Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Not my car, but I put a JVC head I it and a reversing camera in my mother-in-laws 2010 Honda Insight. Only hard part was feeding the cable through the hatch to get it to the hinge gaiter. That was a pain in the rear end. Also, Honda puts way too much effort into interlocking all the damned plastic panels in the rear. Had to pull apart half the hatch just to get the upper trim off to reach the rear lighting harness and run the cabling. Everything worked great, though - all the adapters and dash kit fit great, including the nifty camera mount that replaces one of the license plate light lenses. No pics as I was on a timer. Had tickets to go see KONG V Godzilla with the wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Finally brought the M3 home

Already ordered new oil for engine, manual transmission and LSD, but I'm happy to see the old oil is in this good of a condition.

Now the garage is full.

First order of the day was polishing and sealing the glass.
Sadly my rotary polisher died on me so I had to finish with the wide throw orbital polisher.

Hooked up a battery charger and cleaned off the dust and tape marks.

My SO has prepared a feast for Sunday

Paint is next, but I'm done for the day. Back hurts and muscles are sore. Definitely feeling those 30s getting closer. Ah well I guess getting older has its perks too looking at this garage.

Also bought all the filters and a used laptop with ISTA+ so I can do all the advanced dealer functions at home (which includes changing a loving battery and re learning the throttle actuators when they inevitably get replacements for their lovely plastic gears).

There's also no service manual for the M3 so the official ISTA+ repair guides are the only source for repair procedures and torque specs.

At my average yearly mileage this car will be safe to drive with its current rod bearings for another 15 years, but I'm gonna order some next year to be sure that I can get the leaded rod bearings and ARP bolts that don't require black magic and an excel sheet to be torqued to spec.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 4, 2021

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Darchangel posted:

Not my car, but I put a JVC head I it and a reversing camera in my mother-in-laws 2010 Honda Insight. Only hard part was feeding the cable through the hatch to get it to the hinge gaiter. That was a pain in the rear end. Also, Honda puts way too much effort into interlocking all the damned plastic panels in the rear. Had to pull apart half the hatch just to get the upper trim off to reach the rear lighting harness and run the cabling. Everything worked great, though - all the adapters and dash kit fit great, including the nifty camera mount that replaces one of the license plate light lenses. No pics as I was on a timer. Had tickets to go see KONG V Godzilla with the wife.

Oh man that reminds me of swapping the head unit in my mom's del Sol. I had to take like half the interior out to get the stock head unit out. There might have been a different way but it was pre-internet days. At least the aftermarket ones slide out with the keys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Passenger speakers on the truck went out the other day, started poking around, wiggling the wire harness in the door joint brought them back to life. Probably going to be a long term issue but it's fixed for today. Then went to mom's and fired up the neglected Miata and drove it home. Just needs a few things cleaned up and then it's time to sell it.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Saw a fancy multi-panel LED light on an Amazon deal and decided to give it a try to replace the sad, single light bulb that lights our garage:

Hard to tell the difference with the afternoon light coming in through the doors, but its a lot:

I didn't notice the design of the heatsinks until I had it installed and I was aiming the panels:

I'm ok with it though (somehow I missed all the reviews that mentioned it, so it was an actual surprise):

After that I did an oil change and swapped my summer wheels/tires on, and I miss the winter setup already. The winters are Michelin X-Ice in 205/55R16, and the summers are Firestone Indy 500 in 215/45R17 and aside form being more comfortable, I feel that the Michelins have a better initial turn-in and steering feel, though the rear can be looser in a not-fun way. The Firestones just feel looser when I turn, like there's a slight disconnect from turning the wheel to the car moving. Maybe I inflated them a little too much or not enough, I only had enough time to get to a gas station in the neighborhood and they just had one of the sliding pressure gauges on the air hose, not one of the nicer digital gauges that let you set a predefined pressure.

Not pictured is the gallon of oil I spilled on the floor because I forgot to open the breather valve on the oil drain container when I started draining.

DrChu fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 5, 2021

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

We sell those at work, in the "as seen on TV" section. They ARE bright for sure, but a bit expensive for what they are until they hit clearance.

