Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is that one text someone from the Texans saying that “yeah that’s hosed up that Watson did that I’m so sorry, yeah sometimes these guys just go too far, but reassure her that it’s not her fault.”

Am I reading that right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is that one text someone from the Texans saying that “yeah that’s hosed up that Watson did that I’m so sorry, yeah sometimes these guys just go too far, but reassure her that it’s not her fault.”

Am I reading that right?

Yep :stare:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Not sure if that qualifies as a smoking gun but that’s pretty bad.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not sure if that qualifies as a smoking gun but that’s pretty bad.

It depends on whether it's actually from a Texans staffer (the names were removed, so we don't know), and what incident it was about. If it's one of the ones where Watson asked for an oil check but nothing else, the fallout probably will be minimal. If it's about one of the ones where Watson went hands-free, or physical sexual assault, obviously much worse.

"It sucks, but it's just like a regular client. In my experience, they usually try the first time, then stop." makes it sound like it's a massage therapist, not someone from player personnel or something.

Outside being able to connect it to anything, that they were going "Oh, was it Watson?" without any prompting when hearing about a problem with a player, indicates that there was some level of knowledge of what he was doing.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

In in the first such text, the sender says they can get in touch with player personnel from the team of the player (so it isn’t someone on the Texans) and the second is even stranger since it implies the sender hated the fact he did all this but still coordinated his massages.

E: I misread part of it the first time.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 7, 2021

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

We forfeited all moral authority but at least we went 4-12

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
When does the exempt list start up?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Elephanthead posted:

When does the exempt list start up?

Anytime the league wants it to I'm pretty sure?

Realistically around minicamps or OTAs or something, whenever Deshaun might be expected to report for team activities. Barring an earlier arrest or this somehow getting worse which doesn't seem possible but always is.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

sweet thursday posted:

We forfeited all moral authority but at least we went 4-12

"At least we have the number 3 pick to replace Watson and just start over clean, like the Falcons did with Ryan replacing Vick. What's that? Oh no..."

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Woozie66 posted:

"At least we have the number 3 pick to replace Watson and just start over clean, like the Falcons did with Ryan replacing Vick. What's that? Oh no..."

I have no idea what the QB class looks like for next year but the Texans still have their first round pick for 2022 and aren’t exactly looking like they are going to be lighting the league on fire.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Right now it's Spencer Rattler and no one else. I would be comfortable taking a prime DE or something, a flyer on a later round QB, and tanking for 2023 too if that's where Caserio wants to go (if Caserio is still there)

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The money is running away.
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1379783260864122883

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the same people in various other forums that have been screaming for due process and innocent until proven guilty are using this as the final straw, for some reason.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I think Solis publicly speaking out is a turning point for a lot of people. It's a new level of uncouth to suggest this could all be a Buzbee invention after seeing her testimony.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Yeah putting faces to the lawsuits including their own stories made it real for people. Always does.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

the same people in various other forums that have been screaming for due process and innocent until proven guilty are using this as the final straw, for some reason.

For some people, Nike leaving Watson is a lot of smoke for there to be no fire. Not saying it's right, but I imagine that's how it is.

Edit: Combined with being able to put a not-Buzbee face to the accusations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Also if you for any reason still believed as of yesterday he was playing this year, sponsors abandoning ship is basically game over for that

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Another sponsor dropped Watson: https://twitter.com/sarahbarshop/status/1379826895232057352

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Wonder if all his endorsements are gone by the end of the day or the end of the week

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

dirty shrimp money posted:

Wonder if all his endorsements are gone by the end of the day or the end of the week

You don't want to be the last sponsor to drop a sex monster.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

From his perspective, his dumbass should have settled a long time ago. 100,000 would have been child's play compared to what he's gonna have to end up paying.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Remember when Hernandez went out in public with his Muscle Milk hat right after the story broke. They dropped him so fast.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

You don't want to be the last sponsor to drop a sex monster.

