Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The superior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
Mittleman as Ryuji is great, and people like to talk about how Ryuji says gently caress in strikers, but nobody ever talks about the other things ryuji says

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXK776PKdRI

:allears:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Ok Rise’s romance rejection is also pretty brutal girl is crying her eyes out and your options are A) hold her or B) stand there...goddamn

*edit*
Also just finished Kanji’s SL and he is by far my favorite character in P4.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 7, 2021

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Teddie interrupts before she can finish her "ghost story" here, and we are left to merely infer that the dude pooped in the closet.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 8, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ApplesandOranges posted:

The main problem with P4 is that Yosuke and Teddie aren't to a tee terrible, but they've aged extremely badly, the same way things like old sitcom jokes have. It's also really bad in how badly the jokes are flanderized in the sequels (haha girls can't cook/Kanji's sexuality/Chie likes meat/etc.). P3 also suffers a bit of it but they didn't get nearly the deluge of content that P4 got, so the worst you really get is Akihiko turning into a goober whose every second word is 'protein'.

Like I still like P4G, and I'll happily replay it (after creating a save file past the very slow opening), but it's a charmingly flawed product that may have one or two flaws that aren't so charming anymore.

I may be the only one but I also felt really bad in how P4 in general treats Kashiwagi? Like as terrible a person as she is, she actually does teach her curriculum in school lessons (she even has you answer a bunch of questions towards the end of P4G to get some costumes if you want), and the game just dumps on her by treating her as an old never-been who can never get a man, preys on teenage boys and tries to show up a bunch of teenage girls by entering (and losing) a beauty pageant next to them.

I mean... I'd feel worse about it if she didn't prey on teenage boys and stuff, it's a bit different than those other things. :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Ok Rise’s romance rejection is also pretty brutal girl is crying her eyes out and your options are A) hold her or B) stand there...goddamn

P4 does that more than once, if you can believe it! And it's somehow even worse the other time!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Acerbatus posted:

I mean... I'd feel worse about it if she didn't prey on teenage boys and stuff, it's a bit different than those other things. :v:

Oh it's bad too, it just also felt like they included that aspect to make her character worse. Like it wasn't enough that she's apparently 'old' and feels the need to compete with teenage girls, they just rubbed their hands and go 'yes, let's make her want to jump her students' bones'. Like from a character creator standpoint, they really went out of their way to make her hateable, and not in the Morooka way.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

P5 is also there and perfectly fine with that sort of thing.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ApplesandOranges posted:

I may be the only one but I also felt really bad in how P4 in general treats Kashiwagi? Like as terrible a person as she is, she actually does teach her curriculum in school lessons (she even has you answer a bunch of questions towards the end of P4G to get some costumes if you want), and the game just dumps on her by treating her as an old never-been who can never get a man, preys on teenage boys and tries to show up a bunch of teenage girls by entering (and losing) a beauty pageant next to them.

Yeah, Kashiwagi's not really a bad person, just the butt of a a really sexist joke. When she and Hanako lost the pageant, Kashiwagi even treats Hanako to a night at the Amagi Inn so they can cheer themselves up. At least Morooka had some pathos and bit of respect when he died.

Another thing is that Kashiwagi and Ulala have some similarities. They're both stuck at a crappy job and society's made them feel that their worth as women lies in having a man in their life so they desperately try to be more appealing to feel better about themselves. Except Ulala's allowed to examine how she feels about that and grow past it, while Kashiwagi's stuck being made fun of. :(

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
it's hard to honestly invest in Kashiwagi's situation when she and Hanako aren't really characters but vehicles for crass sexism on behalf of whoever's writing them

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

amigolupus posted:

Yeah, Kashiwagi's not really a bad person, just the butt of a a really sexist joke. When she and Hanako lost the pageant, Kashiwagi even treats Hanako to a night at the Amagi Inn so they can cheer themselves up. At least Morooka had some pathos and bit of respect when he died.

