Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The First Avenger at least had the (bad) excuse that they wanted to use a title other than "Captain America" for overseas markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

catlord posted:

God, I want to know the story of how they ended up with that name, it's just such a bad, dumb name that sometimes the name comes to mind, unprompted, and I can't help but laugh. The 'Batman v Superman' makes it sound like a court drama, the 'Dawn of Justice' sounds goofy as gently caress, put them together and it sounds even sillier. Please tell me, WB Execs, why did you think this title would go over swimmingly?

I remember somewhere someone was defending the use of "v." instead of "vs." saying it was actually the correct abbreviation.

"Dawn of Justice" just comes off as pretentious though. It's as bad as "Age of Ultron". Ultron only existed for like, what, a week? Hell of an "Age".

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 9, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should have called it Batman Against the Superman

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They should have called it Batman The Bat of Gotham Against the Superman

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No no no! Gotta fit "Man of Steel" in there to keep your titles consistent!

The Bat of Gotham Against the Superman, Who is The Man of Steel

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A League of Their Own II: Batman & Superman

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
batman hates superman: whiny piss baby

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Man of Steel Meets The Bat of Flesh

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Martha's Son vs. Martha's Son

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Davros1 posted:

I remember somewhere someone was defending the use of "v." instead of "vs." saying it was actually the correct abbreviation.

"Dawn of Justice" just comes off as pretentious though. It's as bad as "Age of Ultron". Ultron only existed for like, what, a week? Hell of an "Age".

Considering King Kong vs Godzilla was '62, I think the ship's long sailed on "v." vs. "vs." I'm not sure where "v." has held on, outside of court cases and the like.

At least Age of Ultron was named after a comic arc, what's Dawn of Justice's excuse?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Davros1 posted:

I recall one argument being "v" can also mean And.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I actually rewatched King Kong Vs Godzilla the other day and let me tell you despite my complaints about GvK at least it's not King Kong Vs Godzilla

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

That's a fascinating interview. It's hard to evaluate a writer working in blockbuster films because the end product goes through so many revisions and is touched by so many people that to make a declarative statement about the skills of a writer based entirely on the finished film is difficult. You don't know what edicts they had to stick to and how their script got changed in the process of shooting and editing and this interview provides a rare insight into that process. Chris Terrio has been credited on two films that I consider to have the among the worst writing in a blockbuster film of the last five years; Batman v Superman (and yes, I include the Ultimate Edition which is while better than the theatrical still exemplary of how not to structure character and story) and Rise of Skywalker.

It does seem like being a writer on one of these films is a thankless loving task - all the people who demand changes or add dumb notes don't have to live with the reputation of the fallout. It makes me really keen to see Argo, as that's a film he clearly takes pride in and I would like to see it just to get a better appreciation of his work. But what is clear, and what stands out, is how much there just isn't a basic understanding of what drama and storytelling is at the executive level of these companies. This isn't news of course, but that interview does starkly lay it out. I don't know if Terrio is a good writer who got hosed over in the system, or a bad writer who none-the-less was cut off at the knees by the process but it is depressing how writers are often seen as essentially there to translate a bunch of notes and focus groups results into a screenplay as opposed to crafting a story.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 9, 2021

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I actually rewatched King Kong Vs Godzilla the other day and let me tell you despite my complaints about GvK at least it's not King Kong Vs Godzilla

I don't what version you watched but I think the Japanese one is a decent film. The American re-edit is pretty bad though.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TwoPair posted:

Oh, ha, I didn't actually expect anything in the movie (nor do I want it really), I just thought you were saying it was lame when goons post about that... which it is, but it's still hilarious to me.

Frankly I don't know what I'd actually want out of a 90s Spidey appearance in S-V2 besides Barnes' voice. I guess maybe an appearance of Peter Parker's awful awful casual wear?

It'll be cool to see that animation style mixed in with the others when he visits Miles' universe or whatever

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blockhouse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eXgDT5GMRY

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Karloff posted:

I don't what version you watched but I think the Japanese one is a decent film. The American re-edit is pretty bad though.

I watched the American one with the awful cut-ins that remind you that until the 70's most American sci-fi movies were just white dudes in rooms talking about the monster/alien/ghost/whatever instead of actually doing anything with it

Still, even excising those from my memory the movie still ends up being mostly King Kong on a raft while Godzilla has some pretty tepid rampages compared to the prior two movies and the Kong suit looks like hot garbage no matter how you slice it

One of the few great memorable bits of the movie.

For people who haven't seen Kong vs Godzilla this is from the only time the two actually fight, which is the last nine minutes of the movie

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

They are doing that.

