Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Zwabu posted:

I think the biggest problem I had with Bonemass initially is not realizing his poison cloud is stronger than poison resist potion so you need to just get the gently caress out of it/away from it. Probably suffered one or two unnecessary deaths because of that.

What do you mean it's stronger than the resist? Poison resistance doesn't block poison damage, it cuts the damage and duration by half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

What do you mean it's stronger than the resist? Poison resistance doesn't block poison damage, it cuts the damage and duration by half.

To be more precise I meant his cloud deals too much damage over time to realistically stand in and fight for any amount of time, potion or not, unlike, say, fighting blobs.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Trap two Eikthyrs in a pen and see if they can make baby Eiklets.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

GlyphGryph posted:

Wait, are there people who don't intentionally summon half a dozen Eikthers just to watch them rampage around the wilderness?

Do any of the bosses dislike each other btw? Because I just got an idea.

I was just wondering about this today. Our first summoning location for The Elder was very close to a plains village. I wonder if you could get the plains creatures to kill a boss for you. Or are the creatures that will attack each other a hard coded list?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I remember people testing this earlier after launch... unfortunately bosses won't attack each other.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Otacon posted:

I remember people testing this earlier after launch... unfortunately bosses won't attack each other.

Intentionally, I don't see how the elder could avoid it. Unless they just can't hurt each other

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Azhais posted:

Intentionally, I don't see how the elder could avoid it. Unless they just can't hurt each other

Trolls can't seem to hurt the greys. :(

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Trolls not hurting greys is such a stupid thing. There is so much incredible entertainment potential in trolls just sending all those fuckers flying every time they lob an attack at you, and we get none of it!

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

drat the plains hit hard. Went on so many deaths runs that all the display stands at base were emptied. Pulled down every weapon we could, grabbed all the armor. Fulings will come at you 8-10 strong with their berserkers. If you avoid those fucks, a deathsquito will be happy to attend to you. Finally managed to re-collect all of our stuff and fight our way back to base. I got out of the deal with 100+ black metal though. Fully upgraded padded armor, black metal shields, and the best food didn't help. They're just too intense in numbers.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Untrustable posted:

drat the plains hit hard. Went on so many deaths runs that all the display stands at base were emptied. Pulled down every weapon we could, grabbed all the armor. Fulings will come at you 8-10 strong with their berserkers. If you avoid those fucks, a deathsquito will be happy to attend to you. Finally managed to re-collect all of our stuff and fight our way back to base. I got out of the deal with 100+ black metal though. Fully upgraded padded armor, black metal shields, and the best food didn't help. They're just too intense in numbers.

When it comes to doing the fuling camps you should try and pick off as many as you can with bows before moving in. It takes longer, but really helps in cutting down their numbers so you avoid getting mobbed by a dozen at a time.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of Fulings, I've been noticing that they seem to be showing up for me in weird random spots (specifically, random coastlines and occasionally in rivers in what should be Black Forest biomes) now that I'm in the "post game" state. Is this a late-game triggered thing, or just something weird where there's underwater bits of "technically Plains" that are causing them to pop up?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They show up occasionally everywhere after you beat boss 5

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Untrustable posted:

When I'm trying to break a Fuling village, I always slowly clear out all visible deathsquitos on my path in, stopping occasionally to do a 360 and look for them. they're always priority number one for me. Clearing a camp, if I pull more than 2 or 3 regular dudes, I run until I break aggro. Draugr fang is a must, and I bring poison or frost arrows for the bigger boys.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Scout around for a stone deposit near the town. Jumping up on it breaks their path finding and they all run away. Good way to get a reset if you get mobbed.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Also bring some ooze bombs. You'll run through them, but they're your best bet for dealing with mobs.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Maera Sior posted:

Also bring some ooze bombs. You'll run through them, but they're your best bet for dealing with mobs.

Yup! You can usually aggro them into a funnel of Fulings and then drop an ooze bomb on them, works really well

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

If you take out a Fuling camp or skeleton tower do they respawn. Do you have to tear down the structures or can i just take it over?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

weekly font posted:

If you take out a Fuling camp or skeleton tower do they respawn. Do you have to tear down the structures or can i just take it over?

They appear to never respawn. I don't have hundreds of hours in the game though, but after tens of hours a village has stayed empty once empty.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I think you still get the random goblin patrols, but the big rear end villages don’t respawn.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Are there any other games out there that scratch the particular itch Valheim does for me? I've tried quite a few, but as good as many of them are, they're each missing something I like, or have something I don't care for.

Examples:

Long Dark, Green Hell, similar: Map largely static. Everything, including the environment itself, drains your meters and wants you dead. Use things you find in the world to keep meters up. Good games. Missing: ability to significantly change environment to work to your advantage.

No Man's Sky: A "survival" game for about 20 minutes when you first start, followed by you being a god. More of an exploration/collect everything game. Good: can change environment around you and build impressive structures. Missing: any threat to keep you on the defensive.

