Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

There's a skill called "provoke". Using it makes an enemy focus on the user. Some particularly stupid enemies forego a devastating attack on the whole group, just to gently slap Tidus, instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

There's a skill called "provoke". Using it makes an enemy focus on the user. Some particularly stupid enemies forego a devastating attack on the whole group, just to gently slap Tidus, instead.

I know what Provoke is, I just didn't know it worked on boss fights like that to make them cheesable.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Oh yeah, Tidus' entire thing is manipulating the actual battle system. He's not a time mage like most would think, he's all about turn and AI manipulation.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

cant cook creole bream posted:

... I know that FFX uses nearly every boss to introduce some mechanic or gimmick, but even with some serious grinding I didn’t get Provoke until the next area. I had no idea that was even practical.

Galick posted:

Oh yeah, Tidus' entire thing is manipulating the actual battle system. He's not a time mage like most would think, he's all about turn and AI manipulation.

I will always go to bat for FFX’s combat duty division system, especially since they divide up stat boosts and techniques in ways I’ll be exploring in an update or two:
  • Tidus manipulates turn order and boosts physical stats
  • Wakka inflicts status effects and boosts accuracy
  • Auron inflicts stat debuffs and tanks hits for vulnerable allies
  • Lulu deals elemental damage and boosts magic stats
  • Yuna heals, uses defensive magic, and summons Aeons for special situations
  • Rikku manipulates items, whether getting them out of enemies or using them in unusual ways, and boosts luck.
  • Kimahri complements your playstyle by adapting to whatever role you need more of, only worse.

Also, last chance on scene break suggestions

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

... I know that FFX uses nearly every boss to introduce some mechanic or gimmick, but even with some serious grinding I didn’t get Provoke until the next area. I had no idea that was even practical.

I don't remember having it at that point either. But I sure enough remember one enemy which gets completely destroyed by it.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

I will always go to bat for FFX’s combat duty division system, especially since they divide up stat boosts and techniques in ways I’ll be exploring in an update or two:
  • Tidus manipulates turn order and boosts physical stats
  • Wakka inflicts status effects and boosts accuracy
  • Auron inflicts stat debuffs and tanks hits for vulnerable allies
  • Lulu deals elemental damage and boosts magic stats
  • Yuna heals, uses defensive magic, and summons Aeons for special situations
  • Rikku manipulates items, whether getting them out of enemies or using them in unusual ways, and boosts luck.
  • Kimahri complements your playstyle by adapting to whatever role you need more of, only worse.

Also, last chance on scene break suggestions

I definitely vote for separating with a big line of __________________ or something. Makes it way more distinct!

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Behind the Scenes: Update Construction

Follow Me - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

Ay up, duckies! It’s me, your old mate Sinspawn Gui! Today we’ll be taking a look at the process of putting together an update for the LP.

Of course, the first thing you ought to do in a Let’s Play is play the game! This part isn’t much more complicated and doesn’t take that much longer than playing the game normally, though the wassock running this LP has a nasty habit of missing important shots and having to write their way around their mistakes. They end up hammering the screen capture button during cutscenes and still missing material despite filling up there microSD card with unusable shots like this one.

Worth noting: I play between one and three updates-worth of game ahead of what I’ve written; better to figure out what I have to anticipate and write towards. I’ve been burned by unexpected developments too many times not to keep an eye out for that.

Crusader: Sorry, ma’am! No exceptions!

Dona: Useless!

That’s the easy part. Once they got a good idea of what they’ll be covering, Falconier111 sits down and actually writes the update. This is by far the most time-consuming part of the process; it usually takes 1 to 3 days, often on the lower end of the scale but sometimes even longer. Let’s take a look at the process a little bit closer, eh?
  • 1: Plaintext. The simplest part, of course; they just write in the first person about whatever takes their fancy. You’ll see most commentary and discussion formatted like this.
  • 2: Images. While actually adding them in comes later, Falconier111 marks where images go in the text with parens to keep track of them. Sometimes which image goes where is obvious, but when it isn’t, they label the parens with of word or two to jot their memory.
  • 3: Dialogue. That’s what we’re doing here, yeah? Falconier sets dialogue lines off from plaintext with them little portraits there in the finest LP tradition. Those portraits are usually taken from concept art by cutting out the head in Paint and shrinking it into a 60x60px image, though they’ve been known to make mistakes – just look at me own 50x50 mug! They won’t actually put the portraits in until later in the process, though. Falconier sometimes finds it harder to write dialogue than plaintext, so sometimes they set aside a whole scene to write once the rest of the update is done. They didn’t bother showing that process off here.
  • 4: Quoted dialogue. For all that this wanker likes to pretend they’re rewriting the whole game, most of this LP’s dialogue is borrowed straight from the complete script as taken from this website; if you don’t mind loads and loads of spoilers, you can head over there and read up on information fished directly out of Japanese sources in the parts that don’t record every single part of the FFX script. That script uses a different format than the document, though, so copy-pasted text stands out like a sore thumb. Thank goodness Something Awful doesn’t carry format! By the way, Falconier thought that a quote box would make that dialogue stick out in this post, the pillock, but removed it when it didn't work.
  • 5: Music. These links are copied straight from Youtube and carry their format with them. In this LP, Falconier puts them up every time a new track shows up or a track shows up a second time so they can show off the other version; in their last LP, they rolled a track out every time they felt it’d add something to the scene. Personal preference, I suppose.
  • 6: Formatting (unlabeled because it’s everywhere). If you’re posting here, you probably know what BBCode is; to save time and editing, Falconier’s memorized the most common bits of coding and writes them directly into the text as they go. Same with smilies, for that matter. Easier that way.

