Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does zipline work on non powered cables?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

priznat posted:

Does zipline work on non powered cables?

Yep

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

And it works uphill as well, as long as it's not too steep

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wowee that is cool! Gonna be like spider-engineer

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Has Coffee Stain commented on if conveyer belts clipping through each other at 90 degrees is intended behaviour? I'm getting to a larger sized factory and the idea of routing a 4 belt by 4 belt passthrough when I can just clip is a nighmare.

I think it's semi-intended insofar as having belts with really strict clipping rules would be awful.

Yeah, you can get away with having belts pass completely through each other. But if every time a tiny corner of belt clipped on another belt or a rock it was illegal, putting down belt on anything but open empty foundation grid would suck. It's already bad enough that you can't make a 90 degree turn around the corner of a machine because the belt curves into the machine's bounding box a tiny bit.

priznat posted:

Wowee that is cool! Gonna be like spider-engineer

Jumping from one cable to another isn't super-easy, and particularly it now means you don't want to build arrow-straight power lines. At least, not if you want to use your power lines for transport. (Because if the next cable is on the opposite side of the power pole, you're kinda boned without a jetpack.)

On a different note I figured out this:

Klyith posted:

OTOH one of the two recent patches has broken my cyclotron cannons! It wasn't update 4 in general, they were fine at first. I think it was the most recent one where they were trying to fix the zipline throwing people into orbit in multiplayer. Fuuuuck.
The cannon design still works perfectly in a testing world, so I think the problem is that I am getting some framerate loss while using the cannon in my real save. The downside of hypercannons is their physics is changed by framerate, and cyclotrons are particularly vulnerable since they're so fine-tuned.

When I switched to U4 it set my graphical options to all Ultra, and though I turned some stuff down I think it needs a bit more.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Klyith posted:

Jumping from one cable to another isn't super-easy, and particularly it now means you don't want to build arrow-straight power lines. At least, not if you want to use your power lines for transport. (Because if the next cable is on the opposite side of the power pole, you're kinda boned without a jetpack.)

Yeah, it's a bit finicky, and it's probably not faster across normal terrain (at least not faster than using blade runners), but it's super handy for chasms, gaps, and going up cliffs especially (or down to avoid falling damage).

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
They need to add in high tension power lines. I want to zipline from the top of the waterfall into the dune desert in one shot.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BrainMeats posted:

They need to add in high tension power lines. I want to zipline from the top of the waterfall into the dune desert in one shot.

There was a neat hack of using the watchtowers for that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpZdCFwBrFk

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BrainMeats posted:

You can gimmick the double-wall connectors into being a fairly good-looking middle point for super-long wires. Like so:

Kinda ends up looking like the balls on high-tension wires?

(not worth doing unless you're on a straight line grid, or have micromanage)

priznat posted:

There was a neat hack of using the watchtowers for that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpZdCFwBrFk

Hmm, love the quick build/unbuild positioning, but don't really like the look of watchtowers as power poles.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Gully Foyle posted:

Yeah, it's a bit finicky, and it's probably not faster across normal terrain (at least not faster than using blade runners), but it's super handy for chasms, gaps, and going up cliffs especially (or down to avoid falling damage).

As of right now, I think that ziplines and blade runners are the same speed on level terrain. Inclines favor blade runners (depending on how navigable the terrain is), declines favor ziplines.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Synastren posted:

As of right now, I think that ziplines and blade runners are the same speed on level terrain. Inclines favor blade runners (depending on how navigable the terrain is), declines favor ziplines.

Not if you’re doing the slide hop boost thing, then even without blade runners you are faster. Unless you are going uphill...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sweeper posted:

Not if you’re doing the slide hop boost thing, then even without blade runners you are faster. Unless you are going uphill...

IIRC the slide hop doesn't make you go faster when wearing blade runners. Your jump is super high, but forward speed is unchanged.

And for transportation speed, the zipline might equal a blade runner while you're moving, but unless you guys are way better than me at doing the jump from line to line, the occasional miss makes a big difference.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So I'm finally going back and continuing my stupid project after taking a break for a few months, and I started building a lattice of walkways underneath my megastructure until i realized something terrible - I can't actually build stuff on walkways.

I've been going pretty vanilla so far but this is definitely gonna hurt my plans long-term since i wanna do some large scale fluid stuff under here, is there a suggested mod that's good for that?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So I'm finally going back and continuing my stupid project after taking a break for a few months, and I started building a lattice of walkways underneath my megastructure until i realized something terrible - I can't actually build stuff on walkways.

