Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

it's got tom bombadil in it, instant 10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Comrade Koba posted:

it's got tom bombadil in it, instant 10/10

Wrong side won the cold war

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Every so often I get an overwhelming urge to play a random MMO and today it's LotRO. I'll probably play for less than a month and then forget about it completely, but I figured I'd ask anyway:

Yellow Line for Guardians is a tank spec that uses two-handed weapons? Is that correct? How viable is it for group dungeons, if I decide to run them?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
not many people do group dungeons below max level. guardians in general are pretty weak tanks these days

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Lum_ posted:

not many people do group dungeons below max level. guardians in general are pretty weak tanks these days

Is it still viable, though, or would I be better off going DPS spec?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
You’re gonna want to be DPS spec for pretty much any class leveling, can’t speak specifically to leveling a guard tho.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Guardians are fine for levelling, as is any class as landscape mobs just melt when you look at them until Mordor-ish. Take DPS (red) spec and go to town.

By "guardians are weak tanks" I mean in endgame, where they're fine, just not as good at it as other classes

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
In saying so, I'm assuming you are no longer counting warden as a tank?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

All right, I'll just Red spec for levelling and if I decide to do stuff at endgame I'll worry about it then. Thanks for the tips.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Yeah, for progressing through the game you generally can't go wrong with red line for any class. I know hunters can also do well solo with blue; I prefer it, because I don't have to refocus every time I dismount.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Yellow guardian was the most fun guardian when last I played. Red is single target bleed, yellow is aoe dots.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Apart from actually spending money on the drat game, is there any way to gear up from level 116 onward? I have been doing the free black book quests plus dailies to try and level, and it's slow and annoying, but I am getting murdered by mobs now.

The cheapest option would be to sub for a month and get quest gear, but...I don't know that I'd get my money's worth. I installed again after a year hiatus and even though it looks great, the gameplay feels old.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
There's essentially no point in leveling/gearing up without having access to content because all the endgame content that you'd actually need to gear up for is locked behind that same content.

If you truly don't want to spend money, the best use of your time in game would be grinding old deeds to get the turbine points (or whatever they're called these days) which you can buy quest packs with.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

jalapeno_dude posted:

There's essentially no point in leveling/gearing up without having access to content because all the endgame content that you'd actually need to gear up for is locked behind that same content.

If you truly don't want to spend money, the best use of your time in game would be grinding old deeds to get the turbine points (or whatever they're called these days) which you can buy quest packs with.

I don't mind spending money to get content, but it is annoying to throw it at content that you're going to go through for 4-5 levels and STILL have 10 more levels to do.

Grinding turbine points is not worth my time anymore. I used to re-create characters over and over and do the beginner area deeds for TP, but with each quest pack costing 2k+ it's better to spend the money for VIP for the month

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Glass of Milk posted:

I don't mind spending money to get content, but it is annoying to throw it at content that you're going to go through for 4-5 levels and STILL have 10 more levels to do.

Grinding turbine points is not worth my time anymore. I used to re-create characters over and over and do the beginner area deeds for TP, but with each quest pack costing 2k+ it's better to spend the money for VIP for the month

Yeah, I understand the frustration. I can tell you that story and writing wise, the post-Mordor content in the game has been excellent, and the music and environmental design is still great. The actual mechanics of the quests are mostly more of the same. The last expansion made a big deal out of missions but it will only affect your daily grind at endgame, not the leveling experience. The LI/essence/virtue grinds feel a bit easier than they used to be but they're still fundamentally badly designed systems. After years without it they added flavor text back to deeds in the last few quest packs, which is a tiny thing but makes killing 200 orcs yet again a little bit more enjoyable.

I tend to get a lotro itch once every 3-6 months, play through the new zone, do some of the new dailies and deeds, and then stop. I've never found endgame to be compelling enough to play daily for multiple months in a row, but luckily I have FFXIV for that.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 12, 2021

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Hammerstein posted:

Time for your friendly neighbourhood Liftime account holder to do his yearly checkin.

They are still honoring the Turbine points deal and I'm once again sitting on 46K free points which have accumulated over the last year. Is there anything I can buy for the Nazgun again?