A final note on formatting: I divide every element of the text with at least a little white space, whether putting spaces between portraits and text, lines between paragraphs and images, or breaking up scenes with an ellipsis (soon to be dashes). Cramming everything together in big paragraphs or stacking things on top of each other doesn’t exactly help readability. The only exceptions I allow are putting portraits next to each other without breaks when characters all say the same thing and leaving ellipses right next to portraits, since that’s how the dictation software works.

And the fact that you can’t even be arsed to do that shows just how lazy you are! Once Falconier finishes the first draft of the update and does a lightning-quick pass through the document to make sure everything’s in the right place, they go back and start adding in images and tightening up the text. Think of it like the mother of all editing passes.
  • The core of the process is adding images one by one. First off, they secure access to whatever device they’re getting the screenshots off of and open up the folder they’ll store them in; they usually have things displayed in reverse chronological order to make them more easily accessible and have them display extra-large images to make them easier to examine. To keep everything properly organized, they save images in batches of nine to a designated folder, then upload each batch image by image to this site and copying the code into the document, pausing between batches to check things over. They use a standard format for organizing images: a letter or name indicating the LP, the update number, a space, a letter indicating the batch, and the image number within the batch. So, for one of the earlier updates in this LP, you might find an image entitled x21 d3; that means that image belongs in the 21st episode of the Final Fantasy X LP and went up as the third image in the fourth batch. Usually, an update has enough images to make it into batch f or maybe batch g.
  • As they add the images, they also edit things in depth. I’m not just talking fixing up grammar or wording; Falconier111 often adds or removes entire sections of dialogue and exposition. Both of Yuna’s speeches in the last update, for example, were rewritten entirely in this stage. Music links usually make it into the text at this point, too.
  • They also have to make sure every line of dialogue has the right portrait. Adding portraits is easy; they simply use find/replace on capital letters followed by colons at the beginning of sentences (as you saw in the earlier diagram); each letter is assigned to a character, and each letter/colon gets replaced by the appropriate code from the second post (or, if Falconier’s recently used the portrait, they can dig into the drop-down menu in the replace bar and find the previously-used code there). They have to go into the options part of the find/replace window and make sure they check “match case”, though. Otherwise they might end up with portraits in the middle of random lines, and nobody likes that. When possible, Falconier saves this for last; best not to have to do multiple find/replace passes.
  • To keep everything in order, from time to time Falconier removes formatting from the whole document via the letter-with-an-eraser icon on the Home menu; best to get rid of leftovers from the script or Youtube that way. They aim for around 1500 words of text not counting pictures or eight pages of 11-point text in the word document, though they usually run substantially over that. Anything beyond 2000 words tends to get cut down or split up between updates.

This whole process usually takes me 2 to 4 hours, often because the laborious process of moving images onto and off of Lpix stresses my arms and forces me to take breaks.

Eventually, the update looks like this. At this point, it’s ready to get copy-pasted into a Something Awful reply box for the final editing pass! Each revision is actually made in the word document based on whatever issues they find in the post preview; better to keep tabbing between them and copy-paste the word doc's contents in periodically than get lost scrolling up and down in the preview page. Everything else was writing; this part is practically coding since this is the only step where they actually check to make sure all the BBCode lines up. If you notice any silly mistakes that pop up in the update, that’s because Falconier’s probably tired of working on the update but can’t force themsens to stop this close to the finish line. Editing’s boring, grinding work, lads! Eventually, they give up, declare it done, and hit post.