So it's new front bumper cover day. Natch, almost every plastic clip broke (I have zip ties, so meh). The one good foglight had a wire pulling out of the connector, so it's junk unless I re-pin the connector. Debating if I should order new OEM-like fogs, or just go aftermarket. shy boy from chess class, you know these things too, what would you recommend? I have the OEM grills for the original lights somewhere. The old bumper cover was damaged bad enough that it was sagging and pushing the fogs straight down, and liked to hang up on parking berms (it was visibly kinked - mostly from the PO, but I'm sure taking out a fawn a few months back didn't help)

Looks like someone has been in here with some booger welds. No pic of that because lazy (also cramped garage), but one side of the reinforcement has booger welds for ~reasons~ even though it's straight. :iiam: They're even painted (badly, but painted at least). And gently caress whoever put wheel well trim on this thing - had to peel it off to get the bumper off, and of course the paint under doesn't match because of fading. If Pep Boys was still around I'd hit them up for new trim....

Of course now I want to just go to bed, so I might just zip tie the front plate on for the next day or two. And sweep the hell out of my garage, there were several pounds of mud/clay trapped behind the bumper cover from my, uh, offroad adventure the other day. Also trapped everywhere else on the car; it's now marking its territory with oil, coolant, and dried mud/clay every time I park.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 5, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

This weekend, but:

Krakkles posted:

Chemical Guys' Tough Mudder seems to be pretty good stuff - it smells cool, and it took a lot of nastiness off. I had to drain, rinse, and refill my rinse bucket several times.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

DrChu posted:

I didn't notice the design of the heatsinks until I had it installed and I was aiming the panels:

Did you pull that out of a delorean?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Outrail posted:

Did you pull that out of a delorean?

I think you'll find that's a match for the lighting in the sleeper of a Peterbilt.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

STR posted:

We sell those at work, in the "as seen on TV" section. They ARE bright for sure, but a bit expensive for what they are until they hit clearance.

So it's new front bumper cover day. Natch, almost every plastic clip broke (I have zip ties, so meh). The one good foglight had a wire pulling out of the connector, so it's junk unless I re-pin the connector. Debating if I should order new OEM-like fogs, or just go aftermarket. shy boy from chess class, you know these things too, what would you recommend? I have the OEM grills for the original lights somewhere. The old bumper cover was damaged bad enough that it was sagging and pushing the fogs straight down, and liked to hang up on parking berms (it was visibly kinked - mostly from the PO, but I'm sure taking out a fawn a few months back didn't help)

I got a set of those LEDs too and they're pretty good, definitely wicked bright.

I was going to go with OEM replacements for my fogs but they're pretty expensive. Still was going to do it cause I got sick of messing with cheap lights that fit like poo poo. But then my friend gave me a set of these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0831J6M7M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_3ANPCQBD3P6YGFFGCF9W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

That I started to make work with the stock brackets but got sidetracked and have been driving around with one missing light for like a month

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A set of TYC or Depo replacements are about the same cost, and should bolt right on (both are generally good quality).

Guess it's junkyard time again.. maybe this time I'll remember all my tools. :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 7, 2021

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Starting to look like a proper car again. New bumper has its share of scrapes, but at least it's not sagging.

Only held on with the 2 fender bolts and the 2 fasteners I managed to save, but I can at least drive it to the corner store and back now without as much worry of being pulled over. Box of proper fasteners should be here sometime today. And I REALLY need to get a loving broom for the garage... think I'll do that now

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm impressed that Subaru actually extends the functional part of the bumpers all the way to the corners.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Same. My 01 Accord took a shitload more damage than it should have when I tapped someone at a red light (foot not even completely off the clutch in 1st, less than a 5 mph hit) - got them just beyond the edge of the beam. My car needed a new bumper cover, headlight, air box, fender, upper radiator support was a little bent, and the hood needed a bit of love (never did line up right after that). About $3500 in repairs.