Also I'm kinda tempted to play a little, in the most casual way possible. Which class is the most suitable if I just wanted to derp around a bit, do some quests, a little crafting and exploration and maybe group up for a random dungeon once in a blue moon? Back when the game came out I was one of the first level 50ies on my server, but that was pre-Moria and on the Euro servers and I have forgotten almost everything I ever knew about the game. Apart from Captain I played Warden, Runekeeper and dabbled a little in Hunter.

Also upgraded to an ultra-wide monitor last year and it's fun how immersive it makes the game (gotta adjust the interface ofc).

https://i.imgur.com/y1JLWqp.mp4

Cheers to the main donor of our island, admittedly we're pretty spread out, in different time zones and different parts of the game, with nobody running much content together. There's a couple kins I'll run raids with casually, then take a few months off a year off and just log in to do dailies, festivals etc.

As far as what to do with your 46,000 points, charity or otherwise, it's kind of hard. You've got plenty to buy yourself every expansion pack they'll ever come out with. We already have the island that I use once a month or so, and it's always beautiful but I don't think we need a Rohan kinhouse unless you want one to decorate or use mostly for yourself.

Only thing that isn't bound to account beyond that, you could buy more universal solvents than all our 130s will ever need, give them out or do a contest or something. Make sure those don't bind first obviously, but last I checked that was one of the items people who are out of gold often buy with real life money. (They're used mainly for crafting end game essence, along with the Ithilharn? Shards which can only be obtained in game, not the store).

Runekeepers are no longer overpowered in most scenarios, certainly not landscape mobs or most 3 man content, though a couple are still desirable for raids. Captains still the top tank of the game, with the most contribution of maybe any class in 3, 6 or 12 man content. Hunters are pretty straight forward, learn a rotation for maxing DPS and look for groups in /world or /LFF that need DPS.

We've got brawlers coming out probably this fall for the Gundabad expansion, which might be just destroying the need for champs, and who knows if they'll give them a shield and make them take half of the guardians jobs too. Play whichever one you think is fun, and if you're ever on a 130 on Landroval sure I'd be glad to group.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Forgot the reason I logged in, the 14th anniversary event begins Wednesday the 21st (usually 10 AM EST), but will probably be downloaded in Monday's downtime patch which also contains some surprise content.

https://www.lotro.com/en/content/update-295-release-notes-0

"Of Special Note:

The Further Adventures of Bilbo Baggins

One of the most famous of all the hobbits has gone missing, and it seems Bilbo's adventuring days are not yet behind him! Speak to Celeblír in Rivendell, not far from the Last Homely House, to begin 'The Further Adventures of Bilbo Baggins,' the first of our new story-based Missions quests available starting at level 20 through 130! The Further Adventures of Bilbo Baggins is FREE to VIPs and available in the LOTRO Store. ALSO, for a limited time, all players can get The Further Adventures of Bilbo Baggins for FREE: More information arrives Monday, April 19th, 2021."

As far as the free part goes, haven't heard anything confirmed but since Three Peaks hasn't been on the LOTRO store that long, and Wildwood is still making them fresh money, I would bet a lot of people will get it free either from owning those already, or maybe it'll just be a free to everyone thanks for supporting us for 14 years coupon code.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Not content with being the first burglar, the new content lets the player participate in Bilbo's training to become the first brawler. Enjoy LOTRO's cross-promotion with Rocky VII as you play as Bilbo running up flights of stairs all across Middle Earth.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hello Sailor posted:

Enjoy LOTRO's cross-promotion with Rocky VII as you play as Bilbo running up flights of stairs all across Middle Earth.

finally a reason for the devs to put the entirety of the Endless Stair in the game

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Nice, it seems they barely ever got it underway and didn't know what they wanted to make, so this is still better than no news

FOR A LIMITED TIME:

All players can get The Further Adventures of Bilbo Baggins for FREE by going to the LOTRO Store in-game, clicking on Redeem Code, and entering the Coupon Code SAVEBILBO - Available to redeem 1/Account through May 9th, 2021!

I'm halfway into it and it's a somewhat fun little chunk of content, can do it in under two hours and the rewards are mostly cosmetics, so I'd say be sure to use the coupon code.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
So if I understand things, now motes of enchantment are used for non-top level stuff and embers are used for top tier equipment?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

extra stout posted:

Captains still the top tank of the game, with the most contribution of maybe any class in 3, 6 or 12 man content.