And with that, the thread has a new update! Falconier often gives it another pass to spot any obvious errors because no launch is ever perfect, but at this point they’re probably exhausted and maybe a bit puddled, so the check is pretty perfunctory. In theory, they should link to each update in the OP, but that requires them to put in even more effort than it took to get here. But hey! You get an average of maybe 900 words a day. That’s nae bad!

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 4, 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That's a pretty good workflow. The two LPs I made stabs at were a JRPG driving game (fallen quite thoroughly into archives) and a turn-based survival roguelike, so I typically didn't need to be quick on the screenshot key and could write updates as I was playing. Go for a few turns, take screenshots where appropriate, write what happened, repeat. I'd use IrfanView to batch convert screenshots into a manageable size and format where possible, and GIMP to edit down others for detail and to isolate headshots. Since recording video of a turn-based game is not great, if I needed animation I'd take several screenshots and stitch them into a GIF, which worked well sometimes:

but not others.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

I'm thinking about using ------------------------------------------------------------ as the page break format in future updates. So, for instance, this section from the last update would look like this:

Oh – before you go…

I beg your pardon. We Guado are keen to the scent of the Farplane. Think nothing of it.

------------------------------------------------------------

Yuna, the high summoner’s daughter. Seymour, the leader of the Guado. Married in the name of Yevon, overcoming the barriers of race once again. It would give Spira something good to talk about, for a change.

Sounds like a waste of time, like Auron says.

Yeah, I mean, marriage? We gotta defeat Sin. Marriage can wait!

… Maybe it can’t.

… If it would make people happy… Maybe I should do what I can. I never imagined doing anything like this. I won’t answer till I know what’s right.

You could always just quit your pilgrimage and get married...

Whatever else happens, I will continue the pilgrimage. I’m sure that Lord Seymour will understand.

Oh.

I’m going to go to the Farplane now… I’m going to see my father and think on this.

Go on, we’ll be right behind you.

(I didn’t want to say it out loud, but I couldn’t help but wonder why no one asked Yuna…)

(I wasn’t sure what I was missing.)

------------------------------------------------------------

After yet another brief break to wander around town…

Question!

Does that look good on everybody's screens? I'm considering adding another row of hyphens to break it up further, buut that might be overkill.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Make it twice as long. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ is much harder to miss than ------------------------------------------------------------.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think that length works well. The scene break I've been familiar with has always used three asterisks, like so:

I think any more complex and you'd be into "Might as well use ASCII art" territory.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 5, 2021

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Make it twice as long. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ is much harder to miss than ------------------------------------------------------------.

That’s way too long for mobile, though. It just looks like stacked lines...

You know what?

gently caress it, let’s just use an image; natural line breaks give it plenty of space to stick out and it adapts to screen size. Bonus: it’s centered

E: this should probably be moved to tech support/sandcastle lol

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 5, 2021

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Obviously the solution is to go back to 2013 or so, and have a long string of emotes as your scene break. Bonus for animated ugly ones.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Black Robe posted:

Obviously the solution is to go back to 2013 or so, and have a long string of emotes as your scene break. Bonus for animated ugly ones.

double bonus if you reach the post smilie cap and the latter half of your update becomes an unreadable blur of :v: and the like

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
The three ellipses/asterisks is perfectly fine and commonly understood as a scene break.

quote:

In [Piers Anthony's novel in the Xanth series]Isle of View, it is revealed that summoning the stork will release an "ellipsis" (...) into the air to fly off to the stork. This is a play on the joke that all the "adult" things happen after a paragraph ends in an ellipsis. Most inductees actually discover the specifics of the act "by accident" after marriage, or under the influence of a love spring (a magical spring which causes two drinkers, not necessarily human, or even of the same species, to fall madly, and lustfully, in love with one another at first sight).

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Zerbin7 posted:

The three ellipses/asterisks is perfectly fine and commonly understood as a scene break.

I don't think invoking a skeezy Piers Anthony quote (adjective redundant) is helping your case here.

That said, sometimes a simple solution is enough, no need to overthink or overengineer this.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Explopyro posted:

I don't think invoking a skeezy Piers Anthony quote (adjective redundant) is helping your case here.

That said, sometimes a simple solution is enough, no need to overthink or overengineer this.

There’s very little in this world that I don’t overengineer or overthink.

Black Robe posted:

The worst part of that would be going back to 2013.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 28: Nice Knowing You

This one is extra long since a huge chunk is me basically copy-pasting text from the script to show something off.

49-Guadosalam-FFX OST

Was that really Jyscal?

I don’t understand how a man like Lord Jyscal could die and not be sent.

