Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i first heard about signal whilst reading the something awful subforum "yospos" on the 6th of april back in 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

i installed signal once and it automatically sent a notification to anyone i knew who had installed signal and uploaded their contact list

i then uninstalled signal

that's my signal experience thanks for listening
that's how whatsapp works too lol

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's really funny when you get a notification that your friend joined signal because it makes you wonder what sketchy poo poo they're up to

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Chris Knight posted:

i sort of expect it from some apps

xtal posted:

It's really funny when you get a notification that your friend joined signal because it makes you wonder what sketchy poo poo they're up to

haha. tbh it bugged me because for something that bills itself as so privacy focused i found that really annoying

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I guess the million users fleeing WhatsApp went to his ego

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Knight posted:

WhatsApp doesn't send a notification for new installs

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
met a real life buttcoiner at a beach bar recently. (no covid in my country!)

went as expected:

- talked inncesantly about 'magic internet money'
- bragged about his 'digital nomad' lifestyle, how he is free to travel and work anywhere
- followed up with how he cannot go back to china because of some 'visa irregularities'
- seemed very interested by economic citizenship, until the whole due dilligance part came up
- creeped on a :females: so much she left the bar
- refered to her as a :females:
- drank to the point of incoherence
- skipped out on his bill
- drove back to his guesthouse drunk

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fins posted:

- skipped out on his bill

obviously he tried to pay the bill in bitcoin but they wouldn't accept it which is their problem

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

mediaphage posted:

i installed signal once and it automatically sent a notification to anyone i knew who had installed signal and uploaded their contact list

i then uninstalled signal

that's my signal experience thanks for listening

gently caress that's why a bunch of people messaged me. a friend wanted to tell me a work related story and asked me to use signal so why not, and immediately I got several messages from people i know like hey man long time! hate that poo poo. but i like my friend so we chat on that instead of anything else

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fart Sandwiches posted:

gently caress that's why a bunch of people messaged me. a friend wanted to tell me a work related story and asked me to use signal so why not, and immediately I got several messages from people i know like hey man long time! hate that poo poo. but i like my friend so we chat on that instead of anything else

yeah a friend messaged me a few minutes later and told me because she knew it would bug me

the fact that it isn't immediately obvious and that you aren't able to opt-out i find skeevy. again, for something that supposedly prides itself on privacy it makes me suspect of the rest of their talking points

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

mediaphage posted:

i sort of expect it from some apps

haha. tbh it bugged me because for something that bills itself as so privacy focused i found that really annoying

p sure the whole point of signal is end to end encryption, and it can't do that unless both ends are using signal. so it makes sense that the user would want to know which recipients are getting encrypted messages.

I hear what you're saying about privacy, but it does make sense if you think about it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

KnifeWrench posted:

p sure the whole point of signal is end to end encryption, and it can't do that unless both ends are using signal. so it makes sense that the user would want to know which recipients are getting encrypted messages.

I hear what you're saying about privacy, but it does make sense if you think about it

no it doesn't, it's just a push from signal to get more people to use it

there are ways of finding out if someone you know is using signal. by, like, asking them, since you clearly already have their contact information. signal doesn't need to push notifications to people who have my phone number for whatever reason to encourage them to start messaging me

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mediaphage posted:

yeah a friend messaged me a few minutes later and told me because she knew it would bug me

the fact that it isn't immediately obvious and that you aren't able to opt-out i find skeevy. again, for something that supposedly prides itself on privacy it makes me suspect of the rest of their talking points

from the secfuck thread's opinion it's the Least Bad encrypted chat thing and genuinely does know what it's doing, it just has some facebooky/whatsappy features bolted on to make it more appealing to non-grognards that are kinda off-putting

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

KnifeWrench posted:

There's an indicator for each of your contacts that shows if they're using signal. If they aren't, you by default get a massive banner taking up 25% of the screen asking to invite them. The push notification you get when one of your friends joins signal is just marketing.

Signal officially jumped the shark now, and it wasn't very good to begin with. It's kind of sad because I know a lot of people who worked on it.

