Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Louisgod posted:

imo let the plague ships loose, nobody learned a god drat thing last year when dozens were stranded at sea so gently caress it.

yeah i'm becoming more of a fan of "gently caress it, let everything open up" because the only way anyone's gonna take anything seriously is if they have to say goodbye to their loved ones on ipads

my family's rapidly becoming part of vaccinated respirator crew and i'm tired of caring about other people's health more than they do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Louisgod posted:

imo let the plague ships loose, nobody learned a god drat thing last year when dozens were stranded at sea so gently caress it.

If anyone tests positive during the cruise, the ship sits offshore until it burns itself out.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Louisgod posted:

"Going on a Cruise"

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'll only go full 'gently caress 'em' if the next generation of vaccines is fully sterilizing for all possible varients. Until then the actions of these people impact me.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

wrong thread!

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

"Going on a Cruise"

what’s happening here and whats the source?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

inferis posted:

Cruising; RoyalCaribbean.com

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Thoguh posted:

I'll only go full 'gently caress 'em' if the next generation of vaccines is fully sterilizing for all possible varients. Until then the actions of these people impact me.

If you want maximum ghoulishness you want a perfect vaccine against disease that's 0% sterilizing, to Marek's the chuds

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

beloved liberal institution ProPublica brags about forcing schools to stay open

notice how the preview image prominently features people who are not white

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1380264883170766863

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

inferis posted:

Logan's Run Carousel Scene

It's a classic Science Fiction film from the 70s

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Their gonna win the case and it'll further solidify the loving batshit idea that the government can't take any action to deal with the outbreak of a contagious disease.

I like how Sleepy Joe continued the Trumpian strategy of letting States do whatever they want whether it's banning mask mandates or demanding the cruise ships be allowed to restart business.

For the god tier comrade Xi response it was the national government creating and tracking a actual nation state game plan.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Business Gorillas posted:

i'm tired of caring about other people's health more than they do

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

SKULL.GIF posted:

We gotta open up these multigenerational minority families in order to achieve herd immunity

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

etalian posted:

Logan's Run Carousel Scene

It's a classic Science Fiction film from the 70s

is it like a suicide carousel?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

etalian posted:

I like how Sleepy Joe continued the Trumpian strategy of letting States do whatever they want whether it's banning mask mandates or demanding the cruise ships be allowed to restart business.

For the god tier comrade Xi response it was the national government creating and tracking a actual nation state game plan.

Trump let states shutter down tho, Biden allows a state level strategy but it better be opener up

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Me, watching idiots go out and get and spread COVID: lol, morons, this is just like watching people touch a hot stove.

Me, a few weeks later: What the dickens why is my hand burned too.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

brugroffil posted:

Cruising; RoyalCaribbean.com

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Its endlessly funny to me how you've made it out in your mind that you really care about peoples health and then post big drunk rants about how bad obese people are and how good BMI is :laugh:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

inferis posted:

nah, they think they're being taken to a higher plane of existence

but they're just being turned into red mist

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Its endlessly funny to me how you've made it out in your mind that you really care about peoples health and then post big drunk rants about how bad obese people are and how good BMI is :laugh:

I mean what's the difference between obesity and smoking or fentanyl or whatever other dumb chud poo poo, no one in the blue areas is obese

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

inferis posted:

To ruin the movie plot twist

For population control no one in the Logan's Run setting can live past a certain age of 30.

However to trick the people to into essentially committing suicide they created the myth of the Carousel ceremony that some people will get reincarnated/renewed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wjXpTDuHiE

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

SchnorkIes posted:

I mean what's the difference between obesity and smoking or fentanyl or whatever other dumb chud poo poo, no one in the blue areas is obese

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This guy got a hair up his rear end because he sincerely believes that being 30+ BMI is meaningless, he's actually "brawny" and "husky" from hauling rocks around.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

SKULL.GIF posted:

surprise, the dude that wrote the piece is white, what a shocker

https://www.propublica.org/people/eric-umansky

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Louisgod posted:

surprise, the dude that wrote the piece is white, what a shocker

https://www.propublica.org/people/eric-umansky

Also not suprising white people had the lowest impact for both their bank account and job security since white collar jobs can be done via worked for home.

Meanwhile poor neighborhoods in NYC like Queens / Bronx had a much high case rate and also death toll from COV19

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

SKULL.GIF posted:

This guy got a hair up his rear end because he sincerely believes that being 30+ BMI is meaningless, he's actually "brawny" and "husky" from hauling rocks around.

