Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

hbag posted:

quick question because i dont feel like getting off my rear end to take the wifi dongle out of my pi
since its connected to both ethernet and wifi, will it just use whichever is fastest (ethernet obviously) or is it gonna try and use both like a dumbass

what book does this scenario take place in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mediaphage posted:

what book does this scenario take place in

probably neuromancer if you abstract it enough

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

(i actually clicked the wrong thread by mistake and do not want to own up to said mistake)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

PCjr sidecar posted:

but ignoring all that I don’t know why you’re precluding adoption in a Superman story.

because it said "grandfather" not "adoptive grandfather"

much of the Jewish immigrant stuff that's been laid on Superman by critics over the years is projection that began with guys like Eisner and was pretty expressly denied by the creators. they wrote him to be a super American white dude. like obviously their Jewish upbringing and parents' experiences informed their work but they weren't trying to tell a Jewish story

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

hbag posted:

(i actually clicked the wrong thread by mistake and do not want to own up to said mistake)

Is this an epic bruh moment?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
the only adaption of the lord of rings i wanna see is a dumb broad with a big veiny rack!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

hbag posted:

quick question because i dont feel like getting off my rear end to take the wifi dongle out of my pi
since its connected to both ethernet and wifi, will it just use whichever is fastest (ethernet obviously) or is it gonna try and use both like a dumbass

find out how to list the route tables it currently has. there will be a Metric number. lowest one is preferred

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

bump_fn posted:

the only adaption of the lord of rings i wanna see is a dumb broad with a big veiny rack!

elves gotta take their lembas, i ain't wearin' no gunny sack

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

does this count as. a save? no righT?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

and your stance on the pipeweed industry?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

indigi posted:

because it said "grandfather" not "adoptive grandfather"

much of the Jewish immigrant stuff that's been laid on Superman by critics over the years is projection that began with guys like Eisner and was pretty expressly denied by the creators. they wrote him to be a super American white dude. like obviously their Jewish upbringing and parents' experiences informed their work but they weren't trying to tell a Jewish story

ah yes “adoptive pa kent”

do you also get really mad about color blind casting in general

maybe if it were a superman in midcentury america story (even then there are really interesting stories to tell about white passing? what does a one drop policy mean as an alien?) but its a supermans grandfather on krtpton story and its not like there’s only one continuity anyway

the creatives wanted to tell the story with that actor but an exec vetoing because superman gotta be pure aryan white because and blaming the fanboys is the critical lack of imagination and cowardice that is the real signature of the entire dc film experience

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
actually superman's great great grandmother was a kryptonian princess, it just skips a generation or two

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

indigi posted:

as much as I dislike Geoff Johns' writing and believe he's a racist I think he's got kind of a point here. a lot of the what makes Clark Kent/Superman is steeped in whiteness, same with Steve Rogers or Bruce Wayne. their stories are the stories of specifically white men in America. I don't think it's the same for most other characters but in those three instances it'd be a mistake to be like "actually Superman is secretly mixed race." there's plenty of other roles you can cast for diversity but I think it'd be weird to have Clark Kent pull an Elizabeth Warren
wrong. this is exactly why superman needs to be black to prove the white well-to-do liberal hegemonic dream is actually color-blind and bopocs can also partake.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
also superman is loving garbage and who even watches those horrible movies

man of steel was so bad

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

was going to say, attempting to be true to the source material is an obvious mistake for making a superman film. or comic for that matter.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

actually superman's great great grandmother was a kryptonian princess, it just skips a generation or two

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Yeah, the problem there is people are basically no longer able to picture what a positive future or an earnestly good human being looks like, leading to a chronic shortage of non-cynical, non-ironic takes on Superman, ironically at exactly the time when a positive, uplifting example would be kind of useful.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Xaris posted:

man of steel was so bad

Man of Steel ruled, it was the apotheosis of a liberal messiah myth and Henry Cavill is handsome

PCjr sidecar posted:

ah yes “adoptive pa kent”

do you also get really mad about color blind casting in general

"color blind casting" is industry code for "we are going to hire a white person" so yeah I get mad about that

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
about that asian character in your anime, what if we mix things up a bit for the live action

for broader appeal

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the whole point of superman is that he is a genuinely good dude, has the power of a god and uses it to go around helping people and setting a good example

people have been doing "what if superman, but he is a power hungry jerk that everyone fears and hates" takes on the character for decades and they always suck

so naturally when scott snyder was given a chance to tell his superman story he grabbed onto that particular interpretation with both hands

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

bump_fn posted:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
What's it like to...
what's it like to look into a palantír, Saruman?

it's kind of like
it's kind of like playin' a basketball game
Sauron is there
and the other person is there
and it's just the two of them
and he puts the other player's body in his van
and he is The Wi nner

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

indigi posted:

Man of Steel ruled, it was the apotheosis of a liberal messiah myth and Henry Cavill is handsome

"color blind casting" is industry code for "we are going to hire a white person" so yeah I get mad about that

u were one of those people super mad about idris elba as heimdall right?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/NoConViolence/status/1379651338146082820

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

PCjr sidecar posted:

u were one of those people super mad about idris elba as heimdall right?

I hope you did your stretches first

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

New dune looking great

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I'm not sure why exactly - it has an impending cyberpunk dystopia vibe - but this seems relevant to this thread

https://twitter.com/beesmygod_/status/1379940286927937540

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fascinated to know what happens when you move those sliders

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

shoeberto posted:

New dune looking great
It does but I'll still always have a place in my heart for the classic version

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

fascinated to know what happens when you move those sliders

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732?s=21

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

indigi posted:

I'm not sure why exactly - it has an impending cyberpunk dystopia vibe - but this seems relevant to this thread

Shipon posted:

Computer, disable the holodeck safety limiters

mystes
May 31, 2006

indigi posted:

They should have named it Intel Gamer Word. Or maybe they did and we just don't know because it's replacing it with "Beep"?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

At Intel, we believe your life and career shouldn't be ruined just because you had a Gamer Moment.

Now let's get our friend, Kyle Larson, out here on stage for the live demo! [crowd cheers]

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

We've had a crack team of speech recognition experts working tirelessly to ensure our algorithm can capture all unsavory words and phrases with 100% accuracy. We even enlisted experts from a variety of fields to help us tune and tweak the models - like our next special guest, Quentin Tarantino!!! [standing ovation, whistling, crowd loses their mind]

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

is the idea that a recording of you saying something racist/sexist/homophobic (probably with a full view of your lips as you say it) with a "beep" over the offensive word won't be as damaging to your reputation or career? I really don't see any way this helps anyone anywhere with anything

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

indigi posted:

https://twitter.com/Strange_Sunset/status/1379954282703638532?s=20

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

indigi posted:

is the idea that a recording of you saying something racist/sexist/homophobic (probably with a full view of your lips as you say it) with a "beep" over the offensive word won't be as damaging to your reputation or career? I really don't see any way this helps anyone anywhere with anything

it keeps your streams from being demonetized

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

infernal machines posted:

it keeps your streams from being demonetized

do we really think twitch will just be cool with a bunch of beeps as a gamer obviously screams "oval office" over and over again at some woman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it’s for inbound communications from other players so it’ll filter out some other player screaming gamer words

some people do stream snipe just to try and get bad words on the air just like prank callers and radio