The other car (mid 90s Camry)? A loving scratch on their rear bumper... from the beam on my car. :argh: (they were turning right and stopped short, I clipped their back left corner with my right front)

It looks like someone's been in here before though, the driver's side corner of that beam has some booger welding and spray paint action going. But it lines up fine, so IDGAF. And I KNOW this thing has been hit on the right side before - the RF suspension has been replaced, as has the headlight, and the RR door + quarter are a bit... wrinkly. Front bumper cover was beat up pretty bad on that corner too, But I'm pretty sure it was the original bumper cover. Right side of the beam looked mint, aside from the styrofoam being cracked on that side? :iiam:

Kinda worried about what I'll find when I eventually pull the rear bumper cover - it has a Camry dent (more like.. puncture), and it's pushed in just enough on that side to make it bulge slightly. Laying under it I don't see any damage, all the attachment points seem to still line up except for two that are torn off of the bumper cover, and everything except the bumper cover lines up fine. There's a thin sheet metal brace on each side of the bumper, I'm betting that got bent outward. I'll know whenever I get off my rear end and pull the cover. Betting the styrofoam is a bit crunchy on that side, but everything else is likely fine. It only bugs me because there's an actual hole in the bumper cover..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 7, 2021

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Upside: got an email from LKQ about another Outback hitting the yard. Got over there, got most of what I needed (fog light, a head rest, ash tray).

Downside: questioned them as to why the parts were so expensive, "prices went up". Walked out, they stamped my receipt with "NO WARRANTY". Looked at the receipt in the car..... "E Warranty" line item on everything, padding the receipt by a solid :10bux:, plus charge twice for one item. Went back in, cashier told me "tough poo poo". Tried to call, # on the receipt is disconnected. Called their 800 #, they said I have to go talk to the cashier face to face (which I did).

Guess I'm scanning the receipt and doing a chargeback. The whole "E Warranty" line items with a big "NO WARRANTY" stamp on the receipt should help. :fuckoff:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
That sucks. I hate scummy car businesses (so yes, a lot of them)

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Ever since I bought the almera diesel the car was plagued by the issue of sudden power loss after 3 or 4 seconds of full throttle.

The ECU never threw a check engine light so I just randomly found a stored error code for “boost overpressure" when I wanted to check the common rail pressure data.

The turbo has VTG adjustment and a vacuum actuator with an electronic pressure control valve.

I disassembled all the vacuum lines and found no leaks, sucked on the line going to the vacuum actuator for the VTG linkage and the actuator rod moved freely. The last suspect was the electronic control valve which is in the picture. Sadly the spare part is not made anymore and costs up to 200 Euro so I just tapped it with a screw driver and shaked it in my hand. After 3 or 4 shakes the valve would make a noticeable clicking noise.

I reinstalled it and forgot about the whole thing for a week since we had a long holiday weekend in germany.

Drove the car to work yesterday and thought why not give it a try. To my absolute surprise the car pulled all the way to the rev limiter without losing power whatsoever.

I guess the elderly PO never drove the car hard enough to actually get the control valve to move and the valve was just seized a bit, so an hour of wrenching and few vigorous shakes saved me 200 Euro and yielded me the power of the almighty 136 HP common rail diesel.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

shy boy from chess club posted:

I was going to go with OEM replacements for my fogs but they're pretty expensive. Still was going to do it cause I got sick of messing with cheap lights that fit like poo poo. But then my friend gave me a set of these

I nabbed a set of OEM Subaru lights, with pigtails and PIAA bulbs (the typical late 90s/early 00s bulbs with a slight blue tint), for $20 yesterday (before LKQ pulled their scammy poo poo and added "enhanced warranties" to everything and just claimed prices went up, anyway - the phone # on the receipt is disconnected, so gently caress it, having my bank do a chargeback for the warranty part - they even stamped the receipt "NO WARRANTY"). They're dirty, but should clean up since they're just glass. One is already on the car, I'm about to go put the other on.

e: well that's my luck, one of the bulbs is dead. Oh well, they're just 9006s. I was hoping to go amber anyway, I'll snag some yellow/amber tinted 9006s from Amazon or eBay instead of slapping amber wrap on the lenses. But they're on the car and working, using a bulb from one of the old ones for now. We get enough fog and heavy rain here that amber + proper aiming makes a very noticeable difference vs typical "aux lights".
e2: or not, what the gently caress is up with all the LEDs showing up when I search for "amber 9006"? Or even 9006 in general? They're all too drat long to fit in these housings, the original halogens barely fit. And I don't want LEDs in halogen housings, damnit. :bahgawd:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 8, 2021

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Finally got the passenger airbag in the Vibe replaced (for the second time). GM was blowing up my mailbox weekly. Also got my inspection done since it expired Oct 2020, whoops.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Second time? What year model Vibe?

