Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Oh no! Conservatism? In Korea??!

edit: awful snipe, have some happy people.

Dante80 has issued a correction as of 18:03 on Apr 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
that blog looked like it had a chip on its shoulder about feminism and was saying that the south isn't hostile enough to NK which seems off, so i was wondering if anyone who knows anything about SK here knows whats up

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-06/moon-facing-tough-election-fight-in-south-korea-s-biggest-cities

quote:

Exit polling released after the close of voting Wednesday showed conservative Oh Se-hoon, on pace to win in the race in Seoul over ruling party candidate Park Young-sun, a former minister for startups. He led an exit poll with 59% to Park’s 38%, national broadcaster KBS said. In Busan, Park Hyung-jun of the conservative People Power Party was also well ahead of Kim Young-choon from Moon’s ruling party, KBS said the poll showed.

Final results were not expected until early Thursday but a key issue in the race was anger over housing prices in big cities that have soared under Moon.

[...]

Moon pledged to make housing more affordable when he was elected in 2017, but apartment prices in Seoul have doubled in the last five years, while South Korean salaries have risen less than 20%, leaving housing in the capital out of reach for many people and some of it in the hands of a speculative few.

Moon has enacted dozens of measures to curb gains, only to see some of them backfire and prices in Seoul surge further during his term. Meanwhile, households owed more money than ever before as they race to purchase homes before prices go even higher. Their debt has now reached about 176% of disposable income.

same old loving story loving everywhere

somehow i doubt these guys are going to be the ones to deliver affordable housing though

quote:

Oh resigned as Seoul mayor in 2011 having lost a fight to curb free student lunches in the capital to reduce public spending, stoking criticism of being tight-fisted. A return to power could signal public sentiment has soured toward Moon’s economic policies that prioritize wealth redistribution and fiscal aid.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

wow liberals cucked by the US and capital don't do anything about wealth inequality getting replaced by conservatives who don't do anything about wealth inequality but successfully portray the liberals as being distributionists?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

iirc, a few years back the liberals won a commanding majority in elections by promising a range of progressive policies. once in power though, the liberals began to sprint to the right as best they could as a way of courting the conservatives.

it is the same stock story of liberal governments

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
didnt the previous korean government have some crazy gladio level things going on, like the president was part of some child murdering cult or some poo poo like that

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

did the media ever try to land a "Hu's on first?" joke

"No, Xi is"
"Who's She"
"No, Hu's Hu"

etc

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

“Kim” means “who” in Turkish and that has led to some good headlines

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The insane man at work who once told me all Muslims must be force converted to Christianity or executed has informed me that America must invade China to stop the genocide of the uighurs.

Edit: we were talking about Taiwan and whether what is going on is Saber rattling or something else.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The SK president term is 5 years, and not renewable. From what I understand the presidency has been swinging between left and right for many terms. And the out-going SK president has been either killed by coup, or sent to jail by the next president for corruption charges, or killed himself due to a scandal. Really its the most dangerous political job in the world, more so than the Brazilian presidency.

It's a miracle that Moon has not gotten himself in a serious scandal, only his friend got brought down by scandal after he appointed him the Minister of Justice. Anyway, Moon did pretty well during the pamdanic by I was told he doesn't understand economy. The real estate price hike since the Covid is real so the right likely will win the next presidency. So SK probably will lean toward Japan/US more in the next 5 years.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

The insane man at work who once told me all Muslims must be force converted to Christianity or executed has informed me that America must invade China to stop the genocide of the uighurs.

Edit: we were talking about Taiwan and whether what is going on is Saber rattling or something else.

Adrian Zenz is your coworker?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

bedpan posted:

iirc, a few years back the liberals won a commanding majority in elections by promising a range of progressive policies. once in power though, the liberals began to sprint to the right as best they could as a way of courting the conservatives.

it is the same stock story of liberal governments

root cause of all problems are corporations and the super rich

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Atrocious Joe posted:

lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Atrocious Joe posted:

Unfortunately no. Just another insane white evangelical white supremacist.

Edit: since the inauguration he has been getting crazier because the guy with the swastika tattoo sent him Qanon and militia videos to watch. It has been pretty fun to watch. His new greatest fear is china commies will cross the southern border and invade Texas and that all migrants from the south are sleeper agents.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 19:09 on Apr 7, 2021

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

the funniest thing to me is that to anyone outside abrahamic faith Islam is just Christianity:The Director's Cut

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Your coworker is the guy Phil Ochs made fun of 50 years ago

quote:

I can see them coming
They're training in the mountains
And they talk Chinese
And they spread disease
They want to get me
They want to hurt me
They want bring me down

But sometime later when I feel a little safer
We'll assasinate the president
And take over the government
And then we're going to fry them
Pretty smart on my part
Find my way home in the dark

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

Unfortunately no. Just another insane white evangelical white supremacist.