I know I haven't had time to play this for years but seeing Captains as the best tank is just wild. I remember playing mine up when RoR was still the newest expansion and they were solid support/healing or ok-ish DPS (and hilariously broken mounted DPS in Helm's Deep when their mounted skill CD was bugged to be 10x faster than intended). In the off chance I find time to play this again, are they still at all viable as DPS/support? Being a good tank while leveling doesn't mean much if you take forever to kill things.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

reinstalled this recently. never leveled very high, but I got some free time coming up so I figured I'd take another swing at it

speaking of taking a swing that thing, the official forums are NOT happy about the upcoming Brawler class lmao.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Babe Magnet posted:

reinstalled this recently. never leveled very high, but I got some free time coming up so I figured I'd take another swing at it

speaking of taking a swing that thing, the official forums are NOT happy about the upcoming Brawler class lmao.

One thing the LOTRO folks know how to do is add a bunch of poorly thought-out, tested and implemented new systems.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah the actual mechanics of it are probably going to be weird and divisive but just the idea of a punchman in LotR is causing meltdowns lol.

I hope hobbits can be them

e: lol forgot captain was a pet class, owns

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 22, 2021

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Well the two sources their lore person mentioned as inspiration are Helm Hammerhand and...Pippin, who apparently has a whole conversation with Bergil about wrestling in RotK. So Hobbit brawlers seem like a safe bet.

In other news, the world designer Scenario showed off some details on U30 on his stream a few hours ago. It's called the Wrath of Azog, and is apparently a flashback to the War of the Orcs and Dwarves, aka the battle which gave Thorin the name Oakenshield. In the same way the Minas Morgul expansion did an alternate version of some of the Mordor landscape this will have an older version of the area between Moria and Lothlorien.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I started playing LotRO as a human burglar a few days ago. The character models are worse than other MMOs like The Old Republic, but all the textures are just as high resolution or higher, and the special effects like shadows, reflections, atmospheric effects, etc. on my system are near the maximum settings, which looks nice. The village NPCs in Archet, the starter town, have more animation than I've seen in Star Trek Online, The Old Republic, or even FFXIV (usually the animated NPCs are lifting crates or something), so that's good. It reminds me a little of how at the beginning of Assassin's Creed III, they animated Ratonhnhaké:ton's village so well that it reminded me of a living version of the dioramas we saw in sixth grade, though that was more advanced. I'm interested in seeing if that holds up elsewhere. The foliage is the most detailed out of any game I've ever played. It's absolutely amazing. Most games play at 20-30fps on my system. This game plays at 25-35 fps in high-foliage areas and 55-75fps in towns and instances, which will take some getting used to.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 23, 2021

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Just picked this back up again myself after about 10-11 years away. I think the last time I played was riiight about when it went free to play. I somehow had like $20 in funbux on my old account, so guessing those were just given to everyone who bought the original game or something. Was also fun getting 10 years of vet rewards all at once, like I was some sort of long term player.

Was just feeling nostalgic for the old place. The gameplay is definitely on the older side, but hey, had fun with it then. Went back in as a high elf minstrel because shouting at gnat swarms until they die of depression is still funny (and yelling in elvish is kinda cool, especially when I can pretend he’s saying swears).

So far, used funbux on High elf, a starter pack with riding skill and some other stuff like a toolkit, a premium wallet, and some more inventory space. Someone somewhere mentioned getting a landscape minion soldier? Is that a pay option or something from later?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

is there a reason to join the guild/kin other than occasionally having someone to talk to? I mean like, in WoW you get a bunch of passive perks and all that.

Also, am I missing out on anything by not doing low level dungeons? I've had some quests for The Great Barrow or whatever for a few days and cannot find a group lol

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Babe Magnet posted:

is there a reason to join the guild/kin other than occasionally having someone to talk to? I mean like, in WoW you get a bunch of passive perks and all that.

Also, am I missing out on anything by not doing low level dungeons? I've had some quests for The Great Barrow or whatever for a few days and cannot find a group lol

We have a nice kin house, which you get a free teleport to.