Highly recommend switching to Matrix/Element, it's better than Signal in just about all ways.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, and reminder: This is why decentralization and open source is important. It was obvious Signal was going to sell out because they had been making things more and more closed and centralized.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

xtal posted:

Oh, and reminder: This is why decentralization and open source is important. It was obvious Signal was going to sell out because they had been making things more and more closed and centralized.

so what's your jabber handle

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

So are there any decent alternatives to Signal, or is it still the best option for secure messaging in spite of its issues?

xtal posted:

Highly recommend switching to Matrix/Element, it's better than Signal in just about all ways.
Assuming that this means I should stick with Signal, until a not-dipshit says otherwise

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

weird take

i am not very familiar with matrix (or element, which uses it) but upon doing some googles it seems pretty cool

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Blotto_Otter posted:

So are there any decent alternatives to Signal, or is it still the best option for secure messaging in spite of its issues?

Assuming that this means I should stick with Signal, until a not-dipshit says otherwise

I'm probably the most qualified person here to talk about this, by far, but go off

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

this looks like the Mastodon of Signal

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Telegram.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Immediately notified everyone and is abject trash, I couldn't wait to uninstall it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

xtal posted:

I'm probably the most qualified person here to talk about this, by far, but go off

lmao

yeah don't use telegram if you can help it, they're notorious for doing such fun things as "having rolled their own crypto"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

this looks like the Mastodon of Signal

i think it's specifically trying to be the mastodon of discord, except unlike mastodon the only time i've ever seen a significant group of people using it was when discord went through and banned a bunch of nazis and they needed somewhere else to go

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
looks like Anil Dash is the one to blame
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/04/nfts-werent-supposed-end-like/618488/

quote:

When we invented non-fungible tokens, we were trying to protect artists. But tech-world opportunism has struck again.

The idea behind NFTs was, and is, profound. Technology should be enabling artists to exercise control over their work, to more easily sell it, to more strongly protect against others appropriating it without permission. By devising the technology specifically for artistic use, McCoy and I hoped we might prevent it from becoming yet another method of exploiting creative professionals. But nothing went the way it was supposed to. Our dream of empowering artists hasn’t yet come true, but it has yielded a lot of commercially exploitable hype.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like i get the appeal of wanting decentralized servers for chat n' poo poo, where you can just run your own like a mail server or whatever and they can communicate with each other, but then i remember what a fuckin' disaster of a clusterfuck email is and realize why that's kind of a terrible idea on any sort of large scale

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

By devising the technology specifically for artistic use, McCoy and I hoped we might prevent it from becoming yet another method of exploiting creative professionals. But nothing went the way it was supposed to.

we didn't actually ask artists though, because obviously we know what they'd say. all artists want to extend an idiot's idea of property rights into the internet and make everything e-pog microtransactions. but then something went wrong - somehow bolting bitcoin to the side of these weird exploitative ideas from real world hell capitalism led to weird exploitative hell capitalism but with bitcoin.

who could have possibly seen this coming :geno:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

i think it's specifically trying to be the mastodon of discord, except unlike mastodon the only time i've ever seen a significant group of people using it was when discord went through and banned a bunch of nazis and they needed somewhere else to go

isn't that also mastodon, it seems like the only large communities on there are ones that got kicked out of twitter to some extent

afaik the #1 mastodon instance is gab (twitter for nazis who can't hide their power level) and #2 is pawoo (twitter for pedophiles)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Shame Boy posted:

like i get the appeal of wanting decentralized servers for chat n' poo poo, where you can just run your own like a mail server or whatever and they can communicate with each other, but then i remember what a fuckin' disaster of a clusterfuck email is and realize why that's kind of a terrible idea on any sort of large scale

I occasionally fantasize about a "sneakernet" mobile chat app that uses in-person public key exchange via QR code scanning from the screen rather than a CA system and direct TCP/IP connections between devices for actual communication

the latter part has some issues obviously, especially w.r.t. NAT.

but the whole Mastodon thing really exposed the lie of libertarian decentralization fantasy:
1) you have to set it up yourself, requiring both technical skill and hosting fees
2) you have to operate it yourself, requiring detailed and correct security configuration
3) you have to scrape the Nazis off yourself - managing the federation system against an attacker determined to harass your users isn't an unsolvable problem, but it is a constant battle

repiv posted:

isn't that also mastodon, it seems like the only large communities on there are ones that got kicked out of twitter to some extent

afaik the #1 mastodon instance is gab (twitter for nazis who can't hide their power level) and #2 is pawoo (twitter for pedophiles)

a lot of cool queer/furry people went to Mastodon to escape Twitter's hellpitness