Right, this is risk mitigation now. Note how Apple dropped him as soon as 9am Pacific hit and the lawyers logged in

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember when Hernandez went out in public with his Muscle Milk hat right after the story broke. They dropped him so fast.

remember how a chopper followed him to Patriots stadium and he wasnt allowed in? lol

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

remember how a chopper followed him to Patriots stadium and he wasnt allowed in? lol

The media was absolutely begging for another White Bronco situation.

I remember being worried that he was gonna kill himself in the parking lot like that Chiefs player.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

King Hong Kong posted:

I have no idea what the QB class looks like for next year but the Texans still have their first round pick for 2022 and aren’t exactly looking like they are going to be lighting the league on fire.

My point was more that the Falcons replaced Vick without having a goddawful in between year...but then I looked it up and I was 100% wrong. My brain refused to let me remember the Joey Harrington/Chris Redman/Byron Leftwich year.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Woozie66 posted:

My brain refused to let me remember the Joey Harrington/Chris Redman/Byron Leftwich year.

Bobby Petrino account spotted.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Guarantee a lot of teams are going to their training staff and asking fi there's anything they need to be concerned about

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

GD_American posted:

Guarantee a lot of teams are going to their training staff and asking fi there's anything they need to be concerned about

No they aren't

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

GD_American posted:

Yeah I'm sure they're all eager to find that out and by liable for knowing that information.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
NFL is like any business so they’ll just do the bare minimum to react which very well could be nothing. No one can possibly know either way.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Kirios posted:

From his perspective, his dumbass should have settled a long time ago. 100,000 would have been child's play compared to what he's gonna have to end up paying.

Also if he just dated like a normal millionaire athlete he could have avoided being a creepy sex offender.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I wish there was some kind of Michael Vick to Brock Turner chart that someone could place DeShaun Watson on to clarify how much poo poo he's in

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Brock Turner got off easy and I think he's been working a corporate job for a while now

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

Also if he just dated like a normal millionaire athlete he could have avoided being a creepy sex offender.

No need to date like a normal guy when you can abuse your power and victimize any woman you want!

I'm sure he looked at dating as beneath him

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Applebees Appetizer posted:

No need to date like a normal guy when you can abuse your power and victimize any woman you want!

I'm sure he looked at dating as beneath him

You don't date something you don't see as human.

I think it's become clear Watson viewed those women as something less than persons.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Chromatic posted:

I wish there was some kind of Michael Vick to Brock Turner chart that someone could place DeShaun Watson on to clarify how much poo poo he's in

Might be more accurate to use the Roethlisberger - Winslow II scale.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Kirios posted:

AJA posted:

I think it's become clear Watson viewed those women as something less than persons.

Yeah, this is the crux of it. Watson kept doing what he was doing even after Solis came forward with the initial settlement offer. That happened in early-to-mid February, and Deshaun's most recent accuser was past that in early March.

Once Ashley Solis hired Buzbee and got in touch with Watson in February, a normal reaction from him would've been "OH gently caress! The women I've been doing these things to are starting to lawyer up and come after me! Shitshitshit! I'd better settle with this one, stop doing this stuff to anyone else, and PRAY none of the other ladies come after me too and put my career & possibly even my freedom on the line."

Instead, he kept doing it to at least one other poor lady before things went public on March 16. Dude's got at least some sociopathic aspects to him, and showed he had no intention of stopping even after already being confronted by one of his victims. There was no paying up to make it go away for him because he wasn't planning on quitting.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

AJA posted:

Pretty much, he's above dating objects that are primarily for his pleasure and refuses to treat them as human so he came up with this scheme.

He was so far up his own rear end that he figured none of the women that resisted him would dare report him because he's Mr. Houston QB model citizen and no one would believe them.

I wonder how many women just decided to keep quiet, there's a good chance there are twice as many victims or more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

People are talking about dating/sex as if this weird massage thing isn't a very specific kink the dude was chasing. Of course, the dehumanizing predatory part is where he's someone who also gets off on the assault instead of hiring actual sex workers to engage in something consensual. News could come out that he had actual, normal relationships with other women and it wouldn't change the messed up reality of what he was indulging in otherwise.