Edit: since the inauguration he has been getting crazier because the guy with the swastika tattoo sent him Qanon and militia videos to watch. It has been pretty fun to watch. His new greatest fear is china commies will cross the southern border and invade Texas and that all migrants from the south are sleeper agents.

you should kill him

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Mr Hootington posted:

His new greatest fear is china commies will cross the southern border and invade Texas and that all migrants from the south are sleeper agents.

this would Rule

THS
Sep 15, 2017

paul_soccer12 posted:

you should kill him

definitely parody do this

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
take that bastard to Tomato Town

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

fart simpson posted:

reading the d&d china thread is driving me insane

it's extremely racist, and not (just) in the sense of dismissing the chances of the antlike chinese to ever break free of their government brainwashing, but in the broader sense of just automatically assuming that race and racial conflict are the driving force of history, such that of course china's aim is to enslave or destroy all minorities in the course of constructing a seamless ethnostate, isn't that what all governments naturally want?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ferrinus posted:

it's extremely racist, and not (just) in the sense of dismissing the chances of the antlike chinese to ever break free of their government brainwashing, but in the broader sense of just automatically assuming that race and racial conflict are the driving force of history, such that of course china's aim is to enslave or destroy all minorities in the course of constructing a seamless ethnostate, isn't that what all governments naturally want?

yea if it was normal western 'the under-developed chinese brain simply doesn't understand freedom, that's why Xi is actually extremely popular' poo poo that'd be one thing but the prevailing thought in D&D truly is some grim, fascist, mindset where the natural state of all governments is ethnic cleansing

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ferrinus posted:

its bad if anyone except israel does it

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

paul_soccer12 posted:

its bad if anyone except israel does it

not that israel does it, hah hah! although to be clear were they ever to do so they would frown sternly at the grim necessity and perhaps manfully shed a single tear, unlike the chinese who even now gleefully dispatch their agents to seduce and pollute the bloodlines of one million ethnic grandmas

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Mantis42 posted:

Your coworker is the guy Phil Ochs made fun of 50 years ago

RIP phil too good for this world

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also Merkel's CDU (who has been in a tussle with the US over Nordstream 2) has been hammered in the polls recently as well after very high ratings across the pandemic.

Anyway, the core over what is occurring in Xinjiang is specifically if China wants to rid the Uyghur identity entirety or force that identity to partially assimilate it into a "Chinese melting pot" or a "hyphenated identity." Although, in that case, I think China will still likely use the contours of Soviet nationalities politics to some extent.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I was listening to something the other day that mentioned a pbs documentary on the Chinese anti-poverty program that got yanked. anyone know what that was referring to? I didn’t catch the name

THS
Sep 15, 2017

lol that documentary got pulled?? what

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

the usual people started screaming about their tax dollars being used to produce and promote communist propaganda and pbs and the local station yanked it

you can still see it on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuaJGPZCBYU

Oneiros has issued a correction as of 21:38 on Apr 7, 2021

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Centrist Committee posted:

I was listening to something the other day that mentioned a pbs documentary on the Chinese anti-poverty program that got yanked. anyone know what that was referring to? I didn’t catch the name

CGTN apparently has the rights to it as well and put it on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/nuaJGPZCBYU

It's quite good, even has an interview with a family who aren't that happy with being moved into an apartment block away from their farm, but that still gets ironed over by the dry narration.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
hell yeah queuing that up

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Anyway, the core over what is occurring in Xinjiang is specifically if China wants to rid the Uyghur identity entirety

This is such a bad reading, although western media is saying 'maybe this is happening who knows' I don't think the evidence, however tortured your reading of it, could lead you to this understanding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meshrep

Is the central government trying to rid it so hard they had it protected by UNESCO in 2010 despite this exact cultural practice leading to anti-government protests? granted the current Uighur conflict starts in 2017

It's obvious that the government is reacting to terrorism and secessionist sentiment with more mandarin education, more economic / cultural integration efforts (with forced patriotism), and collective punishment in the form of the education internment camps. The terrorism began because Xinjiang is less integrated into the rest of China culturally and geographically, and that was changing causing unrest. I'm not sure how much was dictated by the central government but you see things like the destruction of religious sites and a redirection away from a more arab-influence toward a more chinese influence at the heart of it, from what I've read. The cause and effect are very clear. I don't see any intent or execution of a genocide, and there is 0 racial hatred from the rest of China to Xinjiang. No one gives a poo poo if you're muslim or turkic because those are pretty normal things to see in China, which seems to be a part of the western narrative (China is genociding muslims in xinjiang). Almost all of the genocide evidence is stuff that applies to everyone in china, forced sterilization, limited number of offspring, fear of retaliation for political acts, having to learn mandarin in school. That's just China.