I've been going pretty vanilla so far but this is definitely gonna hurt my plans long-term since i wanna do some large scale fluid stuff under here, is there a suggested mod that's good for that?

No mods needed for that one. The pipe wall support can also attach to the bottom of foundations.

That gets you 90% of the job, but when you use those to hang pipe on a ceiling, you have an issue where pipes of different liquids cross since the wall supports can't adjust height. But then you get the other useful thing to know: you can build pipe, conveyor, power poles, etc onto walkways and many other surfaces that apparently don't allow you to build, if you're continuing from an existing thing. So like you can't directly build a power pole onto walkway, but you can build power line attached to any other socket, then point at the walkway and get the automatic pole.

And lastly, there's a super-trick for building on places where the game doesn't want you to build: drop some plates on the ground. They're a valid surface for everything.

(Also, if you switch to update 4, you can build foundations snapped to walkway edges, which would make temporary foundations to build on easy.)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I was exploring the edge of the desert biome a bit and found some areas that look very unfinished, but there were drop pods there that don't seem to be marked on the online map yet:

One of them needed motors to open, I don't remember the other one, but it might have been motors as well. Neither of them needed power.

e: And if you walk past that and look over the edge, you get rewarded with this very pretty view:

Tamba fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 4, 2021

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Tamba posted:

I was exploring the edge of the desert biome a bit and found some areas that look very unfinished, but there were drop pods there that don't seem to be marked on the online map yet:

I just picked up those exact two pods a few days ago, they were added in the patch. They weren't on the map probably because you were in the "early access" map tab, but were playing "experimental" which is the test-patch before it goes official in a week or two.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
God

drat

I

loving

love

lights

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Okay, those oil-drilling-looking gas generator platforms are awesome looking.

I waste way too much of my time making big square buildings. I need to make some stylish stuff like that!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Have they said any changes are coming before release to the main branch? Getting antsy about playing with lights!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hope they do a performance pass before pushing it to everyone, I've been getting irritating stutters in my game and it really puts a crimp on playing. Haven't really figured out the cause, my best guess is when moving around and the game is loading/unloading parts of my factory because it doesn't happen when I'm far away from my base but inside my base it's constant.

My factory isn't even one of those crazy megabuilds. :iiam:

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Have they said any changes are coming before release to the main branch? Getting antsy about playing with lights!

They just did a rebalance of aluminium last week. I think that they are targeting the 16th for release so there shouldn't be anything significant.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I need mods to come back before I jump back in, playing without smart! is a chore for me now :haw:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Have they said any changes are coming before release to the main branch?

April 13th is supposed to be the release for EA, so I doubt they're doing anything but bugfixes now.

They did a balance update halfway through the experimental cycle. Plutonium got a major buff for electricity generation, to make it a more interesting choice between using it or sinking it. The sink value is effectively 50% of what it was (points are the same but production was cut in half) so that side is mostly good for just not having waste to deal with. And if you take the waste you get a crapton of power.

quote:

Getting antsy about playing with lights!
My verdict on lights is that there are two ways to use them:

If you want to solve the "it sucks to build at night" problem, you probably want to turn down the graphics light quality and use multiple lights in the same area, pointing from different angles. The lights are the cheapest directional light, so a single light isn't enough for precision work because shadows are still pitch black and there's no ambience. IMO to work comfortably I'd want 3-4 lights of coverage everywhere.

OTOH if you just want enough lights to get around your factory at night, you can turn the light quality up to ultra and use a restrained number of them. This is what's in my screenshots -- I only have about 50 total lights throughout the whole complex and they're spaced out pretty well, just enough to illuminate stuff. I don't do a lot of work at night, instead I wander around and admire my factory.

Last light trick: HSV value 52 .77 .65 makes for really nice streetlights, if you're nostalgic for high-intensity sodium.

xzzy posted:

I hope they do a performance pass before pushing it to everyone, I've been getting irritating stutters in my game and it really puts a crimp on playing. Haven't really figured out the cause, my best guess is when moving around and the game is loading/unloading parts of my factory because it doesn't happen when I'm far away from my base but inside my base it's constant.

Loading and unloading parts of the factory is unlikely, unless you have a massive sprawling complex. Loading & unloading parts of the world is possible -- there are a couple spots on the map that regularly cause a slight hitch for me when I go through them, because that's where the detail terrain of another biome gets loaded. If you happened to build your factory on one of those spots it could be doing that.

