Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm finding the Lumineth pretty time consuming to paint in AoS. I don't know if that counts as hard, or just...time consuming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I painted a cute tank

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Geisladisk posted:

I painted a cute tank

What'd you do for the weathering?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Dreylad posted:

I'm finding the Lumineth pretty time consuming to paint in AoS. I don't know if that counts as hard, or just...time consuming.

Yah, honestly gently caress that.

Bright whites with metal trim. Nooooo thank you.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Yeast posted:

Strangely enough, after painting necrons for most of the last year, this is the poo poo I crave. I just dipped my toes into lumineth with a box of wardens and I'm going with white and yellow because just gently caress my poo poo up fam. I am also a weirdo who really enjoys edge highlighting so :shrug:

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Geisladisk posted:

I painted a cute tank

GYRNO

The weathering on the treads is awesome, I really want to try the water streaking down like you've done

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I ordered this for an ability in the game they nerfed the next day.
Still fun to paint though!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holllly shiiiiiit :captainpop:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yeast posted:

Nobody says you have to paint them white!

But they are pretty detailed models, with lots of little bits and also lots of flowy cloths and armor pieces and stuff that takes awhile to paint.

This scheme is even canon!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

What'd you do for the weathering?

The mud is a copious amount of Typhus Corrosion. It has a little grit in it, so if you put down a lot, you get this nice crusty texture.

I basecoated the armour with Vallejo khaki, then stippled it lightly with bonewhite. I then stipled little dots along the edges. Finally, I put a little typhus corrosion into the largest dots from the stippling.

The streaking is really easy, just have a small amount of corrosion in the brush and drag it lightly down. The streak will naturally thin down the further you get.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I need to do a little green stuff repair of a detail (gap in a braid of hair) on a FW resin model because of an air bubble - will I need to use glue for that, or does green stuff stick well enough on its own?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Geisladisk posted:

The mud is a copious amount of Typhus Corrosion. It has a little grit in it, so if you put down a lot, you get this nice crusty texture.

I basecoated the armour with Vallejo khaki, then stippled it lightly with bonewhite. I then stipled little dots along the edges. Finally, I put a little typhus corrosion into the largest dots from the stippling.

The streaking is really easy, just have a small amount of corrosion in the brush and drag it lightly down. The streak will naturally thin down the further you get.

Typhus Corrosion is surprisingly versatile. Or maybe versatile is the wrong word, because it only does like two things, but it does them pretty darn well and I'm surprised it isn't talked about more. I used it to ugly up the interior of a wrecked Rhino I'm working on and was very happy with the results. I think you took it to the next level, though. Well done!

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

inscrutable horse posted:

I need to do a little green stuff repair of a detail (gap in a braid of hair) on a FW resin model because of an air bubble - will I need to use glue for that, or does green stuff stick well enough on its own?

Green Stuff on its own should work so long as you've properly washed off the mould release from the resin.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I was waiting for something on the wolf to dry so I put in a little effort on the base decoration to make up for it. Trying out volumetric lighting and blending

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Zaphod42 posted:

Nobody says you have to paint them white!

Posts image of yellow and metallic instead

Dig up stupid! :v:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I painted a robot

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Geisladisk posted:

I painted a robot

Nice! I like the weathering on the armour, and the base is pretty good too!

I've not been painting as much the last few weeks, work stuff was hitting like a truck. But, I've had a week or so off, so I managed to get some stuff done!

All Malifaux 2E/3E plastics.

3 Waldgeists. Theres a movie called "Barney Thompson" where someone describes Robert Carlyle as looking like a Haunted Tree, its all I could think of when painting these boys. The basing involved something I always find slightly comical; Painting actual wood so it looks more like wood.

A Librarian for the Freikorps faction. Almost entirely contrasts and metallics.

Hannah Lovelace, also Freikorps. There is an open sewer drain in the gutter on the base, so the tentacles are coming out of that, the angle of the photo does make it look a little like they are coming out of the cobbles.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Two Beans posted:

Green Stuff on its own should work so long as you've properly washed off the mould release from the resin.

Cool, thank you!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
xposting from specgames:

Got my murder jocks ready to rampage, going to gently caress up some lizards tomorrow.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The real answer for budget weathering / pigment powders is to find some dry pastels (usually a couple bucks in the art section of your local Walmart / Michaels) and scrape them with your exacto knife. Same exact stuff the expensive powders are made from and you get way more + a huge variety of colors. Mixing a few different tones together gets you a much more realistic and more visually interesting look, too.