I thought the sale of Fox killed the Buffy reboot.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

X-O posted:

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1379560864198623235

OK you have my attention even more now. I wasn't a huge fan of the show but his voice work was really good.
FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THA'TS HOLY RESOLVE THE GOD DAMNED MOTHER loving MARY JANE CLIFFHANGER

I have been pissed off for 25 years about that and no I'm not going to actually look up when it aired

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Enter the Spidervesrse 2: Neogenic Nightmare part 75

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

CapnAndy posted:

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THA'TS HOLY RESOLVE THE GOD DAMNED MOTHER loving MARY JANE CLIFFHANGER

I have been pissed off for 25 years about that and no I'm not going to actually look up when it aired

It gets revealed that Mary Jane was a mermaid all along and had to get back to the ocean.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1379560864198623235

OK you have my attention even more now. I wasn't a huge fan of the show but his voice work was really good.

He is the canon Spider-man.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I'm reasonably ambivalent to Snyder and his Cut these days, but I am actively repulsed by everything about Joss Whedon, so now I want to get a hashtag going that makes Marvel release the Snyder cut for Age of Ultron. Just have Snyder reshoot and recut everything Whedon has done in his mediocre life and erase him from public memory.

No.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I didn't view the end of Spider-Man as a cliffhanger. Mary Jane had been lost for like half a season by then. At the end when Madame Web is like "Now let's go find her" I view that more as a statement that they WILL find her and everything will be alright, and how isn't that important.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

He's mainly happy about the ZSJL being out and the BvS: Ultimate being out because whatever problems people have with them they were actual substantive criticisms of his work instead of criticisms of what someone else mutated his work to.

I keep wondering what Zack Sabre Jr. has to do with all of this.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Don't know what made me think of this but if Green Lantern had been a successful series I guess we would have had Ryan Reynolds in Zack Snyder's Justice League? Seems like that'd be a weird fit.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If Green Lantern had been a hit we probably would never have gotten any of Snyder's stuff.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vince MechMahon posted:

If Green Lantern had been a hit we probably would never have gotten any of Snyder's stuff.

Why? Snyder was already working on Man of Steel when GL came out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lobok posted:

Why? Snyder was already working on Man of Steel when GL came out.

I don't think they would have given him the full keys to the kingdom, and I bet they would have insisted on reshoots to get it more in line with their foundational cinematic universe movie, Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern. They'd make him add a bunch of fart jokes or whatever and he'd never come back.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vince MechMahon posted:

I don't think they would have given him the full keys to the kingdom, and I bet they would have insisted on reshoots to get it more in line with their foundational cinematic universe movie, Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern. They'd make him add a bunch of fart jokes or whatever and he'd never come back.

I mean, if it was DC's Iron Man in terms of success and appeal then I could see that. I wasn't really thinking of that level of success, just at least successful enough to continue instead of being a laughing stock and persona non grata in DC's other films.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lobok posted:

I mean, if it was DC's Iron Man in terms of success and appeal then I could see that. I wasn't really thinking of that level of success, just at least successful enough to continue instead of being a laughingstock and persona non grata in DC's other films.

I think it still would have gotten memory holed unless it was iron Man levels cause Reynolds also didn't really seem to like making it, by all counts. He apparently only even watched it for the first time recently.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Davros1 posted:

The Age of Ultron is actually referring to Tony’s vindication and actions influencing the ideology of his acolytes who will enforce his technological autocracy on a post-post-snap world.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lobok posted:

Don't know what made me think of this but if Green Lantern had been a successful series I guess we would have had Ryan Reynolds in Zack Snyder's Justice League? Seems like that'd be a weird fit.

We would have had Ryan Reynolds in George Miller's(yay!) Justice League starring Armie Hammer(yikes!) as Superman.
But Fury Road wouldn't exist.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

We would have had Ryan Reynolds in George Miller's(yay!) Justice League starring Armie Hammer(yikes!) as Superman.
But Fury Road wouldn't exist.

Hammer was Batman. I know he had a Superman cast too, but I don't remember who it was.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I don't know why it just hit me now but all the Ray Fisher stuff finally made me realize why War Machine and Falcon weren't on the team in Age of Ultron. It also explains why Gunn and Fred broke up on Angel and their relationship was never spoken of again.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ehh, characters break up all the time on TV for badly-written reasons. Fred and Gunn on the outs wasn't even the most egregious case on that show specifically, much less all the even dumber instances of awkward splits across the CW and on other networks.

"This creator being bad must be the reason for this bad plot" is an understandable impression, but a sketchy one nonetheless.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
also if it was some weird racist thing why would he have let the plot start to begin with

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Didn’t literally every single couple on both Buffy and Angel end badly through either breakups or death?

Except for Riley and his wife?

Edit: I guess Kennedy and willow sort of survived the series, but honestly that’s even more of a tragedy.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 10, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Like, the Whedonverse's racial mores were periodically sketchy too but, honestly, if we're really gonna link creator and creation in that way, a much easier target is him being adamant that every single one of his couples ends up unhappy, no matter what, whether it made any sense or not, which probably says something about his own personal...relationship...inclinations.

I mean. Y'know. If we're gonna do that. :v:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I mean if you’re going to bag on Whedon for anything relationshipwise it should probably be Xander and Dawn canonically becoming a couple after the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Didn’t literally every single couple on both Buffy and Angel end badly through either breakups or death?

Got bad news about real life.