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

so what's your jabber handle

E-Mail is fully decentralized, too bad none of the popular messengers are.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

a lot of cool queer/furry people went to Mastodon to escape Twitter's hellpitness

yeah initially it was "twitter for queer people" because the bigger servers had more effective moderation than twitter's "absolutely no moderation" but now I assume it filled up with nazis like everything else

i know all the queer people i saw move to it came right the gently caress back to twitter within a year so :shrug:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Everybody I know on Mastodon is queer. There are definitely Nazi instances but they're banned everywhere. Actually for some reason there's a whole TERF instance too. But the moderation does work extremely well. The problem with Mastodon is too little posts, not too many.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

I occasionally fantasize about a "sneakernet" mobile chat app that uses in-person public key exchange via QR code scanning from the screen rather than a CA system and direct TCP/IP connections between devices for actual communication

i am sure someone's already made this, and knowing nothing about it i can confidently say that it is made of GPG and a big pile of python scripts, and it doesn't actually ever work

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Shame Boy posted:

i am sure someone's already made this, and knowing nothing about it i can confidently say that it is made of GPG and a big pile of python scripts, and it doesn't actually ever work

but enough about the things i make

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The idea that NFTs were an honest attempt to help out artists and not pure crypto grift is genuinely the funniest part of all this.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Anil strikes me as hopelessly naive at best

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

xtal posted:

Everybody I know on Mastodon is queer. There are definitely Nazi instances but they're banned everywhere. Actually for some reason there's a whole TERF instance too. But the moderation does work extremely well. The problem with Mastodon is too little posts, not too many.

Yeah, the promise of mastodon is that you only have to be part of the communities you want to, and it works pretty well for that. I like it a lot and wish it was more popular.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The whole FEI thing is extremely funny. They attempted to recreate a central bank with an algorithm, but seem to have entirely failed to do so and have come up with some monstrosity which doesn't work at all.

The working version goes like this: a central party says "we will sell you a token for $1.01 and buy one from you at $0.99. since our tokens are fully backed by dollars (via the previous mechanism), you can be confident in our ability to buy tokens from you, and thus in the value of our tokens". This will expand and contract the supply of tokens with demand, and works fine (during the gold standard, it even worked for a long time without full backing). If no one wants the tokens they will all go out of circulation, and there's little chance for speculation etc

Instead, I think to avoid the central authority but they might still have one?, there's some weird algorithmic overlay which adds a penalty to trades. As soon as this penalty becomes significant, you're highly incentivised to either not do your trade or to do it off market, making it terrible as an actual medium of exchange.

Also googling it there seems to be some sort of bug but idk what that's about

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It's the HODL/short sellers are evil philosophy taken to extremes, and results in the inevitable realisation that what's gives abstract financial instruments value is the ability to sell them for something else in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

pointsofdata posted:

The whole FEI thing is extremely funny. They attempted to recreate a central bank with an algorithm, but seem to have entirely failed to do so and have come up with some monstrosity which doesn't work at all.

The working version goes like this: a central party says "we will sell you a token for $1.01 and buy one from you at $0.99. since our tokens are fully backed by dollars (via the previous mechanism), you can be confident in our ability to buy tokens from you, and thus in the value of our tokens". This will expand and contract the supply of tokens with demand, and works fine (during the gold standard, it even worked for a long time without full backing). If no one wants the tokens they will all go out of circulation, and there's little chance for speculation etc

Instead, I think to avoid the central authority but they might still have one?, there's some weird algorithmic overlay which adds a penalty to trades. As soon as this penalty becomes significant, you're highly incentivised to either not do your trade or to do it off market, making it terrible as an actual medium of exchange.

Also googling it there seems to be some sort of bug but idk what that's about

Am I correct in understanding that FEI is supposed to be a stablecoin that targets a value of $1 USD purely by managing supply rather than being backed by any USD holdings? Is the whitepaper and the website intentionally obfuscating exactly what entity is responsible for buying and burning FEI tokens when the value is < $1, or have they just not thought that far ahead yet?