Why is there a need to blow up internment camps for vocational and patriotic education into genocide idk, but it's good propaganda because once you wrongfully say that china is wiping the Uighurs out anyone who tries to correct it looks like a genocide apologist nutcase. The way the government is handling things in Xinjiang is wrong but calling it genocide when you know it's not serves to help the people in Washington DC, not the people in Xinjiang.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
actually i think youll find that they are executing anybody who wont recite the state-sponsored atheist shahada, also doing cassie bernall columbine poo poo to christians

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think as a base concept mandatory education centers is a clumsy way to handle these issues but it's just absurd to make the leap to 'they're clearly trying to stamp out Uyghur identity entirely'. China has repeatedly on the global stage defended the rights of Uyghurs to have their cultural practices and all, their education stuff has a nationalist bend (no poo poo, China is nationalist, stop the loving presses) but mosques remain standing, state sponsorship for pilgrimages remain, and as pointed out China has actually applied for UNESCO protection for multiple Uyghur specific things so you can't even find any ground to stand on for 'well okay they're not anti MUSLIM on the whole but they clearly are anti UYGHUR'

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Antonymous posted:

It's obvious that the government is reacting to terrorism and secessionist sentiment with more mandarin education, more economic / cultural integration efforts (with forced patriotism), and collective punishment in the form of the education internment camps. The terrorism began because Xinjiang is less integrated into the rest of China culturally and geographically, and that was changing causing unrest.

i believe at least some of this is being supported at different levels (openly diplomatic to clandestine material support) by, at the very least, turkey, and the US state department, looking for another "moderate rebels to support" angle. it could be useful to examine what has happened in these countries and their relations to china over the psat few years.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Antonymous posted:

This is such a bad reading, although western media is saying 'maybe this is happening who knows' I don't think the evidence, however tortured your reading of it, could lead you to this understanding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meshrep

Is the central government trying to rid it so hard they had it protected by UNESCO in 2010 despite this exact cultural practice leading to anti-government protests? granted the current Uighur conflict starts in 2017

It's obvious that the government is reacting to terrorism and secessionist sentiment with more mandarin education, more economic / cultural integration efforts (with forced patriotism), and collective punishment in the form of the education internment camps. The terrorism began because Xinjiang is less integrated into the rest of China culturally and geographically, and that was changing causing unrest. I'm not sure how much was dictated by the central government but you see things like the destruction of religious sites and a redirection away from a more arab-influence toward a more chinese influence at the heart of it, from what I've read. The cause and effect are very clear. I don't see any intent or execution of a genocide, and there is 0 racial hatred from the rest of China to Xinjiang. No one gives a poo poo if you're muslim or turkic because those are pretty normal things to see in China, which seems to be a part of the western narrative (China is genociding muslims in xinjiang). Almost all of the genocide evidence is stuff that applies to everyone in china, forced sterilization, limited number of offspring, fear of retaliation for political acts, having to learn mandarin in school. That's just China.

Why is there a need to blow up internment camps for vocational and patriotic education into genocide idk, but it's good propaganda because once you wrongfully say that china is wiping the Uighurs out anyone who tries to correct it looks like a genocide apologist nutcase. The way the government is handling things in Xinjiang is wrong but calling it genocide when you know it's not serves to help the people in Washington DC, not the people in Xinjiang.

Btw you completely mangled my post to make your point, when I was saying the question is “if” , that’s it.

Btw in the future, don’t literally cut a sentence in two.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:32 on Apr 7, 2021

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Antonymous posted:

Why is there a need to blow up internment camps for vocational and patriotic education into genocide idk

because the united states has a interest in presenting any sort of direct government intervention intended to uplift and benefit common people as undisputedly evil (putting aside the heavy-handed and clumsy methods the chinese government is using for the moment) and the narrative serves to weaken a competing state and give their own people an acceptable target on which to focus their hate

the united states can barely figure out how to get covid vaccines to the right people. the idea that the government might be proactive in addressing societal ills is anathema to a lot of americans

<e> that documentary on china's poverty alleviation program would terrify a lot of americans if they ever actually watched it. watching it i still get moments of internal screaming "this is wrong!" thanks to years of public school education beating how evil and dangerous any sort of government planning is into my young brain

Oneiros has issued a correction as of 22:30 on Apr 7, 2021

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
gunna just plop this here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_Juma_Tayir

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yea people really do underplay how rough Uyghur extremism can be within its own community. Like, obviously like all groups most of them are just normal rear end people who don't deserve collective punishment but it's really weird how we don't talk about how the whole inciting chain of events to all this was a campaign of extremely violent assaults and murders done by Uyghur separatists, often against other Muslims more than against Han Chinese people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also, uh, don't ask what Turkish Uyghurs did during the Syrian civil war