Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The more I get used to Spiral Thrust (Lance switch skill) the more I love it. It gives Lance a nice flashy, dynamic move. Helps make up for the loss of Iceborne's claw counter (one of the single coolest moves in the game, on a weapon nobody used). What a dope move.

I tried Hammer again, but ran into the same problem that I did with it in Iceborne: I love the special attacks (claw moves in IB, silk moves on Rise) but the rest of the moveset just doesn't click with me. I have a much easier time bonking the head with Hunting Horn (same as in World/IB) because it has so much neutral-position swing variety. The bonks aren't as hard, but I can land them more consistently. No biggie, this is why we have 14 unique weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Every weapon feels like cheating after a certain point

I started using the resonance bead with the healhorn and dear god I’m unkillable now

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I'm running out of things to do. Time for obsessively collecting every single armor set I guess :v:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Not a Children posted:

Every weapon feels like cheating after a certain point

I started using the resonance bead with the healhorn and dear god I’m unkillable now

I had more trouble when I tried this because it was throwing me off my usual attack pattern and I was getting damage a lot more.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Get your loving subcamps scrubs. Annoying hunting in 6* and 7* and fighting the monster solo for several minutes before the people still using palamutes show up.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Any tips for getting Quality Stomachs in MHGU? I've been killing ants but just getting Altaroth Stomachs.

I only need two and I can finish my set of Seltas Queen Armor I want for fighting the Valstrax, so it's very annoying.

I thought you had to wait till they ate before killing the Altaroths, but that doesn't seem to be it.

Kiranico shows it as the reward for some quests, with better than drop RNG: https://mhgu.kiranico.com/item/593a0

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

Get your loving subcamps scrubs. Annoying hunting in 6* and 7* and fighting the monster solo for several minutes before the people still using palamutes show up.

Isn't it based on the host like in World? I remember discovering camps because other players had them unlocked.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Any tips for getting Quality Stomachs in MHGU? I've been killing ants but just getting Altaroth Stomachs.

I only need two and I can finish my set of Seltas Queen Armor I want for fighting the Valstrax, so it's very annoying.

You might have to kill them after they have eaten and are engorged. Poison smoke bombs are ideal if you haven't been using them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Isn't it based on the host like in World? I remember discovering camps because other players had them unlocked.

I don't think so? For Rise I've directed friends to the sub camp locations, it sounded like the camp wasn't an option for them to warp to, but they'd get the trigger to unlock it.

orphean posted:

I'm running out of things to do. Time for obsessively collecting every single armor set I guess :v:
Go through the deco list and make enough so you can get any skill up to max. (Or, at least, as much that makes sense - you'll probably never get gear with 7 Tier-2 Slot Gems, so 7 Attack Up Decos is probably overkill.)

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Pretty sure no. Or at least if you have more than the host it overrides it and lets you use them anyway.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Beat the final boss!

The fight is really unique, and it utilizes the wirebug mechanics in a way that doesn't feel like it's just slamming in your face with the gimmick at all times. The monster looks cool as heck, and it's threatening without being overbearing. The music was REALLY good, though that's no surprise. I definitely won't mind farming this thing. I made her Heavy Bowgun because it looks kind of neat - single-shot reload on all elemental Piercing Ammo asides from Thunder (which has normal-sized clips) is really unique, even if it's not the best at all of them probably it's at least appealing for Thunder and I don't believe I made anything else for that, so I don't regret my purchase.

Now I just need to fight Rakna-Kadaki one more time to get its HBG final upgrade, and I think I'll have a good HBG for every element except Water. And also excepting Dragon because it's "special" and gets super small clips so that's not viable. Then I'll have to see what I can do about making elementally-focused sets and practice to see if I can make them powerful. And lots of new, somewhat-required decorations I can make as well. This game ain't over yet, no way no how.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
I feel like the end boss is a pretty samey fight that quickly loses its luster. The same stage gimmicks happen at the same times, the monster always does its pattern. Big spectacle bosses are kinda aMH thing but they’re never my favorite fights

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Been playing around with SnS and while the drill stab looks cool as hell and is great for status and stuff, I can't stop bonking monsters into stun loops with the shield bash. It wasn't this strong in World and GU I'm pretty sure. It's nuts with even one point of Slugger.