I've said it before but I'll repeat it for the people in the back:

DOLLAR
STORE
EYESHADOW
PALETTES

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I've been really busy this weekend.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
My thought process on this:

"well ok, this wolf is gonna be a big shot in most games, so I should put effort into this. The wolf is going to be white leading up to black, mostly white though. Wait, there's a half of a rubric marine on the base. Since I did some proper highlights on that other one why not put in some more effort on this one. So there's a shoulder pad. Alright, what's the symbol that is usually on the left one for thousand sons? The main page for rubrics have an eye symbol that looks like the eye of horus on the right and an ouroboros on the left. And they're yellow. No. Not doing that. Well what do they do on the dead rubric on the store page for the wolf lord on thunderwolf. An eye in an 8 pointed star. Not bad let's give a shot at free handing an eye, i'm bad at drawing, what could go wrong?"

A while later, I'm very proud of how it all came out, even if my picture setup kinda sucks

And with the wolf on it

All the riders are next up on the block, and that's all that's left for a 2000 point army.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 11, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

They're all good, but I really dig those cultists. Where are those from?

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
I finally made the leap and picked up one of those easy to assemble starter sets for space marines to finally put paint on some minis. Using the opportunity to just mess around and try a lot of different stuff. This one took me about 4 hours to do. I tried a few things, did base coat, shade, tried to do highlights with dry brushing, as well as messed around with the base. I am going to try edge highlights on the next one but I think I'm doing something wrong as I bent the tip on the two detail brushes I tried to use. Currently using cheap synthetic brushes trying to figure out what I am doing to beat them up so fast.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Nunes posted:

I finally made the leap and picked up one of those easy to assemble starter sets for space marines to finally put paint on some minis. Using the opportunity to just mess around and try a lot of different stuff. This one took me about 4 hours to do. I tried a few things, did base coat, shade, tried to do highlights with dry brushing, as well as messed around with the base. I am going to try edge highlights on the next one but I think I'm doing something wrong as I bent the tip on the two detail brushes I tried to use. Currently using cheap synthetic brushes trying to figure out what I am doing to beat them up so fast.

I love me some cheap synthetic brushes (particularly when you are starting out and more likely to gently caress up and damage a brush) but their one big drawback; They all eventually get a J-tip (the tip bends like the letter J). Now, I will say that you are INCREDIBLY unlucky if it happened to 2 brushes in a 4 hour span, I've got some cheap brushes that I've been using for more than a year which are still fine, I've had a couple which got it incredibly fast, but thats a couple out of I dont know how many brushes, and by incredibly fast I still mean "longer than an afternoon". I've heard that using the middle of the brush rather than the tip can cause it to happen faster, but still, one 4 hour session? Make sure you are cleaning them thoroughly and regularly throughout your painting session and try to paint mainly with the tip (I mean, dont panic about it, sometimes you need to use the side of the brush, and the really beautiful thing about cheap synthetics is the word "cheap" so if you gently caress 'em up, oh well, they were cheap anyway.). I'm assuming you didnt drybrush with the detail brushes? That tends to be hard on brushes but I think makes them splay more than hook.

Anyway, for a short term solution; you can try to repoint them. if you have brush soap/conditioner that can help, theres a video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcYRR3DEniU abotu cleaning synthetics and fixing a hooked tip. I will admit I havent actually followed the steps in the video myself, but its gotta be worth a try if you have the products to hand.

On the upside, a) the J-tip can actually be useful for painting awkward areas (and I oddly find it easier to do a straight line with a J-tip than a straight brush, but that could just be me) and b) there is no such thing as a useless brush, merely a brush that has been relegated to drybrushing (cant ruin a brush thats already ruined after all) or applying texture pastes and PVA glue. If a regular brush is hosed beyond all hope I'll sometimes cut the tip off to make a poo poo detail brush into a decent drybrush.

Edit to add: Is that your literal first miniature? If so you're doing well! weathering on the boots looks really good!

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

A quick PSA for anyone who cares:

If you're looking for bulk wine corks for painting handles (in case you don't like the GW buttplug or whatever), Whole Foods stores will have a big box in the front of the store to recycle corks, and they don't care if people want to grab a handful or so for other purposes.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're all good, but I really dig those cultists. Where are those from?

I picked up these STL files since I was looking for solid, generic cultists.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Next Kill Team I'm painting up (since Dark Angels and Necrons are done) is Astra Militarum, using the wonderful "Valour Guard" series of models from Maker's Cult, which are fantastic DKOK proxies. Finished up the Sargeant today.

