Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

In the novel tomino wrote of CCA, hathaway doesn't kill chan but instead quess, lol.

Also in that novel instead of the sazabi, char pilots the nightingale which is like if the zeong and the qubeley did the fusion dance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

net work error posted:

The lack of newtype magic is part of why thunderbolt rocked for me.

There's plenty of Newtype magic in Thunderbolt.

I'm actually really into Newtype magic, though. I think it's cool that there's bullshit psychic powers that can be quantified to the point that you can build technology around them. Actually, the Soul does exist, and we can use it to power the death robot.

The Gundams themselves are counter-revolutionary, though, and exist to preserve the status quo of neoliberalism. The Unicorn is literally the only one with revolutionary potential, and they were so scared of it they dismantled it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Stairmaster posted:

In the novel tomino wrote of CCA, hathaway doesn't kill chan but instead quess, lol.
i can't tell if its better or worse for him to have killed an innocent person or the victim of a powerful pedophile who was sex-trafficked into space and is expressing her trauma through Big Zam praxis

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Yeah, a couple of the side characters and villians have satisfying conclusions, but it mainly fizzled out.

It has a second secret op that's also pretty amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaxUqFJ3JT4
i'm mega-pissed that xam'd wasn't great

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Bro Dad posted:

its extremely hosed up

i cant wait for the inevitable Shonen TimeSkip for MHA to reveal

it was just a weeb version of watchmen

all along:v:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

i can't tell if its better or worse for him to have killed an innocent person or the victim of a powerful pedophile who was sex-trafficked into space and is expressing her trauma through Big Zam praxis

tomino can't write Pacing for poo poo (G-Reco shouldve clued you in on this). hth.

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 04:32 on Apr 8, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

Gantz is fascist

gantz is never coherent enough to be anything more than an idiotic spectacle.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah but it was cool how the main character hosed angelina jolie tho

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Isnt it prettg explicitly about a termination squad forced to murder what are essentially alien refugees who aren't really bothering anyone?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

She was trying to shoot amuro in the middle of his duel with char for what it's worth

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Ideon was the superior show

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Stairmaster posted:

She was trying to shoot amuro in the middle of his duel with char for what it's worth
good

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Bootleg Trunks posted:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

Isnt it prettg explicitly about a termination squad forced to murder what are essentially alien refugees who aren't really bothering anyone?

that's one of the early premises which was repeatedly contradicted and discarded. i think the final explanation was that the aliens are invaders and a different godlike race of aliens sent the gantz technology for no particular reason.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I for one oppose the persecution of homosexuals

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I love gundam but I can't stand how every series ends with some corny poo poo about the power of love, sometimes literally

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Flavius Aetass posted:

I love gundam but I can't stand how every series ends with some corny poo poo about the power of love, sometimes literally

UC is generally good about this, because it's the power of your dead girlfriends, but they're still dead and you just helped the dying empire persevere for another generation. And because the contradictions are left unresolved there will always be another war.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tomino himself decided newtypes are bs ideologically which is why they don't appear in turn-a or reconquistia in g

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Stairmaster posted:

Tomino himself decided newtypes are bs ideologically which is why they don't appear in turn-a or reconquistia in g

it’s pure idealism, hoping one day that mankind will evolve into a more empathetic being and that will bring about utopia , meanwhile Anaheim Electronics has a near monopoly on the military industrial complex and is selling to both sides of any given conflict for profit

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBgOi4Vyra8

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mecha Gojira posted:

There's plenty of Newtype magic in Thunderbolt.

I'm actually really into Newtype magic, though. I think it's cool that there's bullshit psychic powers that can be quantified to the point that you can build technology around them. Actually, the Soul does exist, and we can use it to power the death robot.

The Gundams themselves are counter-revolutionary, though, and exist to preserve the status quo of neoliberalism. The Unicorn is literally the only one with revolutionary potential, and they were so scared of it they dismantled it.

I have nothing against newtype magic, just how it was presented in Narrative specifically.

Federation was always afraid of newtypes, that's might as well be one of the reasons why Amuro was put under house arrest and constant surveillance for nine years after the end of the One Year War. Except Amuro clearly said that he is not a newtype, ace pilots that racked up insane kill lists are not newtypes, super powers aren't what makes a newtype. At least as far Zeon Zum Deikun originally proposed that newtypes are people who manage to live in space without constantly blowing each other up. Newtypes are the society of people that manage to achieve that, while Narrative puts the cart before the horse and says that some super special people with super powers will lead to a peaceful society.

I feel like you can kind of see that in the way Char's Counterattack ended, and the new UC stories play out. In CCA it was a bunch of Federation and Zeon pilots along with Amuro, but it's never really presented as Amuro on his own or Nu Gundam that stop Axis from falling. While in Unicorn and Narrative it's all about individuals and their super special mobile suits with psychoframe and psychoshard an whatever.

Also like it's kinda of hilarious now that there's a literal ghost of zeon possessing newtypes and making them blow poo poo up.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Flavius Aetass posted:

sounds like you just accidently talked some poo poo on Gunbuster, so let me stop you right there, pal

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Bootleg Trunks posted:

thanks for the reminder; I’m about a third of the way into Ideon and had dropped it for a few weeks - I’m still waiting for it to get hosed up

I should probably watch Gundam Narrative before Hathaway starts coming out...

e: Combatants Will Be Dispatched! used a musical sting from Konosuba in its first episode and seems fun - but not particularly left. more neofeudal, really!

wolfs has issued a correction as of 07:42 on Apr 8, 2021

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Hodgepodge posted:

do you have a source on this? because the most I've ever found is him naming a side character after a war criminal and being embarrassed about it

Unless this is another war criminal, it wasn't naming a character after one, it was modeling his appearance (closely) and role (loosely) after one.

