Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I recommend shotguns every time it's asked. Any shotgun will do, but I do like an MP-153 with the 8rd tube, an ugpraded stock and a PK-06. It's a death machine and you used to be able to snipe with it as well as any sniper rifle using AP-20. But yes, just go with the cheap shells and you'll still decimate them. I usually stay away from slugs (with the AP-20 exception) though. Even last night I was on my scav with an MP-153 using slugs, shot a guy 3 times in the back of the skull and didn't kill him. We were actually joking about it afterwards. I did 504 armor damage to him and 34 body damage. I crept up on him, shot him 3 times and he still didn't die.

The KS-23 with Barricade will apparently kill any player in 1 shot if you hit them in the legs or arm. I haven't tested it but it's the go to "gently caress people up close" meta apparently. I have been finding more and more of them on players, usually as a secondary weapon to a long range weapon. You can get one from Prapor for ~50k and just bring a couple extra reloads with you for ~5k and have a good shot against any player.

On a side note: I managed to buy 26 GPU's for my BTC farm over the weekend and made all the money back already. I'm now at the stage of just having gobs of money with more coming in and honestly...it's kind of boring. I think i'll forever be that player that goes in with a pistol and works my way up. As much as I enjoy modding weapons, I enjoy beating up on other players with a lesser load out. I think that's more satisfying then a Slick/Airframe/Vector against a Slick/Airframe/Vector fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct

ShowTime posted:

Edit: I'd also like to compile a list of the modded weapon spawns on Reserve if anyone has found any

Modded Baby AK can spawn on the chairs in the entrance from quad in Queen

Modded Baby Ak or Ak74 can spawn on top of the green boxes inside the bed the truck in black knight garage

Modded baby Ak can spawn on the wood crates behind the Tunguska AA vehicles in the bunker fields between motor pool and train yard

sum
Nov 15, 2010

There's no way the Barricade one shots to the leg unless it's bugged. It does 192 damage and even with the "2 hits" bug that's less than 440.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

bobz0r posted:

Modded Baby Ak or Ak74 can spawn on top of the green boxes inside the bed the truck in black knight garage

Modded baby Ak can spawn on the wood crates behind the Tunguska AA vehicles in the bunker fields between motor pool and train yard

Awesome, thanks for these. when i was trying to do that golden zippo quest (:argh:) i was having fun sneaking in with nothing and beelining for room 208 in the three story dorms to grab whatever modded gun rngesus left for me there. nice to have more options for this kinda thing

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

bobz0r posted:

Awesome. I'll check on these and hopefully find them one day. Haven't found any since I made it my goal of looking for them and taking screenshots for a guide.

sum posted:

There's no way the Barricade one shots to the leg unless it's bugged. It does 192 damage and even with the "2 hits" bug that's less than 440.

Just what i've been hearing. I'll test some and see what happens. Is barricade just one slug or is it a bunch of pellets like other shot guns? Is it possible that all the pellets do that much?

Edit: Testing it on scavs and it doesn't seem to be that way. I could also have attrocious aim and am hitting between their legs. I fired like 10 shells and it only register 3 hits.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 7, 2021

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

bobz0r posted:

Hey I found one on my second try! I spawned right by it, checked it and boom, it was there. Feedback on how I should change my screenshots so I can make a proper guide? I could jack up my settings to Ultra, but I don't play like that because its harder to see people. I cropped out a few things and I suppose I could make it larger for the actual guide. I took 2 just in case. This weapon is the AK-74N Magpul variant. Not sure if I should post a screenshot of the weapon too or if that is kind of random.

https://imgur.com/3vSTaJJ

Also, this was a crazy run, because I spawned with a Weather Station Safe Key and a RB-PSP2 Key, then checked a jacket and found a Factory key, checked the jacket next to it for a West Wing Room 216 Key and decided it was time to leave with prizes, but while in the train depot heading for the extract decided to check the jacket there and found a Gas Station Safe Key. Just the luckiest jacket checking i've ever had.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

sum posted:

Going to guess he's actually thinking of shrap 10.

I'm not a fan of KS-23.

Saiga flechette magdump is more flexible imo.

KS-23 is punishing if you miss the 1 shot you get.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Despite being pretty capital-b Bad at Tarkov and not even being level 30 yet, I've had a stash of 30+ demon guns and 5-7 mil roubles in my inventory for weeks now, and I would say the bulk of them come from Interchange. If you are poor, you need to run around outside Interchange as a scav a few times, and you will be rich in no time.

