Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Ometeotl posted:

That's weird, it's on mine

i feel like i can't respond to this without turning into one of the guards who either can only lie or only tell the truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

New Super Metis posted:

i feel like i can't respond to this without turning into one of the guards who either can only lie or only tell the truth

But what if you only lie then you can respond to it :thunkher:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Weedle posted:

honoring the life and memory of prince philip by playing the most racist video game i can find

God speed. Make sure your Intel(TM) SLUR SENSOR CENSOR(R) is calibrated accordingly.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

That's weird, it's on mine

lmao

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

wuggles posted:

Simone it took you a long time to get an avatar but you made it count

Wait, I have an av?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Holy crap!!!! Thank you whoever!!!!!!!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Simone Magus posted:

Wait, I have an av?

about time!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Hell, its about time- starcraft 2 marine voice

Maybe someone bought you for your birthday

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

Holy crap!!!! Thank you whoever!!!!!!!

drat someone out there got good taste, congrats Simone!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Been catching up with the thread. In order of importance:

Simone your new av rules, I enjoy your posts, and belated happy birthday

Rest in piss Prince Philip.

I got to Yggdrasil in Dragon Quest XI and hahaha the game has loving FF6-ed me, just how long is this wonderful game? :allears:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Cat needs to reduce its equip load to get the good rolls

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Also on a separate note, I made mitarashi dango tonight

Why yes, I have been playing Monster Hunter Rise, how could you tell?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mode 7 posted:

Been catching up with the thread. In order of importance:

Simone your new av rules, I enjoy your posts, and belated happy birthday

Rest in piss Prince Philip.

I got to Yggdrasil in Dragon Quest XI and hahaha the game has loving FF6-ed me, just how long is this wonderful game? :allears:

Yep that was just Act 1!

DQ 11 kinda like Okami in its "but wait.... there's more!" structure now that I think about it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
+1 for Simone's av

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Mode 7 posted:

Looks tasty, did you sing the song?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Regy Rusty posted:

Yep that was just Act 1!

DQ 11 kinda like Okami in its "but wait.... there's more!" structure now that I think about it.

Even moreso I'd say because the game gives you like, literally no reason to think it isn't ending at that part. It's nuts how long DQ11 is really.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh I think I was spoiled but even if I wasn’t coming fresh off Dragon Quest VII, aka the streamlined remake of “we can put SO MUCH GAME in these disks if we use lovely sprites and crappy basic 3D models instead of going the Final Fantasy route” and remembering how beefy 8 and 9 with all its postgame poo poo are probably would have conditioned me to not think the game was over after “only” 30 hours.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Mode 7 posted:

Great white clouds, puffy and light

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
DQ7 is the answer to "What if video games, but too much?"

Weedle
May 31, 2006

this one-sentence summary of half-life is killing me. boy must he ever

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Simone Magus posted:

DQ7 is the answer to "What if video games, but too much?"

I have never played Dragon Quest. I am actually curious, is there anything to the franchise beyond shonen medieval fantasy archetypes? What do you find compelling about the gameplay?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mkvltra posted:

I have never played Dragon Quest. I am actually curious, is there anything to the franchise beyond shonen medieval fantasy archetypes? What do you find compelling about the gameplay?
there isn't, that's kinda the whole point of dragon quest. hearing that a common bedtime ritual in japan is playing a little dragon quest until you fall asleep put things into perfect perspective for me

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Dragon Quest is sorta the comfy, charming bedtime story RPG series. Not in the sense of "it's boring and will put you to sleep," but more in the sense that it's a comfortable setting with often-relaxed gameplay and a whole lot of charm. It's something you can play to just kick back and have a nice time. There's just enough depth and interactivity in the combat to make it fun (assuming you like turn-based combat to begin with) but not so much to be intimidating or require a ton of thought or planning.

The stories are never particularly complex but they're pretty good and usually carried by interesting, charming characters.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm pumped for the SaGa Frontier remake but I'm more excited about the possibility of a SaGa Frontier 2 remake.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
They finally destroyed Philip's phylactery.

Ding dong the lich is dead.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i like the old dragons quest but i only play them on my phone. they are practically idle games

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
DQ11 really is like an overload of charm, especially with the excellent English VAs. Sylvando is obviously good but the Magic Sisters are very excellent as well

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
dq7 especially is the ultimate dragon quest because it consists almost entirely of the self contained small vignettes that i like so much in the series, and the time travel gimmick lets you see the aftermath of your heroic actions. there's the town that worships a volcano prophesized to explode on them, the town besieged by killer robots, the town of the neverending soap opera, and the town you show up too late to save

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Weedle posted:

this one-sentence summary of half-life is killing me. boy must he ever

Look Gordon, ropes

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

Wait, I have an av?

It's a good avatar!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looper posted:

dq7 especially is the ultimate dragon quest because it consists almost entirely of the self contained small vignettes that i like so much in the series, and the time travel gimmick lets you see the aftermath of your heroic actions. there's the town that worships a volcano prophesized to explode on them, the town besieged by killer robots, the town of the neverending soap opera, and the town you show up too late to save

Somehow I've never played it but I really should. I've heard the 3DS remake of it is really good. Maybe I'll get it after the SaGa Frontier remaster

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

It's a good avatar!

Heck yeah it is! :hf:

I'm off to work =\

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

Somehow I've never played it but I really should. I've heard the 3DS remake of it is really good. Maybe I'll get it after the SaGa Frontier remaster

the 3ds version is better in just about every way! my only complaint is that it removes an early tutorial dungeon that imo sets the mysterious mood of the early game really well, but most other people agree that it's a waste of time

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Looper posted:

The volcano town owns because it’s the one time in the series that has a super elaborate payoff for the But Thou Must thing in like every JRPG ever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gonna be listening to TWEWY music all day thanks to that new trailer

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Harrow posted:

Gonna be listening to TWEWY music all day thanks to that new trailer

Uzuki's new outfit is making me feel a way.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Gotta squeeze in a replay of TWEWY when I finish up Dragon Quest XI.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

RIP Prince Phillip
1921-2018

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A TLOU remake is the dullest news I’ve heard. Throwing people into the crunch mines to tell the same story people played through nine years ago, just lame as hell. Has Naughty Dog fixed their poo poo yet or was that all swept under the rug because game good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mix. posted:

TWEWY Neo has an official release date, July 27th. It's also looking to have a larger cast this time around, as well as a few more returning characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSVYX1FLMGQ

Been waiting for that for years. :woop: