Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
what a nice fellow, awesome bike for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Can I ask about dual sport poo poo in here or should I go to that creepy ADV thread?

I wanna do poo poo like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP50pvIqHKY

From my home in Denver. So, a good bit of slab. Couple day trips. Probably staying at hotels and not camping.

A KTM 500 EXC F a good place to start? I think they look rad. Maybe the Six Day version?

Not looking for a do it all motorcycle. Good with a dirt bias. Have a CBR1000RR that I've done a bit of sport touring on.

Never ridden a dirt bike on dirt before, but I've got a good dozen years of mountain bike riding and racing. If that counts for anything.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

dema posted:

Can I ask about dual sport poo poo in here or should I go to that creepy ADV thread?

I wanna do poo poo like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP50pvIqHKY

From my home in Denver. So, a good bit of slab. Couple day trips. Probably staying at hotels and not camping.

A KTM 500 EXC F a good place to start? I think they look rad. Maybe the Six Day version?

Not looking for a do it all motorcycle. Good with a dirt bias. Have a CBR1000RR that I've done a bit of sport touring on.

Never ridden a dirt bike on dirt before, but I've got a good dozen years of mountain bike riding and racing. If that counts for anything.

Dema! I remember you from the road cycling thread a few years back before I switched to dirt biking. I actually thought about you the other day when I saw a miata with a bike rack on the back.

If you have motorcycle and mountain biking experience, you should be able to pick up dirt biking pretty quick. From a skill standpoint, this looks like mostly nice dirt roads to me. Some of the areas are a little steep and loose rock but not all that bad, might be tricky on a big bike but easy peasy on a small bike. The exposure is pretty extreme but thankfully the width of the roads are pretty wide. Its definitely not tight single track or anything so I imagine you would be more than fine on any dual sport bike around that size. I wouldn't want to ride a 1200gs through this but some mid size enduro bike should be able to handle it with ease.

That looks like a really awesome ride though.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
That much road and that kind of dirt and I’d get a dr650. But more dirt, yes a 500 is great. Even with that much dirt a 500 is great, it’s just a bit of a waste I think.

builds character fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 16, 2021

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
if you have cash to splash you can get the six days version for bling but aside from the billet triple clamp there's not a whole lot you get for the money and pain in the rear end (every dealer wants to sell you a sob story about how hard to find and rare they are).

as long as you're paying attention to the maintenance schedule people say they're quite reliable bikes. Oil changes can be extended to 2-3k miles depending on how hard you're riding it but you do need to be dilligent about knowing where the valves are at. this means regular valve checks and adjustments when necessary. if you can do those base requirements then the rfs engine bikes shouldn't give you too much trouble (350, 450, 500)

this is all what i've read/am hoping anyway since i got loving f150'd before i could put more than 500 miles on my brand new FE501 i bought last year.

some other options you can look at are the honda CRF 450L, the Husqvarna FE501 (same engine etc as the ktm, but prettier white/blue colors and different rear suspension if you have Opinions) or god forbid, the KLR/DR650

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Razzled posted:

this is all what i've read/am hoping anyway since i got loving f150'd before i could put more than 500 miles on my brand new FE501 i bought last year.

wtf? did you already post about this somewhere? I thought you were still brapping it up on that thing

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Jazzzzz posted:

wtf? did you already post about this somewhere? I thought you were still brapping it up on that thing

yeah deets are in the crash thread, this is the first month i've been able to type with both hands. things are progressing, slowly but surely, but i sure do miss riding

dema
Aug 13, 2006

drat, sorry to hear about your crash.

The Honda CRF 450L is on my radar too. I've got a little brand loyalty for Honda motorcycles. But for some reason, at least in pictures, they're a lot cheaper looking to me. I'll have to check one out in person.

Verman posted:

Dema! I remember you from the road cycling thread a few years back before I switched to dirt biking. I actually thought about you the other day when I saw a miata with a bike rack on the back.

Ha! Those were the days.

Verman posted:

If you have motorcycle and mountain biking experience, you should be able to pick up dirt biking pretty quick. From a skill standpoint, this looks like mostly nice dirt roads to me. Some of the areas are a little steep and loose rock but not all that bad, might be tricky on a big bike but easy peasy on a small bike. The exposure is pretty extreme but thankfully the width of the roads are pretty wide. Its definitely not tight single track or anything so I imagine you would be more than fine on any dual sport bike around that size. I wouldn't want to ride a 1200gs through this but some mid size enduro bike should be able to handle it with ease.

Yeah, from forums I've read, those are doable on a full size ADV bike, if you have the skill, but not much fun.