Another thing is that Kashiwagi and Ulala have some similarities. They're both stuck at a crappy job and society's made them feel that their worth as women lies in having a man in their life so they desperately try to be more appealing to feel better about themselves. Except Ulala's allowed to examine how she feels about that and grow past it, while Kashiwagi's stuck being made fun of. :(

Which is funny because I honestly don't remember a single thing Morooka did to deserve the respect. Like, he... walked out to give Yu his sports uniform on a school night? That's it?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

After he dies there’s some dialogue about how he was good at helping students figure out what to do in life, but mostly before that he’s a jerk to you day one and gets drunk on the school trip.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ApplesandOranges posted:

Like, he... walked out to give Yu his sports uniform on a school night? That's it?
This is still maybe the weirdest thing that happens in the game.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
It's more like they're trying to make the player feel guilty for putting him #1 on their suspect list up to that point.

Related, the first time I played P4 I tried to lookup one of the voice actors, but if you start typing "Persona 4 Nanako" one of the Google auto-fills is "Persona 4 Nanako is the killer" and I was sure I had had the game spoiled for me, so I actually loved the final reveal. I was thinking there was like a mind control signal in the Junes jingle or something.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"You couldn't just quit while you were ahead, big bro..."

Also one more day until "let us start the game"... I am amped

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Jesus tapdancing Christ, Shadow Okumura can suck a bag of robot dicks.

Finished the fight with literally 38 seconds on the clock. Joker not having mass Psy or Curse damage for the big green robots nearly screwed me over.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

anakha posted:

Finished the fight with literally 38 seconds on the clock. Joker not having mass Psy or Curse damage for the big green robots nearly screwed me over.

it's a bad fight, op

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

anakha posted:

That fight gave me my only game over in my Royal playthrough when my characters shook off the Hunger status effect on their own and then got nuked by the Big Bang Challenge attack

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lol was just driving around in mementos and ryuji just playfully asked morgana if he's ticklish on the inside

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

anakha's questions about the overall Persona mythology over in the RPG thread reminded me I wanted to talk about Jose. Figured I'd do it here instead of the RPG thread.

Big Royal spoilers: What do you all make of Jose? Do you think he serves Philemon like Igor does, or is his master (and the "others" like him that he refers to) some new being to the series? There's always the possibility that all the teasing about Jose's origins is jut meant to be fun "ooh, there's a larger mysterious universe out there" stuff that won't actually develop into anything concrete, but it does seem possible they're setting up some new mythology developments with him.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Harrow posted:

anakha's questions about the overall Persona mythology over in the RPG thread reminded me I wanted to talk about Jose. Figured I'd do it here instead of the RPG thread.

Big Royal spoilers: What do you all make of Jose? Do you think he serves Philemon like Igor does, or is his master (and the "others" like him that he refers to) some new being to the series? There's always the possibility that all the teasing about Jose's origins is jut meant to be fun "ooh, there's a larger mysterious universe out there" stuff that won't actually develop into anything concrete, but it does seem possible they're setting up some new mythology developments with him.

Personally, I hope philemon shows up again, and gets a big ol punch in the dick. If he didn't have a need to gamble on mankind's psyche with Nylartothep, none of this would have happened. :mad:

But no really, it'd be nice if they started tying some of the meta-plot together, but I totally understand how nerve-wracking that can be. Take one look at any nintendo series.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't really think they should or could tie together all the metaplots. In some way each game in the series since two has dealt with humanities subconscious self destructive desires. All these can be considered a facet humanities subconscious on the obverse of philemon representing the good qualities.

P1 is actually interesting in this way in that it looks not at a collective consciousness but exactly one person's.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

P1 is actually interesting in this way in that it looks not at a collective consciousness but exactly one person's.

This is an interesting point, and something I'd like to see more of. I think the series is at its strongest when its stories are at their most personal. P2 still has a lot of this, too, in both halves, and the third semester in Royal. Those very human, personally-motivated conflicts blown up into larger paranormal events are my favorite Persona things.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Lots is being said about Shadow Okumura's fight in P5 (specially Royal), and I understand the "official" strat for the big robot is not curing the Hunger status, but I haven't seen anyone mention that the guy is actually vulnerable to the Forget status (and with Makajama+Forget Boost it seems to work almost every time). I don't know why I decided to try it but it's really easy to cheese it that way.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Also just finished Kanji’s SL and he is by far my favorite character in P4.