… But he stayed on Spira. Something, a powerful emotion could have bound him to this world. Such things happen.

Isn’t that, like, against the rules?

It means he died an unclean death.

Jyscal is the Guado’s problem, not yours.

No. I’m going inside.

… Then we wait.

The following cutscene is one of the first times where affection, one of Final Fantasy X’s hidden mechanics, comes into play. The game keeps track of Tidus’s interactions with other party members and assigns numerical values to them. Tidus heals them in combat? Slight boost. Tidus talks to them first when they’re all lounging around somewhere? Modest boost. You find a hidden cutscene involving them? Major boost. Tidus attacks them in combat for whatever reason? Minor penalty. For example, remember when we got the option to pray at the statue in Besaid? If I remember right, choosing to pray boosts Yuna’s affection and refusing boosts Lulu’s. As the game goes on, characters’ affection rates rise and fall depending on how much attention both the player and Tidus gives them.

So what does it do? Somewhere between jack and poo poo, mechanically speaking. The only thing it does in combat is alter the animation of one of Tidus’s Overdrives. Outside of combat, the game will occasionally pick between cutscenes depending on which character has the highest affection, but that doesn’t change anything other than dialogue – and for some reason, those cutscenes almost always feature one of the female party members and involve him hitting on them in some fashion. Lulu is the easiest character to grind affection for by a significant margin, so when one of these optional cutscenes pops up, most players see Lulu’s and never realize there’re alternatives. It’s such a niche and insignificant mechanic it’s kind of baffling they put the effort into including it in the first place, but a weird mixture of excellent and terrible design decisions is par for the course for this game.

Anyway, I got Lulu’s scene.

So, uh… Hey.

What?

What do you think of Yuna getting married?

Seriously? That’s it? What if she doesn’t even like the guy?

People marry for many reasons. Sometimes marriage doesn’t require love, you know? Defeat Sin, and bring joy to the people of Spira. Get married, and bring joy to the people of Spira. For Yuna, they’re just two ways down the same road. All you need is determination. If you have that, you don’t need love.

Man, that is cold. Do you really think that’s the main reason why she should get married?

Listen. If she is to marry, I would want her to marry for love. But… If Yuna said she wanted to marry the one she loves, I would have to object.

I know. Don’t think too much about it.

That’s about as far as I made it through the affection content here; Lulu and Rikku both get three separate scenes, and only I hit up Lulu’s first two (before editing them to fit with the rest of the LP). For context, I’ll go ahead and upload the part of her dialogue I missed plus Rikku’s equivalents. Consider the above canon and the below illustrative text.

Lulu’s third scene posted:

Lulu…

I’ve talked enough about that.

What?

I’m sorry, just forget about it.

Geez! Grumpy!

You’ll understand one of these days. I just don’t want to give it words. Not yet. …I shouldn’t have to say this, but don’t fall in love with her.

->Okay.
That’s fine, then.

->Too late.
I see. But… you must keep your feelings inside, until the pilgrimage is over.

->You’re more my type, Lulu.
Interesting. I suppose I could add you to my list. I wish you good luck, little boy. You’re going to need it.

Rikku’s first scene posted:

Yunie’s not getting married, is she?

Seems that way.

It’s your big chance, huh?

->I don’t care.
That’s no thing to say! I think she should get married and stop being a summoner.

You serious?

Yeah.

Why?

Because it’s tough, you know? In the end, she has to fight Sin.

Yeah, but she… She would never marry someone who wanted her to quit.

:sigh: I guess you’re right. Too bad.

->I guess you’re right.
Ho-ho! That’s the way to go! Then, you could take her away and live a quiet life somewhere. Yeah, sounds good to me!

You serious?

(Dialogue is the same as above until the end of the scene.)

->I’d rather have you, Rikku.
Oh! H-honest?

She laughs, then smacks him.

Ouch!

See ya!

Rikku’s second scene posted:

Say, you ever think about gettin’ married?

Me? No, never.

I think about it a lot.

Aren’t you a little young?

Some people marry really young in Spira, you know.

You mean people our age get married?

Yeah. Fiends are around, and there’s always Sin, right? One of them might get you, you know? Lots of people marry the first person they fall in love with, just like that!

Really?

I’ll probably be the same way.

Rikku’s third scene posted:

You an only child?

Yeah.

I got an older brother, myself.

Huh.

I wish I had some younger brothers and sisters, though…

So ask your parents.

Mom died… A machina went on a rampage…

I’m sorry.

When I get married, I’m gonna have lots of kids! That way they’ll all have brothers and sisters! What?