My Matrix JUST got the original passenger side airbag recall (from like... 2010?) done, loving finally. And a ECU recall from 2007 was also handled (got a new PCM, even though the original didn't have any known issues.. yet, probably just fell into the serial # range where they knew it'd eventually poo poo itself). I assume the airbags on the Vibe are the same Takata killers, since it's essentially a Matrix with a different AC compressor and a slightly different body, a GM radio, and a dash clock delete... though still built at a different factory. Makes me wonder if they used whatever the latest revision airbag would be; I was honestly shocked they had both the airbag and PCM on the shelf, given the car's age (this is a very new dealership, only a few years old... I was told it was the first Matrix any techs there had ever touched, and they'd only done a couple of mid 00s Corolla airbags before this - same p/n). I was fully expecting them to tell me to bring it in in a week or two, but... no, they called back 15 minutes later and told me they had everything involved for every TSB and recall on the shelf, bring it by in the AM, it'd be ready the same day (and it was).

Someone actually put a large postcard under the windshield wiper of the matrix about the airbag recall when SO had it at work (and the phone # did match an official Toyota phone # when I googled it). That was beyond creepy (esp since her name isn't even on the title), but SO was already going out of town to visit family - so I took care of it while she was out of town.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 8, 2021

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

It's a 2005, the first replacement I had done a few years back and they told me at the time it was a temporary replacement, I believe it was the same as the original airbag, so it still had the potential to...explode after a period of time, but was safer than the original that had already been in the car for 10+ years. This replacement is supposed to be the real deal fixed version of the airbag.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Okay, so there's a decent chance I got the replacement of replacement then. Mine is also a 2005 (very early 05, but still), and the airbag replacement was put off for a lot longer than I want to admit.

Makes me wonder about what's in my Subaru - fuckers broke the dash cover when they replaced it, so I literally have pieces of a plastic cover taped together to sorta cover an airbag. Another :fuckoff: to Subaru of Austin - it was replaced 2 months before I got the car. I really need to grab another airbag cover from the junkyard. :sigh: They also replaced the alternator (PO paid cash) and used the wrong pivot bolt, left the "Jesus nut" off too (the one on the backside that makes you call for Jesus when it falls between the intake runners). drat thing fell out of the bracket twice; threw the belt once, caused the belt to scream the other time. NOT happy with that dealer, especially since they claim they've never touched the car (Carfax disagrees very, very highly - they've done a shitload of (very bad) work on this car going by Carfax... Carfax even says it was traded in to them)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 8, 2021

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

STR posted:

Okay, so there's a decent chance I got the replacement of replacement then. Mine is also a 2005 (very early 05, but still), and the airbag replacement was put off for a lot longer than I want to admit.

Oh absolutely same, they have been bugging me for probably at least a year. But it's my winter beater so barely gets driven, and even less with a passenger. So I wasn't too motivated other than to stop the mailers.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah it was the "oh gently caress, they slipped a card under the wiper at SO's work" bit that made me go :tinfoil:. It's been in my name for <6 months

And the drat thing only has 96k on it (it's a very early 05 - though it you see it IRL, it looks like it has at least 500k on it - typical interior and paint issues you run into with a desert car, plus a good chunk of hail damage). Ex was the original owner. She just flat out doesn't drive anywhere except work and back; it was her 2nd car in her entire life (she sold her first car with about... 160k?). I think I'm up to #11 or #12 in terms of car ownership, and we're both in our early-mid 40s - but I used to average 30-50k a year. I put at least 15k on it the Matrix myself with road trips;. It did not look pretty when I did the valve cover gasket, but it wasn't as ugly as I expected. It had always had quick lube oil changes done.. every 3k on the dot, but with lovely oil, so it has plenty of varnish. At least I didn't find a mold of the valve cover. :v:

The funny thing is it looks BRAND loving NEW on the underside, aside from the typical 1ZZ-FE oil leaks (timing cover leaks a bit... did the valve cover gasket when I did the intake manifold gasket... oil pan is starting to seep). You can almost use the muffler as a mirror to comb your hair, it's that clean on the bottom. The interior is in above average condition for its age too - it looks like a ~5 year old car on the inside, if you ignore the Kenwood stereo (if it had the factory stereo, it'd be full on time capsule).

