Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1379972887881322498

somebody mentioned this but i thought it was a joke

it isnt really since caitlyn jenner has an actual serious chance of becoming governor what with the california democrats are blackballing any of their own people from running and whatever vague liberal word association candidate that manages to be on the ballot could easily hoover up half the vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Why? Maybe Jenner is paying out of pocket and paying well for consultants?

Seems weird for a Trump true believer to get behind Jenner. Or for Jenner to even bother in the first place.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

MorrisBae posted:

Defunding public education and giving every child a gun is a winning ticket in hellworld

mahshallah

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

the Tea Party of 22/24 is going to be Q Moms and they're going to be essentially unstoppable lmao

Yup, the game was rigged from the start, Jack.

*biden shoots a gun at my face*

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i would like to take a moment to appreciate that in addition to not using their supermajority to pass good legislation california democrats also didnt use it to pass legislation to make the recall laws not stupid newsom could get a forty nine percent vote of confidence to stay while the new governor chudnificent could come into office with just ten

Rectal Death Deft
Jan 10, 2020

by Nyc_Tattoo

spacemang_spliff posted:

nichael did more to hurt shitlibs than any of you cowards did lol

no Jess Scarane would not have ushered in a communist utopia but she would have ended Chris Racialslur's career which would have been inarguably good

Well as long as they aren't republicans i guess better things aren't possible

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Why? Maybe Jenner is paying out of pocket and paying well for consultants?

Seems weird for a Trump true believer to get behind Jenner. Or for Jenner to even bother in the first place.

Because I've already seen right wingers cackle and go "haha stupid lefties now you have to vote for her or your transphobic!"

If you haven't yet gotten that the right wing voters only ideology is owning the libs, then you should really catch up quickly before MTG wins the primary.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Some Guy TT posted:

i would like to take a moment to appreciate that in addition to not using their supermajority to pass good legislation california democrats also didnt use it to pass legislation to make the recall laws not stupid newsom could get a forty nine percent vote of confidence to stay while the new governor chudnificent could come into office with just ten

California law allows ballot measures to overrule the legislature on rules governing ballot measures (which a recall petition counts as).

They have extremely "democratic" ballot measure laws, but they often lead to very stupid outcomes like passing laws that require the state legislature spend money on something, but forbidding raising taxes or issuing bonds.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

the Tea Party of 22/24 is going to be Q Moms and they're going to be essentially unstoppable lmao

Sarah Palin's only mistake was letting herself play second fiddle to a ghoul no one but Launchpad McQuack cares about

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

serious question tho who else can californians vote for if all the real democrats are boycotting the recall

not that voting for a real democrat is a good thing mind you but a lot of people are going to have their faith in the system crushed when theyre forced to either vote for a republican or a a vague name they remember seeing in a tabloid at a grocery store once

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Some Guy TT posted:

The same thing happened here in Colorado, much of our politics seems to be a lovely copy of California Democrats. The 2011 redistricting fight made the Colorado 1st and 2nd districts so solidly blue they aren't even worth talking about ever again, while the 3rd and 4th got shifted heavily towards Lauren Boebert territory. This was all done by the Dems who had control at the time, they just want their little career feifdoms to be safe at any cost.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Some Guy TT posted:

serious question tho who else can californians vote for if all the real democrats are boycotting the recall

not that voting for a real democrat is a good thing mind you but a lot of people are going to have their faith in the system crushed when theyre forced to either vote for a republican or a a vague name they remember seeing in a tabloid at a grocery store once

There's about 12 candidates declared right now. 3 major Republicans and a bunch of randos.

There's no major progressive candidate in the race yet.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

California law allows ballot measures to overrule the legislature on rules governing ballot measures (which a recall petition counts as).

They have extremely "democratic" ballot measure laws, but they often lead to very stupid outcomes like passing laws that require the state legislature spend money on something, but forbidding raising taxes or issuing bonds.

i find it very difficult to believe that they had the political capitol necessary to get jungle primaries but not to fix the dumb recall laws that we know have been dumb for the past twenty years and which are only ever discussed in the context of wow these recall laws are really dumb

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Some Guy TT posted:

i find it very difficult to believe that they had the political capitol necessary to get jungle primaries but not to fix the dumb recall laws that we know have been dumb for the past twenty years and which are only ever discussed in the context of wow these recall laws are really dumb

Yeah, not defending inaction on it. Just saying that California's ballot measure rules are wild and the legislature can actually amend them, but a ballot measure to unamend them could pass as long as it is within 2 years.