You’re really thinking about your future, aren’t you? :sigh: That’s great.

It’s pretty normal, I think. Hey, maybe Yuna’s back!

Affection scenes tend to be really rich in character development and worldbuilding, which makes it kind of disappointing that they’re locked off like that. But such is life, I suppose.

After a little while, Tidus wanders towards the exit into the next area.

Was the lady summoner not with you?

Nah, she’s at Seymour’s place right now.

That would be “Lord Seymour” or “Maester Seymour”.

Sorry.

That’s all right, but… Maester Seymour left Guadosalam a short while ago.

What, really? poo poo, I got go tell the others!

Yuna, come on out, something happened!

Oh!

Macalania Temple.

He doesn’t say “aye” as in yes. He sings it like it’s part of a song. Seriously. They reference the Macarena in Final Fantasy X :psyduck:.

Why would the lord maester head off without a peep to anyone?

Maybe he wasn’t expecting Yuna’s answer so soon.

Oh, that sounds about right.

Yuna.

I-It’s nothing.

You’re a poor liar.

Come on, let’s go!

Final Fantasy X HD Remaster OST 50. Thunder Plateau

Thunder echoes across the plains…

… As lightning bolts rain down.

How are we supposed to cross that?

See the lightning rod towers? The lightning is drawn to them… Hopefully.

We head north, not too near and not too far from the towers, ya?

Meaning we should avoid wide, open areas.

Lightning strikes, and Rikku flinches again.

Welcome to the Thunder Plains, one of the most annoying areas in the game. For once, it’s not the monsters. I mean, they’re hardly easy to deal with, but they don’t pack any nasty tricks, their near-universal Water weakness makes Watertouch and Lulu’s Watera quite potent, and at least in the early part you don’t have to face down any minibosses like the Ochu.

No, it’s annoying because lightning strikes at random and unless you press the right button the moment the screen flashes, it knocks you on your rear end. Unless you’re a freak of nature or a robot, you will never be able to dodge every lightning strike, which means every several seconds you’ll be sent flying backward (and by backward, I mean it always pushes you towards Guadosalam). And there’s nothing you can do about it :argh:.

Every character has an Ultimate Weapon, a unique piece of equipment with potentially game-breaking bonuses. Thing is, none of them come with those bonuses unlocked, and in fact all of their base forms suck. To get them working, you have to find a Sigil and a Crest for each; we’ve already stumbled across a few Crests, by the way, which I’ve tried to note in the narrative. In order to get Lulu’s Sigil, you have to dodge 200 lightning bolts in a row before checking a chest further into the area.

:iiam:

I will not be getting Lulu’s Ultimate Weapon. I know I’ve been leaning towards completionism as the LP goes on, but I’m not going to gently caress up my tendons for something I’ll probably never use. There is a workaround for this:

SoundwaveAU posted:

There's an exploit you can do for the 200 lightning bolts. There's a certain crater and if you approach from a certain angle, lightning will literally always go off at the same time. Of course human error can still play a part, I should know as I once failed on 191 bolts :D

I won’t be using it. I cannot be assed.

I know you’re not supposed to stand right next to a tall object in a thunderstorm, but as far as I can tell there’s that’s not a factor here. In fact, you can find a couple of NPCs hanging around underneath the towers waiting for you to talk to them.

Very well, let me tell you about the Crossing. A long time ago, this place was a traveller’s nightmare. “Plains of lightning, plains of thunder, those who cross are torn asunder.” Or…so they used to say. Then a name by the name of Bilghen appeared. Using machina, he built towers that served as lightning rods across the plains. Finally, travellers were able to cross in safety. Bilghen was building that tower over there…when he was struck and killed by lightning. The ironic part? Bilghen was an Al Bhed. Our history books never mention him. You will only ever hear his name from experts, and possibly the Al Bhed themselves. Such is the nature of history, I suppose. And that, as they say, is that.

Good day! Is it true? I heard that Maester Seymour and Lady Yuna are to be wed! It’s such great news! I have to tell everyone!

Where’d you hear that from?

From the Guado. They were all very excited!

I’m afraid you heard a little wrong. Yuna’s gonna turn him down.

Oh. Really?

You remember how we got all that updated dialogue after Operation Mi’ihen? It happened again. The shoopuf is back up and running again, and you can make your way through the map all the way back to Besaid if you want. This time the update’s a bit less sweeping, but the content is almost all politically relevant; apparently the guado have been enthusiastically spreading news of the potential wedding to the equally enthusiastic public, and in the wake of Mi’ihen public opinion has turned so firmly against the Al Bhed that many areas are preparing their defenses in anticipation of raids (without evidence they’re preparing any). But, as I said before, I’m not going to actually showed any of that off. I still cannot be assed. We have Plot to do.

