Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Type 2 are also quite chunky compared to the proprietary connector.

I guess you can't do three phase AC with that, but perhaps that doesn't matter in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
I literally cannot conceive of how someone could get the orientation wrong on the Tesla connector which has a thumb button on top which you press to remotely open your charge port and a pistol grip when held correctly. Do these people sometimes find themselves cutting a tomato with the flat of their kitchen knife instead of its blade? Do they often put a gas pump in with the handle trigger thrusting straight up in the air and complain about how poorly designed it is to need three hands to press the trigger and that it never locks like it's supposed to?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If the question is "are people stupid enough to X" the answer is always "oh Jesus gently caress yes and then some"

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It doesn't matter anyway with regards to electrical safety, it's not 400 V live DC at all times. It has to go through a little dance of detection and testing before it switches on power.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cakesmith handyman posted:

If the question is "are people stupid enough to X" the answer is always "oh Jesus gently caress yes and then some"

Given a few weeks ago I had to organise some switch replacements because someone literally shat on them and this evening I'm now wondering how the hell I am going to replace other hardware because it seems a couple of ton was set down on a deliveries server that was in a locked room and there is a huge chip shortage that only lends weight to that "oh Jesus gently caress yes and then some"

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Huh. According to the video from Teslabjørn (and Volkswagen and Continental) the MEB platform actually has sealed drum brakes in the rear. So they actually should be better for EVs since they won't corrode like discs or normal drum brakes.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Apparently there's rumor (per Yahoo finance...) of the US ev incentive jumping up to 10k and of course applying at point of sale.

Tack an msrp cap (maybe even a sliding scale - 45k gets 10k, reduced to like 2-3k at 60k)and we're in business.

Edit: saving a click

quote:

"We are hearing from our contacts in the Beltway that $7,500 tax credit could potentially be $10,000 in terms of a credit and that's going to be a massive catalyst not just for Tesla, but for the EV ecosystem in the U.S.," Ives tells Yahoo Finance Live. 

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Hopefully it doesn't exclude model Y in whatever incentive they go with. Outside of a Tesla, nothing on market will reliably let me go to a single vehicle in my area due to the lack of chargers. Until then, I'll keep rocking my Leaf and second car. Maybe I'll replace the second car with something fun and sporty (Miata?) if they get excluded.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Speleothing posted:

What a waste of money. You could have taken your whole family on like 5 nice vacations for that price difference.

For me, I'll judge it in the end by how much joy it gives me. The way I think about cost is that I divide the actual cost by the number of times it will make me happy. My benchmark is a Double-Double Animal Style with Animal Style Fries from In-n-Out which always makes me happy. In this case, I'll use it every day for its presumed lifespan of 10 years. I also know that the feeling of acceleration makes me happy. My current daily driver is a 2016 Outback 3.6R which has a flat-six that produces 256hp. It's fun because it has more power you expect it to have. The negative about it is that it has a CVT so the responsiveness to stepping on the accelerator varies a lot based on the situation. I also love the Outback because I find its performance consistent on a wide variety of surfaces. The X is almost identical in size to my Outback, so, minus the engine, it has more storage capacity and certainly more towing capacity. Additionally, the Outback has only 5 seats, so can't drive kids + wife + grandparents in the same car. Finally, with the X, I am really looking forward to the instant acceleration and the insane speed. However, I will be losing some of the Outback's versatility. When it comes to travel, my plan is to use it for lots of weekend road trips with the family.

confused fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 7, 2021

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Westy543 posted:

Apparently there's rumor (per Yahoo finance...) of the US ev incentive jumping up to 10k and of course applying at point of sale.

Tack an msrp cap (maybe even a sliding scale - 45k gets 10k, reduced to like 2-3k at 60k)and we're in business.

Edit: saving a click

This would all be great but it’s also not going to happen because democrats don’t actually have the votes within their own party. Whatever ends up passing will be significantly watered down.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

Using the efficiency numbers for the new Hummer I get about 285kWh :stare:

Rough guesstimate in 2021 with GMs $/kwh price in 2019 of $150 and the 2024 target of $100 makes that a $40k battery :eyepop:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ola posted:

It doesn't matter anyway with regards to electrical safety, it's not 400 V live DC at all times. It has to go through a little dance of detection and testing before it switches on power.