Other possible things:
1. Video options: the update to U4 experimental reset a lot of my settings for graphics to Ultra. Check that, maybe you've got settings turned up but it's only exceeding your horsepower every once in a while.

2. Lights? Lights have a performance cost and they scale linearly, so 10 lights is 10 times more load than one. Lights also turn on and off by distance, so I could see coming in range of a bunch of lights causing a hitch.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Have they fixed the building status lights? From a distance most buildings have red status for me then I get closer and they change to yellow/green depending on their loading etc.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

Have they fixed the building status lights? From a distance most buildings have red status for me then I get closer and they change to yellow/green depending on their loading etc.

No, and afaik that's a performance thing -- buildings don't animate / visually update above a certain distance, and the indicator light is included in that.

Not sure why stuff always starts out red for you though. When the building first loads it gets the proper color for its status (but then doesn't change if you're outside the update range). That works fine for me.

Are you getting the bug where when you load your save you get the *bzzzt* power grid tripped sound, but it doesn't actually trip? I could see that making all your machines load with the red indicator. AFAIK they seem to have fixed that bug in U4, at least I don't see people complain about it any more. Plus the power batteries solve it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

No, and afaik that's a performance thing -- buildings don't animate / visually update above a certain distance, and the indicator light is included in that.

Not sure why stuff always starts out red for you though. When the building first loads it gets the proper color for its status (but then doesn't change if you're outside the update range). That works fine for me.

Are you getting the bug where when you load your save you get the *bzzzt* power grid tripped sound, but it doesn't actually trip? I could see that making all your machines load with the red indicator. AFAIK they seem to have fixed that bug in U4, at least I don't see people complain about it any more. Plus the power batteries solve it.

I don’t recall the power trip noise, and I think I still saw it on the experimental build I briefly tried out. It is a really minor issue but I would still occasionally be “oh poo poo what happened” then when I got closer they would switch over to the real indicator.

It even happens when I was in an area where the machines are ok, then I leave it and see them as red when I come back. Weird!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Klyith posted:

Loading and unloading parts of the factory is unlikely, unless you have a massive sprawling complex. Loading & unloading parts of the world is possible -- there are a couple spots on the map that regularly cause a slight hitch for me when I go through them, because that's where the detail terrain of another biome gets loaded. If you happened to build your factory on one of those spots it could be doing that.

Other possible things:
1. Video options: the update to U4 experimental reset a lot of my settings for graphics to Ultra. Check that, maybe you've got settings turned up but it's only exceeding your horsepower every once in a while.

2. Lights? Lights have a performance cost and they scale linearly, so 10 lights is 10 times more load than one. Lights also turn on and off by distance, so I could see coming in range of a bunch of lights causing a hitch.

I've been slowly turning settings down trying to find the cause but haven't quite settled on the fix yet. Everything was set to ultra but that's how I had it on the last version (same map/factory too) so it still feels like a new behavior to me.

I've actually avoided adding any lights because I don't want the performance hit. :downs:

I guess the biome loading makes the most sense (factory is in the north central, east of that big V shaped body of water where the four iron nodes are).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
From the Modding discord:

quote:

Hi <@&829446270300586015> ! Mods do not work on update 4 yet, but we have something to share with you!
The last (known) issue we had just got resolved, thanks to the wonderful people at CSS. This means that the modding tools can finally be fully updated
**We do not have a release date**. Please do not *ask* for a date
Keep in mind that after the tools are updated, mods are going to need updating too, and some mods will sadly never be updated. We will do our best to keep a list of mods and their current state + if we expect them to get fixed
Keep an eye out for the next announcement, who should be the one that tells you all about the release of the updated tools
Happy modding !

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

priznat posted:

I need mods to come back before I jump back in, playing without smart! is a chore for me now :haw:

bascially this but powersuits instead of smart!

after getting used to a suped up powersuit it is PAINFUL trying to move around with just a jetpack or the fastlegs

EDIT: oh and let's not forget I have to take those off and put on a special suit instead to not die if I take the train to sellafield

chairface fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 10, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

And passive, don't forget the passive mod for those of us who suck at combat.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

xzzy posted:

I've been slowly turning settings down trying to find the cause but haven't quite settled on the fix yet. Everything was set to ultra but that's how I had it on the last version (same map/factory too) so it still feels like a new behavior to me.

I guess the biome loading makes the most sense (factory is in the north central, east of that big V shaped body of water where the four iron nodes are).