Keep attacking other disabled groups my man it's a super good look. BMI lmao

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

etalian posted:

Also not suprising white people had the lowest impact for both their bank account and job security since white collar jobs can be done via worked for home.

Meanwhile poor neighborhoods in NYC like Queens / Bronx had a much high case rate and also death toll from COV19

sounds like they need to grab their boostraps and open biden

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lol even ProPublica wants to kill kids

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I don't have a personal fight in the BMI thing since I'm tall and skinny but it really is a dumb measurement outside of a narrow range. This man is slightly overweight based on BMI:

this man is even more overweight!

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

etalian posted:

To ruin the movie plot twist

For population control no one in the Logan's Run setting can live past a certain age of 30.

However to trick the people to into essentially committing suicide they created the myth of the Carousel ceremony that some people will get reincarnated/renewed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wjXpTDuHiE

lmao and it turns out what they were wrong about was that you would have to trick people into it

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
We've talked about undertesting itt before, but here is a clear cut example of it:

https://wcyb.com/news/local/local-covid-19-hospitalizations-surge-among-unvaccinated-exceeding-fall-peak posted:

Local COVID-19 hospitalizations surge among unvaccinated, exceeding fall peak

JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. — Local hospitals are reopening more COVID-19 wards as a troubling fourth wave of cases hits our region.

Hospitalizations shot up dramatically, doubling from a low of 60 three weeks ago, and now up 30 percent in just one day to nearly 130.

Ballad Health COVID-19 hospitalizations through April 7, 2021. (WCYB Graphic)

Health experts are surprised it's increased so fast. Cases haven't risen nearly as much.

“There is far more disease in our community than the positive cases are picking up,” Ballad Health chief infection prevention officer Jamie Swift said. “I think people aren't getting tested. I think there's a lot of people that assume their symptoms are related to allergies.”

New COVID-19 cases each day for Carter, Greene, Hancock, Hawkins, Johnson, Sullivan, Unicoi and Washington Counties in Tennessee; Buchanan, Dickenson, Lee, Russell, Scott, Smyth, Tazewell, Washington and Wise Counties and the cities of Bristol and Norton in Virginia; and Harlan, Leslie and Letcher Counties in Kentucky. Red line is the 14-day moving average. Yellow line is Ballad Health's recommended level to control the spread: an average of 5 new cases per day per 100,000 people over the last 14 days. (WCYB Graphic)

Ballad Health now projects a peak around 160 hospitalizations. We've already surpassed the fall surge, but with 20 percent of the region fully vaccinated, Ballad officials don't expect it to be nearly as bad as during the winter.

It's younger people who just became eligible for the shots fueling the rise. The unvaccinated and people in between their first and second dose are now getting sick.

“We've got 30 year olds, 40 year olds, 50 year olds, 60 year olds in the hospital this week,” Swift said.

Ballad chief operating officer Eric Deaton said Monday he’s worried whether nurses can handle the additional stress and trauma.

“We have activated our behavioral health units to continue to meet with our team members on a weekly basis to understand if they're having any burnout or other issues,” Deaton said.

Health officials said this surge is mostly due to spring break trips and people largely no longer wearing masks.

Just 30 percent of our region has taken at least the first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, and demand is down in Northeast Tennessee. It pushed the Tri-Cities vaccination rate to drop below the national rate for the first time Thursday.

Health experts hope it's a wake-up call to get more people vaccinated.

“If they see the numbers, if they realize, 'I need to make the time. This needs to be a priority. I need to get my vaccine,' we really can turn this around,” Swift said.
I hope this isn't as common as I expect it is.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

bmi is for populations, not individuals

hth

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

im gonna guess the folks he serves in wisconsin are Xtra large

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Congrats to ProPublica for killing teachers

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
i dunno ive never heard of a restaraunt having to change all their chairs in :ca: cuz their customers got too fat lol

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

it can be a rough guide for individuals

is your bmi high? simply look at yourself: are you an athlete? no? then it probably means you're unhealthy. yes? you're probably fine

just because lebron james is healthy at a high bmi doesn't mean you are lmao

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

inferis posted:

lmao and it turns out what they were wrong about was that you would have to trick people into it

A double feature of Logan's Run and Soylent Green feels president at the moment.

EDIT:
Also Silent Running

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

fits my needs posted:

i dunno ive never heard of a restaraunt having to change all their chairs in :ca: cuz their customers got too fat lol

because mass obesity isn’t an individual level problem

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

fits my needs posted:

Tbf if you fare is like 3000 calorie mega-burritos it sounds like a rational conclusion if you're open long enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

bmi is for populations, not individuals

hth

Lottery tickets being a bad investment is for populations, not individuals.