There are so many high value loot stashes outside of Interchange on the blue wall by Emercom that you can do a 95% safe scav run in five minutes that easily makes ~250K roubles a run, with a decently high potential for stuff like bitcoin, tier 5/6 armor, loaded guns, etc. Once you get a feel for the map and have a bit of loot under your belt, you can even sneak around the back ramp by Emercom looking for PMC and scav bodies. All it takes is one unlooted scav Mosin or if you're really lucky a PMC who bled out on his way back to Emercom, and suddenly you have no more gun problems.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

FileNotFound posted:

Going to guess he's actually thinking of shrap 10.

I actually could be. It was just the ammo I found on 2 bodies that had them.

Franks Happy Place posted:

Despite being pretty capital-b Bad at Tarkov and not even being level 30 yet, I've had a stash of 30+ demon guns and 5-7 mil roubles in my inventory for weeks now, and I would say the bulk of them come from Interchange. If you are poor, you need to run around outside Interchange as a scav a few times, and you will be rich in no time.

There are so many high value loot stashes outside of Interchange on the blue wall by Emercom that you can do a 95% safe scav run in five minutes that easily makes ~250K roubles a run, with a decently high potential for stuff like bitcoin, tier 5/6 armor, loaded guns, etc. Once you get a feel for the map and have a bit of loot under your belt, you can even sneak around the back ramp by Emercom looking for PMC and scav bodies. All it takes is one unlooted scav Mosin or if you're really lucky a PMC who bled out on his way back to Emercom, and suddenly you have no more gun problems.

I think, at this point, you can run basically anywhere for a decent amount of money. It just depends on what you are looking for an your playstyle.

Interchange: Industrial loot with the occasional rare, overlooked item like a GPU. You can find a dead Killa and really only have to check one place (though that place is usually swarmed by player scavs, so expect a fight)
Reserve: Military loot with the rare chance at an AESA (only found on Reserve). High chance to find raider and PMC bodies.
Woods: Super spread out with lots of caches to check and you'll occasionally find an unlooted camp with crates and other loot.
Shoreline: Another super spread out maps with lots of caches to check. The village has a chance to be unlooted for a fair amount of undisturbed loot. Dorms can be risky but you might get lucky with some unlooted rooms and get the ambush on the one PMC not there for a red key card.
Customs: Fair amount of caches to check, though arguably the worst spot for loot as a Scav.
Factory: Dead bodies on top of dead bodies. Chance to get lucky with a dead chad.

Someone will probably come a long and say this is completely wrong, but this is my opinion of what each map is like for scav runs.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Yeah see that's a common misconception about Interchange, that the loot is what's inside OLI or whatever. The loot is whatever you want it to be, friend!

There's probably 9 loot barrels or tree stashes in a two minute run of one another along the wall I'm talking about, the kind of stashes that spawn basically any loot in the game. I have had every Kappa quest item sitting in a rig in my inventory since I was like level 12.

If you go from the loot barrel under the big sign in front of the mall, and then run towards and along the blue wall right to Emercom Exit, hitting every one of those stashes, you can do a five minute scav run where you barely see anyone and hit more high tier loot than a decent Reserve PMC run.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Sorry, I know about the caches it just wasn't something I started mentioning until Woods and forgot to go back and edit. I used to do the Interchange cache run for money, a couple wipes ago. It's a somewhat safe method for money if you do it at night. Otherwise you are at risk of getting sniped. Things have kind of changed with the need for GPUs and the Killa quest, so a lot more action happens inside the mall. Another decent place for loot is the garage under the mall. I've never done it myself but it's been recommended by a few people. The mall itself isn't actually great for loot unless you are going the tech stores or for Killa. The best loot is in the department stores.

I haven't done that run in a couple wipes but can still go to every single cache on Interchange. The only map I don't know for caches is Woods, and I want to learn.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

ShowTime posted:

Sorry, I know about the caches it just wasn't something I started mentioning until Woods and forgot to go back and edit. I used to do the Interchange cache run for money, a couple wipes ago. It's a somewhat safe method for money if you do it at night. Otherwise you are at risk of getting sniped. Things have kind of changed with the need for GPUs and the Killa quest, so a lot more action happens inside the mall.

