mastered it. You can select scales, modes, and then edit the sequences by hand after the fact. But for me, a lot of it came out sounding sort of the same. It's not bad by any means. From a generative standpoint, I'd say you'd like it regardless. From a practical standpoint, I'm not sure how worthwhile it'd be. I get into generative moods and use marbles with rings and elements and this simply adds to it all. One thing that I think would make it more worthwhile is something how marbles has a gate and pitch knobs that allow each sequence to slowly mutate or widely mutate depending how much you turn them, and even a way to keep the sequence going. I don't see anything like that on the NDLR yet.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Philthy posted:

It's hard to explain really. I've typed paragraphs and deleted them a few times. I guess in the end, it's worth the price, but the music it does is sort of 'canned' sounding. This might be because I haven't mastered it. You can select scales, modes, and then edit the sequences by hand after the fact. But for me, a lot of it came out sounding sort of the same. It's not bad by any means. From a generative standpoint, I'd say you'd like it regardless. From a practical standpoint, I'm not sure how worthwhile it'd be. I get into generative moods and use marbles with rings and elements and this simply adds to it all. One thing that I think would make it more worthwhile is something how marbles has a gate and pitch knobs that allow each sequence to slowly mutate or widely mutate depending how much you turn them, and even a way to keep the sequence going. I don't see anything like that on the NDLR yet.

I've had to really play with the motifs to find which ones go together and then heavily process them with delays, bitcrusher and a Fuzzrocious octaver to move them around the beat to shake that canned, staid feel. I kick myself for not recording my last time because somehow I got an Ennio Morricone spaghetti western sound out of the chord progression for the Beatles' "A Day In The Life" using only the piano setting on my Korg X5. I am just starting to explore what I can send to it with a computer (mostly just chord progressions right now) and I think you can change everything as you go.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

man, the fs1r looks sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAqMe_rSLWk

can't believe they're two thousand dollars. if anyone wants to lend me one for a few months lmk lol

QY 700 is a likely future purchase

soundcloud won't let me host this but please enjoy some handmade vaporwave! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BJ5Ymn6dhFB7XYM9gxCIgz0jLE1WAKMu/view

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 11, 2021

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Interesting - from watching demos I'd gotten a similar sort of impression. It looks cool and fun, but I don't know that it would be particularly useful, although I can see happy accidents popping up now and then. It looks like getting into the menus and changing stuff on the fly would add some variation, along with messing with parameters on the synths themselves.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

A friend of mine is looking to build a theremin. Does anyone know of any good DIY kits with all the parts already included similar to the old Adafruit x0xb0x kits?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

a mysterious cloak posted:

Interesting - from watching demos I'd gotten a similar sort of impression. It looks cool and fun, but I don't know that it would be particularly useful, although I can see happy accidents popping up now and then. It looks like getting into the menus and changing stuff on the fly would add some variation, along with messing with parameters on the synths themselves.

Yeah, you can do stuff on the fly, but the menu diving is not very fun. It's completely bizarre.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

A MIRACLE posted:

man, the fs1r looks sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAqMe_rSLWk

can't believe they're two thousand dollars. if anyone wants to lend me one for a few months lmk lol

They didn't used to be. I considered getting one when I was on my synth buying binge almost ten years ago and they were I think $700-800 then. I kinda miss those days but not really since I bought 4 synths that give me plenty right now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

net work error posted:

A friend of mine is looking to build a theremin. Does anyone know of any good DIY kits with all the parts already included similar to the old Adafruit x0xb0x kits?

just get one from moog

or get one of the diy build kits from moog (do they even still sell those?)

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I built a paia theremax kit years ago.
I just got it as a bare PCB/component kit and built my own case and antennas.
It was a good kit and it's been a good instrument.
The only issue I have with it is that it goes out of tune (the coils inside) a lot and it takes a lot of fiddling with the coils to get it to work again.
I'll pop up some pics of my build later on.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

So here it is
The case is an artists box from some craft store I wanted it to be in a brief case but I couldn't find a good one at the time.
The antennas I got thick copper wiring from home depot, bent it, polished them, and soldered them to XLR connectors so they are detachable.
I really need to tidy up the wiring it was supposed to be temporary while I got it working and it's been that way ever since.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Upgraded my Eurorack case today

Made some space farts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKJColsle8I

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I got an Elektron Model:Samples today and the pad sensitivity (or lack thereof) is really bugging me. I changed the VDep on the pads to 100 but it's still not very usable for me, I'm hammering on it just to get something around 50. Does everyone just turn it off altogether? I saw one Youtube video about opening it up and messing with the pads.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Never understood pressure sensitivity on pads. I always turn it off and go back in by hand and tweak, because you're just going to do it anyway even if you don't.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Mozi posted:

I got an Elektron Model:Samples today and the pad sensitivity (or lack thereof) is really bugging me. I changed the VDep on the pads to 100 but it's still not very usable for me, I'm hammering on it just to get something around 50. Does everyone just turn it off altogether? I saw one Youtube video about opening it up and messing with the pads.

Common complaint with both models. They look nice and squishy but it’s a lie. Wait for v2 imo

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!

Mozi posted:

They are terrible. Just turn off the variable velocity and use them as on-off switches and they’re tolerable. Fortunately everything else about the Model:Samples is pretty great.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah I set mine with set velocity and it has been smooth sailing. The sensitivity is really goofy but I quickly realized that I don’t really need pressure sensitive pads anyway, even as someone who like a “live feel”. I need to post my Model:Samples gush soon because I absolutely love this thing. Honestly one of those pieces of gear that feels like it has totally changed the game for me. I never realized how much I needed a sampler.

Also lol @ me getting pumped to grab some various classic drum machine samples to try out and ending up getting the $1 CR-78 from Samples From Mars to try their stuff out and realizing that it may be my favorite drum machine! I barely even crave that 808 pack I was eyeing up for days and days. Nah jk I still want it and have been making cheek to cheek gently caress jams since grabbing their freebie 808.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah I set mine with set velocity and it has been smooth sailing. The sensitivity is really goofy but I quickly realized that I don’t really need pressure sensitive pads anyway, even as someone who like a “live feel”. I need to post my Model:Samples gush soon because I absolutely love this thing. Honestly one of those pieces of gear that feels like it has totally changed the game for me. I never realized how much I needed a sampler.

Also lol @ me getting pumped to grab some various classic drum machine samples to try out and ending up getting the $1 CR-78 from Samples From Mars to try their stuff out and realizing that it may be my favorite drum machine! I barely even crave that 808 pack I was eyeing up for days and days. Nah jk I still want it and have been making cheek to cheek gently caress jams since grabbing their freebie 808.

Get the Puremagnetik Century when it goes on super discount (currently sitting at $200 down from $500 msrp but it gets way cheaper on Black Friday, etc) and never buy sample packs again (unless you want to).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Ok so does anyone have a favorite controller that comes in 61 keys