Guess my current thinking is to error on the side of something smaller and more dirt capable as long as doing ~300 miles of fun, two lane, paved roads in a day isn't too unreasonable.

dema fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 16, 2021

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Razzled posted:

if you have cash to splash you can get the six days version for bling but aside from the billet triple clamp there's not a whole lot you get for the money and pain in the rear end (every dealer wants to sell you a sob story about how hard to find and rare they are).

as long as you're paying attention to the maintenance schedule people say they're quite reliable bikes. Oil changes can be extended to 2-3k miles depending on how hard you're riding it but you do need to be dilligent about knowing where the valves are at. this means regular valve checks and adjustments when necessary. if you can do those base requirements then the rfs engine bikes shouldn't give you too much trouble (350, 450, 500)

some other options you can look at are the honda CRF 450L, the Husqvarna FE501 (same engine etc as the ktm, but prettier white/blue colors and different rear suspension if you have Opinions) or god forbid, the KLR/DR650

The valves never move, fwiw. Adjust once at an hour and then check at 50 hours and I don't know anyone with valves that have moved at all after that.

CRF450L is too heavy and underpowered for the same maintenance and price, IMO.

Husqvarna comes with, iirc, some extras - like halfway between the regular ktm and the six days, but it has a different subframe that some folks are skeptical of for luggage (and others think is fine and use so... ).

I still think a dr650 is way better for this type of riding. Obviously the solution is to get a 500 and ride more single track + this riding.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

builds character posted:

Obviously the solution is to get a 500 and ride more single track + this riding.

Sweet. I'm sold.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dema posted:

Sweet. I'm sold.

Not joking though. I have a 450 which is really the 500 with slightly higher revs and less grunt and while it's not as light or flickable as a two stroke it is awfully close. It's also fine for that kind of dirt road, but it'll make you want to ride at pace and it's uncomfortable for sitting vs. a dr650.

If what you actually want to do is ride those trails, dr650. If you want to just ride dirt and also those trails, 500.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
yeah and before you think a seat concepts seat will solve the issue with the seat, it won't. (but mine sure looks nice :D)

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I ordered some sumo wheels for my 500 a few days ago, thanks Joe biden. I hate the waiting for them to be made and then ship.

I think I'm just gonna keep it sumo'd and buy a dedicated dirt bike for off-road like a 150sx, which is like 20lbs heavier than an xr100 and makes like 4x the power.

Actually... That mught be a wicked cheater supermoto bike against 250 4-strokes just due to the weight advantage

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Oh also the 500 is the perfect motorcycle hands down and you can't go wrong regardless of your goals and type of riding

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Not that I'm biased or anything

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

ya lol the 500 is so so good. my dad snagged one and I am quite jealous

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

500excf type r posted:

I ordered some sumo wheels for my 500 a few days ago, thanks Joe biden. I hate the waiting for them to be made and then ship.

I think I'm just gonna keep it sumo'd and buy a dedicated dirt bike for off-road like a 150sx, which is like 20lbs heavier than an xr100 and makes like 4x the power.

Actually... That mught be a wicked cheater supermoto bike against 250 4-strokes just due to the weight advantage

Can you just run a 250 2t?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
hows the 350 dual sports? I've got a 07 klx250 and a newer-ish 350 is what ive been eyeing to get a little more power and a little less weight for the road transits and single track respectively. Can't really justify a dual sport and a trail bike and do a mix of forest road wandering and single track riding.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

hows the 350 dual sports? I've got a 07 klx250 and a newer-ish 350 is what ive been eyeing to get a little more power and a little less weight for the road transits and single track respectively. Can't really justify a dual sport and a trail bike and do a mix of forest road wandering and single track riding.

Better at single track than the 500. Worse at the highway. I would get a 500 if you have to drive any distance at 65+ or a 350 if you’re doing more single track and less transit.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

builds character posted:

Can you just run a 250 2t?

if i wanted to race in an smx open class I could but that would limit the power:weight advatage against the 450s etc

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I didnt race at all last year and barely rode so i guess ill see what i can do on an xr100 come june 6th (race 1) and go from there. no reason to play with big bikes if i cant do it on a small one

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

500excf type r posted:

if i wanted to race in an smx open class I could but that would limit the power:weight advatage against the 450s etc

Oh, then a 150sx would be just silly.

500excf type r posted:

I didnt race at all last year and barely rode so i guess ill see what i can do on an xr100 come june 6th (race 1) and go from there. no reason to play with big bikes if i cant do it on a small one

Plenty of time to get back in the swing of things.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TotalLossBrain posted:

I picked up this 30 year old Yamaha RT 100 today. The PO restored the bike to drat near new condition. It's a blast to rip around on this little thing. Perfect for the starter bike I wanted.