I haven't done that run in a couple wipes but can still go to every single cache on Interchange. The only map I don't know for caches is Woods, and I want to learn.

I have run Interchange so many times this wipe it is now a map I know like the back of my hand, it's literally my go to Scav run, and I have had maybe ~5 serious gun fights all wipe doing what I now call The Milk Run. It's a loving ghost town most times, and further, I'd say it's already been looted maaaaaybe one in ten times I check 'em. And even then, there are so many crates that even if someone has already picked them over, you can probably make over 150k off the trash they leave behind if you're really poor and need rifle bux.

eta: the only time I ever had a serious fight was when I ran into three hatchlings coming the opposite direction clearly also doing what I was doing. Three free PMC kills lol

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

ShowTime posted:

I can draw up a quick route on the woods map of what i figured out for woods runs later. i can pretty reliably hit 10-15 stashes plus a few camps that almost always have scavs to kill and some loot if they weren't hit yet.

And as I mentioned before it's really safe because mostly people don't hang around the edges of the woods map where all the stashes are. downside is that it's a longer run than interchange- 5 km traveled isnt uncommon for loot runs.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
Woods at night, or in bad weather, is great for farming loot! It’s been pretty quiet lately. Surprisingly often the USEC camp/scav bunker area is untouched, or at least has lots of nice stuff left behind. Though once in a while some thermal-sniping jerk will one-shot you from out of nowhere.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I've said it before but if you learn all the stashes new Woods has an insane loot:risk ratio. I've got a route that hits ten stashes and USEC camp in about 15 minutes and I rarely run into PMCs. I've been consistently making over a million per run and running out overweight with a full Pilgrim and Azimut

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

sum posted:

I've said it before but if you learn all the stashes new Woods has an insane loot:risk ratio. I've got a route that hits ten stashes and USEC camp in about 15 minutes and I rarely run into PMCs. I've been consistently making over a million per run and running out overweight with a full Pilgrim and Azimut

When I was grinding my 25 shturman kills and he wasn't up - woods was stupid money. Besides the stashes, village and emrcom has sugars, the and ZB-whatever exits have sugar. The houses at sawmill also have good loot and are frequently ignored. Silencer shack is basically free money as well.

If you run woods at night with trash nv, you will very likely see nobody at all. Although you maybe seen by some jackass like me with thermals...

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007
Woods at night is very safe. It’s not very popular and even if you do run into a player the map is very open leaving you plenty of room to escape.

Take the time to learn the cache spots and you can consistently make several hundred thousand rubles selling stuff on the flea.

M4s and decent lvl 4 armour spawn commonly enough to.

I didn’t even build a bitcoin farm this wipe, I just run woods when I need cash

I used to run Interchange but it’s much harder. Indoors you can run into very highly geared players there for some odd reason or another and for the caches outside your options to escape in a fight are constrained by the edge of the map. The best option is often to just engage which is what you wanna minimise if you want to consistently make money

Hamburger Sandwich fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 8, 2021

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I really need to learn the Woods stashes but its such a big map and there are so many.

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007

ShowTime posted:

I really need to learn the Woods stashes but its such a big map and there are so many.

Yeah that is true, I found the best way is to divide the map up into quarters and just stick to one. I’ll head to it no matter where I spawn and have a guide with screenshots on the second monitor. After a couple of runs it’s all internalised.

The size is also a blessing in addition to being a curse because you have plenty of time to sprint around in the open with your face looking at the ground for the stash and all they are all located in areas blocked off from sight lines to.

If not just hit up the main big spots, the medic camp, USEC camp and villages to the north. A lot of good loot spawns, just more likely to get in a fight

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I had the best scav run i've had yet and I just wanted to share. In my excitement I didn't take a screenshot of it while on the end raid screen, so you'll just have to believe me. I've recreated it because it was so cool and all it took was sneaking underground and shooting some chad in the face with a single round of PS from an SKS. This guy probably doesn't even care that he lost all this loot, because he must of the endurance of a bull. I could barely move and even dropped a helmet just to get my speed up from 1 dot to 2 dots. I could run for about 10 seconds before having to stop and lie down. Smart move might have been to drop some of it and take the good stuff, but no, I wanted it all. So I crept across the open field to Hole In The Fence just praying I didn't get shot.