Speaking of cannot be assed, it’s your first and (possibly) only opportunity for thread participation! I’m aware that it’s standard procedure for SSLPs to consult the thread when making important decisions about the course of the game, but FFX’s plot is so linear and my plans for it are so set that I haven’t had the chance to open it up to you. You know, I’m not sure that that’s fair, so I think I need your help making an important decision. :siren: Let me know what character you want me to grind affection for. Make sure to bold their name in your post. :siren:

I didn’t realize that was another Rikku rear end Shot until I was almost done uploading the update :negative:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ooh.

Gonna have to vote Lulu, because why not?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yuna is the right choice.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

...wait, is that where the Tidus and Macarena jokes come from? I've heard of them but I never got the why.

Also gonna take the bold option and vote for Kimahri. Because there's nothing like going for the option the game doesn't expect you to.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Let's go with Yuna. And no, I'm not just saying that because she's the only person in the party who knows how to cast Cure.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

quote:

I wish you good luck, little boy. You’re going to need it.
:drat:

Guess it's Lulu then.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Kimahri

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Also gonna take the bold option and vote for Kimahri. Because there's nothing like going for the option the game doesn't expect you to.

Yeah, this is my vote too.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

I will not be getting Lulu’s Ultimate Weapon. I know I’ve been leaning towards completionism as the LP goes on, but I’m not going to gently caress up my tendons for something I’ll probably never use.
Fair. A few of those weapons are reasonable to get (I think I remember Yuna's being particularly easy?), but the others are far more of a pain than they're worth.

And raising the Aeon damage limits only requires you to half-unlock the corresponding weapons, so at least you don't need the Sigils for that.

I think I'm gonna say Auron just on the basis that Tidus has known him the longest.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I have no preference as to voting.

As for why this affection mechanic exists in the first place, my guess is that they wanted the callback to older FF games. It clearly wasn't a high priority though, since its effects are pretty trivial. Seems like the kind of thing that has lots of cut ideas/content around it- cutscenes and story branches can get REALLY expensive in development time. Be interesting to know what kinds of discussions were had around it.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The Thunder Plains are probably my favorite place in Spira

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The Thunder Plains are probably my favorite place in Spira

... I’m ashamed to admit that it’s growing on me. The lightning is a lot less annoying than I remember and the whimsical music offsets everything in a pleasing way. Like sugar in a stir fry, except it’s still not great.

StolenTeeth
Oct 11, 2016

Falconier111 posted:

Update 27: But That’s All They Are

… Looking back, I’m pretty sure my mom was just some groupie he knocked up and married to keep the scandal out of the press. Whenever my old man was around, she wouldn’t even look at me. Maybe that’s when I started to resent him, even hate him. She never seemed to care.

When he left us…Mom just lost her energy. I remember… The old lady next door told me once, that when a lovebird dies, the one left behind… It just gives up living so it can join its mate. It was just like that. I hated my old man even more, but…

You said she wouldn’t look at you when he wasn’t around, but would she when he was?

Got it in one. He always made sure she was looking after me…Guess it’s complicated. It would be so much simpler if he just hit me and yelled at me! He’d do that, but then he’d go around trying to… He made it so I couldn’t hate him, so I hate him even more now? I know that doesn’t make sense.

Was there a typo or misquote in here? These statements seem contradictory.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Falconier111 posted:

... I’m ashamed to admit that it’s growing on me. The lightning is a lot less annoying than I remember and the whimsical music offsets everything in a pleasing way. Like sugar in a stir fry, except it’s still not great.

Oh I meant like as far as places I'd hang out if I lived there. I've been known to spend full days on the porch watching storms even when they're overhead. Love 'em. I love the music in-game too. If it weren't for the Yevon-awful lightning dodging it'd be the best

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

StolenTeeth posted:

I think the intention is to say that his mom kinda sucked and wouldn't have looked at him either way, unless Jecht was around and told her to. But yeah, that dialog feels weird.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

StolenTeeth posted:

I can't remember if it was in this section and glossed over with the narrative or if it comes later but There is a scene where Tidus's mom is fawning over Jecht and he tells her "go pay attention to the kid, or he's gonna cry and ruin the mood sooner or later." Not great advice or motives at all but he did do that

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

StolenTeeth posted:

Yes there was, the first “was” should have been a “wasn’t”. The slightest errors can completely change the meaning of a sentence :sigh:. Does that help?