I stopped watching, so I dunno...did Pixis turn out to be a bad guy? He was set up kind pf ominously, but that doesn't mean poo poo when creators are tone deaf.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

that's one of the early premises which was repeatedly contradicted and discarded. i think the final explanation was that the aliens are invaders and a different godlike race of aliens sent the gantz technology for no particular reason.

That last part happens a lot in the dudes stories. In Inuyashiki, the old man and teen are obliterated because of an alien's fender bender so they put their consciousnesses into robot bodies and hightail it out of there before they get in trouble

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

VideoTapir posted:

Unless this is another war criminal, it wasn't naming a character after one, it was modeling his appearance (closely) and role (loosely) after one.

I stopped watching, so I dunno...did Pixis turn out to be a bad guy? He was set up kind pf ominously, but that doesn't mean poo poo when creators are tone deaf.

it sounds like the last chapter might have poo poo the bed but last I checked pretty much everyone sort of turned out to be the bad guys except for the child soldiers who realized that it was kind of bullshit that they were all child soldiers

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

VideoTapir posted:

as I remember, he sort of fades into the background and the characters side-eye his hobby of torturing ex-aristocrats in creative manners and wonder if having him in charge is a good idea. making him a sort of taintrunner, i guess? anyhow (this is where i looked it up), he hands over power to historia (who doesn't seem to exercise political power herself much but i can't remember what sort of government she delegated things to) and eventually gets titanified (not the cool type that gives you powers) by zeke.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

christmas boots posted:

it sounds like the last chapter might have poo poo the bed but last I checked pretty much everyone sort of turned out to be the bad guys except for the child soldiers who realized that it was kind of bullshit that they were all child soldiers

by the time erin catches up to reiner, he won't even let reiner apologize because he's just glad that his old friend understands that he feels like he never had a choice but to be anything but a monster.

it'd kind of suck if it really is true that the author couldn't think of a satisfying way to end it since he had erin spending most of his life depressed because he knew his own fate and the whole magical past girl deus ex machina to work with, he could have written whatever he wanted to finish things up.

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

Here lies eren, he never scored

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Stairmaster posted:

I for one oppose the persecution of homosexuals
amuro isn't gay, he's just a zero pussy motherfucker

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
the reason the novel is called "Beltorchika's Children" is because amuro is a cuck

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Ostiosis posted:

Here lies eren, he never scored

Eren sucked so much the whole anime. That he had such devoted friends his whole life is somehow less believable than the rest of the show

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Lostconfused posted:

I have nothing against newtype magic, just how it was presented in Narrative specifically.

Federation was always afraid of newtypes, that's might as well be one of the reasons why Amuro was put under house arrest and constant surveillance for nine years after the end of the One Year War. Except Amuro clearly said that he is not a newtype, ace pilots that racked up insane kill lists are not newtypes, super powers aren't what makes a newtype. At least as far Zeon Zum Deikun originally proposed that newtypes are people who manage to live in space without constantly blowing each other up. Newtypes are the society of people that manage to achieve that, while Narrative puts the cart before the horse and says that some super special people with super powers will lead to a peaceful society.

I feel like you can kind of see that in the way Char's Counterattack ended, and the new UC stories play out. In CCA it was a bunch of Federation and Zeon pilots along with Amuro, but it's never really presented as Amuro on his own or Nu Gundam that stop Axis from falling. While in Unicorn and Narrative it's all about individuals and their super special mobile suits with psychoframe and psychoshard an whatever.

Also like it's kinda of hilarious now that there's a literal ghost of zeon possessing newtypes and making them blow poo poo up.

To be fair to Unicorn, one of the major psycoframe sequences is literally the Unicorn acting as a bridge between the actually revolutionary Neo Zeon faction and the disavowed Londo Bell warship. But really the end of Unicorn and Narrative aren’t much different from the end of Zeta and ZZ where it’s still basically a single mobile suit ending the war by channeling dead people into a super attack.

again though Newtype philosophy is idealistic bullshit and a materialist reading will reveal that as they’ll still be fighting the same Earth vs Space conflict 60 years later in Victory Gundam. they ARE just hosed up psychic mutants. Anaheim Electronics still out there building the V2.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
GUndam X was right about Newtypes. Listen to D.O.M.E.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
No Space War but Space Class War. Newtypism isn't Marxism, it posits that just being in space will turn human beings into psychic empaths that will instantly understand each other and that will end conflict (something something communication over the vastness of space, it's constantly harped on). The shows themselves show that actually, no, material conditions are what put these people into conflict in the first place, and that can't be overcome by just "understanding." It's why there's so many dead girlfriends in the first place.

The Earth vs. Space conflict masks the underlying class conflict. There's still poor people on Earth who serve the neoliberal bureaucrats, and there's still rich people in Space funding armed groups like AEUG and Neo Zeon and eventually Cosmo Babylonia and the Zanscare Empire. Quattro Char fails because he can't imagine just murking the capitalists who told him to invade Jaburo instead of attacking Gryps.

Mecha Gojira has issued a correction as of 16:15 on Apr 8, 2021

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
deca dence is good

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Flavius Aetass posted:

War in the Pocket.

tokin opposition posted:

deca dence is good

Yes.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

attack on titan ending sounds very succ

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Aaron Sorkin Presents: Attack on Titan

Adbot