Monster Puncher Rise.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
The Juryatodus urgent took me 35 minutes so I decided to jump into online and see if I could bang out my keys/urgents quickly. We did the rathian in good time and then the one dude triple carted to basarios :v: gonna work on upgrading all my dual blades to at least the 150 raw level before I try soloing any more I think. The 130 raw magnamalo/Almudron ones just don’t quite cut it at high rank

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I've been lagging behind on my Hub quests, should prolly work on those at some point.

Do Village quests ever break into High Rank or is that solely gonna be Hub stuff?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I've been lagging behind on my Hub quests, should prolly work on those at some point.

Do Village quests ever break into High Rank or is that solely gonna be Hub stuff?

Village is entirely Low Rank. Hub is what you want.

If you do all of Village, you get special quests that will skip you through the Low Rank tiers right into High Rank in Hub.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 9, 2021

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Village is all low rank and is really an extended tutorial. But at the end of it you unlock a mission that lets you skip to high rank tier in the Hub if you don't want to do double low rank stuff.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Village is entirely Low Rank. Hub is what you want.

This is why I skipped the last level of low rank and jumped into HR Hub.

I probably should have finished Village lol. Might have had better weapons to use

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I mean play however you want for the content you want. It was just nice the devs put in a process for people who completed Village to go straight into HR after the fact.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh good to know, I just beat Mango and hit 5* village so I'll just keep chipping away at it. In between endless weapon swapping because I can't help myself. Did smack the big evil villain monster with my horn though as was foretold.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Been trying to learn the HBG but keep getting bodied by Rathalos. His 90 degrees fireball, followed by a sweep, just wrecks me and I don't think I am good enough yet to pressure him consistently.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Those fireballs are a lot hotter than 90 degrees, let me tell you.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
Rath is extra spicy in Rise, they totally reworked him and it’s nice to see the ol guy so spry.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

orphean posted:

Rath is extra spicy in Rise, they totally reworked him and it’s nice to see the ol guy so spry.

I decided to take my shiny new insect glaive out for a spin against HR Rathalos, and I never felt so free. Constantly battling for air supremacy and twirling around like a maniac. Managed an 8 minute kill and an extremely anime diving wyvern tail cut during a midair scuffle. I'm very glad I decided to join the circus.

Bonus fact: Having all three buffs for IG gives you earplugs apparently. LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LAUGHALOS

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Devlan Mud posted:

Inspired by a post a few pages ago I made my cart callout message "go back 2 dauntless u scrub" and got a pubbie so mad about it in a join request mission he sat at camp to type out that I was a bum, then went and intentionally carted twice to fail the hunt. :thumbsup:

Yeah, it's a keeper.

Yeah, don't do this.

Sometimes things happen in such a way that getting carted is unavoidable. Being a dickhead to people when that happens isn't cool. If you want to be smug about your superior play, play by yourself.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm up to 4* Village and 3* Hub. When does high rank stuff begin? I'm asking because I'm still using my Izuchi armor, I'm excited to make more, but I'm still cruising along fine with this. If I remember my experience with GU accurately there are high rank armor sets, correct?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
My other-person-cart callout is "Don't give up, we need you!" because I am a nice person.

My self-cart callout is "Oh confound it all."

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm up to 4* Village and 3* Hub. When does high rank stuff begin? I'm asking because I'm still using my Izuchi armor, I'm excited to make more, but I'm still cruising along fine with this. If I remember my experience with GU accurately there are high rank armor sets, correct?
HR starts at 4* Hub. There's no HR for Village quests. And yeah, there are HR armour sets that basically make LR stuff kinda meaningless. HR Izuchi armour is a pretty good transition HR set once you can get it, though.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Wildtortilla posted:

All village is LR. HR hub starts at 4. If you blast through village you get quests in Hub that let you skip the ranks up to HR, but at this point since you've been doing both I guess that doesn't matter.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Novasol posted:

I decided to take my shiny new insect glaive out for a spin against HR Rathalos, and I never felt so free. Constantly battling for air supremacy and twirling around like a maniac. Managed an 8 minute kill and an extremely anime diving wyvern tail cut during a midair scuffle. I'm very glad I decided to join the circus.

