Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Is this live because if it isn’t why on loving earth would you lead with this fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Stealth Tiger posted:

so is this fight over or what

yep, Eddie got DQ'd

this wouldn't have happened if his wife was in the building

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Getting your opponent to DQ themselves is the strongest base for MMA

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

lol poor eddie.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I love this cursed idiot sport.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
That was such a stupid ending and a bad decision. Yuri selling those nothing punches like a soccer player trying to draw a foul

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

please tell me this show isn't scheduled to go 90 minutes and they are going to talk to Eddie forever to kill time

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004
that interview was surreal

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Oh poo poo

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Oh, Mighty Mouse :negative:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
:( that's sad

And that final knee is brutal

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

keven was right all along

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
wow, I was actually caught off guard by the grounded knee to the face.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

oh so that’s legal

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

As it turns out, the losers in the trade was everyone.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

dj was saying those knees should be legal

https://twitter.com/MightyMouse/status/1368426811214864395

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I can say that it sucks to spend your whole career where that knee is illegal, then go somewhere it's perfectly legal. I get to say that, right?

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Poor DJ. Guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. And to a grounded knee, appropriately I guess.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

live by the sword die by the sword

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

eddie DQed, DJ dead, TNT's gotta be real happy about this debut

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
https://twitter.com/fenoxsky/status/1379986878393356290

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Also this

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Alaois posted:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Alaois posted:

lol

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Alaois posted:

nope

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DJ is and was right that those knees should be legal and this fight proves it. If a fighter leaves themselves in a position where that is available, their opponent should be able to take it.

Brutal KO though

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Josuke Higashikata posted:

DJ is and was right that those knees should be legal and this fight proves it. If a fighter leaves themselves in a position where that is available, their opponent should be able to take it.

Brutal KO though

Alternatively, and perhaps better for fighter safety, the rules could be changed to assert that if a fighter remains themselves in a position where only the rules are protecting them from e.g. taking a gigantic knee to the dome while grounded, or strikes to the back of the head, the ref maybe could call a TKO on the grounds that hiding behind a rule technicality isn't intelligent defense, and it's basically the equivalent of submitting.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I don't think refs should be trusted to (or expected to have the skill to) judge whether a position has that kind of "free shot" potential.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Alternatively, and perhaps better for fighter safety, the rules could be changed to assert that if a fighter remains themselves in a position where only the rules are protecting them from e.g. taking a gigantic knee to the dome while grounded, or strikes to the back of the head, the ref maybe could call a TKO on the grounds that hiding behind a rule technicality isn't intelligent defense, and it's basically the equivalent of submitting.

Absolutely not

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

I don't think refs should be trusted to (or expected to have the skill to) judge whether a position has that kind of "free shot" potential.

No? I'd just define it as any position where the attacking fighter has few legal targets and it would play out as "you can't stay in that position, you need to work your way out or I'm stopping this fight" just like the current TKO rules.

Admittedly it wouldn't cover last night's knee very well, but it certainly would cover what happened in the Eddie Alvarez fight.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

CommonShore posted:

its gonna be a no from me, dawg

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

its gonna be a no from me, dawg

aight I'm tappin' out

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CommonShore posted:

No? I'd just define it as any position where the attacking fighter has few legal targets and it would play out as "you can't stay in that position, you need to work your way out or I'm stopping this fight" just like the current TKO rules.

What if the grounded fighter makes some half hearted punches to the could-be-kneeing fighter's thighs, or perfunctory ankle pick attempts without moving their base? Obviously the standing fighter has dominant position, but the grounded fighter is fighting back and attacking.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sometimes referees can't even tell if a fighter is knocked or choked out.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Sometimes referees can't even tell if a fighter is knocked or choked out.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Ryan Bader v Lyoto Machida is not a match I would've expectes in 2021.

I'm happy fight circus exists. Never been able to watch a card but I like they're around and keeping it weird.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Unlike the dreaded 12-6 elbow, knees, kicks and stomps to the head of a downed opponent are in fact exponentially more dangerous and should not be allowed if we value fighter health and career longevity.

It really grinds my gears when people (not necessarily here, but in general) don't understand the difference in the amount of force you are able to generate versus a standing and a prone opponent.

There's also the fact that downed fighters are often compromised in some way and will have worse defensive reactions than standing fighters. These factors add up, making knees, kicks and stomps to the head of a downed opponent much more dangerous than other (also dangerous) forms of attack.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Have you considered that knees and soccer kicks are loving cool though?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

That is undeniably true, so I guess it's a bit of a trade off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

goiti yamauchi is back in action tonight and i like that dude a whole bunch

go go goiti