I don't think you're really missing anything except the related achievements and the culmination of some sidequest chains. The main storyline will offer you solo or group versions of anything that takes you into a dungeon. If you just want to poke around in the place, you can always overlevel it and come back, especially as a tank.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Plan on giving this a try for a bit just so I can run around ME and check out the sights. How easy is it for a newbie to play Bard?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm leveling a bard atm (dorf) alongside my captain and it's pretty cool, obliterating birds and goblins with the power of smooth jazz

It doesn't seem overly complicated at least in the beginning, they give you three stances to pick from at any given time but you only need the middle one (some DPS and self heals; as opposed to Big DPS and Group Heals), and the rotation mostly seems to be play 3 Buffs To Unlock Strong Moves; Spend Them For Big Move. The self heals and being a ranged class is nice. I haven't hit a wall yet when it comes to damage, but I'm only like level 20. I like that your attack sounds change depending on what instrument you're using, I've been carrying a couple of different ones in my backpack and just swapping them around every once in a while.

Hello Sailor posted:

We have a nice kin house, which you get a free teleport to.

I don't think you're really missing anything except the related achievements and the culmination of some sidequest chains. The main storyline will offer you solo or group versions of anything that takes you into a dungeon. If you just want to poke around in the place, you can always overlevel it and come back, especially as a tank.

Alright dope, thanks for the info. I'll come back and bomb the dungeons later just to clear out quests and such.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 26, 2021

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Any plans for a new legacy server? I want to get into this game again but it would have to be a new legacy server. My old characters are stuck in limbo.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Playing a minstrel myself, too. Red line glass cannon is pretty fun. I love how this game uses “morale” instead of hit points, meaning I can run around and play bagpipes menacingly at enemies until they die of depression.

Also I can yell a wolf to death.

Just unlocked skirmishes at lvl 20, so that’ll be fun to play around with.

I really want to like captain since I love the idea of their class. Will need to mess around more with it. Their red line gets kinda complicated in groups, I guess. Rune keepers have a cool healer setup, but I really can’t seem to like their combat flow for damage lines. Loremaster has a cool red line, and I guess their yellow line is liked in groups, so might play around there, too.

Really torn on unlocking beorning. Anyone have thoughts on their redline? I heard their yellow line is a good healer.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

HPanda posted:

Really torn on unlocking beorning. Anyone have thoughts on their redline? I heard their yellow line is a good healer.

Can’t speak for group healing, but yellow-line Beornings are loving amazing for soloing content.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

HPanda posted:

Beornings are a lot of fun, my favorite overall class though a lot of that is aesthetics. Redline is great for solo and still has a powerful heal. In group content yellow line is always welcomed as a healer and is generally the assumed role for raids but if you want to play blue most groups will be fine with a bear tank as long as you're geared and know fights. Red line Beornings will pretty much always be dead last in a group for dps so pugs are often unenthused with them. But they're great for solo.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm leveling a bard atm (dorf) alongside my captain and it's pretty cool, obliterating birds and goblins with the power of smooth jazz.

Minstrels (what LOTRO calls bards) used to be a LOT more powerful at lower levels, until SSG nerfed them into the dirt a couple years back when legendary servers came out. To be fair, having a healing class that could one-shot landscape mobs with a shout was a bit much, but right now they just do too little damage for me. Of course, so do captains :D

I can back up the beorning love, playing mine again and at least at level 30ish they're still great to solo with.

Just so this isn't a shitpost about SSG nerfing things, for new players this site just started up and is a great resource for actually current info on classes (so many LOTRO guides are a decade old or more): https://www.lotrobasics.com/

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 28, 2021

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oh yeah, LotR has a dude just called Bard lol

so I'm doing the anniversary event now, it looks like I won't be able to buy a ton of stuff, but I'm looking at mount things. Should I buy a whole rear end mount or should I save up and buy Mount Armor which I'm assuming is used for the combat mount I get later?

I guess what I'm asking is what would I be using more? Is there any reason to go back to a regular mount once I get Battle Horse?

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Is there a site that walks you though mechanics and what zones to go to at what levels etc? There is a whole lot of stuff that is opaque. I'm around 40 so I'm assuming Moria is in my future but who knows.