Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

You guys, Near only failed to take the world by storm because of those pesky hackers trying to figure out how to make SD cards work with the Vita. Imagine a world where this Streetpass knockoff would still be around, and not shut down prematurely much like Gravity Rush 2's online services that didn't last even a year because that game didn't sell millions.

Imagine a world where PSN would be even more of a lovely, badly glued up mess of half assed programming pieces if the 2011 hack hadn't happened to force Sony to reinforce its security. Remember how it took them like 20 days to restore the service? loving lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

He specifically mentions the 2011 PSN hack which was a big event for Sony

is this the joke or am I missing something?

wasn't the 2011 hack explicitly because they didn't give a gently caress about anyones information or to have any sort of worthwhile online service in place prior to being shut down for like a month?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Speaking of the shutdown, I officially bought my last Vita game (unless someone sells me on another game before the store closesl

Soul Sacrifice Delta

Never played it but I did play the original. For $18 I figured it was worth grabbing.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Soul Sacrifice has wireless LAN which I always thought was neat

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

iirc for the 3G you could only use it for, uh, web browsing? Like you couldn't play games online? lolol

Thought I saw some people saying they were playing PS4 remote play while out and about using the 3G. If true, and it actually worked well enough, that would be a pretty cool use of it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

did some googling, looking like that wasn't possible (per reddit posts)

quote:

What are the benefits of a 3G-enabled PS Vita?

With the 3G-enabled PS Vita, you can game with real-time connection and immediately socialize with your community through news feeds and turn-based multiplayer game sessions. You won’t miss a beat since you can stay up to date with continuous scores and game ranking news feeds with LiveArea, compete for in-game Trophies, cross-game text messaging with Party, and connect through popular social apps like Facebook and Twitter, all while on the go. Don’t forget that you can also login to the PS Store over the 3G network to download add-ons for some of your favorite titles and browse new games and content.

I guess you could do turn based online games or some poo poo? and tweet, and check your mail, idk.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 8, 2021

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

is this the joke or am I missing something?

wasn't the 2011 hack explicitly because they didn't give a gently caress about anyones information or to have any sort of worthwhile online service in place prior to being shut down for like a month?

The point is the hack made them go “oh gently caress we need to do something and never ever get hacked in any way again”, which led to over correcting and making a bunch of silly choices (proprietary memory, ports, etc) for the vita and taking the option to pull the plug now that the system is wide open just in case there’s anything else lurking that could expose them further.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

huh? The PSN hack?

I thought the proprietary Vita memory cards was because of all the PSP home-brew, not the PSN hack. And as it always goes, trying to restrict pirating and adding a higher price cap to the proprietary poo poo often seems to have the opposite effect of encouraging piracy

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

huh? The PSN hack?
The PSN hack exposed them to a lot of liability, and I imagine it made higher-ups at Sony demand answers from SCE in a way that they hadn't been concerned about before.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I thought the proprietary Vita memory cards was because of all the PSP home-brew, not the PSN hack. And as it always goes, trying to restrict pirating and adding a higher price cap to the proprietary poo poo often seems to have the opposite effect of encouraging piracy
I agree that the choice to use proprietary memory cards being related to the PSN hack is not likely. The Vita's Japanese launch was in December 2011 so I imagine that the memory card form-factor was long in place by April 2011. Also, proprietary storage has always been Sony's MO.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Not sure formersonydude is completely on the ball here

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Memory stick pro duo was only proprietary in the sense that it was a Sony format. You could still plug it into a computer and gently caress around with the files on it all you liked, making it super trivial to put whatever you want into the console in your quest to crack it wide open.

The vita memory card being literally just for the vita is the step taken to make it more secure.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BisterdDave posted:

Makes me a little more nervous about running homebrew apps. Maybe best to use them while disconnected from online services?

I wiped my PSN account off the Vita when I hacked it because lmao who cares anymore but also if they haven't done anything until now they probably won't ever, it's just FUD.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

Memory stick pro duo was only proprietary in the sense that it was a Sony format. You could still plug it into a computer and gently caress around with the files on it all you liked, making it super trivial to put whatever you want into the console in your quest to crack it wide open.
It was a Sony propriety format, yes, but as you say it was supported across many Sony devices and there were PC memory stick readers/writers. Also the PSP let you straight USB Mass Storage mount them.