The jungle primary was also a ballot measure.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

sexpig by night posted:

Without going into the definition of what "lying" is, is everything in a campaign platform even a "promise"? Or is it just a statement of a policy position? Aren't we infantilizing politics a little if we make every policy preference into a "promise"? (E: This is separate from issues where a candidate specifically says, "I promise...", which is a promise, of course.)

There's also a matter that I think applies to governing in a way that it doesn't to campaigning: once somebody is actually in office, there is a strong disincentive to say "I really want this to happen and I am going to do everything I can to make it happen" when you might not be able to succeed. It makes you look "weak" to voters (or maybe something like "a liar" to some voters!) What this means is that Presidents will sometimes appear to care less about an issue if they know they won't be able to address it. This didn't really apply to the last four years because the President's brain was a puddle and he was unable to apply basic PR strategies to his administration because actual PR strategies aren't based around soothing the ego of a single toxic narcissist.

The downside, of course, is that it makes it less likely that you will achieve difficult things. But if Biden was pushing hard for $15/hour that would probably be reflected more in his private conversations with legislators, until he was at a point where he was pretty sure he had the means to pass it, at which point it would become the greatest idea ever and something we desperately need and you're welcome for giving it to you.

As far as EOs, Biden already did pretty much all he could regarding minimum wage when he signed an EO to raise the minimum wage for federal workers to $15/hr.

I'd be very receptive to the argument joe biden is incapable of lying anymore because anyone that deep in the throes of dementia doesn't know what's real or not.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

when u think about it california is at the end of history and will never elect a republican ever again so do we really need to fix the recall laws just because they give the republicans a massive handicap that wouldnt be very sporting

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also, ballot measures were made part of the constitution via ballot measure.

So, you'd need a state constitutional amendment to restrict ballot measures and that amendment could be repealed at any time via a ballot measure.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

So, you'd need a state constitutional amendment to restrict ballot measures and that amendment could be repealed at any time via a ballot measure.

working as intended!

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

mastershakeman posted:

Two minutes later I got this email from healthcare.gov, they are reading the forums

You have got to be kidding me. They apparently made it so you don't have to file an amended tax return for the unemployment change, but you have to redo this? And it's going to gently caress up the healthcare for my kid too with how it reroutes him for a denial (that takes 2-6 months) from the state

I assume this is going to get all sorted next tax year when doing the premium claw backs, it's probably easier to just wait for that than do extra applications in this horrible system

You don't have to file an amended return but you might want to because without that ten grand extra income you might get like the eitc. It's really dumb that they can only calculate like half of the poo poo they need to.

Whatever I'm getting like 1200 back once they process that unemployment poo poo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

surely you could remove ballot measures in their entirety?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

hobbesmaster posted:

surely you could remove ballot measures in their entirety?

Yes, but they have 2 years to pass a ballot measure overturning it. If they pass a constitutional amendment via the legislature and it survives for 2 years, then you'd be good.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i forget is lisa murkowski succ

https://twitter.com/DavidJHarrisJr/status/1379177025001381888

lets just assume she is for the sake of argument

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eggplant Squire posted:

The British press is also a disaster and at a certain point you can't blame voters when there's an omnipresent messaging campaign against them.

Part of me suspects that media/propaganda have just evolved to the point where it's literally impossible to create large enough movements against mainstream institutions. It's one thing to have propaganda directly identified as coming from the government, and having it limited to published newspapers and newsreels and stuff, but it's another entirely to have it be omnipresent in a society where people are exposed to media nearly constantly.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Some Guy TT posted:

She's an independent who caucuses with the republicans. She's the last gasp of centrism in the republican party.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

really queer Christmas posted:

If you haven't yet gotten that the right wing voters only ideology is owning the libs,

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Fun hospital/aca story from yesterday, I was on a morphine drip when the registration people came in and asked for me to pay the subsidized!! $500 copay

And I said sure and signed but I should fight it for fun just because hey, morphine

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

really queer Christmas posted:

She's an independent who caucuses with the republicans. She's the last gasp of centrism in the republican party.

ha ha what a bunch of dummies why with a policy of actively driving moderates out of the party theyll get ridiculous election results like

checks notes

oh no

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Part of me suspects that media/propaganda have just evolved to the point where it's literally impossible to create large enough movements against mainstream institutions. It's one thing to have propaganda directly identified as coming from the government, and having it limited to published newspapers and newsreels and stuff, but it's another entirely to have it be omnipresent in a society where people are exposed to media nearly constantly.