It’s wild that inductive charging systems were developed and deployed to avoid dangerous high tension conductors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTryhfFWnC8&t=153s

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

Rough guesstimate in 2021 with GMs $/kwh price in 2019 of $150 and the 2024 target of $100 makes that a $40k battery :eyepop:

Yep! This is why batteries with that much capacity for bigger vehicles are going to be difficult.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Public HV catenary system when.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Platystemon posted:

It’s wild that inductive charging systems were developed and deployed to avoid dangerous high tension conductors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTryhfFWnC8&t=153s

MagneCharge (aka J1773) was neat, if not inefficient.

The chargers took the incoming AC rectified it to DC then converted it back to high frequency AC at several Khz. This was inductively coupled to a matching coil on the car side, which converted the high frequency AC back to DC. The communications and control protocol used RF at first, and later IR. But it was 2-way and much more advanced than today's simplistic J1772. This explains the size of the Level 1 charger they grab out of the trunk in that video... It has a lot to do!

One of the articles I read on it said they had demonstrated the tech in excess of 50kW. I bet that put out some heat....

stevewm fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 8, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Seems like a dealer here in Sweden is doing a 36 month / 45000km lease of the new Fiat 500e base (I presume) version for $234 a month. Don't think servicing or insurance is included (which it sometimes is). Pretty cheap way of owning a car, not to mention an EV.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 8, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

Seems like a dealer here in Sweden is doing a 36 month / 45000km lease of the new Fiat 500e base (I presume) version for $234 a month. Don't think servicing or insurance is included (which it sometimes is). Pretty cheap way of owning a car, not to mention an EV.

With no cash up front?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ola posted:

With no cash up front?

Very sparse info, but didn't say anything about it Yeah no cash up front. Could be 10000km/year as well since I now see that many leasing deals have that instead of the normal 15000. It's a special celebratory deal with 15 cars, so could be a decent deal.
Seems to be a ton of decent leasing deals now for EVs here in Sweden. Very tempting.

Edit: Found info.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Doesn't the 500e suck?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

Very sparse info, but didn't say anything about it Yeah no cash up front. Could be 10000km/year as well since I now see that many leasing deals have that instead of the normal 15000. It's a special celebratory deal with 15 cars, so could be a decent deal.
Seems to be a ton of decent leasing deals now for EVs here in Sweden. Very tempting.

Edit: Found info.

You can lease a Kona for 2995 SEK as well, if you want something with a bit more range.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Charles posted:

Doesn't the 500e suck?

I think the new one is quite good actually. The first one had a tiny battery, no DC charging etc.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You can lease a Kona for 2995 SEK as well, if you want something with a bit more range.

Wow yea for 1k SEK more I'd easily go for a Kona. But yeah, drat now I'm looking at teslabjörn videos and this might not end well. When/if I we get an EV it will have to be something that can do long journeys in comfort though. I'm not getting something small (been there, done that) like a 500e unless we need 2 cars (which we don't).

I think leasing is the way to go with EVs though (as discussed earlier in the thread).

Edit: Yeah I watched some reviews of the new 500e and it seems like they did a whole new car. It's bigger in all dimensions and has different interior, tech etc.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 8, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

I think the new one is quite good actually. The first one had a tiny battery, no DC charging etc.

Oh, turns out that's the only one we got in the U.S., 100% a compliance car.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

MrOnBicycle posted:

You can lease a Hyundai Ionic EV (2020 version) here (California) for $99/mo.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
^^^Yeah but cars are much more expensive here in general.

Anyway:
Did some quick (tired) generic "bad scenario" maths and since I'll have a 110km total commute at 80-100km/h each day (for 6 months), and most EVs consumtion seems to be around 150-200Wh per KM at that speed (bearing in mind that I'll want AC, heating, pre-heat/cool and all that), it'll likely be daily usage of about 16-22kWh, which would mean charging at least 2 times during the weekdays. There won't be charging at home or at work, so I'll have to rely on quick chargers which seem to charge about 4-5 SEK (~$0.50-0.60) per kW. My current car does 0.64 on a very bad day at 110 on gas only, so I'll go with that for the calculation. Should be a saving of about $60 a month by going on expensive electricty, expensive gas and bad consumtion of the PHEV.
I can go shopping for a maximum of 2 hours at my local store and charge for 2 hours (11kw/h chargers) for free. We usually do a weeks shopping every weekend and can go for walks to drag it out. We usually do this anyway to go to different stores. There are plenty of fast-ish chargers in my city as well, so should be fine for the weekday charges. There are 50kW/h chargers on the way home from work.
Only one IONITY 350kW/h charger here though, and it's not in a convinient place for work.

