Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
As I discussed a page or two ago, I'm hoping to get a new ride in the near future, and plan on getting it completely wrapped with some paint protection film. Also oil sprayed.

Should I get it wrapped before or after the oil spraying? Seems like before would be better since the anti-rust poo poo might drip and cause problems with adhesion but I'd like some opinions.

Thanks goony goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

smooth jazz posted:

So I just had my car corrected and coated with this newfangled ceramic self healing coating called Revivify.

Apparently light scratches and swirl marks will self heal when exposed to heat, including parking in the sun.

It's a newer product which seems to be gaining traction in Canada mostly. Several reputable shops have switched to this coating so I figured what the hell.

Anyways the car certainly looks like a candy black gloss bomb now.

Washed it and didn't detect a single new swirl mark in the fresh correction which was nice.

When drying with my leaf blower, water flew off the panels faster than i've ever experienced.

Anyways, time will tell if this coating delivers. I'm very happy with it for now.

How long did it take for the correction and application? I don’t drive very much but I’ve been thinking about getting a coating.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

As I discussed a page or two ago, I'm hoping to get a new ride in the near future, and plan on getting it completely wrapped with some paint protection film. Also oil sprayed.

Should I get it wrapped before or after the oil spraying? Seems like before would be better since the anti-rust poo poo might drip and cause problems with adhesion but I'd like some opinions.

Thanks goony goons.

Is oil spraying undercoating? If so, I don't think one would interfere with installation of the other...

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

How long did it take for the correction and application? I don’t drive very much but I’ve been thinking about getting a coating.

3 days.

1. Wash, decon and prep.
2 Paint correction and coating application. Cure overnight.
3. Pickup in the afternoon.

Really pleased with it, but can't get the depth of gloss to show in pics...

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 27, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

smooth jazz posted:

Is oil spraying undercoating? If so, I don't think one would interfere with installation of the other...

Undercoating is more like tar that they spray on the underside. Oil spray (though its not always "oil") is stuff that they spray on the underside, and inside doors, trunk etc.. After I get my car done, it sometimes will leak out for a few days, and every now and then.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

In that case I'd do ppf first...

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

wesleywillis posted:

Thanks goony goons.

The people doing the wrap will have to clean each panel thoroughly before application, so I wouldn't sweat it. The more I think about it, after would be more convenient as you'd have people cleaning up the drips for you

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I have a quote for $5,500 after tax for full body PPF (Premium Shield Elite Self-healing) and a 3 year Feryn Lab Ceramic Coating. This is on a 2021 4Runner TRD Pro here in Austin.

Is this a reasonable quote? I have never done PPF or Ceramic Coating before. I'm still on the fence on whether or not I even want to do it at all.

arbybaconator fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 28, 2021

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

The quote is typical for a full PPF & ceramic.

Imo PPF and especially coatings are for people who are obsessive compulsive about their vehicle.

Consider yourself lucky if you don't have this affliction and save 5k?

Edit: what color is the truck?
PPFs will yellow with time, so just be aware if it's white.
Once again it's Scott H, in the middle of a pretty definitive long term PPF test. He's in Texas as well.

https://youtu.be/40gRY5x75TU

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 29, 2021

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

smooth jazz posted:

The quote is typical for a full PPF & ceramic.

Imo PPF and especially coatings are for people who are obsessive compulsive about their vehicle.

Consider yourself lucky if you don't have this affliction and save 5k?

Edit: what color is the truck?
PPFs will yellow with time, so just be aware if it's white.
Once again it's Scott H, in the middle of a pretty definitive long term PPF test. He's in Texas as well.

https://youtu.be/40gRY5x75TU

Color is Lunar Rock - which is like a greenish grey.

I should also say that this vehicle will be parked outside 24/7 in the full sun. I wouldn't call myself obsessive compulsive, that's for sure. With my last vehicle (2018 volvo xc60) I would wash once every two weeks and use a maguires spray after. I liked to keep it shiny when I could.

Thanks for the video - will dig into this channel more.

arbybaconator fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 29, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
For almost 6 grand, couldn't you just repaint later whatever is necessary?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Repainting cars is always problematic and can easily turn out poo poo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

For almost 6 grand, couldn't you just repaint later whatever is necessary?

