Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Well obviously you should be able to walk around in the ships and the stations and on the planets. Make them a nice big open world, like billions of Noctis Daggerfalls. And you should be able to have a whole crew on your ship like Battlecruiser 3000AD, and lead away missions into enemy complexes like System Shock, and trade, and mine asteroids, and build your own colonies. There should be mechs, too, customisable ones, so you can have armies. But if you don't want to do that you can just settle down on a medieval planet and become an adventurer with a sword and a shotgun and a pet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I'm sure the doom engine can handle it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I would like dark forces 2 and it doesn't have sewer levels this time

... Or levels that strip away your weapons and have you fight 3 kyrat dragons with your fist

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I never played Jedi Knight, did it have sewer levels?

I'd sign up for all the Marathon sequels, but I also want that Pathways Into Darkness mod for Doom 3 expanded to cover the whole campaign at the standard set by Black Mesa

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I just found out about a Wolfenstein-era FPS I'd never heard of while looking for Cybermage screenshots: In-Extremis. It looks like an attempt at an unlicensed Aliens game.

https://www.giantbomb.com/in-extremis/3030-16606/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I could also go for more Wolfenstein with, like, current doom modding scene standards for level design

Basically I need more 2.5d games where the objective is to kill fascists

site fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 7, 2021

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

site posted:

I could also go for more Wolfenstein with, like, current doom modding scene standards for level design

In that vein I've really enjoyed some of the remakes at Mike's Toybox. The Nerves of Steel remake in particular would be a good standard for a modernized Wolfenstein, to me.

https://mikestoybox.net/2017/01/04/nerves-of-steel/

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'd definitely enjoy a retro style but modern Heretic.

Amid Evil was kinda there but kinda not.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Surprise! The new update for Halo: Master Chief Collection adds support for old Halo Custom Edition maps. That's right, two decades of Halo 1 mods, now supported. That's... kind of big.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Anyway, what's your dream retro FPS. Become the Idea Guy for just one moment. Channel your best "wouldn't it be cool if" energy.

I've spent years tinkering with a lengthy design document for a single player retro FPS / arcade checkpoint racer / shmup / platformer - like Devil Daggers meets Trackmania with Tribes-ish controls. I feel like it's mechanically too bizarre to pitch around, so I just keep going back over it shifting variables and editing verbiages and adding more amateurish illustrations and unnecessary fluff :cheeky:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
My idea would be a Hexen-style game but more overtly set in a medieval postapocalyptic world, with all the visual tropes of Mad Max-style wastelands applied to classic fantasy environments. Though I suppose in practice that would just end up as 2.5d Dark Souls.

site posted:

A continuation of the WolfenDoom series but with actually good level design and combat would probably have a lot of potential (Blade of Agony is very cool, but it's very much its own thing).

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Anyway, what's your dream retro FPS. Become the Idea Guy for just one moment. Channel your best "wouldn't it be cool if" energy.

Build engine Lethal Weapon Quadrology.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

There's Coffee Break but unfortunately I can't say if it's consistently good because I got hopelessly lost in the 3rd or 4th level of the 2nd Episode.

Wolf3D's lack of an automap sometimes becomes an actual problem

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 7, 2021

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Was this mentioned? Quoted from the fresh releases thread:

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

A game like Shogo: Mobile Armour Division but not as jank. So lots of guns to shoot on foot and mech sections that are just FPS sections but you're big, with a sense of weight, and the people are small.

Basically a DUSK/Amid Evil take on Titanfall.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Bob Smith posted:

A game like Shogo: Mobile Armour Division but not as jank. So lots of guns to shoot on foot and mech sections that are just FPS sections but you're big, with a sense of weight, and the people are small.

So the mech is made of meat and dark magic?

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I was more thinking the "the movement and platforming is like that" but now you mention it a bio-mechanical / body horror kind of thing like R-Type or Guyver would actually rule.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Dusk but you play as the dog with an upgradeable cart.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Definitely a new Blood-type game. Weird West, a mix of crunchy revolver, lever action, and shotgun-type weapons and occult, experimental, and improvised items. Cults and demons and monsters, that sort of thing.

On that note, I’ve found the relatively recent “Hunt: Showdown” so enthralling although its PVP online model isn’t my thing. I just love the muddy bayous and late 1800’s thing (with some anachronistic qualities I think) that it has going on.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Definitely a new Blood-type game. Weird West, a mix of crunchy revolver, lever action, and shotgun-type weapons and occult, experimental, and improvised items. Cults and demons and monsters, that sort of thing.