https://imgur.com/xk92ETc

Well I didn't get shot and I made it out with so much gear I don't really know what to do with it all. This makes me really want to level up my strength and endurance, because if you guys get to run around with all this and not drain your stamina, i'm insanely jealous.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Whenever I'm on Woods and not trying to get something in the stupid sawmill I'll almost always head to new village/old sawmill. So many good loot spots there and any route I take has either USEC, one of the ZBs, or some loot caches.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

ShowTime posted:

here's a quick path i generally take for woods runs. stashes in blue, places of interest (danger/loot/scavs) in orange. black circles are what i'd consider good spawns for each end of the run. if you spawn all the way in the southeast the run can get weird. recommend bringing zb-014 key given that last section between there and outskirts has nothing of interest but can get hairy. maybe the 3k roubles to take car extract, but generally if you can get past the village that last section til northern roadblock is safe.

the ruined northern village feels way too open and dangerous for me so i ignore it. usec camp is also a spot i tend to see players more, so stay alert around there. lastly i forgot to color it orange but the convoy is right next to a stash and is worth checking out. good meds occasionally on the ground by one of the bodies.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

ShowTime posted:

I had the best scav run i've had yet and I just wanted to share.

https://imgur.com/xk92ETc

That's an insane haul right there, good job!

ShowTime posted:

all it took was sneaking underground and shooting some chad in the face with a single round of PS from an SKS. This guy probably doesn't even care that he lost all this loot, because he must of the endurance of a bull.

Oh I promise you this guy was fuming with rage. I would be outraged if I managed to get all this and then some scav face-tapped me with an SKS.
This guy quit the game for the night. Well done.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
https://twitter.com/bstategames/status/1380165176859754502?s=20

The good times are over, burn your g.cards. Liquidate your 'coins for chocolate bars.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

ShowTime posted:

lol indeed. My CPU stash once valued at a cool 2.5mil is now worth about 250k. My timing in this game is such poo poo. Every time I finally unlock something, gain something, am on the brink of building something, etc, it gets nerfed.

I just built the BTC farm and stuck a bunch of GPU's in it. Watch, this week or the next, we'll see some kind of BTC nerf.

I'm sorry everyone.

Edit: Alternatively, you're welcome everyone.

I'm that one guy that gets hosed by this change but i'm cool with it. I spent about 50mil on 26 GPUS in the past week but because the economy is so wonky, i've already made it all back. I'll actually finish the GPU farm when prices stabilize on GPUS because passive income is always great, even when its half of what it was. Right now GPUS are down about 20%.

Edit 2: I actually noticed this in my old screenshots last night. This is what previous wipes looked like and if that was the case today, i'd be crying: https://imgur.com/nfowCw5 That's something like 150 bitcoins. I was going for a whole T H I C C case at the end of that wipe.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 8, 2021

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
It’s great when preparing differently than normal to fit the situation pays off. I had two customs quests (including a dorms one). I was planning on taking my Hunter, but if I got into dorms I would need something for cqc. So I brought along an mp5 with one mag I had already with the plan to dump it if I found any other gun. I got into the second floor of the two storey, hiding in a room while all hell breaks loose downstairs. After its quiet I creep down the stairs, and Reshala come right around the corner with a goon. I managed to put them both down with a hunter shot and emptying my mp5 mag.

By taking that mp5 I not only don’t die, but get the sweet loot.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

AntiDepressor posted:

It’s great when preparing differently than normal to fit the situation pays off. I had two customs quests (including a dorms one). I was planning on taking my Hunter, but if I got into dorms I would need something for cqc. So I brought along an mp5 with one mag I had already with the plan to dump it if I found any other gun. I got into the second floor of the two storey, hiding in a room while all hell breaks loose downstairs. After its quiet I creep down the stairs, and Reshala come right around the corner with a goon. I managed to put them both down with a hunter shot and emptying my mp5 mag.

By taking that mp5 I not only don’t die, but get the sweet loot.

Nice thinking. I rarely take 2 weapons but I sometimes do if its just something I want to lose anyway. You could argue to sell it and get some money or use it on another run but sometimes you just don't like it, don't need the money, etc. Yesterday I brought in an SVDS and an AS VAL, just because I didn't want the AS VAL, but needed something I could burn down someone in close range with. I would have only sold for like 150k, including the ammo and mags it came with, so why not just throw it away in a raid and maybe turn that 150k into 500k if you kill someone with better.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i actually completed delivery from the past :toot: what an annoying quest.

