Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I think your best bet for a realistic carpet texture at 28mm scale would be velour paper, but another option I haven't seen mentioned yet that might read better at such a small scale is doing a patterned rug, like this:

This is a pattern printed on matte inkjet paper, then spraymounted onto plasticard and very lightly scuffed up with a wire brush. It's a technique used for miniature prop work on movies / fancy museum dioramas, etc. and you could skip the entire weathering step if you're looking for a fresher look, but I don't think you'll find a more realistic technique at this scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Cross post from the GW specialized games thread since I finished the bases

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Dark Angels 100pt kill team done. Decided on them because I have all these Indomitus Space Marines but I didn't want to paint up any chapters who were loyal to the emperor :snoop:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Apparently terminator arms look fine on assault intercessors Wolf Guard with jump packs

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Booyah! Missed out on the first batch, but managed to snag two of the Artists Proof with the different gun. Now I've got to think of a diorama scene to stick them in after they're painted. I was thinking something compact; a blasted up building corner, one of them down on a knee firing around the corner, the other behind him waving in more troops from off-scene, or taking a vox message.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I finished magnetizing all the weapon options for my Wraithguard.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Funzo posted:

I finished magnetizing all the weapon options for my Wraithguard.

You have more patience than I. I magnetized my wraithlord's guns but nothing else and my wraithguard are zero magnets.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Verisimilidude posted:

I was a little wary of this sculpt but it actually painted up pretty nice!

x-post from the mini printing thread

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Xposting from SpecGames:
Zarshia Bittersoul (with a head swap), that's Khagra's Ravagers 3/4 done!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Xposting from SpecGames:
Zarshia Bittersoul (with a head swap), that's Khagra's Ravagers 3/4 done!

this owns, where's that helm from?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Chainrasp champion!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Booyah! Missed out on the first batch, but managed to snag two of the Artists Proof with the different gun. Now I've got to think of a diorama scene to stick them in after they're painted. I was thinking something compact; a blasted up building corner, one of them down on a knee firing around the corner, the other behind him waving in more troops from off-scene, or taking a vox message.

I mean, the choice of diorama is pretty obvious!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

why was a radio photoshopped in

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You guys know where I can bulk buy makeup brushes in the same size? I only see variety packs on amazon and they only have a handful that are useful.

Would a makeup supply store have stuff like this?

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

If you have Dollar Tree in your area it's a great place to get makeup brushes, nail files, mod podge, and tacky glue,.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

If you have Dollar Tree in your area it's a great place to get makeup brushes, nail files, mod podge, and tacky glue,.

I was planning on going there this weekend to get some terrain building stuff so I'll keep my eye out for cheap makeup brushes

Edit:

Can you use weathering pigments for drybrushing? this feels like such a "yes" answer but I wanna double check

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 8, 2021

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Threw together a really basic 100pt Necron Kill Team and painted them up tonight. I still have so many Necrons to paint for my 40k army but this helped with a chunk of them :)

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
What are the "easiest" and "hardest" to paint warhammer armies? I keep hearing Tyranids are a nightmare. How real is this?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

What are the "easiest" and "hardest" to paint warhammer armies? I keep hearing Tyranids are a nightmare. How real is this?

I think it's mainly a question of personal preference. Do you want to paint a horde of smaller, less detailed models, or fewer, more detailed models? Do you want to paint more skin, cloth, or metal?

Generally horde armies with tons of small models are seen as tougher to paint, just by the sheer amount of models. I don't know what Tyranid armies look like nowadays but I'm guessing the reputation comes from having to paint a bunch of the smaller termagants/hormagaunts. Skin is usually seen as harder to paint compared to cloth/metal as well.

I'm currently batch painting 20 grots and if I wanted to make a list with them I'd need like 60-120 of them. They're fairly simple tiny models but that's gonna take a lot of time if I want them to be pretty.

