Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

powerful avatar material here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Harrow posted:

powerful avatar material here

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Eh maybe if it was a dog

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

whole page let's go

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

Beat Gnosia

Good game. Probably my only complaint is that your stats start a little bit too low so in the early game you can't really do anything but hope the AI finds the bad guys on their own. Iterative Mafia against predictable AIs who you can learn the behavior of is a really good idea for a game, and it also has good aesthetics on top of that.

What did the meta-narrative end up being like?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Simone Magus posted:

It's my birthday :kiddo:

Happy birthday!

Dear video games please bring back the genesis era lock in technology but somehow with discs, thanks

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

Dear video games please bring back the genesis era lock in technology but somehow with discs, thanks

Dear Shinjobi,

thank you for writing to me with your request. Unfortunately I have no sway with the video game companies and as such I am sad to say I have no power to do this.

Also I have no idea how I would lock two discs together. Unless I made some sort of laser reader with a top and bottom and a special velcro that could connect discs to each other and then you would read either side for an amalgamation of data.

Would this even work? What if I took a kind of shell where game were made of the smaller discss and you plugged them in the centre of expansion discs a bit like how cdtrays had that dent to hold the really small cds.

OK this requires more though, nevertheless, your request is heard and longed for as well!!

Yours sincerely,
Video Games

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

VideoGames posted:

Would this even work? What if I took a kind of shell where game were made of the smaller discss and you plugged them in the centre of expansion discs a bit like how cdtrays had that dent to hold the really small cds.

Were the smaller cds common, i know i saw at least one but i can't remember what it was

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Happy Birthday

Ps. gently caress doing that commute regularly (or at all lol)

It's not a set commute, I just have to drive to clients often and then back, today is a longer than usual drive though

Waiting on eye exam and what's the point of making appointments if I have to wait anyway :mad:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Simone Magus posted:

It's not a set commute, I just have to drive to clients often and then back, today is a longer than usual drive though

Waiting on eye exam and what's the point of making appointments if I have to wait anyway :mad:

Geez i was away to say maybe once a week itd be doable

poo poo i should really get an eye exam too, there's nothing quite like a fresh new pair of specs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Were the smaller cds common, i know i saw at least one but i can't remember what it was

They existed but weren't common. There were also novelty CDs that weren't circular. I always assumed both of those died out because they don't work in slot-loading drives (except the Wii, which has a special mechanism to accept GameCube discs)

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Simone Magus posted:

Do they know it’s your birthday?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

not really. they were mostly used for cd singles and promotional stuff. apart from the regular round ones there was also a rectangular "card" variant that some people used as a high-tech business card that also included a professional portfolio or something. i had a couple of these cd-rom baseball cards that played a highlight reel of the guy (not my pic)

the unusual size and shape meant they were actually more expensive to produce than regular cds so there was basically no advantage to the smaller capacity

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I’m getting toward the pointy end of 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim now, and I know enough things that I think I have a vague understanding of the whole situation. but also it’s vague enough that another revelation could turn the whole thing on its head.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
You just have the game load the data it needs from the first disc into ram and then you swap in the second one did no one play vib ribbon or monster rancher?

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Ah I see you’ve played Banjo Tooie before.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Weedle posted:

not really. they were mostly used for cd singles and promotional stuff. apart from the regular round ones there was also a rectangular "card" variant that some people used as a high-tech business card that also included a professional portfolio or something. i had a couple of these cd-rom baseball cards that played a highlight reel of the guy (not my pic)

the unusual size and shape meant they were actually more expensive to produce than regular cds so there was basically no advantage to the smaller capacity

The Digimon movie VHS in the UK came with one of these and it had a couple of little games and trailers on it. It was sort of a precursor to bonus discs in DVDs and it was the coolest thing ever until you realised the box had a massive hole in it where the disc went.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

VideoGames posted:

Dear Shinjobi,

thank you for writing to me with your request. Unfortunately I have no sway with the video game companies and as such I am sad to say I have no power to do this.

Also I have no idea how I would lock two discs together. Unless I made some sort of laser reader with a top and bottom and a special velcro that could connect discs to each other and then you would read either side for an amalgamation of data.

OK this requires more though, nevertheless, your request is heard and longed for as well!!

Yours sincerely,
Video Games

:sigh:

At least I got you thinkin about it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wait I can play Gamecube games on my Wii? :psyduck:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rarity posted:

if you have the original RVL-001 model with the little flip up door for the controller and memory card ports, yes. the later RVL-101 model and the wii mini (RVL-201) only play wii games

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Simone Magus posted:

Thanks =D

My big birthday plans are as follows:

- get an eye exam
- drive 187 miles for work
- work
- maybe, possibly, video a game

Happy birthday!

Video games sounds like a good idea

Weedle
May 31, 2006

happy birthday simone!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, you need a GC controller (and a memory card if you want to save) but once you have those it's 100% backwards compatible, with the noted exceptions.

The Wii U is not backwards compatible with GC games, something I only discovered after shoving a GC disc in it and spending a good long while poking around with a paper clip and cursing

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

there's even a handful of games compatible with gamecube controllers, like smash and fire emblem

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
happy birthday simone!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
RIP DIP DIP DIDDLE IP DIP IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I just finished Sonic's story in Sonic 2006, playing on a 360 emulator on my pc.

The way this game is broken and bad is very entertaining.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Andrast posted:

360 emulator on my pc

oh poo poo, finally a use for all those 360 discs

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

oh poo poo, finally a use for all those 360 discs

It seems to work really well with Sonic 06 at least. Aside from some minor graphical glitches it has basically been perfect for me.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

“Effortpost about a bad game that you like” bingo square is worth 3x if the game is sonic 2006

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

“Effortpost about a bad game that you like” bingo square is worth 3x if the game is sonic 2006

ngl I'm having a blast with the game so far

(I'm streaming it to a few friends which definitely helps)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

What did the meta-narrative end up being like?

Pretty good. I don't want to spoil too much, but the main goal is to fill out your codex of information about all the other characters. Pretty often you'd have to do weird things to get close to them--like one loop I had to engineer it so that myself and a specific other character were the only survivors. Another time, my goal was to ensure the survival of three specific characters for three straight days. Another time, the character with the highest stats, who usually can drive the conversation according to her whims and turn suspicion back on anyone who suspects her, admitted she was the enemy and dared me to get her voted off. Almost like a boss fight.

The game really nailed the feeling of it being social deduction, despite being single player. Over the hundred-odd loops, I played, I really got a feel for the characters and how they acted. It's a really good feeling when you know them well enough that you can start to suspect them on no basis other than them acting unusual.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

cheetah7071 posted:

It's a really good feeling when you know them well enough that you can start to suspect them on no basis other than them acting unusual.

Basing mafia play on meta is bad (though fine in video game form)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Andrast posted:

It seems to work really well with Sonic 06 at least. Aside from some minor graphical glitches it has basically been perfect for me.

You have a pretty good rig, right?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

You have a pretty good rig, right?

I bought a new PC (sans GPU) with a 5800X literally last week so yeah. That's kind of why I finally gave this a shot since my old CPU was like 10 years old.

lmao at buying a new gpu right now though so I'm still using a 1070

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Andrast posted:

thats awesome to hear, my 360 packed in years ago and i always thought 360 emulation would be a thing someday but never really looked into it

still use the drat controller for all my pc gaming too

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

Pretty good.

Okay now final question

How big a deal is it that I saw your bingo spoiler

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Okay now final question

How big a deal is it that I saw your bingo spoiler

not that big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Quite frankly I'm still not sure if that means she's a witch or a robot. Or a witch robot?