Kanji is also responsible for my personal favorite line in all of Persona 4

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't really think they should or could tie together all the metaplots. In some way each game in the series since two has dealt with humanities subconscious self destructive desires. All these can be considered a facet humanities subconscious on the obverse of philemon representing the good qualities.

They did a fantastic job with linking 3&4 together with Arena IMO.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Petiso posted:

Lots is being said about Shadow Okumura's fight in P5 (specially Royal), and I understand the "official" strat for the big robot is not curing the Hunger status, but I haven't seen anyone mention that the guy is actually vulnerable to the Forget status (and with Makajama+Forget Boost it seems to work almost every time). I don't know why I decided to try it but it's really easy to cheese it that way.

My main issue in the fight earlier today was more that I didn't have enough mass Psy or Curse damage on hand aside from Haru's Mapsio to deal with the green director bots.

They would keep fleeing before I could put enough damage together to kill the whole group, then get replaced by a fresh batch that I would try to whittle down again. I must have spent almost half the time of the fight dealing with that neverending swarm. Finally got enough damage together via Joker's Concentrate > Haru's Mapsio > Baton Pass > Joker's Maeiha.

Got to the big bot with less than 10 minutes to go, and I was able to take it down pretty quick because I had spent some time building a Daisoujou with Kougaon+Bless Boost+Bless Amp+Magic Ability. Still, the amount of dialogue in that fight meant I was frantically speedrunning the last two minutes' worth of actions.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Harrow posted:

That fight gave me my only game over in my Royal playthrough when my characters shook off the Hunger status effect on their own and then got nuked by the Big Bang Challenge attack

I'd like that fight if it wasn't a just a series of gotchas. First I lost at the last robot because I cured hunger then I got owned because I didn't think the enemies would respawn even on low health with all of them alive. Turns out they do and then I ran out of SP. It's almost a very good fight because of baton pass but it takes every opportunity to make you restart.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drakenel posted:

Personally, I hope philemon shows up again, and gets a big ol punch in the dick. If he didn't have a need to gamble on mankind's psyche with Nylartothep, none of this would have happened. :mad:

But no really, it'd be nice if they started tying some of the meta-plot together, but I totally understand how nerve-wracking that can be. Take one look at any nintendo series.

I'm pretty sure at this point they actively don't want people to go back and play P1/2 because it'd dilute the brand or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

IIRC the reason they didn't localize the PSP version of Eternal Punishment is because it was really late in the PSP's life cycle and they didn't think it'd sell well enough to be worth it. It'd be pretty cool if they did a full rerelease on Switch for the 25th anniversary of the series this year or something like that.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Didn't the Innocent Sin remake sell really badly in North America?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Didn't the Innocent Sin remake sell really badly in North America?

Extremely. Atlus usa had to push really hard to get it localized after P1 flopped. Index knew it wouldn't sell, same as why og devil summoner didn't get released stateside. Atlus usa could at least get innocent sin done but after that also didn't sell it's hard to justify the psp port of it's sequel when the games already available in english

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Historically both P2 games were the least selling games, both in terms of the original PS1 release and the PSP ports. (Technically, Innocent Sin on PS1 outsold Vanilla P3 alone, but if you combine Vanilla with FES then P3 outsells IS).

I guess that Atlus wouldn't re-release the P2 games again because of the relative unpopularity. But since the PS3 online store is going away, they might bring back P2 as a collection on Steam or Switch. After they remake P3 first, of course.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's April 9, and you know what that means...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

:sickos:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wish you luck in this endeavor.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is mad, but I hope you succeed

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh I didn't notice that Takemi walks by you when you get to Yongen-Jaya...

Tomorrow I go to introduce myself at Shujin, but for now rest (mode because the game didn't allow me to save before going to bed lol) :)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/jmdornbush/status/1380552551423086598?s=21

I saw this and thought of CF’s idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That sounds like a tremendously boring podcast since most of the time you wouldn't have much to talk about...