Basically Memory Stick in 2004 was a competitor to SD at a time when SD wasn't quite as established as it was in 2011.

Does stock Vita support MTP transfer of media files? I assume so, but maybe Sony was thinking they could patch exploits in the MTP transfer code. Honestly I can't remember--I used vitamtp exactly once and VitaShell for everything else after.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Even VitaShell only properly works over ftp, at least for me. Sony really tried to lock the end user out of the filesystem as much as possible.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

CMA is a horrible fork fuckup of MTP I think, but it's the only 'proper' way to transfer files, you can't send videos or photos to it via standard MTP.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

man I feel like this thread is really apologetic for Sony, idk, lol

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Even if you take it at face value, sony claiming they shut down Vita support because it got hacked is still spiteful and dumb. There's barely any correlation between piracy and lost sales, it's entirely about corporate fucks dodging blame as they fight each other for the chance to shove their snouts into the money trough.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Well, you see. Not every person at Sony was complicit. Sony was just reading the market at the time, and some members of the board heard a wicked story at bible study about children pirating/torrenting video games. Henceforth, it was purely a calculated and strategic marketing decision to mitigate losses

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
don't you see? the memory cards have to cost over 4 times as much as the microSD everyone already uses because that way the pirates won't be able to afford them!!!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Are you sure

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

y'all are a tree house echo chamber in here I don't wanna get dog piled, treading caution, lmao 😬

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

ur friggin face is apologetic :iceburn:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Okay?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

police will never help you

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

police will never help you

:hmmyes:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

the vita thread police are gonna bust your rear end dude

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It has a very 'if you're not going to play by our rules we're taking our toys and you can't play with them' kind of energy to it. I wonder if they'd try to take away the ability to play the games you own as well, if it wouldn't create an incredible backlash and maybe legal problems if they did.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Morpheus posted:

It has a very 'if you're not going to play by our rules we're taking our toys and you can't play with them' kind of energy to it. I wonder if they'd try to take away the ability to play the games you own as well, if it wouldn't create an incredible backlash and maybe legal problems if they did.

That’s most likely the only reason they haven’t just turned off the content servers entirely.

They’re a business at the end of the day, I think some people ITT are mistaking “Sony apologist” for people who acknowledge and understand that corporations aren’t our friends and ultimately they’re going to do whatever makes or saves them the most money, as long as it’s worth weathering the minor PR hit from the terminally online.

I’d wager 99% of people don’t give a poo poo about losing access to those stores because they’re playing PS4 and upwards, it’s the same story as full backwards compatibility being so loudly clamoured for on the internet and then basically nobody in the real world using it because they have new games to play so who gives a poo poo.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 9, 2021

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

You had me in the first half

I’d wager 99% of people don’t give a poo poo about losing access to those stores because they’re playing PS4 and upwards, it’s the same story as full backwards compatibility being so loudly clamoured for on the internet and then basically nobody in the real world using it because they have new games to play so who gives a poo poo.

but nah fam, this ain't it. Y'all really bringing it full-circle.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nah fam

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

are you... are you jim ryan?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

no one cares about backwards compatibility, they say, while booting up their 8bit ROM collection on a high-end gaming PC

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

are you... are you jim ryan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_JVVUnCWnY

vibes

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

log off

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

95% of my playtime on my Xbone has been 360 and og Xbox games.

That’s for two reasons: 1) backwards compatibility rules and 2) the Xbone doesn’t have any good games that I don’t already have on PC or PS4

:colbert:

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
All I know is if they take me down for playing a ..'copy'.. of Akiba's Trip I'm snitching on all of you.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
The memory cards are 90% of why it failed and they didn't do it cause of piracy. It was absolutely an anti consumer move for the sole purpose of trying to beef up profits by ripping people off. Sony's off to a terrible start this gen too with the awful psn store redesign and the closing of all their 1st party Japanese development. Not sure I want a ps5 now that all the exclusives are just gonna be cookie cutter open world games.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honestly this generation, like last generation, is best served with a Switch and a PC

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

computers are for work

consoles are for games

i guess computers are also for making music but only begrudgingly