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 8, 2021

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I do think Tyranids could be the perfect contrast paint army though I haven't tried it?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I haven't painted many armies but Space Marines seem like a good balance. They don't have a huge amount of units (compared to Necrons or Tyranids), you don't have to paint much faces if you put their helmets on, they have a lot of flat surface and the edges they do have are pretty sharp, making that step easier. And of course you can find a gazillion tutorials everywhere. Stormcasts are the same.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I've painted like 3 tyranid armies and 2 space hulk sets and they can be very easy to pump out quickly with nice results, even with lots of gants/gaunts/Genestealers.

the textures lend themselves well to washes/contrast paint and dry brushing. they don't have endless cables/pouches/straps and the weapons are painted the same as the fleshy bits and carapace. this also means you don't spend much time going back and painting things you missed.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Necrons can be as easy or as hard as you want them to be, priming them with leadbelcher and doing a wash over that is like 80% of the model for my army, the rest is just the gun, shoulders and glowy bits on warriors, more elite ones get more love ofc

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Without an airbrush, I think tau is one of the harder ones. There is some preference to it as well. Larger, non metallic, flat’ish surfaces is hardest for me, but generally models with a lot of detail that need picking out is kinda hard as well.

I think necrons is the easiest to make look pretty okay. Spray can of lead belcher with a nuln oil wash, and they’re pretty much good to go. Add some copper/bronze detail here and there + some glowing for eyes and weapons, and it looks great.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

My local GW has a diorama competition going and I thought I'd take a stab at it. Turns out you can get surprisingly far with spackle and packaging foam (the mushrooms are Kromlech).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I feel like Nids can be as difficult as you want them to be? Carapace, boney bits, fleshy bits, tongue and teeth. Have at it. You can do some insanely elaborate stuff with them, but I don't think there's a lot of variance in the things you're painting on any given model. Not a ton of different textures IMO.

No idea what I would say is the easiest. I feel like Death Guard are one of the more difficult ones; you've got plate, flesh, leather, bone, tentacles, spikey bits, a lot of variance in backpack styles, faces protruding out of armor, cloth and chainmail, skulls and severed heads... There are so many different things. On the flip side, you can shrug off mediocre painting skills by saying, "Well Nurlge is supposed to be dirty and gross and grungy" :v:

But just looking at a box of Plague Marines vs Assault Intercessors... They seem to have much less variance between any given model. Same shoulders, same knees, same backpacks, they all have their standard winged-skull on the chest, some pouches and their flasks and then a couple different weapons. There is still some variance in textures between armor, skin, leather and guns but each model kinda has the same things.

edit: ^^^ Yea that diorama owns! Just had the idea that some teal LEDs under the mushroom caps providing a really soft under glow could be hella cool too. I wanna make a diorama for my Shokkjump Dragsta but I don't know where to even begin

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 8, 2021

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Winklebottom posted:

My local GW has a diorama competition going and I thought I'd take a stab at it. Turns out you can get surprisingly far with spackle and packaging foam (the mushrooms are Kromlech).

Hell yeah dude that looks great. Really ties them all together. Let us know how you did and what other people made.

Hope you place well or even win

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Hell yeah dude that looks great. Really ties them all together. Let us know how you did and what other people made.

Hope you place well or even win

Thanks! The comp is in June so I'm a bit early but I'll make sure to report :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Did some Epic vehicles and now I want to weather them. The infantry is on city rubble bases, so I want to do matching concrete dust on the treads and lower hull.

My question is how? Grey paint seems like a mistake, and I haven't handled pigments with any regularity.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

moths posted:

Did some Epic vehicles and now I want to weather them. The infantry is on city rubble bases, so I want to do matching concrete dust on the treads and lower hull.

My question is how? Grey paint seems like a mistake, and I haven't handled pigments with any regularity.

I know gently caress all about painting, as is evidence but my beginner paint jobs posted earlier, but what if you go grab a hunk of concrete or like a cinder block or something, grind / scrape some of it into a powder, mix that with paint medium, and put it on there. Would that do anything. That seems like it would be.... something...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just patched up some damage to my concrete stairs, so I have unmixed cement left over. Raw cement as weathering powder feels wrong, but I'll try it on a something else first.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

moths posted:

I just patched up some damage to my concrete stairs, so I have unmixed cement left over. Raw cement as weathering powder feels wrong, but I'll try it on a something else first.