I sold this guy today :3:
My 16-year old outgrew the KLX140 and moved up to a KLX300. My 13-year old moved from the little Yamaha to the 140.
I sold it for $100 than I paid for it, taxes excluded. And I did buy a bunch of new parts for it - tire, chain, brakes, grips, misc OEM parts. Great bike.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Well, just bought a 2021 250 xc-w TPI today. Has just a couple hours on it. Guy decided he wants a Harley instead.

Now I need to figure out shipping. Then, new foot pegs, new tires, rad guard, fan, put on my clake 2 and some handguards and I'll be all set.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Nice.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
hell yeaaaaaaaa

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

clakes are so loving nice, but my god, bleeding them and setting them up is such a pain in the dick

then again, last time I did one I think I was like 18 or 19 and it was probably my second or third time ever bleeding a hydraulic system lol

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

builds character posted:

Well, just bought a 2021 250 xc-w TPI today. Has just a couple hours on it. Guy decided he wants a Harley instead.

Now I need to figure out shipping. Then, new foot pegs, new tires, rad guard, fan, put on my clake 2 and some handguards and I'll be all set.

So pretty 😍

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Oh yeah, ended up snagging a 500 exc f a few weeks ago. Not nearly as sexy as the above 250, but I love it anyway.

500excf type r posted:

Oh also the 500 is the perfect motorcycle hands down and you can't go wrong regardless of your goals and type of riding

I'm going to have to agree. Was a bit worried about freeway riding to get to the mountains, but it's pretty great. Sure it tops out at ~95 mph, but it gets there quick and doesn't feel wrung out or anything. Not like the Ninja 300 I had for a minute.

And honestly, at legal-ish speeds, I think it's more fun on the road than my CBR1000RR.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dema posted:

Oh yeah, ended up snagging a 500 exc f a few weeks ago. Not nearly as sexy as the above 250, but I love it anyway.

I'm going to have to agree. Was a bit worried about freeway riding to get to the mountains, but it's pretty great. Sure it tops out at ~95 mph, but it gets there quick and doesn't feel wrung out or anything. Not like the Ninja 300 I had for a minute.

And honestly, at legal-ish speeds, I think it's more fun on the road than my CBR1000RR.

That's such a nice bike. I think it really might be the one do-it-all bike when it comes to off-road. You might try the goldentyre fatty front and uh, rear that I forget but can look up if you're interested. Both DOT legal and supposed to last a long time and way better on the dirt than the tkc80s. Those are fine but definitely not as good and I found that they were fine until they weren't but when they let go they just suddenly let go and that was that. Still very strongly recommend doing the jd tuner + taking reeds out of the airbox + drilling the last two screens out of the exhaust. Huge difference and helps a lot with flameouts. Bike runs much cooler. Just be careful because MPG goes down. Uncorked like that, I could get my 450 up to 100 on sand (closed course race only, of course!).

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

To both bikes.

Edit: Is that Gross in the background? :anime:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Corked, my 500 had no problem registering 100 on the speedo, now it can do it even easier. Idk how fast it goes because the speedo stops at 100 which took me awhile to figure out. I'd glance down and be doing 100 and go oh oops and after the 5th time I started to think it was awfully weird I always caught myself exactly at 100.

Definitely do the mods because the flameouts are annoying AF and it really makes things better.

My sumo wheels are still not made yet so I'm not gonna have them until May some time =(

dema
Aug 13, 2006

IDK if it impacts the top end, but I'm also at 5280 ft plus elevation.

Will for sure want some more power out of it but I'm fine for now. Little more focused on getting a feel for the dirt. Those Goldentyre tires sound good. I'll look into that. Thanks for the info.

Also sub 100 mile range might not be great. I'll have to get some more experience to see if that would be an issue for me. Though, I guess getting a bit larger of a tank wouldn't be a problem.

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Edit: Is that Gross in the background? :anime:

Correct!

dema fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 9, 2021

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
stop enjoying your new bikes everyone >:(

i'm heading up to windrock park this weekend for some camping, always wanted to check it out on my FE and maybe on the mountain bike too. but now i'm gonna just be 4x4'ing it..
sucks cause some of the video i saw looked exactly like the poo poo i like-- long windy double track

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Just out of curiosity, what's the service/maintenance intervals of the new ktm 500? I know a lot of dual sport bikes really vary from just a few hours to a few thousand miles. Bikes more focused on dirt seem to run much shorter where as those more capable on road seem to be longer.