In Canadastan, 6 racks will get you a mediocre paint job at most places. I guess if you're going to sell the car after then it doesn't matter.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Anything less than a perfectly done repaint job will also be obvious upon close inspection, and will raise more questions than it answers.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Pocket the cash and sell the car for $toyota regardless because it’s a Toyota.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Big Taint posted:

Pocket the cash and sell the car for $toyota regardless because it’s a Toyota.

I think i'm leaning towards this option

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Got some new wheels, can you ceramic coat them? Or is there any recommendations for protecting them before I get tires mounted?

Silver rpf1s, not sure if they're painted or powder coated from the factory.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Absolutely can. Gtechniq has a wheel armor kit. I did it when I got my new to me Wedsports and was the first ceramic I had done. Easy with the wheels off.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

honda whisperer posted:

Got some new wheels, can you ceramic coat them? Or is there any recommendations for protecting them before I get tires mounted?

Silver rpf1s, not sure if they're painted or powder coated from the factory.

Yes definitely. Easy to do yourself especially while the wheels are still fresh and unmounted.

A good review of the usual suspects here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEnX91p44mk&t=1018s

I used Gyeon Rim last year and it's still going strong.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

If you use an aggressive pad I find it a complete waste of time. I used getecniq stuff and it didn’t do anything vs my btcc pad deposits

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Awesome much appreciated. Will probably be aggressive pads later but stock atm.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hey, gonna ask here and in the tool thread because I think these are the biggest crossovers: got a friend looking for a pressure washer primarily for car washing, so electric. He can borrow my gas one for higher flow/higher PSI stuff.

I've previous had a low end Karcher electric that had a plastic pump housing and was garbage, required almost it's value in parts to fix when it cracked, etc. So what's worth buying in this space for 120v with the full understanding that it's going to be lower pressure and half or less the GPM of a gas unit?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
lovely answer, but price is a factor. Here’s the most comprehensive video series I know of:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG_BGdABDC9s97iOZTLJVO3TF-K3fx99g

I have a Ryobi. I upgraded the hose and gun almost immediately because stock was hot garbage. Other than that it works well for car washing and random projects.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

savesthedayrocks posted:

lovely answer, but price is a factor. Here’s the most comprehensive video series I know of:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG_BGdABDC9s97iOZTLJVO3TF-K3fx99g

I have a Ryobi. I upgraded the hose and gun almost immediately because stock was hot garbage. Other than that it works well for car washing and random projects.

Yikes that's a lot of video. But thank you, it's a start.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Motronic posted:

Yikes that's a lot of video. But thank you, it's a start.

I've used a Ryobi 1900psi unit for the past year washing my car and have no complaints

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I've come to the conclusion that it's much easier to do the rinse stage with a plain gardenhose.

Electric pressure washers just don't have the gpm...

So I do the pre-rinse and foam cannon with the Sunjoe and unplug it to rinse off. Clunky, but saves time.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I’m ashamed to say it, but I use one of those hose-mounted foam guns for regular washes and really like it. It lets me knock out a really fast rinse-bucket-only wash.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

smooth jazz posted:

I've come to the conclusion that it's much easier to do the rinse stage with a plain gardenhose.

Electric pressure washers just don't have the gpm...

So I do the pre-rinse and foam cannon with the Sunjoe and unplug it to rinse off. Clunky, but saves time.

I use a Sunjoe, too. I haven't found a foam cannon that's worth a poo poo, they keep dropping the soap container (why don't they make some kind of positive locking engagement? It's infuriating.), but other than that, it's exactly what I want when washing a car.

Get the car wet with the 15* wand, foam it up, hand wipe with a finger-y microfiber mitt, 15* wand rinse, dry. It's quick, easy, and does a great job.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
A great way to increase quality of life when using power washers to clean cars is to get one of those "wand delete" kits that replace the long stupid wand with a short "pistol".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just bought a pressure washer "for my parents" since they live in a house and I'm in an apartment. It's from Lidl but probably made by one of the regular suspects, and was cheaper and better than the Karcher alternatives as far as I could tell.

Only issue is that it has a different hose connector so the foam gun I've had laying around for a few years isn't compatible. So I had to come up with a custom adapter that I'd have to have it machined somewhere since a 3d printer won't hold the pressure probably.

