Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kavak posted:

Doesn't matter, we're all going to still be here unless the site dies before then.
Will we be able to determine which of us is the cleverest and wisest and best at Mage thinking by then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Nessus posted:

Will we be able to determine which of us is the cleverest and wisest and best at Mage thinking by then?

"who is the best at mage chat" is my zen koan

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tulip posted:

"who is the best at mage chat" is my zen koan
I think you've discovered a new thread subtitle!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I bought a second-hand copy of Reign of the Exarchs, so my project for the next little while is to adapt it to 2nd ed then finally run a Mage game.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Jesus Christ the years slip away

As if they were adrift on a wind, immaculate and unseen.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Nessus posted:

Ahem.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

You didn't say "You have to understand" or "Try to keep up" even once. Applesauce!

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Nessus posted:

You didn't say "You have to understand" or "Try to keep up" even once. Applesauce!
You aren't complaining that he's talking, so is it really even Magechat?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

nrook posted:

Imagine how great this thread could be if Etherwind were freed.

e: I still remember etherwind's ban mainly because it was immediately followed by the greatest post ferrinus ever made

I have no idea who the gently caress Etherwind is, but I did an archives search and can confirm that was indeed probably the greatest post ferrinus ever made.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Omnicrom posted:

I have no idea who the gently caress Etherwind is, but I did an archives search and can confirm that was indeed probably the greatest post ferrinus ever made.

Quote it, cowards

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

I have no idea who the gently caress Etherwind is,

You're missing out and not missing out all at the same time. If you can search archives, may as well take a trip and see what you're not really missing.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

Quote it, cowards

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
it's hard to distill down without context, and also it's basically just an insane aggro poster wishing death on an unrelated third party and Ferrinus dunking on them for it. it's really not as exciting as all the build-up here has made it sound lol

but since y'all asked

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Listen, I'm sure you know what everyone's politics are with exactly as much authority as past fans who have declared that I supported the Khmer Rouge, was an anarcho-primitivist and to top it all off, a member of the Nation of Islam.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Etherwind posted:

I broadly consider nWoD's politics and social commentary through the perspective of "Death of the Author", and while I know that's a figurative expression, your reply makes me wish it was at least partly literal commentary.

Ferrinus posted:

I, too, wish death upon my hated foe "MalcolmSheppard"

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It was funnier if you were there. "Ugh, I wish you were dead, dad!"

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I think the important thing is that that's Ferrinus's best post primarily by dint of comparison to all of his other, abominable posts. He's like the Nessus of people who can form a coherent thought.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's hard to distill down without context, and also it's basically just an insane aggro poster wishing death on an unrelated third party and Ferrinus dunking on them for it. it's really not as exciting as all the build-up here has made it sound lol

but since y'all asked

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 7, 2021

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The year is 2024. The Sons of Ether have won the Consensus War.

https://twitter.com/neighbours_wifi/status/1379843555234054147

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

oh, so that's what happened to etherwind.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

The year is 2024. The Sons of Ether have won the Consensus War.

https://twitter.com/neighbours_wifi/status/1379843555234054147

you fool, the sons of ether can only ever struggle, never win, the consensus war

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If I ever manage to get a promethean game running I already know I'm going to incorporate this dumb idea I had.

So in promethean, the Osirans are made through a ritual involving the flow of water over something humanoid-shaped that has been broken into various parts and reassembled but is missing a piece. There's a bit more than that but that's the short bit. They're very curious and scholarly, obsessively seeking out knowledge to a fault. Like all prometheans, they cause the area around them to wither in some fashion.

So in real life, there is a particular event I have in mind that matches well with the ritual that creates an Osiran. A group of people decided to jump into a river and they decided to throw a stolen statue into the river as well. The statue broke apart in the river and was carried away by the waters. It was until a couple decades later that any of the statue was found at all and it was mistaken for a body upon its retrieval. However, while they were able to find most of the statue, the statue is still missing an important piece. All of this fits in well with the Osiran creation rites. On top of that, after the statue was tossed into the river, an astonishing streak of bad luck fell on the team the statue thieves were celebrating through tossing things and people into the river. Here's a pic of the statue.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

but since y'all asked

if you click on Ferrinus's post, and then the lil ? button you get an amazing time capsule of posts battling ghost arguments

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just want to tell you this is fantastic and I support this 100%.