After 6 months I'll very likely go back to bicycling to work, so I doubt doing a big chuck of km early will matter much in the end. Might do some road trips in Europe as well. Will have to fit a pram in the future as well.

Sounds reasonable?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I personally think you're going to make yourself miserable without having charging at either work or home.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I personally think you're going to make yourself miserable without having charging at either work or home.

I agree 100% with this. EVs should be better/more convenient overall than ICE vehicles. I think it's better to wait until charging at home or work becomes available.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This would all be great but it’s also not going to happen because democrats don’t actually have the votes within their own party. Whatever ends up passing will be significantly watered down.

I hate that this is true :smith:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Are there any announced EVs coming this year that should make me question pulling the trigger on a Niro EV sometime this month? It has to be under 15' in length (which eliminates most options including every Tesla) and as far as I'm aware the only upcoming one that fits would be the Chevy Bolt EUV, which doesn't seem to offer anything special over the Niro and wouldn't get the existing tax credit assuming nothing happens to change it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

Sounds reasonable?

Are there any slow charging spots near you where you could leave the car overnight? This is a good site for that: https://www.uppladdning.nu/ Also, 50 kW chargers often have a Type 2 which you can leave the car at without blocking the DC.

If you need to rely on fast charging alone, go for the biggest battery you can comfortably afford. Kona 64 kWh should be good. Ionity is also very expensive if you don't have a VW.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

nessin posted:

Are there any announced EVs coming this year that should make me question pulling the trigger on a Niro EV sometime this month? It has to be under 15' in length (which eliminates most options including every Tesla) and as far as I'm aware the only upcoming one that fits would be the Chevy Bolt EUV, which doesn't seem to offer anything special over the Niro and wouldn't get the existing tax credit assuming nothing happens to change it.

If you can squeeze a bit more, the Ioniq 5 is 15.2 feet per Wikipedia and if is as promised, quite a good new car. Otherwise, if you're in the US, your options are a bit more limited. I like the supercruise option of the Bolt, but the limited charge rate is really disappointing.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

confused posted:

For me, I'll judge it in the end by how much joy it gives me. The way I think about cost is that I divide the actual cost by the number of times it will make me happy. My benchmark is a Double-Double Animal Style with Animal Style Fries from In-n-Out which always makes me happy. In this case, I'll use it every day for its presumed lifespan of 10 years. I also know that the feeling of acceleration makes me happy. My current daily driver is a 2016 Outback 3.6R which has a flat-six that produces 256hp. It's fun because it has more power you expect it to have. The negative about it is that it has a CVT so the responsiveness to stepping on the accelerator varies a lot based on the situation. I also love the Outback because I find its performance consistent on a wide variety of surfaces. The X is almost identical in size to my Outback, so, minus the engine, it has more storage capacity and certainly more towing capacity. Additionally, the Outback has only 5 seats, so can't drive kids + wife + grandparents in the same car. Finally, with the X, I am really looking forward to the instant acceleration and the insane speed. However, I will be losing some of the Outback's versatility. When it comes to travel, my plan is to use it for lots of weekend road trips with the family.

More people should measure happiness with hamburgers.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

confused posted:

Huh. My wife loves her Outback but also fell hard for the X she test drove. Let us know how that transition goes for you.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Silly Burrito posted:

Maybe not quite good enough to top the current thread subtitle but I'm stealing dis for the chat thread.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

ilkhan posted:

Huh. My wife loves her Outback but also fell hard for the X she test drove. Let us know how that transition goes for you.

When I was first considering trading in my Model 3 I was going to go for an outback XT, test drove it, liked it, but the X had better storage, driving feel, electric still (big plus), and a few other minor things like clearance, etc. I found a good deal on a pre-owned X 100D that came fully loaded.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Silly Burrito posted:

I am a man of simple pleasures.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

confused posted:

For me, I'll judge it in the end by how much joy it gives me. The way I think about cost is that I divide the actual cost by the number of times it will make me happy.
A bit off topic but thanks for this, I am at the juncture of having to make an important financial decision and this is really helping me think through it better.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Maybe not quite good enough to top the current thread subtitle but I'm stealing dis for the chat thread.

:tipshat:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

nessin posted:

The new Kia looks pretty awesome.

That being said, I love my 2020 Kia Niro EV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

A bit off topic but thanks for this, I am at the juncture of having to make an important financial decision and this is really helping me think through it better.

Glad I could help!