It's been this way for decades, and it is literally impossible to create a movement against power because of it. Bernie is the perfect example: all of left/mainstream media went with "he's good, but is he?? kinda sus" at best or "he's gonna execute me in central park" at worst. At the same time RW media went with "he's awful! but maybe he's got a few good points" to whip the base and throw out a few feelers to see if anybody would bite. Soon we'll get a bit more class conscious republicans, to try and feed some of the disaffected into their machine. it's all hopeless until things really start to crack lol

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Some Guy TT posted:

The Trumpire Strikes Back

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Josh Christ posted:

You don't have to file an amended return but you might want to because without that ten grand extra income you might get like the eitc. It's really dumb that they can only calculate like half of the poo poo they need to.

Whatever I'm getting like 1200 back once they process that unemployment poo poo.
some goon yelled at me in the Chicago thread and linked to a source saying the irs already has all your info and will adjust to the proper tax rate and get you the extra refund for that 1-2k

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

mastershakeman posted:

some goon yelled at me in the Chicago thread and linked to a source saying the irs already has all your info and will adjust to the proper tax rate and get you the extra refund for that 1-2k

Got a link? I saw they were going to get you the refund on the taxes on your unemployment but they weren't going to be figuring out if you qualified for any new credits as a result of the change in income.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Some Guy TT posted:

friends friends were all forgetting the actual worst thing aoc has done

https://twitter.com/TrueCrimePoli/status/1379995773790793736

give the chuds a template to speedrun her celebrity power but use it to actually do stuff instead of sell merch

Hah good luck ever getting rid of her now.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Josh Christ posted:

Got a link? I saw they were going to get you the refund on the taxes on your unemployment but they weren't going to be figuring out if you qualified for any new credits as a result of the change in income.

Oh I gotcha , I think the credits didn't come up

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lmao the entire republican caucus is going to be insane Q moms by 2030

also

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1380165912578420742

gently caress this piece of poo poo. I'm glad his dumbass lost by screaming like a buffoon

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

mastershakeman posted:

Oh I gotcha , I think the credits didn't come up

Yeah I found like a cnbc (lol) article with someone from the irs suggesting you file an amended return to see if you get any extra credits

Which I probably won't but yolo

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Josh Christ posted:

Yeah I found like a cnbc (lol) article with someone from the irs suggesting you file an amended return to see if you get any extra credits

Which I probably won't but yolo

Here's the guidance fwiw
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032498&pagenumber=1960&perpage=40&userid=0#post513431021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

spacemang_spliff posted:

lmao the entire republican caucus is going to be insane Q moms by 2030

also

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1380165912578420742

gently caress this piece of poo poo. I'm glad his dumbass lost by screaming like a buffoon

It's funny how this loving monster was like the "left" candidate in 2004 just because he was against the Iraq War.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

mcmagic posted:

It's funny how this loving monster was like the "left" candidate in 2004 just because he was against the Iraq War.

he gets real mad when you suggest that he's not the most left person ever lol

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Some Guy TT posted:

friends friends were all forgetting the actual worst thing aoc has done

https://twitter.com/TrueCrimePoli/status/1379995773790793736

give the chuds a template to speedrun her celebrity power but use it to actually do stuff instead of sell merch

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1379972887881322498

somebody mentioned this but i thought it was a joke

it isnt really since caitlyn jenner has an actual serious chance of becoming governor what with the california democrats are blackballing any of their own people from running and whatever vague liberal word association candidate that manages to be on the ballot could easily hoover up half the vote

Some Guy TT posted:

The first woman president that is elected at the top of a ticket will be a Trump republican.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Organ Fiend posted:

The first woman president that is elected at the top of a ticket will be a Trump republican.

Lol

it's going to be some blonde woman ranting about Moloch

lmao @ western democracy