Nobody tosses the Colonel.

Loren
Nov 9, 2005
Master of Chaos
I've got some friends who want to play Vampire The Masquerade. I've DM'ed in D&D before but I've never been storyteller in Vampire. I know the lore really well etc but I'm struggling to pick an edition. I know my players want to do Masquerade but I can't decide between 20th Anniversary and Version 5. I've read some of the controversy stuff about Vampire 5 and the 'far right edge lord' stuff would be really off-putting to me and my players. At the same time though, I know my players are really used to the more simple mechanics in the latest edition of D&D, so that's an attractive aspect of V5.
Tl;Dr: I'm about to blow $100 on RPG PDF's and I want to know which version to get for a bunch of players who are fun+open minded but would be bothered by racist/problematic stuff being in a sourcebook.. Which ones should I get?
Edit: also to clarify, I know the lore differences between the two settings in terms of the Final nights and post week of nightmares stuff. It won't really matter either way to my players. I think a few of them have played Bloodlines but that's it.

Loren fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 8, 2021

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Game update from yesterday, we double-seshed and finished ~1 AM. Entirely blame myself for it, "the dog probably just died" was too obnoxious a cliffhanger to just sit there and everyone being awake at 23:00 and up for a bit more game was yeah, why not, it was very uni nerds energy.

For solo action the mechanic character had been threatened by the hulking coated figure on the bus already and the descendant-of-beowulf martial character got attacked in her flat already so wanted to give the hackerboy some solo action and set the ptsd vet up to be attacked next. Also we've retconned the group chat that it isn't an app anyone recognises and it opens the connection without anyone needing to 'answer a call', the characters can initiate conversations but they can't reject them unless they destroy the device (and even that wouldn't stop it).

The start of the session was the martial appreciating the mechanic for sorting out a place for her to stay, then the hackerboy and the veteran roleplayed through their downtime investigations and the moment they both rolled well and figured out a connection all the random unused wires littered around hackerboys squalid flat turned into the no-face snake things and they tried to strangle him/wriggle down his throat. In the build up to them getting closer to the discovery there was this very low shrill sound from the devices, it was upsetting the veterans dog enough that she put it outside, session one ended with the hackerboy having thrown off/hacked to pieces the creepy worm snake things, everything seems chill for a moment and then the veteran sees one of them wriggle out of her sink and her dog abruptly stops barking and starts making choking noises.

Unanticipated session two, yes the dog survived, I also completely hosed up the combat mechanics and we had to repeat a scene but oh well. Basically there's a proximal Big Bad that is tied to three bad groups so whatever the group goes after it will be relevant to the bigger plot. The three baddies are a London version of the Abbey (posh people that hunt monsters for fun, want to recruit the vet), some vampires that are on the cusp of thralling everyone in the council housing tower block hackerboy is living in and a monster-of-the-week Thing that seems to be scaring the kids around the mechanics turf, we really just set up those enemies up very loosely in a broader 'things seem to be getting scarier' chat though.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Tulip posted:

some of the best sessions have been ones where I didn't talk for 20+ minutes at a stretch because the PCs were all bouncing their ideas

No it is so much fun, it's so good as a GM to sit back and listen them play their characters and be genuinely into the game and all you have to do is listen and maybe pick up on a plot hook or two.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Loren posted:

I've got some friends who want to play Vampire The Masquerade. I've DM'ed in D&D before but I've never been storyteller in Vampire. I know the lore really well etc but I'm struggling to pick an edition. I know my players want to do Masquerade but I can't decide between 20th Anniversary and Version 5. I've read some of the controversy stuff about Vampire 5 and the 'far right edge lord' stuff would be really off-putting to me and my players. At the same time though, I know my players are really used to the more simple mechanics in the latest edition of D&D, so that's an attractive aspect of V5.
Tl;Dr: I'm about to blow $100 on RPG PDF's and I want to know which version to get for a bunch of players who are fun+open minded but would be bothered by racist/problematic stuff being in a sourcebook.. Which ones should I get?
Edit: also to clarify, I know the lore differences between the two settings in terms of the Final nights and post week of nightmares stuff. It won't really matter either way to my players. I think a few of them have played Bloodlines but that's it.