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 7, 2021

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 29: Don’t Tell Me You Were Hoping It Would

I wasn’t expecting the affection vote to turn out like that. I guess the thread is really into catboys. You know, I was just thinking about how Kimahri doesn’t really show up in my dialogue, so I guess I’m going to have to figure out how to fix that.

Before we enter the next scene, I just want to say that Rikku’s design is probably my favorite in the game. Just about every major character looks dumb, ridiculous, or both; the only exceptions are Auron (who’s basically a ronin in a red coat) and Yuna (who’s just wearing a modified shrine maiden’s outfit). Rikku, though? She’s wearing booty shorts (much to the camera’s delight), a big vest, boots, and whatever the hell those tassel things on her shoulders are. It’s sleek and minimalist compared to Tidus’s or Seymour’s, more practical than Lulu’s or Wakka’s, and visually distinct enough to pick her out from a crowd of even more outrageous characters. It’s also marvelously kinetic. Rikku almost never stops moving; she’s constantly rocking on the balls of her feet, jumping, climbing on things, or doing this thing where she paws at the air in front of her to emphasize a point. Even in battle, her character model is the most animated in the party, hunched over and bouncing back and forth before sprinting forward to use a skill or attack. So keep that in mind during the next scene.

Stop kidding around.

Alright, mom.

You know better than to call me that.

Oh, right. Sorry.

:stonklol:

Rikku, you okay over there?

Stop that! You’re giving me the creeps!

She skitters along the ground serpentine, complete with sound effect.

Whoa!

This storm never stops. Better to cross quickly.

I know, I know, I need to take a break, just a little while, please?

:sigh:

… Well?

You can stop the sequence early by entering the travel agency, but where’s the fun in that?

Fine, we rest. She’s worse than the storm.

:negative:

41-Traveling Company-FFX OST

(I’m pretty sure I didn’t include the Travel Agency theme the last time we moved through one; consider this makeup work).

Do you have a room available?

Innkeep: Yes, Lady Summoner, we have several just down the hallway, to the left –

… That’s no good.

This isn’t like her.

We have the run of the front lobby for now, not that there’s much to do here. So, now that we’ve committed to grinding Kimahri’s affection, let’s see what he has to say:

First interaction posted:

Yuna resting. Go away.

Second interaction posted:

Kimahri said go away.

Riveting. Let’s go talk to Rikku instead.

Of course I am! When-when I was little, a fiend attacked me while I was swimming at the beach. My brother tried to beat it back with a spell. But he missed and hit me instead! It was a Thunder spell. In the water.

Ouch.

I’ve been scared of lightning ever since.

Another thunderclap shakes the building.

:byodood:

… I was about suggest learning the mechanics of magic as a way to ease your fears… But I think that can wait until later.

Rin: And would that be –

:stare:

Rin… A pleasure to meet you as well.

Rin gives us another free Primer. At this point we have a little over half the alphabet under our belts; the next time we see someone speak Al Bhed, there’s a good chance we’ll be able to infer what they’re saying from the screenshot.

Rin:…

Rin: Ah, Sir Auron! I’ve been wondering since I saw you at the Mi’ihen Highroad branch. I wonder if you remember me? Ten years ago, at the beginning of Lord Braska’s Calm?

Yes. I should thank you.

Rin: Not at all. I could not leave a wounded man to die. However, I was surprised when I saw you gone the next morning, with that wound. An ordinary man would not have been able to walk.

Rin:… As you wish.

Okay, look, I’m all for awkward conversation, but I really wanna take a nap. You said the rooms were to the left?

Rin: Yes, all along the left side. Feel free to take your pick.

‘Kay, night.

You have any, uh, soundproofed rooms?

Rin: Yes, we have two underground rooms, totally insulated from the outside world. Would you like one?

:vince:

A man is speaking in emphatic tones, but the sound is too muffled to make anything out.

Isn’t that Yuna’s room? So who’s…

Tidus tries to listen at the door, then tries to look through the peephole…

… Before he loses his balance.

The hologram vanishes. Yuna tries to play it off as Tidus stands up.

H-hi! What are-what are you doing here?

Oh, uh, sorry. I shouldn’t have come in…

The-the sphere is his will. It says, “Take care of my son.”

Huh. He sounded a little too angry for –

I’m sorry!

:supaburn:

Well?

Yuna was acting funny, so –

Yeah, yeah! She’ll tell us when she’s ready, so hold your chocobos till then, ya?

Alright, alright! I’ll stop prying, now let me go!

Tidus’s Mom: What? Really?

‘Course!

Tidus’s Mom: I suppose, but…

Mommy?