It's an incredibly reliable and solid car so long as you don't beat on the 5 speed (6 is supposedly a lot more durable), but it's just not a comfortable car for me at all. :( My back, hips, knees, etc are that of a 90 year old thanks to years of retail; it's painful for me to even use a clutch these days. And the clutch on that fucker is really sensitive (if you sneeze in its direction, it slips). It's not a smooth riding car at all either (it kinda rides like an empty cargo van or empty smaller pickup truck - back bounces a lot). As much as I hate to say it, I'll happily take an old Lexus over it. I don't give a poo poo about mileage anymore, I want comfort. Which is why I prefer to drive Brokeback - it has heated seats that really help my back, springs are a lot softer, it's a lot quieter overall... :it handles only slightly better than the Titanic, but it's just so much more comfortable. :corsair: I wouldn't mind an automatic version of the Matrix (with PW/PL/PM/keyless entry), I just can't handle 3 pedals on a daily basis anymore. :smithicide:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 8, 2021

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mine has 110k and has lived in PA most of its life, so it's got some surface rust underneath, but nothing horrible and the body is all fine still. Surprisingly zero oil leaks yet. I've had it around 5 years and other than tires and brakes when I bought it, it's needed zero work. Judging by the number of them I saw for sale pushing 300k when I bought mine, I figure I'll pretty much have it forever. I do my yearly oil changes and call it good.

Funny you mention it riding like an empty van or small truck because that's basically how I use mine. So much room with the back seats down.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The oil leaks don't leave anything on the ground, it's just damp on the oil pan and timing cover (the drips on the floor are from my car, stains from the previous tenant). The oil gets changed twice a year, and it's always almost dead on the full mark. Gets Mobil 1 High Mileage and an OEM Toyota filter every time.

This is the only remotely recent pic I have of it, maybe 30 min before I did the intake manifold gasket (which took maybe 45 minutes, and only because I'd never done one on a Toyota before). It was throwing lean codes, random misfire codes, and fuel trims were..... crazy.Cold idle ranged from <250 to 4000. Runs like new now, steady cold idle, steady warm idle, no codes at all, etc. Amazing what a $8 Felpro gasket can do.

I've used it for camping before too; the Outback is a bit more comfortable simply because the cargo area and seat backs have carpet (also a little more room). So long as you have heavy blankets and good pillows it makes a good camping car tho! It also has mismatched bumpers from being in an unwanted 3 way - body shop put the wrong year model bumpers on it. I forget what they're off of, but it makes the car look a little more unique. I WANT to say one is from a 2006, the other from a 2004, when the 2005 was a bit of a unicorn?

It's an insanely useful car for something so small! Pretty easy to work on too. It's in far, far better shape than Brokeback.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 8, 2021

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

New wheels on the Si sedan. I’ve had it over two years on stock wheels for summer, which is some sort of record for me. 17x8 Enkei RPF1 and 235/4517 G-Max RS tires. Significantly lighter than the stock setup, about 10lb per corner.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Nice. Gold on white is good, and I have always loved the 10th gen civic front fascia. My wife has a grey 2021 hatch, its a great car.

I have barely touched my new SS 1LE other than putting maybe 1k miles on it since I got it, but I have the following parts to yeet at it this weekend, if the weather holds up:

-AWE touring catback + performance link pipes (secondary cat deletes)
-Castrol SRF brake fluid
-SS (non 1LE) brake air deflectors, which for some reason are bigger but not included on the 1LE
-Rock guards
-4k dashcam hard-wired to interior power
-oil change 10 quarts WTF
-diff fluid change - precautionary, the previous owner may not have swapped it early which is the recommendation

Most of that poo poo is pretty boring but this is what the exhaust will sound like :flashfap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSyFz57GA6E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqJJhG80L1Y

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 8, 2021

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

opengl128 posted:

Judging by the number of them I saw for sale pushing 300k when I bought mine, I figure I'll pretty much have it forever. I do my yearly oil changes and call it good.

Well, being that 1st gen Vibe/Matrix odometers literally can't roll over 299,999 km/mi, they may have been way over the mileage you thought. :v:

Also, I saw an AWD Vibe the other day. Odd car for the southeast USA.