I believe all the stuff we complained about in V5 has been excised by this point, with the people behind it let go. If they're Bloodlines fans, go with the 20th, but if none of you have any lore preferences or familiarity with the systems, it probably doesn't matter.

Loren
Nov 9, 2005
Master of Chaos

Soonmot posted:

I believe all the stuff we complained about in V5 has been excised by this point, with the people behind it let go. If they're Bloodlines fans, go with the 20th, but if none of you have any lore preferences or familiarity with the systems, it probably doesn't matter.

Thanks! I figured that the weird stuff had been taken out of the rulebook in V5 but I'm scared that the pdf version on Drive Thru RPG wouldn't be updated etc. I ended up getting V20 and now I'm writing down notes on how stats work and figuring out how I'm going to contrive some situation for my 3-5 players to all be neonates together.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I would probably play V5 over V20, although I would also change the bonus from Predator Type from "one free Discipline dot" to "enough XP to buy the third dot in your clan Discipline" so that there's no incentive to always stack rather than branch out.

Loren
Nov 9, 2005
Master of Chaos

Ferrinus posted:

I would probably play V5 over V20, although I would also change the bonus from Predator Type from "one free Discipline dot" to "enough XP to buy the third dot in your clan Discipline" so that there's no incentive to always stack rather than branch out.

I'm less worried about my players doing metagamey/broken builds and more worried about them being reluctant to learn a new system and switch from a dungeon grindy style of play into a more narrative/social/political style of play. I've got one friend who knows her stuff with the lore and the way these kinda games go, but I think everyone else has only ever played D&D. My one friend who knows the game is gonna want to play a Tremere though so her presence creates more problems than it solves :negative:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

It's not about "broken", (it's not really "broken" for one person to have an effective 10 more xp than another), it's just making sure that no one ends up feeling like, gosh, I really want to play a character who does X, but if I made choice Y instead I'd have more points.

The other thing about V5 that I hear (but haven't played enough to experience) is that bestial failures/messy criticals can come up enough to feel disruptive or annoying, so you might want to scale how much one completely takes over a scene with just how many red dice come up 1 and what the existing stakes of the roll are rather than be like, whoops, you botched that lockpicking roll, this scene is now about your blood-soaked rampage.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Note that "disruptive/annoying" is a personal aesthetic thing that comes down to how much you instinctively resist the game mechanics taking over your character to make you enact tropes by narrative fiat. People who are really into PBTA type stuff or other games with more explicit metanarrative hooks might not mind that as much.

Loren
Nov 9, 2005
Master of Chaos

Ferrinus posted:

whoops, you botched that lockpicking roll, this scene is now about your blood-soaked rampage.

Yeah that does not sound fun. I think I'll stick with V20 and then do my best to kind of blend it lore wise with our current times and the good ideas from V5(Shreknet being compromised, new inquisition, etc) I'm also trying to set the game in Cleveland+Detroit since that's our geographic area and it's a lore friendly place to mess around as far as I know. Rust belt isn't Sabbat territory, right?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I've played a fair amount of V5 by now and yeah, I would recommend it if you had a new group of D&D5 players. From what I've seen people pick it up quickly.

As for what to get, I would start with the core book only, don't worry about the other material unless everyone is ready for more. You could also give it a try with the Quick Start pdf and the pregen characters from that.

There are 2 downloads I would consider 'mandatory' with the core book, for the GM: the V5 rules errata on the modiphius site, and the V5 companion which has more rules errata, but for some reason, not all of it. Some of this errata overwrites stuff from the other errata.

So all together you end up with these printing runs:
V5 core book: August 2019 (this is the second printing, it contains all errata up to August 2019) (If you are buying a physical copy for some reason, check the print run date on the front page, it should say 'second printing' or higher.)
V5 errata (free): September 2019
V5 companion errata (free): December 2020 - this has important changes like blood surge and bane severity increases

Ferrinus posted:

The other thing about V5 that I hear (but haven't played enough to experience) is that bestial failures/messy criticals can come up enough to feel disruptive or annoying, so you might want to scale how much one completely takes over a scene with just how many red dice come up 1 and what the existing stakes of the roll are rather than be like, whoops, you botched that lockpicking roll, this scene is now about your blood-soaked rampage.