Mommy…

Man, I’m not even NEAR Sin this time…

Don’t tell me you were hoping it would.

Fine. Stay here.

He walks straight out past her.

All right, already. But! You didn’t have to say it like that, you know! You could be more comforting or something! You know, try to cheer me up? You just don’t get me at all, do you? Hey! Are you listening? I’m not scared! I’m not scared, you hear me?

50-Thunder Plains-FFX OST

Rikku chases Auron out…

The Sky: :science:

:cry:

…And quickly regrets it as the party exits the building.

This guy takes a picture of them as he runs by. They all kind of shrug and continue forward.

You know how I said the Thunder Plains didn’t have any miniboss encounters? Well, that’s half true. The second half of the area has one, this Iron Giant here. See that sword? While mechanically it just has armor that requires Piercing weapons to get through, same as other monsters, visually it intercepts all other attacks with its sword. It’s big, it’s tough, it hits like a truck, and it has no weaknesses – in fact, unlike what you might think about a monster made entirely out of metal, it resists Thunder. I have terrible luck with electric weaknesses :argh:. Even when it shows up with multiple escorts, it isn’t impossible to deal with, but it’s certainly the biggest enemy in the Thunder Plains. Unlike many areas, this place doesn’t have a boss at the end.

Sort of. Is that… A cactus man on that stone? Can you do anything with it? Does it lead to a hidden boss? :iiam:

After a bit…

What’s up?

I have something to tell you. All of you. Let’s… Let’s get to shelter first.

(I’d gotten used to getting bad feelings by then.)

Can’t it wait? We’re almost out of here! Let’s go!

No, I have to say it now! I…

You-you did? But why? Why’d you change your mind?

For Spira’s future…and Yevon’s unity. I thought it would be the best thing to do.

That’s not an answer.

Wait, is it… Is it because of Lord Jyscal?

Wait, that sphere!

I can’t. I must speak to Maester Seymour first. I truly am sorry, but…

Just one thing.

I won’t quit the pilgrimage.

Then it is… Fine.

Wait a minute, Auron! You don’t care? I mean, you’re not going to stop her?

No, I’m not. As long as she is willing to face Sin… All else is her concern.

Yuna, just one question.

:hai:

Can’t you just talk to Maester Seymour? You’ve got to marry him?

I don’t know for certain. But I think it’s what I have to do.

… Okay, I guess.

Rikku stalks up to Yuna, cringes at another flash of lightning, and…

Shut up!

The sky does not respond.

(She’s “willing” to face Sin. She’s “privileged.” I didn’t understand anything. I knew they were keeping something from me, something that they thought I wouldn’t or couldn’t understand. I felt like I didn’t belong there. But if I didn’t belong with them, I’d be stuck in Spira, alone. And being alone in that place, well, I didn’t want to think about it.)

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 8, 2021

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

quote:

Teah, yeah! She’ll tell us when she’s ready, so hold your chocobos till then, ya?

Think you've got a typo there.

I agree with you about Rikku's design, it's one of the few outfits that doesn't make me roll my eyes. Her characterization, on the other hand... well, I have mixed feelings. I like her generally upbeat energy and attitude, it contrasts well against the rest of the cast, who are varying combinations of serious, stoic, and clueless. Plenty of people find her annoying, but it didn't really bother me, then or now. I also teach middle- and high-school though, so maybe I just have a high tolerance for annoying kids. :shrug:

I do think the writers leaned too hard into the "cutesiness" angle for my taste during this bit, but I dunno, maybe the Japanese audience found it endearing. And I'm not a fan of how the game's camera invites you to leer at her body- we've already seen her pseudo-strip tease, but, uh, there's more to come. Apparently it's even worse in FFX-2, which I never played, although I'm told it has a hot springs scene and that kinda says it all, doesn't it?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

You can press Square in front of the weird stones to have interesting things happen. I have no idea if the game tells you this at any point.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

So hilariously, the Iron Giants have a massive vulnerability to Petrify if I remember right. And in Guadosalam, they sell a cactuar doll for Lulu with Stonetouch. Most things in the Thunder Plains are vulnerable to that, funnily enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

EggsAisle posted:

Think you've got a typo there.

I did, thanks.

Galick posted:

So hilariously, the Iron Giants have a massive vulnerability to Petrify if I remember right. And in Guadosalam, they sell a cactuar doll for Lulu with Stonetouch. Most things in the Thunder Plains are vulnerable to that, funnily enough!

That’s good to know, but... I’d have to make Lulu attack to take advantage of that. Lulu. Using a mage’s weapon just feels wrong, you know?