Bonus fact: Having all three buffs for IG gives you earplugs apparently. LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LAUGHALOS

I think that is part of the problem because I played IG up until now and it evidently made me lazy enough to never really learn the monsters' moves because you can just clown all over them from above. But I finally got Rathalos down after switching to a support palico and giving the dog the "taunt" weapon.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Star posted:

I think that is part of the problem because I played IG up until now and it evidently made me lazy enough to never really learn the monsters' moves because you can just clown all over them from above. But I finally got Rathalos down after switching to a support palico and giving the dog the "taunt" weapon.

IG looks so cool when I see other people playing it. All I do is pound heads with hammer or blast with the LBG. It's not nearly as flashy. What set are you using?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I tried a lot of weapons!

I got to the “end” with hammer mostly

Gunlance: man blast dash is so fun. Also man blast dash feels like it is not your greatest option half the time lol. It’s so weird to see a big attack coming and just... stand there and poke the monster. I kept getting the feeling that actually I should be going for the charged shelling style not the unload all your bullets into the face style (I crafted Rathian with high level Normal shelling)

LBG: holy poo poo this feels awkward. Might be I wasn’t using the ideal ammo with a good LBG and didn’t have the right armor and all that but it just felt like I was tickling the monster I was absolutely playing this wrong. Also the controls are so different

Dual Blades: actually kinda fun?? The impression I got was these are the button mashy weapon and they kind of are but you’re so mobile and jumping in the air and headshotting things it’s cool. I can see the constant element management getting annoying - I only crafted a good Fire one to test it out and guess how many monsters are completely immune to fire (a lot of monsters)

I’m gonna go back and do Switch Axe now that i can get an easy rapid morph 3 and see if I like that style

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Tekopo posted:

HR starts at 4* Hub. There's no HR for Village quests. And yeah, there are HR armour sets that basically make LR stuff kinda meaningless. HR Izuchi armour is a pretty good transition HR set once you can get it, though.

Meridian posted:

All village is LR. HR hub starts at 4. If you blast through village you get quests in Hub that let you skip the ranks up to HR, but at this point since you've been doing both I guess that doesn't matter.

Thanks! I recently picked up GL and I only have a few hunts with it under my belt but I love it. I just clowned Khezu so hard with my Aknosom GL. Now I want to make Basarios armor to make GL even more badass, but I don't want to blow resources if HR armor will be available to me soon.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Wildtortilla posted:

Thanks! I recently picked up GL and I only have a few hunts with it under my belt but I love it. I just clowned Khezu so hard with my Aknosom GL. Now I want to make Basarios armor to make GL even more badass, but I don't want to blow resources if HR armor will be available to me soon.

Yeah honestly I wouldn't. Just get to HR, craft up a basic attack boost/crit eye set and go buck wild with your favorite weapon until you unlock everything. Then you grind.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Meridian posted:

IG looks so cool when I see other people playing it. All I do is pound heads with hammer or blast with the LBG. It's not nearly as flashy. What set are you using?

I'm still in HR6 and haven't unlocked everything yet but I have mainly used the izuchi set as a foundation and then complemented that with minor pieces from other sets depending on the skills I want. I've also used a couple of different elemental IG's depending on the monster I am fighting, even though I know that the narg one is "the best" based on aff.

I can highly recommend IG, it's so fun to zoom through the air and you feel nigh untouchable at times.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
By unlock everything do you mean hunt all the mons and do requests to fill out the equipment trees?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Meridian posted:

Yeah honestly I wouldn't. Just get to HR, craft up a basic attack boost/crit eye set and go buck wild with your favorite weapon until you unlock everything. Then you grind.

It’s subjective but personally I prefer crafting gear along the way, even if it means I “waste” time building something that’s not endgame viable. Upgrading and trying out new gear is fun, speedrunning to the end and then only building endgame stuff means lots of gear never gets a chance to shine.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Having not gotten past the main story of MHW, how does removing the HR cap work? Is it like Diablo where you can set the difficulty of the monsters near infinitely so numbers always go up? Or do you just increase in HR while you and the monsters remain the same?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

stev posted:

Or do you just increase in HR while you and the monsters remain the same?

It's this. Sometimes hitting HR thresholds unlocks new quests though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Yeah you'll get quests for some new mantles and types of pigments for armor at pretty high HRs.

e: I actually think I misremembered and the mantle stuff was pretty high MRs in iceborne. I think you just get a few quests for HR in base world.