Subnautica: More survival than NMS, but eating/drinking is a maintenance nuisance rather than something that actively helps. Very nice progression and base-building. Overall story structure to keep motivated and gives a reason to progress through technology. Missing: like Long Dark, the ability to change the environment beyond building bases.

There are many others less popular I didn't list here. What I like about Valheim is the freedom to solve problems creatively, the guidance but not push to advance, and all that entails. It drops you off naked and with no food or weapons. You don't have to do anything, but the game encourages you to due to fatigue, cold and wet debuffs, and nighttime elevated threat. You don't have to eat, but considering the advantages who wouldn't? It's in your best interest to build at least a minimal shelter, but as shown by people doing challenge runs, you can certainly not do those things. But you're' rewarded tangibly if you do. And you get real, tangible in-game benefits to making that shelter just a bit better, and you get the pride and ownership of the structures you put down. They're fun to make, and they help in game, in the way you'd organically expect them to. How you build matters, as well as what you build and where. Raids against your settlement encourage you to fortify, or you can just go out and pop everything that moves. You're not constantly under attack, but the game periodically reminds you that you're not welcome, and you're not forgotten either. You feel like you're the boss the game is trying to take down.

The long-term goals of "kill these 5 dudes" keeps you moving. The different biomes offer different threats and ways of playing, have different tools to cope with them, but are also explorable out of order if you want. (Or want to die.) The ability to change the world around you, to "tame the wilderness" so to speak, is something I've very rarely seen. Got a copper deposit across a river? You could swim back each time, or spend extra time to build a bridge, saving you time in the long run while also being safer. Make it wide enough and add some roads, and you can use a cart. Raising water levels in the swamp to make areas easier to traverse - it helps, but you don't have to do it. You can build stairs up a steep mountainside to ease your climb, or just mountain-goat it each time you go there. The open-ended problem-solving aspect is just tremendous. You're not solving any problems the developers throw at you, but problems that are inherent in the world itself, and you decide what constitutes a problem and how you'll go about solving it.

I think people in general respond to anything that respects their automony. People resent being told exactly what to do, but respond to a challenge that encourages them to solve it their way. It also doesn't deluge you with hundreds or thousands of things you can craft just for cool factor - everything has a purpose, you usually feel the need for something before the game even offers it, giving you that feeling of "that's exactly what I need" once you get the recipe. It seems to be unique in that the horizontal progression is the vertical progression. For such a simple game it gets the psychology right, I'd kill to see more games along these lines but in other types of environments/scenarios.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 7, 2021

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I think Valheim has been so hugely successful precisely because it scratches an itch that nothing else quite has, not in the same way at least. I expect many Valheim clones in the future. Some of them might even be good!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

7 days to die is somewhat close, at least early on in their development it was. A couple years ago it was a pretty chill build an invincible base type game, and you were always nervous about going out to explore.

Then the developers went full on dark souls and turned everything into instant death and locked progression to a pretty narrow path. I think that original fun is still there but you're going to have to look in to modding it (and scrolling past hundreds of posts of people arguing about how it's SUPPOSED to be hard).

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Gadzuko posted:

I think Valheim has been so hugely successful precisely because it scratches an itch that nothing else quite has, not in the same way at least. I expect many Valheim clones in the future. Some of them might even be good!

I didn't even mention the community factor. In other survival games the question between players might be "how did you survive in X zone." Here it's "dude hop on my server and check out what I made" and you see some 8th wonder of the world and think "wow, I didn't even think of that, check out how this person set this up." My wife and I play together and our worlds aren't just different seeds, but have completely different structures that evolved based on the poo poo the game was throwing at us at the time. The dangerous places you were scared witless throwing your first shack up after breaking new ground become safe, cozy havens later on down the road as you build them up. The feeling of "Oh poo poo, I hope I can get the roof on before nightfall, we really shouldn't be here" turning into "I own all these acres, woe be to anyone who steps foot too close" is superb. It's like a simplified microcosm of civilization itself, boiled down to one person.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Untrustable posted:

Just use ice arrows with the best bow and pull them one or two at a time. The ice arrows slow them down to the point where they basically cease to be a threat.

Scruffpuff posted:

Are there any other games out there that scratch the particular itch Valheim does for me? I've tried quite a few, but as good as many of them are, they're each missing something I like, or have something I don't care for.

I don't know if it's going to scratch your specific itch, but I think Crashlands was pretty good in a similar vein.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Megazver posted:

I don't know if it's going to scratch your specific itch, but I think Crashlands was pretty good in a similar vein.

Haven't heard of that, I'll check it out - thanks!

Raging Mule
Jan 17, 2007

xzzy posted:

Scout around for a stone deposit near the town. Jumping up on it breaks their path finding and they all run away. Good way to get a reset if you get mobbed.