When I get some weathering pigments I'll make him more... Grungy, but I think this is a good start.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I feel like GW's tutorials have gone downhill since Duncan left. I get that the tutorials can't get too advanced but that face is.... not good for a professional painter.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That is way too badly done yeah, but I guess even GW painters can suffer from the curse of chalky paints.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

rakarth flesh is maybe the grittiest pot of paint in my collection so yeah i can believe that

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

That is way too badly done yeah, but I guess even GW painters can suffer from the curse of chalky paints.

The worst part of it is that they recommend 37 different paints for it (though that's a general GW tutorial problem).

jesus WEP posted:

rakarth flesh is maybe the grittiest pot of paint in my collection so yeah i can believe that

Huh, I paint a lot with rakarth flesh currently and have zero problems. Might be due to a couple drops of flow improver I put in it?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Winklebottom posted:

The worst part of it is that they recommend 37 different paints for it (though that's a general GW tutorial problem).

Huh, I paint a lot with rakarth flesh currently and have zero problems. Might be due to a couple drops of flow improver I put in it?

holy poo poo that's like my entire ... wait ... let met check ... ok that's like a quarter of all the paints I have just for one model

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

SiKboy posted:

I love me some cheap synthetic brushes (particularly when you are starting out and more likely to gently caress up and damage a brush) but their one big drawback; They all eventually get a J-tip (the tip bends like the letter J). Now, I will say that you are INCREDIBLY unlucky if it happened to 2 brushes in a 4 hour span, I've got some cheap brushes that I've been using for more than a year which are still fine, I've had a couple which got it incredibly fast, but thats a couple out of I dont know how many brushes, and by incredibly fast I still mean "longer than an afternoon". I've heard that using the middle of the brush rather than the tip can cause it to happen faster, but still, one 4 hour session? Make sure you are cleaning them thoroughly and regularly throughout your painting session and try to paint mainly with the tip (I mean, dont panic about it, sometimes you need to use the side of the brush, and the really beautiful thing about cheap synthetics is the word "cheap" so if you gently caress 'em up, oh well, they were cheap anyway.). I'm assuming you didnt drybrush with the detail brushes? That tends to be hard on brushes but I think makes them splay more than hook.

Anyway, for a short term solution; you can try to repoint them. if you have brush soap/conditioner that can help, theres a video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcYRR3DEniU abotu cleaning synthetics and fixing a hooked tip. I will admit I havent actually followed the steps in the video myself, but its gotta be worth a try if you have the products to hand.

On the upside, a) the J-tip can actually be useful for painting awkward areas (and I oddly find it easier to do a straight line with a J-tip than a straight brush, but that could just be me) and b) there is no such thing as a useless brush, merely a brush that has been relegated to drybrushing (cant ruin a brush thats already ruined after all) or applying texture pastes and PVA glue. If a regular brush is hosed beyond all hope I'll sometimes cut the tip off to make a poo poo detail brush into a decent drybrush.

Edit to add: Is that your literal first miniature? If so you're doing well! weathering on the boots looks really good!

It was the first batch of 4. You can see the others blurred in the background. Thank you for the info about the brushes. The J tip is exactly what happened to both. You have given me some stuff to watch out for now!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cross-posting from the scale modelling thread because... Pretty sure these could be used in a game, no problem:

Cthulu Carl posted:

Adding to the model ship chat, I finally got back to working on the 1:3000 IJN fleet diorama.

The next installments are the cruiser Aoba and the carrier/battleship hybrid Hyuga (Or maybe it's Ise, I dunno).

These went together with substantially less "Oh god"s and "Oh poo poo, where did that go?"s and I'm leaning to be a bit more.. Impressionistic? With the paintjob. They're tiny as gently caress, there's now point in getting too precious with them.

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 12, 2021

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

If anything the way they present those are bad because it all looks like a jumbled heap and doesn't really specify where they all go since its divided in the same manner as on the webstore. Instead of doing the smart thing and show where they all go on the model. Which would make things a helluva lot more readable.
But yeah, they are leaning hard on contrasts for pretty much everything these days. Which is both and a bad thing.

But at least they've dropped any mentions of the shitpile that is the Citadel painting app. v:v:v

Winklebottom posted:

Perhaps. But I've had issues with Rakarth Flesh before. Not as much as with Pallid Wych Flesh which has ruined more than one attempt at painting pale skin in the past.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Winklebottom posted:

drat what happened to just mixing paints for your shades and highlights...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That hasn't been a thing with GW for at least a decade by now.

You're not exactly going to hear GW make any real mention of it through their official channels.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
That's like $150 CND in paint. I mean you'll use it for other stuff but god drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There is probably also a lot of color overlap with the other models in the Vampire warband.