The V5 Companion errata adds a rule to let players 'take half' (count half their dice pool as a success) instead of rolling. Basically to avoid hunger complications from messy crits/failures. They had an interesting designer comment along with this new rule, that V5 was run this way during the playtests but it never got formalized into the core book. But the intent is to give 'more control to the player in regard to hunger and its potentially volatile effect on otherwise mundane situations'.

V5 play definitely has a gameplay loop where, as character hunger rises, that character really needs to feed and has a high chance to gently caress up all kinds of things until they do. If they continue playing like everything is fine, everything will not be fine. A character with no/low hunger is at a huge advantage over someone with a few points of hunger, since they can spend willpower to influence rolls and so are mostly immune to messy/bestial fails.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Loren posted:

Yeah that does not sound fun. I think I'll stick with V20 and then do my best to kind of blend it lore wise with our current times and the good ideas from V5(Shreknet being compromised, new inquisition, etc) I'm also trying to set the game in Cleveland+Detroit since that's our geographic area and it's a lore friendly place to mess around as far as I know. Rust belt isn't Sabbat territory, right?

I mean to be clear I did recommend V5 over V20 because I think it's cleaner even despite the flaws I mentioned. V20 does have this advantage: if you're a Masquerade vet, you know exactly what you're in for, and basically all the old content exists in pretty much its original form. V5, meanwhile, is still under construction.

Loren
Nov 9, 2005
Master of Chaos
Okay so it sounds like V5 is the way to go for smooth mechanics in regards to feeding, blood pool, frenzy, etc. I've been reading through the V20 PDF section on character creation and storytelling- but I'm having a blast and now I'm really curious about V5 too so I'll probably grab it to compare.

I'm almost kind of upset that the choice between the two editions exists since they both seem to have things to offer from a lore/RP and mechanics standpoint.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Loren posted:

Okay so it sounds like V5 is the way to go for smooth mechanics in regards to feeding, blood pool, frenzy, etc. I've been reading through the V20 PDF section on character creation and storytelling- but I'm having a blast and now I'm really curious about V5 too so I'll probably grab it to compare.

I'm almost kind of upset that the choice between the two editions exists since they both seem to have things to offer from a lore/RP and mechanics standpoint.

No matter which edition your choose, the main challenge will be bringing them from a D&D mentality to a more narrative focus. I eventually got my D&D group to branch out to stuff like WoD and Cthulhu but it took some handholding. We did a bunch of system one-shots at first to get their feet wet, where I would basically be the only one that knows the rules, and translated their intent into rules so they don't have to worry about it. Just 'oh you want to do X, ok, roll this many dice', and slowly explain how it all works instead of firehosing them.

Loren
Nov 9, 2005
Master of Chaos

ritorix posted:

We did a bunch of system one-shots at first to get their feet wet, where I would basically be the only one that knows the rules, and translated their intent into rules so they don't have to worry about it..

This is a great idea! Maybe I can make a brief Prelude Chronicle with pre-made sires from the 1970's(when the mob ran things in our region of the USA) just to get them used to the idea of how things can go from both a social/narrative perspective and from a combat/mechanics point of view. Then the players take over 50 years later after everything has fallen into decay and the local entities require 'new blood'

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Heck, just run WoD games as though they were dungeons and dragons. Particularly in V5 arguments use basically the same mechanics as fights anyway. Can your party defeat the "harpy makes fun of your outfit" encounter in the "visit Elysium" raid??

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ritorix posted:

The V5 Companion errata adds a rule to let players 'take half' (count half their dice pool as a success) instead of rolling. Basically to avoid hunger complications from messy crits/failures. They had an interesting designer comment along with this new rule, that V5 was run this way during the playtests but it never got formalized into the core book.

:staredog: ... isn't the point of a playtest to test the rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Heck, just run WoD games as though they were dungeons and dragons.

That's what you always say!