Definitely this. I'll even setup a small fire and hut on top of some of the larger rocks. Plus it makes a great sniper location if its close enough to the camp.

Careful Fulings can run up some of the rocks if there is a bit of slope.

Raging Mule fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 7, 2021

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
There is one bit older game that does most of the stuff valheim does; unfortunately Its a sidescroller. Some of you mightve Heard of it; Its called Terraria.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Does anyone know if it's possible to parry/melee beserkers with max gear, or is it just not worth the trouble?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I was in a crypt and died to a blob, and now all my poo poo is gone. The blob too. Bleh.

Time to spawn some stuff, I guess.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Zwabu posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to parry/melee beserkers with max gear, or is it just not worth the trouble?

You can parry berserkers easily. It's silly that they're easier in combat than a spear fuling

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Zwabu posted:

My stepson was doing it reliably when he still played but I've never tried it myself.

Yesterday I cleared a burial chamber I happened across while gathering tin and it had 21 cores plus all the other treasure in my inventory:

Today I'm clearing the first swamp in my 3rd world and I found a crypt with 150 iron:

I'm on my 3rd world because we beat Yagluth in our first one and I long ago accidentally cheated and explored the entire map so we started over for the fun of starting over and so I'd have exploration fun again. The 2nd world got shut down because my wife and I fight too much playing together and my stepson quit playing and our other buddy was just off soloing. So now the wife and I are just working on our own solo worlds and I'm loving this seed so far. I used http://valheim-map.world/ generating random seeds until I found one with a maypole location I liked. This seed has two and one of them is right on the coast in a perfect harbor location with easy sailing in any direction and quick access to large sections of the first 4 biomes. And now that I have a base there I've found it has tons of awesome fishing right off my front porch as a very nice bonus. I'm finally inspired to build something beautiful (once I've progressed enough) instead of an ugly but very efficient crafting hall/storage brick.

Lozareth fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 7, 2021

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Lozareth posted:

I used http://valheim-map.world/ generating random seeds until I found one with a maypole location I liked. This seed has two and one of them is right on the coast in a perfect harbor location with easy sailing in any direction and quick access to large sections of the first 4 biomes.

This sounds awesome! What seed? I'm planning a restart in the semi near future and a good start seed would be a big bonus.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
What's the point of a maypole again?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Food Boner posted:

Bonus comfort

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Food Boner posted:

It's an extra comfort item to get just that little extra bit of rested time.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Zaepho posted:

This sounds awesome! What seed? I'm planning a restart in the semi near future and a good start seed would be a big bonus.

http://valheim-map.world/?seed=sTQlpGTIik&offset=-852%2C757&zoom=0.237&view=0&ver=0.147.3

The western maypole is the good spot.

PSA on maypoles if you haven't built near one: they're fragile as gently caress. My wife found out the fun way that you can deconstruct one with your hammer on our 2nd world. I was chopping down trees on my current world and a log rolled into the maypole and instagibbed it. Not wanting to console one in, I had to load the backup save a few minutes back to get it back.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Any word or rumors on when we will be seeing some new content? Desperately want more of this game and it seems like it’s been pretty quiet - I’d expect a unity game to have a pretty quick dev cycle I guess. I’ve seen the hearth and home roadmap item, really hope that ends up being something that drives new progression paths instead of just more food and crafting variants.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

causticBeet posted:

Any word or rumors on when we will be seeing some new content? Desperately want more of this game and it seems like it’s been pretty quiet - I’d expect a unity game to have a pretty quick dev cycle I guess. I’ve seen the hearth and home roadmap item, really hope that ends up being something that drives new progression paths instead of just more food and crafting variants.

Yeah we're like 2 months in and nothing specific yet. At least they aren't over-committing on content but this is kind of the other extreme lol

The devs have been very tight-lipped in general, which is kind of refreshing but definitely fuels rumors that there aren't going to be any major content additions any time soon.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Killing the final boss has had the effect on me that achieving similar "final objectives" in other games has had. It's diminished my desire to play by quite a bit. Exploring my seed, building cool stuff, expanding my wolf eugenics program etc. are all much less compelling goals.

I remember this happening on original release World of Warcraft. The instant my character hit level 60 (the max at that time), my desire to play dropped by like 95 percent. I had no desire to participate in hours long raids for Purple Gear. I had no idea right up until that moment how much XP/level progression was driving gameplay.

Even though most of what my friend and I do in Valheim isn't directly geared towards boss fights, it feels like it's important to have in the background as a goal and perhaps better, for people like me, to leave unfinished.

On the other hand I've been living breathing eating and sleeping this game for a while so maybe it's for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's natural, you explored everything the game had to offer and reached the point where there is nothing left to explore, nothing left to threaten you, nothing left to unlock to overcome new challenges, there is only building and exploring randomly generated terrain in the hopes of something interesting looking, don't be sad it's over, be happy for the journey.