Hmm, world loading wouldn't be my first guess in that area, but you could try turning down your view distance?

Another thing I just remembered: do you have pet lizard doggos? A group of doggos will cause frequent lag spikes whenever you enter into their awareness range, because they try to pathfind to you. (They see through walls so putting them in a box doesn't help.) Multiple doggos all pathfinding at once is a bit CPU hit.

I have like 6 doggos at my home base, so I get a lagspike every time I fly in via hypercannon. Makes landing a bit tricky. But my "home" base is tiny and I hardly spend any time there anymore.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

From the modding Discord

quote:

Good news @everyone ! :alpaca:
SML3 and the Update 4 modding tools have been released!
This includes the Mod Manager (SMM), ficsit.app (SMR), the mod loader (SML) and the modding documentation!

This release is compatible with Update 4, which is currently on Experimental, and will be merged into to Early Access tomorrow. But!

:octagonal_sign: That doesn't mean that you will be able to play modded in Update 4 right away. :octagonal_sign:

:warning: The Mod Manager incorrectly reports U3 mods as compatible with U4.
This will be fixed very soon. Read below for more details.

:warning: The Mod Manager is experiencing some problems with Update 3 content.

Although we have given mod devs advance and access to the tools to update, most mods still need to be updated for the new game version. This will take time, and some mods will sadly not make the transition, as their creators may have moved on. That being said, we are sure that the community will do their best to bring the maximum of mods back to a working state.

How do I know when a mod is ready for Update 4?

Starting tomorrow, it'll be easy! When U4 is released to the Early Access branch, every Update 3/SML2 mod will be marked as outdated on ficsit.app and the Mod Manager. After that point, any mod that isn't marked as outdated should be compatible with Update 4.

Can I use my modded Update 3 saves in Update 4?

It depends on the mod, but the answer is most likely 'yes.' SML3 has a system in place to help with this transition, so assuming the mod dev has not made major changes to their mod, it should work. However, if a mod has not yet been updated, you will lose its content if you try to play before that mod is ready.
Wondering what will happen if you load a save with mods missing? Check the #faq.
Making an Update 3 Backup Copy

In order to help ease the transition to Update 4, we highly recommend that you make a backup of your Update 3 (Early Access) copy of the game. This way, you can still keep playing on your Update 3 copy of the game while mods are being updated. Note that you must do this before downloading the Update 4 version of the game, or you can't go back. You can simply copy your game files over to somewhere else. This copy will not get updated, and SML2 mods will still work on it. Keep in mind that the Mod Manager will be unable to work with that copy, though.

Note: for Epic users, you may need to add -EpicPortal as a launch parameter to open this copy of the game. A quick online search will tell you how to do that.

As always, if you have any question, you can ask it in the appropriate channel (generally #help-using-mods ) after checking the #faq and #announcements channels, then using Discord search to see if it has been answered before.

Happy Modding, and have fun!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Some dope Hall of Doom stuff you got there.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Update 4 is now out on Early Access.

I just remoted into my home PC and switched it from Experimental to Early Access and steam didn't have to patch anything (which is what usually happens when you switch between the two), so it looks like for this one moment, the two branches are identical.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
trailer, with dope synthwave track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qd1yvk0CuQ

Bobulus posted:

I just remoted into my home PC and switched it from Experimental to Early Access and steam didn't have to patch anything (which is what usually happens when you switch between the two), so it looks like for this one moment, the two branches are identical.

Yeah that's their normal practice, when it's done they bring experimental and the main branch into sync.

You definitely want to jump over to EA because AFAIK experimental stops getting updated until the next time they start working on new stuff.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

nvm the passive mod has not been updated.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 13, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Love that trailer. Their trailers are great for recruiting more friends to try out the game, very effective!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
God, the hover pack is such a quality of life upgrade

The only problem now is I’ll have to front load power instead of that being the very last step, always

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Personally I tend to lay out power lines just for the hoverpack and then worry about setting up poles for the actual factory buildings afterwards. Especially if I finish by putting a roof over it and wiring all the power to ceiling poles, although not all my factories are indoors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

Personally I tend to lay out power lines just for the hoverpack and then worry about setting up poles for the actual factory buildings afterwards. Especially if I finish by putting a roof over it and wiring all the power to ceiling poles, although not all my factories are indoors.

Same, I do a ring after the fact on the walls now after I am done building for future hovering in and outside of my plants.