I miss my XRS. I know the FoST is faster, but it feels like a truck motor in comparison to the 2zz.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The AWD on those was very, very fragile, and could only be had with the base/XR engine (1ZZ-FE), tuned to put out even less power (I think around 7hp less, so not a huge difference) and automatic. You couldn't get it with the XRS engine (2ZZ-GE - about a 50 hp difference vs the 1ZZ-FE), or with a manual.

I would totally drive an XRS; the 130 hp base is zippy enough for what it is with the 5 speed (though I hate the clutch feel, and the 5 speed is a ticking bomb); with 180 hp and the 6 speed it probably scoots real well. The no-frills base model is just under 2700 lbs; it looks like an XRS is right at 2800.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The XRS is so cool, and the even more rare Corolla XRS.

When I was shopping for my vibe I test drove an XRS, but it had like 200K and was completely ragged out, clutch felt super weird and the shifter was so sloppy I couldn't tell what gear I was in. I'd still like to give one a proper go sometime.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah that thing had to be really beat on. The shifter in this base feels brand loving new (complete with SNICK SNICK action when you shift), but the clutch has felt weird since day 1. It's like.. you sneeze on the pedal while just cruising, and it bangs the rev limiter + you get a burning clutch smell. Always been that way since new, the clutch is just so goddamned touchy on it. It's already had the clutch replaced once. :smith:

My old roommate's WRX.. the shifter was FUKT with a gigantic bold capital F. He said I was the only one who could reliably find gears in it (including him). The shifter was leaning on the side of the center console when in 3rd/4th, it was that far off. You really had to slam it into 1st and 2nd, more because the shifter was so far off center.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 10, 2021

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Is it a hydraulic clutch or cable operated? I remember the cable operated one in my first Primera and I always over loosened it by 5 to 10mm pedal travel because I get anxious about clutch slippage. Same with my bikes too.

Also if it has one of the weird auto adjusters on the cable those just go straight to the bin for me. I rather do the adjustment once every couple years than having to deal with that gnarly feeling of the sticky self adjuster. Looking at you VW.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

shy boy from chess club posted:

Oh man that reminds me of swapping the head unit in my mom's del Sol. I had to take like half the interior out to get the stock head unit out. There might have been a different way but it was pre-internet days. At least the aftermarket ones slide out with the keys.

Hondas are usually pretty easy. It's always just a single M6 at the rear, pointed up. Lower console or ashtray, whatever is under the radio, comes out, and the radio pulls right out. Or pushes right out, since there's usually nothing to grab on the front. The Insight was no different. Pocket and power point panel unde the radio out, 8mm socket to remove the bolt, then pry it forward from the glove box opening (after popping the stops on the glove box, and letting it swing down.)

Krakkles posted:

This weekend, but:

Nice hood emblem.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Theory posted:

Is it a hydraulic clutch or cable operated? I remember the cable operated one in my first Primera and I always over loosened it by 5 to 10mm pedal travel because I get anxious about clutch slippage. Same with my bikes too.

Hydraulic. It's felt like this since the first time I drove it (with ~3k miles in 2005). It just has garbage clutch feel - it feels like the hydraulics are too strong for it, if that makes sense? I can literally press the pedal to the firewall with my thumb. There's no air in it either; if you look at the pedal funny, it's already slipping.

Not entirely positive the flywheel got replaced or resurfaced when the clutch got replaced either, though it doesn't chatter at all, and the invoice did list a new flywheel (a chain shop did the clutch job 2 years ago). It just goes from solid grab to nasty smell/rev limiter with 0.3259842069mm of movement (using a Vice Grip Garage measurement, there's a 20.827% chance that I might be 5.5067mm off).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 10, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That sounds like the hydraulics are hosed up. My second Forester was like that and I had to replace a few things.

My first one didn't have that issue at all and they use the same exact parts on both years.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Claybarred and waxed the metro. So shiny, so smooth (and the loving water drop off the mirror the same second i took the picture...)

not bad for a car with almost 200k miles, especially a metro from maine, of all things.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Put a vinyl overlay on the only bits of chrome trim on my Si sedan. Hard to spot, but it’s above the windows.

Before

After

I bought super cheap $17 overlays so they were not a perfect fit and I had to make some “patches” but it’s still better than chrome. If they start coming off in six months or whatever I’ll re-do them with some more accurately cut stuff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Uh....where was the chrome? I'm where's waldo-ing this and can't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Top edge of the door / window frame.