On that note, I’ve found the relatively recent “Hunt: Showdown” so enthralling although its PVP online model isn’t my thing. I just love the muddy bayous and late 1800’s thing (with some anachronistic qualities I think) that it has going on.

This'd be mine.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hard agree. There's Evil West, I hope that turns out ok.

Also, Blake Stone immersive sim with a 50's sci-fi aesthetic. Will also accept groovy 60's sci-fi and 40's Raygun Gothic.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Someone should make another Call of Juarez game that's like the most recent one but add monsters to it, done.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Bob Smith posted:

So like F.E.A.R. 2's mech sections if you had a bit more maneuverability? Because I would absolutely sign up for that.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

RichterIX posted:

Someone should make another Call of Juarez game that's like the most recent one but add monsters to it, done.

Call of Juarez Gunslinger 2: We're Also Blood Now would be a day one buy from me

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/romero/status/1379758614890569728

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The "John Romero is about to make you his bitch" ad, but with the latter part crossed out and replaced with "about to wish you well."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RichterIX posted:

Just recycle Hunt Showdown assets and make a story mode.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

Just recycle Hunt Showdown assets and make a story mode.

Considering all the lore stuff that game has going on in the background that would be pretty doable in theory.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Groovelord Neato posted:

This'd be mine.

Yea I'd play this too. There was a neat game on the original Xbox called Darkwatch that was doing this, I still have a copy.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It's gotta be a bit lol.

We desperately need some Mecha themed retro FPS games that aren't Shogo so yeah that would be my top pick

Bob Smith posted:

A man of taste I see

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This would also be good

Also I really wish Hunt: Showdown had a PvE only mode, having to do PvP all the time very quickly sapped out my interest in playing

catlord posted:

Also, Blake Stone immersive sim with a 50's sci-fi aesthetic. Will also accept groovy 60's sci-fi and 40's Raygun Gothic.

Also a good choice

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
A new Half-life(ish) campaign but entirely built around coop a la Sven. Full length, not just a lovely add-on, environmental puzzles etc etc.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I would love a dark retro sci-fi FPS. Keep all the blasters and rayguns, but let me shoot creepy mutants with them, with some rythmic, modular music a'la John Carpenters movie soundtracks. A small dash of sillyness, some neat interactivity... I basically want Blake Stone 3. That game expanded the Wolf3D really well.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

catlord posted:

site posted:

laserghost posted:

I would love a dark retro sci-fi FPS. Keep all the blasters and rayguns, but let me shoot creepy mutants with them, with some rythmic, modular music a'la John Carpenters movie soundtracks. A small dash of sillyness, some neat interactivity... I basically want Blake Stone 3. That game expanded the Wolf3D really well.

Well folks, I have to ask you something: Why not ALL THE THINGS at the same time? We merely need to make this 1952 comic...in video game form.

I'd also like to direct your attention to the character in the righthand corner, who is CLEARLY BJ Blazkowicz.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Since someone already took SHOGO (Keep the anime plot. Crank it all the loving way up. Give me some Xenogears poo poo), I'm going to say I want a new Turok. Specifically, I want a new Turok that makes good on the promise of the Lost Land as the "interdimensional sewer of the universe", the crossroads of every point in time and space. I want to see someone go absolutely hog-wild with concepts for levels, enemies, weapons. A game so overflowing with ideas it cannot be made on a human budget.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

The Kins posted:

Surprise! The new update for Halo: Master Chief Collection adds support for old Halo Custom Edition maps. That's right, two decades of Halo 1 mods, now supported. That's... kind of big.

I really hope Halo: Cursed Edition can get ported over. Playing the single-player reminds me of playing Chaos Q2 in high school and I would love to play with my friends.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Well folks, I have to ask you something: Why not ALL THE THINGS at the same time? We merely need to make this 1952 comic...in video game form.

Was Elon musk even alive in 1952?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm still salty the devs announced a PvE only mode and it turned out to be this dumb rear end trials thing instead of, y'know, just a PvE mode. I see no reason why there couldn't have just been a single player mode where the other hunters are AI controlled and you can play by yourself. :colbert:

Also "Hunt: Showdown" is such a colossal downgrade from the original name, "The Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age"

Also also gameplay trailer for Turbo Overkill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=varoEJiaxjo Haven't heard of this until now.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 8, 2021

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It's gotta be a bit lol.

Not exactly Retro, but I'd like an old tactical game with a campaign like original R6/Ghost Recon/SWAT. Bonus points for a good VR experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The OG Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear blow all the newer games out of the water. Used to play Rogue Spear on Mplayer all the time after school with a classmate.