I feel like thats going to be a bad idea tbh. scale of the powder is going to be drastically off from epic scale miniatures, I'm no expert in DIY, but I feel like applying cement to your figures will ruin a brush pretty drat quick. If you want a cheap weathering powder just get a chalk/artists pastel the right colour (close as you can easily find to your existing rubble bases but I think a basic light grey will probably do) and grind it up, voila, a weathering powder which wont set like... well, concrete if you get it wet by accident.

My instinct would be to just give 'em a heavy wash to the bottom of the hull then drybrush over where you watched them with a light grey. They're what, 6mm scale? At tabletop distances I'm pretty sure that'll look fine. I'm not a weathering expert though, someone else will probably give you better advice

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

"Hardest" armies to paint would probably be Admech / Genestealer cult, strictly from a "lots of models to paint and they all have lots of fiddly details." Then there's also stuff like Death Guard which are not difficult in the sense that you can basically basecoat them and give them some washes to make them look totally gross and table-top ready, but painting them to a high standard is quite difficult because there are so many textures / details / bits of visual clutter that it's very easy to make them way too busy if you don't have a good grasp of stuff like color theory and contrast.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I think they're infinitely easier to paint than space marines personally. Their organic design means you don't have to do as many tiny little armor details, you just pick your scheme and go to town.

Also Tyranids are the only case where I've felt confident doing free-hand painting, I give my tyranids little hashes or blots of ink in order to make them look more like organic animals (stripes, spots, chitin, etc.) , and it looks fantastic. Easy peasy.

I think easiest is Necrons, you can just base coat and drybrush and be DONE. And they look reasonably good too. A bunch of metal necrons is on-model. (You can of course make Necrons harder if you want, going with more exotic necron schemes with the jade greens and stuff)

I think hardest is Marines or Admech. Just a lot of little things they have on their belts and stuff. You *can* just basecoat those all but it looks meh, I always feel a need to paint the belt and grenades and shoes and belt buckle and augur-scope and backpack antenna, all that stuff in different colors, which makes it take forever just to get some basic layers down.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 8, 2021

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

moths posted:

There must be some grey pigments in the usual brands? You could also use a tiny, tiny sponge and apply some stippling effect?

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

moths posted:

I wouldn't recommend it. Cement mix is caustic as all hell - you'll likely ruin the miniatures.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The actual cement power is ridiculously fine, but yeah it's not 100% safe to work with and my gut tells me it's a mistake.

Thanks everybody, I'm going to grind up a pastel crayon or hunt for conventional powders.

So for adhesion, is the best technique to use some clear matte medium and sprinkle it on?

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Basically what everyone else has said is on the ball. Tyranids are only problematic if you consider numbers needed as 'hard.' I did some test models in contrast recently; classic Space Hulk colours with Shyish Purple/Leviadon Blue, plus Flesh Tearers Red weapons on gants for extra 2nd edition, and it feels like a solid base, although very easy to get that nasty contrast pooling look if you aren't careful. Then I discovered a forgotten box where I had about 40 older models painted in a different scheme I'd tried, which I like much more now that I've seen it again, arse.

You can also make painting an Ork horde absolute hell for yourself if you insist on freehanding checks onto at least one surface on every model and picking out all the straps and buckles in a different colour from the base like an idiot (i.e. me) versus maybe just painting the top half and bottom half and bottom half in two different shades and just letting the wash pick out the straps.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

moths posted:

The actual cement power is ridiculously fine, but yeah it's not 100% safe to work with and my gut tells me it's a mistake.

Thanks everybody, I'm going to grind up a pastel crayon or hunt for conventional powders.

So for adhesion, is the best technique to use some clear matte medium and sprinkle it on?

Pigment powders might make this easier. In any case use a cheap makeup brush. I like Elf for the price.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The real answer for budget weathering / pigment powders is to find some dry pastels (usually a couple bucks in the art section of your local Walmart / Michaels) and scrape them with your exacto knife. Same exact stuff the expensive powders are made from and you get way more + a huge variety of colors. Mixing a few different tones together gets you a much more realistic and more visually interesting look, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Sisters, Ad.mec and harlequins are probably some of the harder ones.
Easiest is Necrons followed by custodes.
Marines are beginner friendly but you can take them to insane levels like deathwatch.
Nids, orcs and imperial guard are probably harder on the psyche than the skill. Again you can probably spend a great deal on individuals or you can just hurry through them.