I even got a couple pmc pistol kills in practicing for my run, so that was nice. this is simultaneously one of the most abusive and exciting games I've ever played

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Been hearing a lot of people who were sick of this game switching over to Hunt: Showdown, so I guess for people who are frustrated with the meta (Like I was) just fwiw Hunt scratches the same itch but does it in a much better, albeit very different way.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

ShowTime posted:

Nice thinking. I rarely take 2 weapons but I sometimes do if its just something I want to lose anyway. You could argue to sell it and get some money or use it on another run but sometimes you just don't like it, don't need the money, etc. Yesterday I brought in an SVDS and an AS VAL, just because I didn't want the AS VAL, but needed something I could burn down someone in close range with. I would have only sold for like 150k, including the ammo and mags it came with, so why not just throw it away in a raid and maybe turn that 150k into 500k if you kill someone with better.

Pistols are so cheap that at this point I always take one if I'm running with a sniper primary, because its that sweet spot between having the second weapon slot open and having a backup gun for CQC.

A ten round clip with 6.3 in it costs about the same as a lunchbox and can absolutely save your life.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Hooplah posted:

i actually completed delivery from the past :toot: what an annoying quest.

I even got a couple pmc pistol kills in practicing for my run, so that was nice. this is simultaneously one of the most abusive and exciting games I've ever played

It's amazing how intimidating that quest is the first time you do it. It's the one I got goon help with my first time. My second time I did it solo.

I bet Delivery from the Past probably causes a measurable percentage of new players to simply walk away forever.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Franks Happy Place posted:

Pistols are so cheap that at this point I always take one if I'm running with a sniper primary, because its that sweet spot between having the second weapon slot open and having a backup gun for CQC.

A ten round clip with 6.3 in it costs about the same as a lunchbox and can absolutely save your life.

Same. I meant to say primary. I roll with a stacked FN-57 whenever i'm carrying anything bolt action and often when i'm carrying something loud. This gives me a silenced option for scavs if I want to prevent the map from knowing where someone is. What sucks is that scavs sometimes have this insane 6th sense and know when i'm behind them, so they fire off a shot and now my cover is blown.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Have had to start grinding FiR graphics cards for the quest. Having to carve my way through so many naked/pistol duos. Was Interchange like this before BTC went nuts?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

ShowTime posted:

What sucks is that scavs sometimes have this insane 6th sense and know when i'm behind them, so they fire off a shot and now my cover is blown.

I saw that in action as a scav last night from the roof of the train yard on Reserve. Someone hit the button and a bunch of raiders spawned and they were running around like headless chickens for a couple of minutes. I realised I was ADS at them and as soon as I stopped, they stopped. I ADS again and they immediately started moving, despite none of them seeing me or barking at me.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
What's the "best" helmet? I'm curious why some helmets sell for more than others, when the lesser helmet has arguably better stats. The Team Wendy EXFIL Ballistic Black sells for 275k~, the Crye Precision Airframe Tan sells for 175k~, but the Ops-Core Fast MT Super High Cut Helmet sells for 120k~. The latter has no ergonomics reduction, lesser change to movement speed, though it does have a higher turn change speed than the others. The formers both have ergonomics hits. In fact, the Wendy helmet has roughly the same stats as the Fast MT but also a -4% ergonomics hit.

I realize some of it is attachments, and that's probably what it comes down too.

Anyway, kind of just curious what everyone thinks is the best helmet. I think a lot of it is just gonna be preference. I like the Fast MT because I can put ear protection on it and still use my preferred headset. I don't use visors because I can't see poo poo with them and since i'm not playing super chad like, going face to face with people, I think my vision is very important. If i'm gonna go tanky, i'd likely use something like an Altyn with the face cover.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It's almost entirely attachments followed by material repair cost at a distant second.

Being able to fit a visor, NVG, ear/chop protection etc is huge when your average Labs Chad is clicking heads.

For that reason I like Airframe unless I am just covering my dome in which case gimme that ULACH

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ULACH is my goto, I’m too poor to consider running attachments or anything with regularity until I can get my farm maxed at tier 2 at least.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

The best helmet is whatever you scoop off the chad you killed.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

tokenbrownguy posted:

The best helmet is whatever you scoop off the chad you killed.

I'm too terrible to consistently kill players either. :v: This is why I'm 30 with less than 100 PMC kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
i'm partial to the peace keeper high cut lsshgh for 40~k and lv 4 protection