The default wand is definitely a bit annoying for car washing purposes, though this adapter would get rid of it when using it for foam at least. So far just rinsing it with the a bit of pressure already makes a big difference, though some dirt still stays there but a lightest touch with a finger removes it, so I definitely need to foam it up and have a go with the mitt.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Messed around with the foam gun (wrong tool for this particular job) and washed the truck for the first time.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Phone posted:

Messed around with the foam gun (wrong tool for this particular job) and washed the truck for the first time.

You should have worn a gopro and put a video on YouTube. When was that truck last washed, 2004?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
2015?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Has anybody ever had brake dust from track pads cement itself onto your car after it got wet? I ran Hawk DTC 60’s for a few events last year and after it got wet it looked like this:

I was able to clay bar it off of the paint itself, but it’s still stuck really good to the wheels. It’s on thick in a few places. Have tried a few wheel cleaners with no luck.

I did some research and found lots of people with the same issues, and the following are what some people said got it off:

Sonax wheel cleaner
IronX iron remover (since it’s a metallic pad and this seems to be rusty)
Starbrite nonskid boat deck cleaner (?)
Prosoco 600 brick cleaner ( :stare: )

I’m unconvinced of the deck cleaner because it appears to be extremely mild, and the brick cleaner is super acidic and it scares the poo poo out of me. Some people say it works but who knows if the paint will take it or not.

I ordered some Sonax and some IronX.

Anybody got any experience with this?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

i own every Bionicle posted:

Has anybody ever had brake dust from track pads cement itself onto your car after it got wet? I ran Hawk DTC 60’s for a few events last year and after it got wet it looked like this:

When I've dealt with wheels that have hardened pad residue, I've dropped down to a dish washing liquid, undiluted, sitting for a while then fingernail. Takes forever, but I've never met a wheel I couldn't recover.

If it's not quite that bad, magic eraser has come in very helpful, too.

Sometimes it takes more physical scrubbing contact than the spray-on products can provide.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

meatpimp posted:

When I've dealt with wheels that have hardened pad residue, I've dropped down to a dish washing liquid, undiluted, sitting for a while then fingernail. Takes forever, but I've never met a wheel I couldn't recover.

If it's not quite that bad, magic eraser has come in very helpful, too.

Sometimes it takes more physical scrubbing contact than the spray-on products can provide.

Yeah I scrubbed it really hard with a brush and stuff and couldn’t get it to budge. I’ve had other build ups from ceramic pads that comes off with some scrubbing (the spray on spray off cleaner always seems to need real agitation, unlike what they say on the bottle). But this stuff is cemented on there. I’ll add dish soap to the list of stuff to try after Sonax and IronX if those fail.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I seem to recall, possibly a goon many years ago having this problem, and using oven cleaner.
If I recall correctly, its something like if you get the dust on your poo poo, clean it off asap with (products, don't recall what) otherwise, if it just gets wet, it will harden the gently caress on there.

Sorry I ain't got anything else besides that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

i own every Bionicle posted:

I was able to clay bar it off of the paint itself, but it’s still stuck really good to the wheels. It’s on thick in a few places. Have tried a few wheel cleaners with no luck.

I did some research and found lots of people with the same issues, and the following are what some people said got it off:

Sonax wheel cleaner
IronX iron remover (since it’s a metallic pad and this seems to be rusty)
Starbrite nonskid boat deck cleaner (?)
Prosoco 600 brick cleaner ( :stare: )

I’m unconvinced of the deck cleaner because it appears to be extremely mild, and the brick cleaner is super acidic and it scares the poo poo out of me. Some people say it works but who knows if the paint will take it or not.

I ordered some Sonax and some IronX.

track wheels are consumables

switch to carbotechs or porterfields if the corrosiveness of the DTC-60s is an issue

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

I seem to recall, possibly a goon many years ago having this problem, and using oven cleaner.
If I recall correctly, its something like if you get the dust on your poo poo, clean it off asap with (products, don't recall what) otherwise, if it just gets wet, it will harden the gently caress on there.

Sorry I ain't got anything else besides that.

Yeah I remember that, too. Maybe it was someone named Ash? Or Bape? One of the guys that drove cars on the nurburgring, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dad just got a Lexus RC350. The hood, front bumper, and front fenders are covered in film. It's an okay job, they didn't wrap the edges, so it's kinda janky, but I'm recommending that he leaves it on for a while.

With that, what is cleaning procedure for film? What product do you finish with? I've never done anything with a film-covered panel before.