My wr250f for instance is like 4-6 hours or like 400 miles (between oil changes). That would be the only thing I would watch/worry about if you're going on long road rides. Nice thing on road is you're not constantly feathering the clutch like you would be the equivalent time on a technical trail.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

500excf type r posted:

Corked, my 500 had no problem registering 100 on the speedo, now it can do it even easier. Idk how fast it goes because the speedo stops at 100 which took me awhile to figure out. I'd glance down and be doing 100 and go oh oops and after the 5th time I started to think it was awfully weird I always caught myself exactly at 100.

Definitely do the mods because the flameouts are annoying AF and it really makes things better.

My sumo wheels are still not made yet so I'm not gonna have them until May some time =(

Huh. I did not know that. I assume I went 200mph then. At least. It certainly felt like it anyway.

dema posted:

IDK if it impacts the top end, but I'm also at 5280 ft plus elevation.

Will for sure want some more power out of it but I'm fine for now. Little more focused on getting a feel for the dirt. Those Goldentyre tires sound good. I'll look into that. Thanks for the info.

Also sub 100 mile range might not be great. I'll have to get some more experience to see if that would be an issue for me. Though, I guess getting a bit larger of a tank wouldn't be a problem.

Correct!

Elevation steals power from everywhere.

I know you think you don't want more power but trust me you 100% definitely want this kind of more power. It makes the whole engine smoother and run cooler and as you start riding more on dirt it will help you stall less (which is what I mean by flameouts - stalling). IMS makes a very good 3.1 or 3.2 gallon tank.

Verman posted:

Just out of curiosity, what's the service/maintenance intervals of the new ktm 500? I know a lot of dual sport bikes really vary from just a few hours to a few thousand miles. Bikes more focused on dirt seem to run much shorter where as those more capable on road seem to be longer.

My wr250f for instance is like 4-6 hours or like 400 miles (between oil changes). That would be the only thing I would watch/worry about if you're going on long road rides. Nice thing on road is you're not constantly feathering the clutch like you would be the equivalent time on a technical trail.

it depends a lot on how you're riding them. I would probably do an oil change every thousand miles if I were dual sporting it. The guidelines in the manual are for racing as an A level racer where you're constantly on the throttle. Riding single track, I do every every ten hours and that's been fine so far.

Razzled posted:

stop enjoying your new bikes everyone >:(

i'm heading up to windrock park this weekend for some camping, always wanted to check it out on my FE and maybe on the mountain bike too. but now i'm gonna just be 4x4'ing it..
sucks cause some of the video i saw looked exactly like the poo poo i like-- long windy double track

My new bike is closer to you than me and I haven't gone riding in a month and a half thanks to work. It's terrible. I might die.

At least you can go check it out for later.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

builds character posted:

I’m not sure how you go from that bike to a Harley but it seems to have worked in your favor so I’m not gonna question it

dema
Aug 13, 2006

builds character posted:

I know you think you don't want more power but trust me you 100% definitely want this kind of more power. It makes the whole engine smoother and run cooler and as you start riding more on dirt it will help you stall less (which is what I mean by flameouts - stalling). IMS makes a very good 3.1 or 3.2 gallon tank.

Oh, I always want more power. And easier to ride is double extra good. Just don't want to do it right away. Too many times I've fallen into the trap where I get something new, throw a bunch of money into upgrades and like, I don't even really appreciate them because I don't really know the baseline.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m not sure how you go from that bike to a Harley but it seems to have worked in your favor so I’m not gonna question it

Guy in his 50s and I think he discovered his hips aren’t quite as flexible as they used to be and he doesn’t bounce back anymore after his fall. But yeah, I’m not going to dissuade him. Comes with a bunch of extras and literally only a few hours on it for $1500 less than MSRP. And the guy is a friend of a friend so close enough to know he’s not scamming but far enough away that we can never speak again and I can just be mad at PO things if there are any issues.

dema posted:

Oh, I always want more power. And easier to ride is double extra good. Just don't want to do it right away. Too many times I've fallen into the trap where I get something new, throw a bunch of money into upgrades and like, I don't even really appreciate them because I don't really know the baseline.

fwiw, it’s the fatty front and the gt333 rear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

dema posted:

I waited a full year before I modded my bike because I wanted to get used to it stock. The cost isn't all that much, only takes a few minutes to do, and it makes the bike so much more rideable.

Like lol wheelies and all that because I'm dumb but essentially eliminating flameouts on its own is worth it. Getting a flame out in the middle of traffic sucks and is dangerous but it's annoying AF even in the driveway.

Also you're the only one on the planet that knows the bike stalled itself out and everyone just thinks you can't use a clutch